The Photographer's Bag Dealer trying it on?

So:
SHUTTER COUNT :4,758 - Please note this figure is taken by connecting the Canon Camera to a MAC (via its USB port) and using a software program called Camera Shutter Count which accurately calculates this shutter count.
DISCLAIMER - we have no personal connection with this software application and provide this shutter count to help your buying decision - we cannot state with 100% accuracy how correct the shutter count reading is - but have no reason to dispute it, having used it over the last 5 years with no inaccurate results.

It's important to them but they add a disclaimer just to cover them selves :)

So change the wording to taken from Exif data and bobs your uncle

Oh and EOSinfo doesnt work on my windows 10 pc with my 5D mk3,just crashes the program and Canon have been hiding the count in Exif info for a couple of years on all models

http://www.eoscount.com/
Isn't accurate either - It tells me I have taken just under 20K images, I have over 40K images in Lightroom taken with my 5D mk3

It's a minefield...

Last edited:
Do you use Canon? Because what you describe doesn't work like that...

Really??

From the manual.

Continuous numbering, as the name suggests, numbers each new image in sequence from 0001 to 9999.
If you remove one CompactFlash card and replace it with another newly formatted card, the sequence will continue.

And yes, I shoot canon. 2 bodies in fact and both are set this way.

Really??

From the manual.

Continuous numbering, as the name suggests, numbers each new image in sequence from 0001 to 9999.
If you remove one CompactFlash card and replace it with another newly formatted card, the sequence will continue.

And yes, I shoot canon. 2 bodies in fact and both are set this way.

Go and try it. Using a different memory card will advance the img number to whatever the number is on the second card, it can also be manually reset and formatting the memory card will also change the img number.

I tested before posting and if your theory was correct I advanced my shutter count by over 7000 clicks in the 5 seconds it took to swap memory card and click the shutter button once...

ITS A MIRACLE!!!

I just put my original memory card back in and formatted it, and would you believe it! I've got a brand new shutter again!

:p:p:p

Last edited:
Go and try it. Using a different memory card will advance the img number to whatever the number is on the second card, it can also be manually reset and formatting the memory card will also change the img number.

I tested before posting and if your theory was correct I advanced my shutter count by over 7000 clicks in the 5 seconds it took to swap memory card and click the shutter button once...

ITS A MIRACLE!!!

I just put my original memory card back in and formatted it, and would you believe it! I've got a brand new shutter again!

:p:p:p

You're doing it wrong.

You're doing it wrong.

Nope, it's just how Canon is...

Swap the memory card, format your memory card or reset the camera and the img number changes.

It's really that simple, you want to check the shutter count accurately you need to use a program.

Swap the memory card, format your memory card or reset the camera and the img number changes.

It's really that simple, you want to check the shutter count accurately you need to use a program.

I assume you have auto reset enabled. I format my cards after every use and my file numbers don't reset.

I never said it was an acurate method of determining the shutter count. I said if the OP had his camera set the same way I do, there would be no reason for him to assume the shutter count was different to the file number.

Last edited:
No, that's not my serial number I had that logged down in our insurance files, but that looks like my lead because I wrapped it like that.
Guess what my camera's up for sale I know exactly how I tied the power lead to the charger
Interesting you claim that your camera was up for sale,because you could identify it with the lead and yet all you had to do was check it against your serial number.

You were the one who falsely advertised
You do not include your reply to the original message, but judging by the way this reply is written the accusation of false advertising had been mentioned before this.

I looked at their feedback and cannot see one instance where they have given negative feedback, perhaps you can tell us why you suspected they would do so to you?

You have also made a wild speculation about how much they could make in a year based on this shutter count "scam". Surely as E Bay can track messages then all you have to do it report your speculation to E Bay and if they are doing it 4 times a week it would be very clear.

If indeed you did get the shutter count wrong, how much would you consider a fair refund for your mistake?

I do not know the truth of what has gone on here, but it is certainly not as clear cut as you suggested.

I have bought from the photographers bag twice and had no issues with them and the same applies for the majority of people who have posted on the threads.

