The Photographer's Bag Dealer trying it on?

Thanks for the replys.

I deleted the programmes off the laptop so have no way of proving the shutter count DOH, it was the last of my DLSR photography gear I'm going compact LOL , the life expectancy of the 700d is 100,000 clicks, they got all my equipment for a very good price.

Exif on a Canon is just the image number not shutter count (it changes with memory card, can be reset or even auto reset if you change cards). You can only read the shutter count with programs like EOSinfo.

You can always upload your latest jpg to 'camerashuttercount.com' which should be able to extract it from the exif.

No, you can't, it will only show the image number, not shutter count.

Hi I would, but the last images are on the full size SD card which went with the camera and I deleted them 2 weeks ago when the camera was very first listed

It wouldn't matter, shutter count and image number on a Canon are different things.

Fortunately if they've now sold it they can't go after you for not as described anymore.

^^^ with them being "in the game" they probably know this^^^^^.

Morale of this story..................Always use EOSinfo.

They are an eBay store called.

The photographers bag

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Photographers-Bag/_i.html

I had my gear down for collection only they pestered me to send it to them.

I have over 600 pos feedback on eBay because I list things as honestly as I can so never had a problem like this, but this was a manufactured false problem invented by an unscrupulous person with no other purpose than exstorting money.

If i wanted to purchase off you with 600 positive and 1 negative i would ignore it and purchase from you.

I still can't get my head round a £25 service ,ask them to explain what that actually entails ,I.e you send your camera to a canon service centre normally the bill will come in circa £100+ ,so just totally ignore the t***s .i will certainly make sure I never buy off them after reading all this .and I feel sure that in this case naming and shaming is worth far more than what they tried it on with you for .

Based on that thread I'd change the title of this thread so it comes up quicker in google searches. Seems it's a regular practice from them

Agreed, the title should include "The Photographers Bag", the more evidence in google the more the story will spread and their crap practices seen by more people (and can be used as evidence with eBay when they try and extort other sellers).

I'd be incline to tell them to stick it up their arse ... if you've been paid then the transactions over the hell with their refund , and a premptive complaint to ebay should stop any attempt on their part to get the recharge

Used eBay 14 years we all try when selling do the right thing like you at the moment 100% feedback in this instance I would not refund £25 even if you do who says they won't leave negative.

If they leave negative buy cheapest thing you can and leave negative for them just make sure it's less than £25

Good luck, and sorry your selling your gear

Based on that thread I'd change the title of this thread so it comes up quicker in google searches. Seems it's a regular practice from them

If i wanted to purchase off you with 600 positive and 1 negative i would ignore it and purchase from you.

Will do.

I still can't get my head round a £25 service ,ask them to explain what that actually entails ,I.e you send your camera to a canon service centre normally the bill will come in circa £100+ ,so just totally ignore the t***s .i will certainly make sure I never buy off them after reading all this .and I feel sure that in this case naming and shaming is worth far more than what they tried it on with you for .

They've gone silent they are not replying to my messages.

Agreed, the title should include "The Photographers Bag", the more evidence in google the more the story will spread and their crap practices seen by more people (and can be used as evidence with eBay when they try and extort other sellers).

Will do.

Used eBay 14 years we all try when selling do the right thing like you at the moment 100% feedback in this instance I would not refund £25 even if you do who says they won't leave negative.

If they leave negative buy cheapest thing you can and leave negative for them just make sure it's less than £25

Good luck, and sorry your selling your gear

I'm using my Sony now a wee bit lighter, and dare I say ........................ runs away....................a Drone.

Canon at Elstree charge £ 60 + VAT per hour for repairs not covered under fixed price servicing, so a £ 25 service doesn't get you much more than an exterior wipe and clean - certainly doesn't cover a while you wait sensor clean. As others have said, just a way of extorting a bit of extra cash from people. Glad its sorted for you - just standing up to them seems to have done the trick - I bet most just pay up.

Here's the message

New message from: tpbonline (25,773)
Hi Mark.

How about £25 part refund and I will have the camera serviced and this sorts any issue - a fair outcome? Thank You

Sorts out issues of a shutter count ?????

then they got a bit shirty, all I did was read the EXIF data Total Number of Shutter Releases for Camera.

New message from: tpbonline (25,775)

Hi, I bid based on your advert. You were the one who falsely advertised

This was clearly inaccurate. With all due respect, I paid promptly based on your advert, I did not expect a camera to arrive in with double the shutter count. I can have the camera checked over, it will cost £25 and this will reassure me all is correct. I offered £25 as a fair, easy solution to rectify your error.

Very happy to return all and you can then honestly relist / readvertised / refund me in full.

Please advise.

Thank You

My last message to them.

New message to: tpbonline
Dear whoever,

Putting aside the defamatory comments for now, please feel free to return the items making sure they are packaged exactly as I sent them. Once the items have been received I will check the condition of them to make sure they are in the mint condition I sent them. If I am satisfied that no damage has been caused I will refund you. You must advise me of when the parcel is going to be delivered. Remember, this was collection only and I am not responsible for the cost of the return postage - that will be down to you. Consider it a favour from me that I was prepared to send it by courier. I am wasting no more time on this matter apart from to say you show jolly bad form for the sake of £25. I would be grateful if any further correspondence is kept to a professional level and to the point rather than accusations about my honesty, false advertising and integrity.

Last edited:
I know they've tried this on with others, but I'd be annoyed if I bought a camera and the shutter count was double what the listing said.

I know they've tried this on with others, but I'd be annoyed if I bought a camera and the shutter count was double what the listing said.
I'd generally be annoyed if the shutter count was double but not when that made it only 5000 on a camera that's good for 150,000.

