The Photography Show 2020

Yes i know. But anyways I'm not panicking but I'm neither brushing aside this virus
No one here is brushing it aside but neither are we trying to create panic by posting on numerous threads saying people better wear FPP3 dust masks if they go to such events or pointing out other (non similar) events have been cancelled. The photography show have already said they are continuously reviewing the situation.

No one here is brushing it aside but neither are we trying to create panic by posting on numerous threads saying people better wear FPP3 dust masks if they go to such events or pointing out other (non similar) events have been cancelled. The photography show have already said they are continuously reviewing the situation.
Well I was actually joking about wearing fpp3 dust masks but seems like some took it badly and started to brush aside the whole virus thing. Which I then gave examples on why you shouldn't and how various events have been canceled because of it.

Sounds like people here are naive and don't care about it and as I said, I'm neither panicking or brushing this aside. I'm firmly in the middle of this all

Well I was actually joking about wearing fpp3 dust masks but seems like some took it badly and started to brush aside the whole virus thing. Which I then gave examples on why you shouldn't and how various events have been canceled because of it.

Sounds like people here are naive and don't care about it and as I said, I'm neither panicking or brushing this aside. I'm firmly in the middle of this all
Personnally I feel it’s far too serious to joke about. WHO’s advice on face masks is below:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dis...9/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

If the risk does change and it becomes too high then the Photography Show organisers should cancel the show. At the moment far more people meet up at sporting events across the country every week and none of those have to cancelled as at present the risk in the UK is low. It needs a measured response to the risks at that point in time but neither underestimate it. At present there is probably a higher risk travelling to Birmingham, especially if you go by car.

not going anyway ,comicon which in the past has made the show a double whammy is the following weekend .. bad forward planning ,they missed it last year to and I found it very bland without it

My position is neither on one side or the other but how on earth can a photography show be compared to a sporting event?

Yea you can in those places
Ok, so the shows are somewhat similar.
However there is still a greater risk at a photographic show than at a mobile or sporting event, simply because you are handling objects near your face.

Last edited:
They seem to be quite slow in confirming the exhibitor speaker lineups this year. Normally by now I have a much larger list of talks I want to try and squeeze in.

My position is neither on one side or the other but how on earth can a photography show be compared to a sporting event?
Your right that handling equipment may increase risks a little more but I would say it’s the large gathering of people that’s the biggest concern regarding spreading the virus.

Sporting events will be cancelled in areas hit by the virus due to risk of spreading the virus. China GP already cancelled and 5 Italian series A games are to be played behind closed doors last night. Even the 6 nations could be affected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/51631954

They seem to be quite slow in confirming the exhibitor speaker lineups this year. Normally by now I have a much larger list of talks I want to try and squeeze in.
I’ve noticed that too. Canon have released names of people doing talks but no schedule. Nikon seem to have released it around 20th Feb last year.

I'm going, yes a very flitting hrm over the virus but there again, if there was a major risk the show would be cancelled, Not sure that a sporting event could be said to be of lower risk, as at any supporting event people are in close vicinity, and always plenty of surfaces that could be touched by anyone.

There is only 2 ways any virus can be transmitted, Airborne or Cross Contamination (touch), with Airborne being the more difficult on to bring under control.

In the case of this virus, the wearing of the face mask, isn't to stop you breathing in an Airborne virus, but provides physical barrier, it stops you from touching your mouth with your hands, so helps with cross contamination spreed! If the virus was airborne then you would need one hell of a fine filter to catch is in a face mask.

If you're worried about cross contamination, two ways of preventing it, firstly using hand sanitiser, alcohol based, and if you're going to be picking up something like a camera to hold near the face, wipe is over with a cleansing wipe (Alcohol based)

As to countries that have been hit hard by the virus, a couple of thoughts...

Look at the varying countries, Non have a 'Free at Point' national health service like the UK, Makes a difference, as some suffers may not be able to afford to seek medical help when they become ill, a lot of these countries also have a very high population of improvised citizens who are going to be more susceptible to illness and often lack some basic hygiene elements, such a sanitation, and resources such as quality cleaning products to tackle contamination of surfaces etc.

Thankfully we've been given an heads up on the virus, most individual's do have access to cleaning products to enable them to reduce risk, and access to medical advise/attention without having to worry how they are going to pay the bill! Makes a lot of difference

The rugby game in Ireland is about to get axed. The proverbial cat has escaped from Italy all over Europe so the threat level is completely different than it was just a week ago. At some point it just won't matter any more at all, I wonder how quickly we pass that threshold.

The rugby game in Ireland is about to get axed. The proverbial cat has escaped from Italy all over Europe so the threat level is completely different than it was just a week ago. At some point it just won't matter any more at all, I wonder how quickly we pass that threshold.

Why are you so concerned about something you have absolutely no control over?
You might get it, if you do its just one of those things, same as the flu

not going anyway ,comicon which in the past has made the show a double whammy is the following weekend .. bad forward planning ,they missed it last year to and I found it very bland without it

For me it’s the fact the craft show has moved, normally its take wife and mother in law, leave them at the craft show and wonder round to photography show.

Why are you so concerned about something you have absolutely no control over?
You might get it, if you do its just one of those things, same as the flu
I don't think its 'one of those things', its the mentality of people these days that don't give a toss about anything or anybody else.
If they have the flu, they think its perfectly reasonable to share it.

