THE PP GAME!

Just had a thought so back on the case later :D

Opened as RAW in PE10 and quickly opened as Jpeg :LOL:

Copied lighthouse and repositioned it as I just couldn't find any other way of dealing with ruddy awful handrails :LOL:

Cropped to a shape I liked bearing in mind the new position of the lighthouse
Fiddled with shadows and highlights
Fiddled with saturation with individual colours
Selectively saturated the obvious primary colours
Selectively sharpened
Orange filter on sky
Vignette as I felt it suited the final image
So there you are :D

TPlighthouseentry.jpg

Hey gang, well done Marsha:clap:

Cool new pic- will aim to have a shot tomorrow. Been a bit burned out recently so sorry to miss out on John's pic as looked a good one to play with.

Nice edit John- like the tint in the sky(y)

Played straight for basic colour correction and detail.

- S&H, 30%, 150px radius (S only)
- Dupe layer, surface blur R channel 3px threshold, 15 amount
- Go to LAB, don't flatten
- Change layer Blend If, "This Layer" 0,120/124, b channel
- Switch to RGB, flatten. Dupe layer.
- On top layer, apply image, R channel from Background, Overlay, 60%.
- Top layer Blend If, This Layer, Grey, 90/106,255 to exclude darkening effect of overlay. Flatten.

We should now have more open shadows, with a more interesting sky but without amping the R channel noise too heavily.

- Dupe layer, Luminosity blend, adjust for contrast in R, G and B curves focussing on water detail
- Slight blue/green cast in sky, removed via LAB curve
- Push colours separation with straight line A&B curves (LAB)
- Flatten, RGB mode. Dupe layer, set luminosity blend mode, Blend If This Layer 0,100/120
- USM, 15%, 90px radius for "Local contrast" in shadows only

~ 5 minutes.

IMG_8412.jpg

Seems to be a large and worrying disparity between my monitors native colour display and Photoshop's sRGB after calibration, so goodness knows how this image is gonna look to everyone else!

Denyerec said:
Played straight for basic colour correction and detail.

- S&H, 30%, 150px radius (S only)
- Dupe layer, surface blur R channel 3px threshold, 15 amount
- Go to LAB, don't flatten
- Change layer Blend If, "This Layer" 0,120/124, b channel
- Switch to RGB, flatten. Dupe layer.
- On top layer, apply image, R channel from Background, Overlay, 60%.
- Top layer Blend If, This Layer, Grey, 90/106,255 to exclude darkening effect of overlay. Flatten.

We should now have more open shadows, with a more interesting sky but without amping the R channel noise too heavily.

- Dupe layer, Luminosity blend, adjust for contrast in R, G and B curves focussing on water detail
- Slight blue/green cast in sky, removed via LAB curve
- Push colours separation with straight line A&B curves (LAB)
- Flatten, RGB mode. Dupe layer, set luminosity blend mode, Blend If This Layer 0,100/120
- USM, 15%, 90px radius for "Local contrast" in shadows only

~ 5 minutes.

This took you five minutes? Ok :amstupid: what does all this mean? It looks ok to me but I'm looking on my phone for now!

here`s my attempt
ppgame-3.jpg

basic adjustments in raw
saved 3 files, for sky sea, and wall
burned into one file
added warming filter
cropped, sharpened.

Last edited:
Well there were two I really liked, but I finally settled on Flying Giraffe, I really like the texture in the wall :clap:

Here's my attempt:

IMG_8412fb.jpg

I opened it twice in ACR, the first to increase saturation in the sky and the orange and green tower things, the second to increase exposure in the wall.
I merged the two and erased the bits I didn't like. Cloned the handrail bottom right to make it square and lose the fury blob!
A very slight crop before sharpening.

Over to you Neil.

Thanks, there was a lot of really good entries so I'm really chuffed you liked mine, I'll have a look through my pics tonight and try to find a suitable one for you all:)

Well done Neil (y) and looking forward to you putting something up that is nice and easy :LOL: and that I win :nuts:

wamted a different look to pic
lomoacrbg.jpg

add lomo effect, and add vignette,
save pic,
open in ACRtweaked to suit,
open pic in PE9,
make new layer, fill white,
tranform pic slightly smaller,
drrag pic on top of white BG,
add inner glow,
save

In PE10

Fiddled a bit with Shadows & Highlights
Spent a lot of time on Hue/Saturation with each colour each on Hue, Saturation & Lightness
A lot of selective use of Saturation tool
A lot of use of the Sharpening tool
Unsharp Mask to finish

Tempted to crop off the bottom as it looks out of focus and a bit scruffy (sorry Neil ;) )

PS The colours in the sky were there and I've just pulled them out - not put some in :LOL:

TPSoleTree.jpg

Not a lot of time so I decided to try my hand at a B&W conversion using ACR only!

