The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

I use that face detect a lot on my X10 with pics of the grandkids. Works very well most of the time. IIRC there's another feature with a confusingly similar name in the menus, face recognition maybe?
Just been trying to get it to work. When it is turned on, a grid pops up. You have to line the eyes up in the grid, and capture a face. The face is then stored, you can then enter a name, and DOB etc. I really don't see the point of it. I certainly won't bother to use it. Probably more of a gimmick.

The sound no longer works on my Fuji X10 :(. It is not in silent mode, and no other silent modes have been activated. I have re set the camera a few times, but it makes no difference. No sound whatsoever, no shutter sound and no sound when playing video. The sound is present, when playing the recorded video, on a pc. The sound has been gone for a while now, but everything else works. I know it is not worth repairing the camera. I will continue to use it, till it gives up totally. Still plenty of fun left in this little camera. :)

19694-1520068333-78281e7a2589acb1e16235bb05308ed7.jpg

A walk along the canal, with the Fuji X10. Just a very quick snap, it was too cold to hang about.

Well, I might have just re-joined you - I had an X30 previously and sold it - it was my walkabout camera. I've tried Canon's G16 and Sony's RX100M3 and was thinking about getting a Fuji X-E3 with the new 15-45 powered zoom but hey, it's a £1000 package and I cannot justify that. Then along came another X30 and it was too much to pass by. I just want something, small, light and robust (where the Sony failed) with good IQ and a zoom lens.

Well, I might have just re-joined you - I had an X30 previously and sold it - it was my walkabout camera. I've tried Canon's G16 and Sony's RX100M3 and was thinking about getting a Fuji X-E3 with the new 15-45 powered zoom but hey, it's a £1000 package and I cannot justify that. Then along came another X30 and it was too much to pass by. I just want something, small, light and robust (where the Sony failed) with good IQ and a zoom lens.
Welcome back to the thread. :)

I did look at the G16 a while ago, but the bulk and heaviness put me off.

Welcome back to the thread. :)

Thanks John, they are very underrated cameras imho and often overlooked in favour of the higher MP cams. But realistically, the only benefit of high MP is that you can crop more. I have printed at 22 x16 (180 p,/inch) before now and been astounded by the level of detail.

The G16 is smaller and lighter overall surely?
I have handled one, they are like a little brick. I did not really like the ergonomics of the G16, plus it is only a small sensor. I had a Canon powershot G7 very briefly, did not like it one bit.

Thanks John, they are very underrated cameras imho and often overlooked in favour of the higher MP cams. But realistically, the only benefit of high MP is that you can crop more. I have printed at 22 x16 (180 p,/inch) before now and been astounded by the level of detail.
My Nikon D3300 takes superb images, but I tend to leave it at home. The Fuji X10 on the other hand, is easily slipped into a coat pocket and not noticed. The X10 may not be as good IQ as my much bigger sensor Nikon, but the X10 is great fun to use.

I really don't know what I am going to replace the little fuji with.

My Nikon D3300 takes superb images, but I tend to leave it at home. The Fuji X10 on the other hand, is easily slipped into a coat pocket and not noticed. The X10 may not be as good IQ as my much bigger sensor Nikon, but the X10 is great fun to use.

I really don't know what I am going to replace the little fuji with.

G7X II. I'm just waiting for the price to drop back to what it was last weekend!

G7X II. I'm just waiting for the price to drop back to what it was last weekend!

I am torn between the Canon G7X and the Canon G9X for pocket ability. Just put off by the lack of cotrold dials, such as EX Comp and shutter dial. I was looking at the Lumix LX100, but I think it may produce mushy photos. Just I love the control dials, of the LX100. So a bit stumped for ideas at the mo. :(

I came up the line from X10 ( had 3) X20 then X30. I sold the X30 after a few months because I didn’t use it much, but bought another just for the convenience
I now have a full frame Nikon, that very often sits at home while I take the X30 out.
You can’t beat FF for detail but my X30 ( and iPhone) are used most of the time now.

The sound no longer works on my Fuji X10 :(. It is not in silent mode, and no other silent modes have been activated. I have re set the camera a few times, but it makes no difference. No sound whatsoever, no shutter sound and no sound when playing video. The sound is present, when playing the recorded video, on a pc. The sound has been gone for a while now, but everything else works. I know it is not worth repairing the camera. I will continue to use it, till it gives up totally. Still plenty of fun left in this little camera. :)

This is very bad news for those of us who love our X10s! Do the interwebs not ave any hints of what may be wrong?

This is very bad news for those of us who love our X10s! Do the interwebs not ave any hints of what may be wrong?
I have had a search on the web, and loads this that and the other. Most have been saying circuit board, or audio circuit probably failed. Anyway, not a big thing to me really. Although I do miss watching the video via the camera, as there is no sound. Oh, and I did like the photo memo you could tag to photos.

I think if I got another camera, I would like the photo memo facility. It was handy, as I was able to speak about the photo I had just taken.

Just come back from Currys. Didn't realise how small the GX7 ii was! I found the controls difficult as I have problems with my fingers, so it looks like it's back to the drawing board :(

I found the X30 awkward so should have realised that something smaller wasn't going to work!