If you're worried about cross contamination, two ways of preventing it, firstly using hand sanitiser, alcohol based, and if you're going to be picking up something like a camera to hold near the face, wipe is over with a cleansing wipe (Alcohol based)
Have you seen the surface of a camera :thinking:

I don't think its 'one of those things', its the mentality of people these days that don't give a toss about anything or anybody else.
If they have the flu, they think its perfectly reasonable to share it.

If you have Influenza you don't go sharing it, in fact you do absolutely nothing apart from stay in bed exhausted
It's not just a bad cold, I have only ever had it twice in just over sixty years and doubt many people get it regularly.
Certainly don't go to work or down the pub, have you ever actually had flu?

If you have Influenza you don't go sharing it, in fact you do absolutely nothing apart from stay in bed exhausted
It's not just a bad cold, I have only ever had it twice in just over sixty years and doubt many people get it regularly.
Certainly don't go to work or down the pub, have you ever actually had flu?

it's been a long while, and while you feel like a trainwreck, on a day 1 or 2 you are just likely still out and about spreading it with mild cough before the full effects really kick in.

Flu is just flu, but this for some will evidently end much worse. You could say at least it is not cancer so you don't suffer so badly for so long but let's face it we'd rather avoid both.

Seeing as though this has turned into the Coronavirus thread, I have some packages being delivered from Amazon and upon checking the tracking information they are coming from Italy, so the question is, should I even be touching these?

Flu is just flu, but this for some will evidently end much worse. You could say at least it is not cancer so you don't suffer so badly for so long but let's face it we'd rather avoid both.

The reason why I ask my above question is, I already have Stage 3C Cancer and if I contract Coronavirus as well that will probably finish me off :exit:

Is there a Doctor in the house :LOL:

Last edited:
Seeing as though this has turned into the Coronavirus thread, I have some packages being delivered from Amazon and upon checking the tracking information they are coming from Italy, so the question is, should I even be touching these?

The reason why I ask my above question is, I already have Stage 3C Cancer and if I contract Coronavirus as well that will probably finish me off :exit:

Is there a Doctor in the house :LOL:
I would open wearing gloves if possible .dispose of wrapping immediately if your that worried . I had already made my mind up not to go to show anyway to much walking for my dodgy heart .. healthy people dont seem to grasp how worrying it really is if your in the at risk group health/age etc

Most viruses can only "survive" for a few hours to a few days outside of a host before breaking down. AFAIK the jury is still out on covid19 but the risk of contracting it from packing must be pretty small.

I would open wearing gloves if possible .dispose of wrapping immediately if your that worried . I had already made my mind up not to go to show anyway to much walking for my dodgy heart .. healthy people dont seem to grasp how worrying it really is if your in the at risk group health/age etc
Sounds like good advice, Jeff...I'll definitely do the gloves thing (y)

Most viruses can only "survive" for a few hours to a few days outside of a host before breaking down. AFAIK the jury is still out on covid19 but the risk of contracting it from packing must be pretty small.

Thanks Chris...that makes sense re the survival time of the virus.

Also, love your Avatar :cool:

I think they had an admin issue as I already have my pass as per every year but they emailed me to "activate my badge" which just started the whole registration process from scratch as if I had never done it. Weird

K&F concept emailed me today to say they won't be there due to this issue and they'll have their local distributor represent them. As far as I know Laowa still plan to be there. Haven't really noticed any other changes but I haven't been looking out for it either.

Rumour has it this has been cancelled entirely now, anyone know for sure?

How do these rumours happen? Just today I was told about a distributor that would be attending, I hope somebody tells them the rumour.

In fairness I wouldn't be surprised if it gets cancelled.
Rumour has it this has been cancelled entirely now, anyone know for sure?

How do these rumours happen? Just today I was told about a distributor that would be attending, I hope somebody tells them the rumour.

In fairness I wouldn't be surprised if it gets cancelled.

They are contacting exhibitors as we speak. The situation is fast moving so no surprise that it was still all go earlier today.

Last edited:
Damn! I literally just bought my tickets today too!

Wonder if their insurance covers this. .

I know nothing of the financials, but wouldn't be surprised if this could bankrupt the show. Doubt if the NEC will give a refund

I'd try get a refund pronto if I'd paid for a ticket.

Wonder if their insurance covers this. .

I know nothing of the financials, but wouldn't be surprised if this could bankrupt the show. Doubt if the NEC will give a refund

I'd try get a refund pronto if I'd paid for a ticket.

Photography Show is run by Future Publishing (although presumably under a separate company) and by rescheduling rather than cancelling they've probably managed to reduce the impact a little bit.

The upside is the Saturday speaker lineup was looking weak compared to Sun-Tue. Maybe I'll get luckier with the rescheduled line-up...

I’ve just seen the email too. It’s a shame it’s cancelled. The thing about cancelling is that it doesn’t just have an effect on the show/nec but the loss of revenue through money spent in the other businesses such as hotels, restaurants and even food places in the NEC will mean there will likely be people losing jobs because this won’t be only the show at the NEC cancelled. That kind of makes the £35 I’ve lost on a premier inn room pale into insignificance.

Back