Opened in ACR and converted to Grayscale, then used the dropper/ sliders to tweak the shades.
Changed the curves to strong contrast and tweaked a little bit further but still clueless about curves!
I cropped it, then couldn't revert the crop (don't know how to undo some actions in ACR :bonk:) so had to live with it!!!!
Cloned out the telegraph pole and cable.
Added a slight vignette and a little extra grain.

Opened in CS5 and tweaked the levels a little.

NeilsPPimage.jpg

Last edited:
not too many entries, but im pleased with the ones ive got, its a toss up between 2, and im going to spin a coin because i love them all, and will req a full size copy too if that's ok, just spun, and the winner is.............................................. Daydreamer!, well done John, you've given it the spooky sort of look i was looking for, well done great edit, as where the other 2, in fact ill take a copy of them all please if that's ok

Wow!!

Thanks for that Neil, or should I say thanks to your coin :LOL:

Not many entries indeed but quality perhaps not quantity :D

Sorry but I am not yet a RAW shooter. Hope to be when I get my new laptop and possibly buy Lightroom 3 or 4. My laptop is on XP which is no good with the latest version of Lightroom and the software that comes with my two cameras is Silkypix which is UGH, UGH and UGH.

The picture was taken a few days ago, in Torquay, about 9 miles from where I live and is a Jpeg.

Let's say same time next week to give more time for more entries so 8/6/2012 at 7.00 pm.

Finally I don't mind cropping as I think it needs it.

TPCompetitionTorquayInnerHarbour.jpg

And the full sizd Jpeg is here
https://www.yousendit.com/download/QlVpNU1NQ1BqY3FKUmNUQw

Last edited:
Hi Neil

Looking forward to seeing your edit of the pic you put up - of the tree?

Incidentally where was it taken?

here`s my attempt
cropped
adjusted tone, colour and exposure
cloned out railing and a lot of the buoys
increased contrast in the water and buildings
saved

TPCompetitionTorquayInnerHarbouredit.jpg

:wave: This thread has gone very quiet!

When I first started looking at this thread I kept thinking shall I submit an edit or not. It took me a long while before I did so if you are like I was (dithering) just get one in. It's to help with your PP in a fun way.

:ty:

Well Neil and Walter it looks like this thread is proving less popular than it was. Perhaps it was the Jubilee Celebrations, or the half term, or the weather, or my photo of Torquay which may have been too boring :thinking:

This really is one where I have been going from one to the other (only two pics) and really 'nit picking' to try and get myself to go with one but I am going with Neils by a small smidgeon.

So well done Neil and for your next photo perhaps a bloody good looking nude (female for me) may get more interest. Only joking with that as I think the nudes go somewhere else :eek:

The crops were similar but I felt Neils just had that little more definition but a big thanks to you both :clap:

Here's my edit done entirely in PE10.

I follow my usual random pattern which is now slightly more sophisticated than it was as I use layers now!!!!!! It's posher ain't it :D

Cropped out railing to bottom.
Fiddled with levels.
Fiddled with saturation on each colour.
Used brush to further pick out primary colours.
Slightly sharpened.
And that's all folks :clap:

TPTorquayJohnsFinalEdit.jpg

thanks for the coin toss, i know how hard it is to pick, even with only a couple, not sure if its worth putting a pic up to be honest, if we can drum some interest up ill put ione on, cheers again John.

Hi Neil

Just tried this and :(

I never take portraits so never have done PP on this type of shot and am getting really stuck :thinking:

So far I have straightened, cropped tried picking out the couple and their young one but where next :thinking:

Better start learning how to do selections better :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
Mind if I join you? :)

family-001b.jpg

I use Gimp for pretty much everything.
I made a new base layer and bucket filled grey.
Erased background from original image.
Added a transparent layer over original and used the airbrush tool to make the background more interesting, painting over the original image and then erasing what went over the family....a bit of curves and sharpening.

Flattened, saved and in Picassa(it has some useful presets) used filtered B n W and added a bit of a vignette....

flyinggiraffefamily.jpg

Cropped and straightened
extracted family
extracted balloons and moved them and brightened them
created background from part of existing background (difference clouds) then played with it until happy with it with curves, selective colour and colour balance
Added a few lighting flares behind family to help separate from background
curve layer on black cardigan, suit and hair to bring out some detail
cloned hair over pale thing on the Mum's neck
added frame

Wow some really good edits - well impressed especially as I find people shots so hard. In fact I have just gone back to my part done edit and it's in the recycle bin. So start again buuuuuut :shake:

not played this for ages.. and i kind of got lost along the way a little.. but here goes.

Neil by leftcurl, on Flickr

worked with the jpeg in elements 9.

background copy layer.
selection of people, then select inverse
painted with splatter wet brush in pink, yellow and blue
changed layer to overlay
reselect people and apply poster edge filter
cloned out the tv with the splatter brush

Made a hash of the selection around the guys head.. but tried to give it a party feel.

Back