Last edited:
Just come back from Currys. Didn't realise how small the GX7 ii was! I found the controls difficult as I have problems with my fingers, so it looks like it's back to the drawing board :(

I found the X30 awkward so should have realised that something smaller wasn't going to work!
Can't think of anything that might fit your hands.
I do love the size and design of my X10, I really do not know what I am going to replace it with.

What I like about the X10.

• Small neat design
  • Face Detection
  • Continuous self timer
  • Dedicated EX comp dial
  • Reasonably bright lens
  • Hotshoe
Possibly a few more things, just cant think at the moment.

Wish it had a bigger sensor.

Currently £539.99 , I don't think I would pay that much for a little compact. I would want more from my money.

I am torn between the Canon G7X and the Canon G9X for pocket ability. Just put off by the lack of cotrold dials, such as EX Comp and shutter dial. I was looking at the Lumix LX100, but I think it may produce mushy photos. Just I love the control dials, of the LX100. So a bit stumped for ideas at the mo. :(

The Panny TZ 100 is Pocketable - in a shirt pocket. That's what swung it for me. Great for holiday snaps when I CBA to lug the X-T/Pro around and the X30 isn't really Pocketable if you're not wearing a jacket.

The Panny TZ 100 is Pocketable - in a shirt pocket. That's what swung it for me. Great for holiday snaps when I CBA to lug the X-T/Pro around and the X30 isn't really Pocketable if you're not wearing a jacket.
I tend to wear a Gillet and Cargo trousers, when I go out trekking with the camera. So the X10 size is about as big as I would want to go, maybe a smidgens larger for the right camera.
Not too sure on Panasonic TBH, although I did like the design of the Lumix LX100, for the control dials lay out. Just I read lots of reports, saying the Panasonic produces mushy images. My own Panasonic cameras produce mushy images, as does a Panasonic camcorder I also have.

Well, I've just picked this up from mpb:-

X30_800px.jpg

The condition was stated as 'Good' which usually means it has been well used and shows marks of use - but as you can see, it is virtually mint and as far as I can tell it has taken only a few hundred images. So, yes, I'm chuffed

Looks like you got a good deal there. I’ve bought a few cameras and lenses from them and they all turn up better than expected, apart from a Nikon lens, described as Mint but came with filthy optic surfaces. Luckily they were undamaged and cleaned up well, but someone there needed a trip to specsavers......

The x30 is a great camera - I’d have kept mine is it was better when iso was 800+. Still a sucker for these Fuji’s though

I now have a full frame Nikon, that very often sits at home while I take the X30 out.
You can’t beat FF for detail but my X30 ( and iPhone) are used most of the time now.

Couldn't agree more with this.

A few from my recent trip to Krakow that I've finally got round to uploading. All taken with my much loved x20.

26991002618_60bba23b1e_c.jpg

39967307015_0ff3a9d802_c.jpg

25989115577_b1ca99c504_c.jpg

40152543944_7f79709cda_c.jpg

The rest of the album can be seen here with a separate album of Auschwitz here , all taken with Fuji x20, if anyone is interested.
26991002618_60bba23b1e_b.jpg

Last edited:
I took my 'new' X30 out with the dog for a walk this morning - no serious photography - just a quick playabout

Village2_800px.jpg

Village_800px.jpg

Dog_800px.jpg

I do like this camera - it's very pocketable and because of that fact, it will be taken out more often. I was expecting 12MP to be a bit limiting but I can see this X30 and my X100F being all I need.

You have a bit more snow than we have here in Suffolk
Dog looks warm....

Lent my X10 to daughter along with spare battery and charger when she and boyfriend went to Prague in February.

Notoriously slow at returning anything she’s borrowed from her parents she’s now lost spare battery and charger.

[emoji45]

Lent my X10 to daughter along with spare battery and charger when she and boyfriend went to Prague in February.

Notoriously slow at returning anything she’s borrowed from her parents she’s now lost spare battery and charger.

[emoji45]

That's a bummer, but at least those are (probably) replaceable. As long as she returns the X10!

[emoji45]

Well, that's her birthday present sorted.

Then ask for the camera back pronto. :)

Thinking about picking up an X20 or X30 (XQ2?). There doesn’t seem much price differential in the used market between the two, is there any benefit at all to the X20 over the X30? Considering the Q as well but f4.9 at the Tele end is putting me off a bit. Tbf I may even opt for an X10 if the price is stupidly cheap.

Decisions huh. I own a plethora of ff Nikon primes, just want a throw in the bag ‘compact’ that can be the family beater cam (it will still be loved).

IMO there's no benefit in the 20 over the 30. The 30 is a far better handling camera. I think that the EVF on the 30 is much better than the hybrid OVF of the 20 and carries much more information in a much easier to read manner.

IMO there's no benefit in the 20 over the 30. The 30 is a far better handling camera. I think that the EVF on the 30 is much better than the hybrid OVF of the 20 and carries much more information in a much easier to read manner.

I agree with 'im - the X30 viewfinder is just superb on this level of camera.

Back