The Unofficial TP Android Apps Thread

In case anyone's not found out the hard way.. if you are running mPlayer on android do not accept any of the latest updates. The developer has decided not to continue offering iPlayer programmes. The Beeb denies strong arm tactics but there's a suspicion Auntie had her fingers crossed as she said that.

If you've already accepted the neutering update, the previous version can be downloaded online from several sources.

So far I've managed to avoid the update so not had to go for an older version, there's several links to the old version in the comments page for mPlayer on Market.

Supprised no ones mentioned Photo Tools.
A nice (if basic looking) app with a collection of useful tools. I mainly use it for the moon exposure calc. Also has DOF/hyperfocal calc, exposure calc (so what is my shutter if I add 10 stops etc)

I also have MyTracks to record GPS logs if I ever feel the need to GPS tag my pictures and GPS Time so I can check my camera clock to the GPS to get accurate results (ish its not great so I might write my own).

Google Sky. One of the best apps there is, and it's free!

And apparently not available for the iPhone, hah! (y)

Google Sky. One of the best apps there is, and it's free!

And apparently not available for the iPhone, hah! (y)

can never seem to get it to work without being qwerky!...

Has anyone found a good reciprocity calculater? Something that would allow the input of exposure data (shutter, aperture, ISO), allow one parameter to be fixed whilst changing another and having the third automatically compensate. It was handy for sanity checking long exposures with a short high ISO/aperture test shot before committing to final exposure several minutes long.

I found one a while ago but it was buggy to the point of being unusable, it capped out at Bulb mode beyond 30 seconds and if you strayed to the ends of any parameter it had a tendency to lose the exposure value and put you onto a false track.

Has anyone found a good reciprocity calculater? Something that would allow the input of exposure data (shutter, aperture, ISO), allow one parameter to be fixed whilst changing another and having the third automatically compensate. It was handy for sanity checking long exposures with a short high ISO/aperture test shot before committing to final exposure several minutes long.

I found one a while ago but it was buggy to the point of being unusable, it capped out at Bulb mode beyond 30 seconds and if you strayed to the ends of any parameter it had a tendency to lose the exposure value and put you onto a false track.

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/tools/exposure-calculator_hnct.html

Thanks, I'll give those a try.

Do we have a full function ebay app that's worth installing, I can't make head nor tail of the reviews, it seems they're all crap in one way or another and test driving all 10 of them is more than I can be arsed to do :thinking:

:)

What do you want to do? The official Ebay app allows you to track your watch list, bids, sales, make bids, your messages, search, etc. Saved sellers and saved searches aren't supported as far as I can see, but no real biggie - you can get your saved search notifications if you're using your phone for email anyway.

I haven't tried using it to put a sale onto Ebay, but frankly I'd always use a proper PC for that anyway.

I dunno what I expected, if it isn't full function you might as well just navigate by browser.
I thought it would be full function but with re-jigged windows and menu's to optimise it for little screens, to be fair some of them are like that but they all seem to be flawed by something essential like ebay messages or watchers and view stats..

I find the official app is faster to navigate than using a browser, not just load times but finding and accessing the parts of Ebay you're looking for. It's worth giving it a try.

Do we have a full function ebay app that's worth installing, I can't make head nor tail of the reviews, it seems they're all crap in one way or another and test driving all 10 of them is more than I can be arsed to do :thinking:

:)

I successfully use Pkt Auctions. Tried a few others and always go back to this one.

comments removed

And this helps support authors developing more and better apps in what way?

.. or is it just a way of pirating apps for cheapskates?

I think thieving b'ds is the forum next-door..

Last edited by a moderator:
comments removed

You need tapatalk to access it.
Did you pay £1.63 for it or did you download a cracked version of it first?
Seriously, you have a major problem if a couple of quid is too much for you to pay for an app you use on a regular basis.

I'd back you all the way in a debate with major software companies taking the pee on extortionate prices for computer software but some guy sat in his room developing great, cheap apps for a smartphone?
Come on, give me a break..

You have some nice landscape shots on your flickr.
I want some new desktop wallpapers for my PC and as you haven't protected them, I'm sure you don't mind me downloading them and using them?
I'll be happy to email them to all my friends and family as well.

You need tapatalk to access it.
Did you pay £1.63 for it or did you download a cracked version of it first?
Seriously, you have a major problem if a couple of quid is too much for you to pay for an app you use on a regular basis.

I'd back you all the way in a debate with major software companies taking the pee on extortionate prices for computer software but some guy sat in his room developing great, cheap apps for a smartphone?
Come on, give me a break..

You have some nice landscape shots on your flickr.
I want some new desktop wallpapers for my PC and as you haven't protected them, I'm sure you don't mind me downloading them and using them?
I'll be happy to email them to all my friends and family as well.

Completely agree (y)

For photo stuff I also use Photo Tools, has lots of little handy stuff, use Photography Assistant for easy hyperfocal calculation, again Exposure Calculator for quickly working out exposure times for welding glass photos.

General tools,
swype for keyboard (its not on marketplace, google it and sign up for beta),

opera mini for browsing,

colour flashlight for a torch (handy in the garage),

handcent sms for texting,

speedview is handy for average speed cameras, can get about 5mph faster than the car speedo shows.

Soundcloud for my soundcloud account

Soundhound for identifying music

Games (handy for the morning toilet visit) angry birds rio, completed that so its doodle jump at the moment, the missus likes bubble popper

Have fun :D

are there any apps out there to control the launching of apps, i know there are loads of 'task killer' type apps out there that allow you to kill off apps running in the background but are there any that will prevent pesky apps from loading up in the background (BBC iplayer and drop box do this) when not asked.

thanks

Jamie

I saw a Tweet from Paul O'Brien (Modaco) a few days ago about a new app with "Freeze" in the name or something like that. 99p for the first 1,000 sales or something. I have not looked into it, but I think it might provide the solution you seek.

Last edited:
thanks Tdodd,

another app im liking at the moment, its called unified remote and can control your PC from your mobile, which is pretty cool if you use your computer to control media and stuff.

Advanced Task Killer
Air Control Lite
Air Horn
Air Attack
Angry Birds
Auto Express
BBC News
eBay
Facebook
Flashlight
Goggles
Google Sky Map
Gravity Lander
Instant Heart Rate
IQ tester
Shazam
Shop Savvy
Sky+
Snowjob
Soundhound
Tank Hero
Traffic Control
Unblock me free (puzzle game)
World War

More than I had thought :geek:

3G Watchdog is good for tracking my monthly data usage (only useful for those without an unlimited data plan).

Lookout Mobile Security. I've not tried any other mobile security, but for free download I'm pleased with this one so far.

One of the best apps for info on planes is plane finder. Available in 2 versions plane finder free shows your location (or any location you want to go to) and shows planes flying over with their call sign Etc.
If you go for the full version (£2.99) you get the aircraft type, route, height, speed, flight company, and a whole host of other info. Very interesting to see where planes are going to

There is now a Talk Photography App! Just the job I hear you say, and yes it is!

Back