As for the collection bussiness, perhaps in future you will stick to what you say and refuse to send anything, that way you will never face this again.

By all means, show me where I did. Are you trolling for an argument?

Nope, just leaving you to believe in your own ways.

Next time someone asks for a shutter count I'll tell them ecoleman says to just use the img number from the memory card...

:whistle:

Funny how even Canon think swapping memory card will screw with image numbers..

If the CompactFlash card you insert into the camera already contains image files, the numbering sequence in both continuous and auto reset modes will continue from the highest file number on the card, rather than continuing the camera sequence.
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content...ge_and_archiving/file_numbering_and_naming.do

Last edited:
Interesting you claim that your camera was up for sale,because you could identify it with the lead and yet all you had to do was check it against your serial number.

You do not include your reply to the original message, but judging by the way this reply is written the accusation of false advertising had been mentioned before this.

I looked at their feedback and cannot see one instance where they have given negative feedback, perhaps you can tell us why you suspected they would do so to you?

You have also made a wild speculation about how much they could make in a year based on this shutter count "scam". Surely as E Bay can track messages then all you have to do it report your speculation to E Bay and if they are doing it 4 times a week it would be very clear.

If indeed you did get the shutter count wrong, how much would you consider a fair refund for your mistake?

I do not know the truth of what has gone on here, but it is certainly not as clear cut as you suggested.

I have bought from the photographers bag twice and had no issues with them and the same applies for the majority of people who have posted on the threads.

As for the collection bussiness, perhaps in future you will stick to what you say and refuse to send anything, that way you will never face this again.

Few more unhappy customers here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/anyone-used-the-photographers-bag-on-ebay.552497/

Have you done a search on their previous incarnations, alldigital0869, filterfantastic, harbour48 and several others I suspect were them too such as cash4cameras

Last edited:
yeah back on thread track lads ,this could easily affect anyone of us at some time in the future .so its stupid to fill the thread with in-fighting and bitching ..
if this dealer is in reality ripping us off then it needs to be stopped ,a lot of us are elderly and principled and don't like being ripped and or in this dealers case blackmailed

yeah back on thread track lads ,this could easily affect anyone of us at some time in the future .so its stupid to fill the thread with in-fighting and bitching ..
if this dealer is in reality ripping us off then it needs to be stopped ,a lot of us are elderly and principled and don't like being ripped and or in this dealers case blackmailed

Apart from some speculation, please state how anyone in this thread has been ripped off?

Quick reply.

Had a very quick look at the main photo. Charger in main photo was mine identified by the way I had tied it so assumed selling as a complete package.

Look at the later link to find out it wasn't.

Maybe they swap gear about.

Seeing we're in your world of speculation maybe they kept my camera with 2000 clicks to take the many eBay pictures and sold the old one on at 5000 clicks using my accessories.

They mentioned the false advertising only once, as did I. They did not give me chance to reply the second message came out of the blue.

They have not left me feedback so I'm guessing you won't find it will you and I'm not leaving them any so you won't find that either.

eBay don't give a monkeys they are a top 10000 seller would you chastise one of your top earners.

What's not clear cut, no negitive feedback left so who's in the wrong.

Glad you have bought from them and all was fine, but if you hadn't noticed this thread is about selling to them.

I've noted your advice about further dealings with regards to collection, I've done it before and not everyone is a scam artist.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Apart from some speculation, please state how anyone in this thread has been ripped off?
Even if they haven't been ripped off on this thread, there appears to be plenty evidence of underhand tactics elsewhere, but they do also have a lot of positive feedback.
Sounds as if they don't have much business sense when it comes to customer care, for some of their customers.

Quick reply.

Had a very quick look at the main photo. Charger in main photo was mine identified by the way I had tied it so assumed selling as a complete package.

Look at the later link to find out it wasn't.

Maybe they swap gear about.

Seeing we're in your world of speculation maybe they kept my camera with 2000 clicks to take the many eBay pictures and sold the old one on at 5000 clicks using my accessories.

They mentioned the false advertising only once, as did I. They did not give me chance to reply the second message came out of the blue.

