THE PP GAME!

Ok my PP skills are so inferior to what you guys can do, but do you mind if I follow along for a while?

I'm sure they're fine and can't be any worse than mine:LOL:

There's some really talented and competent people on both threads but I am not one of them. However, I enjoy taking part and it's definitely helped me get slightly better.

I tend to decide what effect or technique I want to practice and then find out how to do it although it will often start as one thing and then lack of skill means it becomes something else:LOL:

More than welcome to hang around and even better if you dive in(y)

Dr_O said:
I tend to decide what effect or technique I want to practice and then find out how to do it although it will often start as one thing and then lack of skill means it becomes something else:LOL:
:LOL: I spend a lot of time on Google/ YouTube learning how to do things! I need to learn how to add a border I think, they look great.

My first question here though is what's the difference between this and the 'how would you edit this' thread?

My first question here though is what's the difference between this and the 'how would you edit this' thread?

Take a look at the edits and work it out yourself ;)

...My first question here though is what's the difference between this and the 'how would you edit this' thread?

It would be rare to find any flying badgers here:LOL:

We had a recent discussion about both here and we all agreed the two separate threads should continue.

Ok my PP skills are so inferior to what you guys can do, but do you mind if I follow along for a while?

Feel free, or join in, the winner may not be the most technically clever, I choose the one I like best regardless of whats done to it.

Your only allowed to edit the existing image, crop it, tweek it, colour etc all fine, but no adding things like sharks or dragons etc.

heres a go
Untitled-1jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv.jpg

rectangular tool for bottom of pic, adjust brightness,
add frame,
new layer, fill new layer
flatten

Your only allowed to edit the existing image, crop it, tweek it, colour etc all fine, but no adding things like sharks or dragons etc.
So I'll keep all my dragons and out of here;)

Ok, I'll follow along and maybe attempt a few edits if time allows. But my photo 52 (and everyone else's) kids and work burgles a lot of my photography time!

Next question! How do you save from PS the steps/ history you've made for everyone to see?

Yes but put them here where we also welcome you:)

I'm assuming it's the snip tool in windows 7 that shows the workflow but it's far too advanced for me. I'll stick to typing:LOL:

Ok, I'll follow along and maybe attempt a few edits if time allows. But my photo 52 (and everyone else's) kids and work burgles a lot of my photography time!

Next question! How do you save from PS the steps/ history you've made for everyone to see?

You could show the history palette or most people just show the layers and a brief list of what they did.

Wow, thanks Wayne (y) enjoyed editing that one, was stumped for a while on what to do :thinking:

Ok all, get your editing skills stuck into this one. Taken last night in London

bermondsey by surfinscottie, on Flickr

Well here's my go. I'm not proficient at PP - which is why I'm watching this thread. I tend to adjust until it "looks" right. The main adjustment was the Topaz Filters Adjust action set on "Spicify" and then desaturation.

I edited this in PS, and then some minor tweaks in LR3.

was sorting some images for my website the other day and used picasa to sort the folders etc... never noticed before, but picasa links through to picnik - which is an online photo editing site. It's shutting down in April, so they are making their premium software available free of charge. Some nice pre-sets in there for you guys who are just learning (including me).

anyway, this was done with a few clicks in picnik!

scottie by leftcurl, on Flickr

tunnel2.jpg

Opened in camera raw
changed to smart object
duplicate 3 times
open layer group
change to overlay
open group again
change to vivid light
add curves
change to negative
blur
surface blur
finish...

6816056759_bc15fdfa4d_b.jpg

Processed in LR3
Changed contrast
Boosted saturation.
Sharpened
Added vignette and border.

Couldn't download the RAW (couldn't see the link) so had to work on the jpg...

anyhow here's mine:

6816056759_bc15fdfa4d_b_copy.jpg

I started by cloning some bits and bobs out, then burned some parts to the back of the tunnel and to the right...I then desaturated, upped the contrast and the details were brought out using topaz detail.

Congrats Scottie, will have a bash at the new one tomorrow.

Here we go with my edit.

6818522451_dae8fafe39_b.jpg

Crop
Hdr layer
Black and white ajustment layer
Hue/saturation ajustment layer for the warm tone
levels ajustment layer.

6818522431_82f1b67011.jpg

I'll prob get banned for this, but here goes
scottietunnel4copy.jpg

thepp1.jpg

Duplicate layer
Adjust RGB towards Yellow
Apply Old Photo filter
Adjust Levels
Adjust opacity 52% between colour and old photolayer
Apply Text
STAMP CTRL_SHFT_ALT_E
Duplicate
Invert Image and then Levels adjust (for Negative)
Download 35mm Border and fit
Layer negative on top, Drop Shadow, Liquify layer.

Andy- no mythical elements there, it's fine(y)

First HDR experiment for me although seems a few others have done the same:

Edit13 by Dr_Ozone, on Flickr

Originally I duplicated the background then did an adjustment layer with curves with 1 background lightened, one darkened and the original- merging these down did he haw so my advice is this is how not to do it:LOL:

Take 2- used the burn tool on the midtones over entire pic saved as PSD then undid effect and then used dodge tool over highlights saved as PSD then undid effect and then again with dodge tool over shadows then undid effect and saved original as PSD.
Next went to file>automate> merge to HDR pro and combined images- played about with the tones for final HDR image.
Then sharpened a touch with smart sharpen.

Looked at adding lens flare and colouring lights a different colour but neither proved satisfactory so just went with images as it was.

Will judge tonight about 8pm if thats ok with everyone. So if you haven't entered, please do so (y)

Some great edits in already so going to be a tough one to call :thinking:

Tough one to call this, so i broke it down to the final 3 and let the kids decide ......

The winner is COMMJO :1st: .... Think this would have been my winner too. Well done mate, over to you :clap:

Well here's my go. I'm not proficient at PP - which is why I'm watching this thread. I tend to adjust until it "looks" right. The main adjustment was the Topaz Filters Adjust action set on "Spicify" and then desaturation.

I edited this in PS, and then some minor tweaks in LR3.

Tough one to call this, so i broke it down to the final 3 and let the kids decide ......

The winner is COMMJO :1st: .... Think this would have been my winner too. Well done mate, over to you :clap:

Wow - what a surprise. Thanks - the kids chose well :)

I'll get a photo up later tonight - thinking caps on.

Well chuffed!!!

nice one Commjo :clap:

Well here is one from a few years ago - I was so disappointed with the photos from this trip that I ended up spending a fortune on various bodies, and lenses. Perhaps with some decent PP skills, I could have kept what I had :)

Here is the straight jpeg

and the raw can be downloaded from here

The image comes complete with a dirty sensor spot :)

Is 8pm Tuesday OK for the deadline?

Back