And there's no way it was a genuine complaint, the buyer has form and the £25 was a joke. A genuine complaint would have been into 3 figures.

Apologies for your mistake (if there was one) and ask them to return items. I would rather lose £50 than give a thief £25.

I'd generally be annoyed if the shutter count was double but not when that made it only 5000 on a camera that's good for 150,000.

And there's no way it was a genuine complaint, the buyer has form and the £25 was a joke. A genuine complaint would have been into 3 figures.
That's not the point though, is it?
The way I read the correspondence is that they were looking for a refund of £25 due to the shutter count (allegedly) being double. the fact that they then said they'd have the camera serviced would be up to them. they didn't say it was £25 for a service.
If you'd bought a camera advertised as 2500 clicks and it turned out to be double, you'd be happy to let it go?
I wouldn't.

Last edited:
hopefully there reading this and starting to realise that a lot of potential sellers and buyers are reading this blackmail attempt by them ,might even be worth sending them a link to the thread/s . i have often looked at there stuff and was impressed by there advertising but i'll be stuffed if i will buy from them now .

i also have it in the back of my head that the owners are actually from hong-kong or macau not that it makes a difference ,but it could be how they do business out there .

watchdog rogues gallery would love this one .

That's not the point though, is it?
The way I read the correspondence is that they were looking for a refund of £25 due to the shutter count (allegedly) being double. the fact that they then said they'd have the camera serviced would be up to them. they didn't say it was £25 for a service.
If you'd bought a camera advertised as 2500 clicks and it turned out to be double, you'd be happy to let it go?
I wouldn't.
We have no proof that the shutter count was misreported, they have offered no evidence just a demand for money, and the language they used could be forgiven from a private sale, but it's diabolical from a 'business'.

And they definitely said they could have the camera 'checked over for £25' not that they wanted a partial refund and would put it towards a service.

There's no reason why the file naming couldn't show the shutter count. My camera is set to increment the file number for each shot, regardless of memory card, date or anything else.

If the OPs file naming was set the same way there would no reason to believe the shutter count wouldn't match the number in the file name.

As stated by Phil, the dealer has never offered any evidence of the actual shutter count.

Sounds like a very tinpot business, know it all adds up, but lots of grief and bad press just to ponce 25 quid.

Seems like they have traded under multiple names over the years, know I won't be buying anything from the snappers sac.

Last edited:
Hi Mark.

How about £25 part refund and I will have the camera serviced and this sorts any issue - a fair outcome? Thank You

And they definitely said they could have the camera 'checked over for £25' not that they wanted a partial refund and would put it towards a service.

Sounds like they were asking for a partial refund to me....:)

Doesn't sound like a demand for money either.

I'm not sticking up for them, as I know they've got "form" and I realise we don't know for definite if the shutter count advertised was wrong.

I'm not sticking up for them, as I know they've got "form" and I realise we don't know for definite if the shutter count advertised was wrong.
We read different bits...

... I can have the camera checked over, it will cost £25 and this will reassure me all is correct.

We have no proof that the shutter count was misreported, they have offered no evidence just a demand for money, and the language they used could be forgiven from a private sale, but it's diabolical from a 'business'.

ah, but would you throw a double thrombie after buying a 5000 click camera advertised as a 2500 click camera ??

I'm kinda wondering what's gone wrong in my life that I can't muster up enough care to ruffle my quiff

You reckon, might as well have said "bung us a pony or you get s***ty feedback"

You reckon, might as well have said "bung us a pony or you get s***ty feedback"

If only they had! That's called feedback extortion and is against eBay T&Cs.

ah, but would you throw a double thrombie after buying a 5000 click camera advertised as a 2500 click camera ??

I'm kinda wondering what's gone wrong in my life that I can't muster up enough care to ruffle my quiff
Not sure why you quoted me?

My/there camera they wanted checking over sold in two days, so as they where asking for a refund to check it, the very same camera was proberbly being packed and posted off.

I offered for them to return it but by then they no longer owned it.

There very careful as that is an eBay violation, they skirt round the edge but I know what they are after

How much gear do they buy and how many times have they pulled a stunt like this, let's say 4 per week average refund £15. £60 notes per week x that by 27,000 the amount of buying feedback 15 x 27000 = £405,000 pounds, not a bad little earner.

Last edited:
I'm so glad I've just seen this thread, I was just about to buy a Canon 1000D from them, I'll look elsewhere!

To be fair, this about them buying gear, I can not comment on there selling practices it could be very good for all I know.

To be fair, this about them buying gear, I can not comment on there selling practices it could be very good for all I know.
Well it does seem that it's in one door and straight out the other to me ... see my link way back about allegedly immediately selling on goods that had been rejected as faulty by one buyer.

If they're not to be trusted as buyers, they're not to be trusted as sellers in my opinion.

But imagine how annoyed you be if they tried to make out you lied tried to get extra money out of you and then sold the camera in question during messages saying they will return it, All of it adding up to a big fat profit + 25 of your hard earned because they know eBay always sides with the buyer.

Last edited:
There's no reason why the file naming couldn't show the shutter count. My camera is set to increment the file number for each shot, regardless of memory card, date or anything else.

If the OPs file naming was set the same way there would no reason to believe the shutter count wouldn't match the number in the file name.

Do you use Canon? Because what you describe doesn't work like that...

But imagine how annoyed you be if they tried to make out you lied tried to get extra money out of you and then sold the camera in question during messages saying they will return it, All of it adding up to a big fat profit + 25 of your hard earned because they know eBay always sides with the buyer.
The problem though is that you can't prove what the real shutter count was, so can't prove for definite that they were lying.

Last edited:
Back