They have not left me feedback so I'm guessing you won't find it will you and I'm not leaving them any so you won't find that either.

eBay don't give a monkeys they are a top 10000 seller would you chastise one of your top earners.

What's not clear cut, no negitive feedback left so who's in the wrong.

Glad you have bought from them and all was fine, but if you hadn't noticed this thread is about selling to them.

I've noted your advice about further dealings with regards to collection, I've done it before and not everyone is a scam artist.

Thanks for your input.

So in short, they bought your camera, tried to get a £25 pound refund as they said the shutter count was double, but nothing came of it!

Even if they haven't been ripped off on this thread, there appears to be plenty evidence of underhand tactics elsewhere, but they do also have a lot of positive feedback.
Sounds as if they don't have much business sense when it comes to customer care, for some of their customers.

Oh, what evidence is that then? I have read loads of accusations and speculation, but not seen any evidence.

Last edited:

Nearly ripped off, but how many others are there who have refunded, they obviously try it on, Nobody can quantify it you have two choices

Deal with them or not it's simple.

Bearair its all speculation to everyone else it happened to me, I know what the shutter count was when the camera left me. I know that's not my camera in the listing.

Oh, what evidence is that then? I have heard loads of accusations and speculation, but not seen any evidence.
No smoke without fire?
Too many unrelated examples on the Internet for it to be a coincidence.
Look for yourself and you will find it.

So in short, they bought your camera, tried to get a £25 pound refund as they said the shutter count was double, but nothing came of it!

No nothing happened, they tried it on.

That's the whole point of the thread to warn people about how they may operate sometimes.

I called there bluff and told them to return it, but they had sold it mid message, all silent on the Weston front.

If they've tried it on with me how many others thing is we don't know, it's just another example of there dodgy dealings.

Bearair let me ask you a question.

Would you let a shutter count issue rest would you not feel p***ed off if somone sent you a camera with double the shutter count, would you return it would you, or send a message and leave it at that.

They are fishing for a quick buck.

By the way what would you pay for 2500 clicks.

Right please keep up at the back.

Bearair, please read threads from start to finish before you comment in future your making yourself sound like a troll.

Last edited:
Nearly ripped off, but how many others are there who have refunded, they obviously try it on, Nobody can quantify it you have two choices

Deal with them or not it's simple.

Bearair its all speculation to everyone else it happened to me, I know what the shutter count was when the camera left me. I know that's not my camera in the listing.
So they haven't sold your camera then?
I thought you were unable to confirm the exact shutter count as you were using exif data?

Last edited:
Oh, what evidence is that then? I have heard loads of accusations and speculation, but not seen any evidence.

It doesn't really matter though. Not to me anyway.

I've seen enough to choose to deal with others.

I don't need hard proof. I just decide I'm not comfortable.

There are plenty of people to deal with who don't have these issues around them.

And I don't have to justify my thinking beyond that.

If you have evidence that they are above board and none of these complaints, in this thread or elsewhere, are justified, I'm happy to listen.

No smoke without fire?
Too many unrelated examples on the Internet for it to be a coincidence.
Look for yourself and you will find it.

I have looked I see lots of speculation, lots of anecdotal evidence and that is it. This is someones business and presumably livelihood, I am all for rip off merchants being exposed but I cannot abide witch hunts where everyone jumps on the bandwagon without any real evidence.

It doesn't really matter though. Not to me anyway.

I've seen enough to choose to deal with others.

I don't need hard proof. I just decide I'm not comfortable.

There are plenty of people to deal with who don't have these issues around them.

And I don't have to justify my thinking beyond that.

If you have evidence that they are above board and none of these complaints, in this thread or elsewhere, are justified, I'm happy to listen.

Which is your choice, but I still try to stick to innocent until proven guilty.

I have looked I see lots of speculation, lots of anecdotal evidence and that is it. This is someones business and presumably livelihood, I am all for rip off merchants being exposed but I cannot abide witch hunts where everyone jumps on the bandwagon without any real evidence.
What do you consider real evidence?
Other customers experience would be enough for me.
At the end of the day it's not a CPS case so that's all you're likely to see.

So they haven't sold your camera then?
I thought you were unable to confirm the exact shutter count as you were using exif data?

TBH I don't know what they have done with it, not the one in the picture though.

But then again they paid so I guess they can do what they want.

Well I've laid out how they delt with me so call it feedback to the forum.

I feel bearair is trolling so I am going to leave this thread I will not be drawn in by his comments.

Not on my 5d mk3. Doesn't matter what card I put in, the numbers count incrementally using 4 digits.

Edit just tried it, definitely continues the numbers.

Last edited:
Well I've laid out how they delt with me so call it feedback to the forum.

I feel bearair is trolling so I am going to leave this thread I will not be drawn in by his comments.

Well you are welcome to report me if you think I am trolling, as you were able to report the buyer to ebay. Of course you will need evidence not just speculation. Meanwhile you are also welcome to check out the articles I bought off them and the feedback I left. I am 2009bearair on ebay. Sorry if I asked a couple of questions you did not like, but it intrigued me how your story changed as the thread progressed.

Maybe you could contact them with your serial number as it occurs to me that maybe with two cannons they got one confused with the other and owe you an apology. People do make genuine mistakes.

What do you consider real evidence?
Other customers experience would be enough for me.
At the end of the day it's not a CPS case so that's all you're likely to see.

Well the first bit of evidence would be negative feedback on people they have bought off of? I mean if they are using the threat of negative feedback wouldn't you expect to see at least one bit?
As I said if the OPs speculation of 4 x £15 a week wouldn't a note to E-Bay sort that out since they can read messages?

With my Canon bodies (350, 40, 7 & now 5) I have always formated the card in PC before returning to the camera......this is to maintain sequential numbering.

Yes, Canon is idiosyncratic in taking the last number from a card as its starting point if the card is not formated as I describe but we have what we have.

In regard to the OP's disagreement with the buying company, without proof(?) from them that they indeed used something like EOSinfo the could easily have used a CF card to check it out that had a higher number on it to "declare" the count!

So a lesson for us all to use a proper counting programme with screen grab to prove it beyond doubt when offering kit for sale.

Well the first bit of evidence would be negative feedback on people they have bought off of? I mean if they are using the threat of negative feedback wouldn't you expect to see at least one bit?
As I said if the OPs speculation of 4 x £15 a week wouldn't a note to E-Bay sort that out since they can read messages?
One of the things I read was on how they manipulate negative feedback, and the op's example was far fetched.

Last edited:
One of the things I read was on how they manipulate negative feedback, and the op's example was far fetched.

Really I thought you read how they are alleged to manipulate feedback.

Really I thought you read how they are alleged to manipulate feedback.

What makes you want to defend this company so vehmently?

Evidence of wrong doing may only be anecdotal, but its on various platforms over several years from different people.

Do you think they all just have it in for this company or companies? Probably not would be most rational thinking peoples logical conclusion.

Vote with your feet or in this case ones Paypal account depending on how you view the evidence.

I also no longer wish to discuss this with you

Last edited:
A request for £25 to make up for the difference in shutter count on what is still a low count seems entirely reasonable to me. Everything else is just unsubstantiated. And in fact, from reading this whole thread and what was presented, even the shutter count story is weird as neither party has been forthcoming with some actual evidence of the shutter count.

But I see no deliberate foul play here at all. Just some over reactions, and yes if I was the buyer I would also suggest the OP put up a false ad if my shutter count count was double. I would have also adjusted my offer price. However I would also have provided evidence of how I extracted that shutter count. Maybe they did provide that, maybe they didn't, we only hear what one party presents to us.

Oh, what evidence is that then? I have read loads of accusations and speculation, but not seen any evidence.
This isn't a court of law it's a forum, evidence isn't required. Even a brief search of the net will show others having problems with this company. Thats good enough for me not to buy from them. If you want to good luck.

This isn't a court of law it's a forum, evidence isn't required. Even a brief search of the net will show others having problems with this company. Thats good enough for me not to buy from them. If you want to good luck.

I think you have summed it up brilliantly, evidence isn't required!

Back