The Unofficial TP Android Apps Thread

Name
The King Of Prestwich
Edit My Images
Yes
Right, as there's an Iphone thread about apps, I thought I'd do same for those with Android phones. I haven't actually got my HTC Hero yet, but it's due tomorrow!! :)

So, who can recomend some apps to get me, and the thread, started?? :D

Advanced Task Killer Lite - ideal for shutting down apps that don't exit properly

Barcode Scanner - scan a product barcode and it will google search to check prices

Bubble - spirit level app

Facebook - official facebook client

Twitdroid - Twitter client. Hero has Peep built in

Google Sky Map - star map. Very clever

GPS Status - useful

Locale - change behaviour of phone based upon location and time and other parameters.

My Tracks - tracks your route and plots on a google map

Shazam - identifies music tracks and gives you title and artist

TV Guide - online radio times

wptogo - update wordpress blog on the hoof

London Tube Status [Travel]

An essential app if you ever travel by tube in London. Shows you the live status of all lines (excluding DLR) and also features live departure boards for virtually every station. It also features a handy 'favourites' function for fast access to the stations you use most often.

The only thing it doesn't do is provide you with a tube map and show you how to get from A to B, but that's where the app below comes in.

London Underground (London City) [Travel]

As far as I know this is the only free tube app that has a licensed map from TfL, so it's worth picking up just for that. But it's also a handy guide for getting around London and when paired with London Tube Status you'll be navigating your way across London via the tube with consummate ease.

Bubble [Tools]

At first I thought this was a bit of a gimmick and only loaded on my Hero so I could mess around with it, but once calibrated it's actually quite useful and pretty accurate. I can see this coming in handy...

Dolphin Browser [Communication]

I find this to be a fair bit faster to load pages than the default browser, but annoyingly it doesn't support Flash. It does support gestures, multitouch and all manner of other nifty features, so it's certainly worth loading on your Android device and running in tandem with the in-built browser.

ASTRO File Manager [Productivity]

A fantastic app for managing all the files on your Android phone and for backing up and moving data around. Also a brilliant way of backing up all your apps to your SD card - just install ASTRO after a wipe and restore all your apps from the card!

Abduction! [Games]

The only game I've got loaded on my Hero and there's a reason why - it's so damn addictive. Unfortunately it's also quite punishing, but with regular practice you'll soon be bouncing your way to the top of the levels with ease. And believe me; you'll not get tired of practising!

Also worth checking out Abduction! World Attack if you have £1.35 to spare and liked what you saw in the free version.

NetSentry [Tools]

I wasn't sure whether to use this or NetCounter as they both seemed to get positive reviews, so I installed them both and ran them side-by-side to see which worked for me - and there was a clear winner. NetSentry's UI and its wealth of features makes it by far the better app. I'd class this as essential.

SMS Popup [Tools]

A very simple program that pops up a notification on your screen when you receive a text message. Sunds simple, is simple, works brilliantly. Should be a pre-installed app.

In fact the only downside is that the Messenges software on my Hero doesn't like it. But that's not a problem as I use chompSMS to manage my texts.

chompSMS [Communication]

There were a number of annoying issues with my Hero's Messages application that I couldn't work my way around. Things like not being able to select a recipient from a list and instead having to type their name out. But having discovered chompSMS I've not looked back. A truly fantastic app.

SMS Backup [Tools]

Automatically backs up your text messages to your Gmail/Google Mail account. Almost worth signing up for an account just so you can use this.

WiFinder [Communication]

So far this is the only WiFi scanner app I've found that works. Seems a lot more reliable than the built-in WiFi app on my Hero and also shows signal strength of all your local access points.

Compass [Tools]

A very basic compass app that works. Simple as that really.

Astrid Task/Todo Lists [Productivity]

A beautifully designed and realised task manager application that's good enough for it to have been installed on the phone by default.

ShopSavvy [Shopping]

Scan a barcode with your camera and this app will find the best prices for you on the internet as well as local stores. Very useful.

Locale [Productivity]

As the blurb says it 'dynamically manages your phone settings based on conditions, such as Location and Time'. I use it to switch my Hero to silent when I get to my office and turn all the sounds back on when I leave again as well as turning off all those battery draining functions when I'm running low on juice. A truly brilliant app.

Barcode Scanner [Shopping]

Another barcode scanner like ShopSavvy but this one has some other features. Namely being able to scan in QR barcodes like you'll find on the AndroLib and having your phone find and install them.

Shazam [Multimedia]

Ever been listening to a piece of music and couldn't quite work out who it was by? Not any more!

GPS Status [Travel]

Displays your GPS status along with detailed information about how many satellites you are connecting to, your speed, acceleration and bearing. It's even got a compass. What more could you want?

Advanced Task Killer [Productivity]

Some people insist they don't need an application like this, but I've found it to be essential when my phone is cluttered up with apps running in the background and hogging memory. Easy to set up, easy to use and works brilliantly.

Another Hero user here :)
I dont have a list of my fav apps as I still go through loads of them ;D

great mobile ! all iPhones can hide ;D

My HTC andorid is on order and i am awaiting delivery can't wait to get started.

Anymore apps i should know about? what about a converter?

My HTC andorid is on order and i am awaiting delivery can't wait to get started.

Anymore apps i should know about? what about a converter?

What do you mean by converter - to convert what??

Layar is a favourite app of mine at the moment, along with voice search. There's also a droid version of Photoshop now.

What they really need is some kind of camera firmware upgrade for the hero. I know the camera's rubbish, but somebody should be able to program to expose properly at least!!!

Ooooh - Anrdoid (y)

On Mine now ( In no particular order )

Wikitued World Browser
barcode2file
Taskpannel
Wifi Analyser
PKt Auctions EBAY
Record it ( Sky plus / HD :) )
Location Scout
FartDroid ( well it had to be done hehe )
Compass
Startup Auditor
Bar Code Scanner
A couple of HTC developed widgets from the Market
Meebo
Places Directory
AudioBoo
Fixmystreet
Autospeaker
Sharemyapps
Bubble Level
Bloo ( on and off )
FB Android

And some other bits and bobs.... mines stock Tmobile ( at the moment ) and non rooted.

Keep an eye on coolsmartphone.com & modaco.com ;)

Terran

PS Candlestick... you know the voice stuff and more are in the 2.1 build thats on the way dont you ;)

Last edited:
Ah didn't realise voice search wasn't within the standard build. I rooted mine about 2 months ago and I'm using the latest modaco ROM. It was very scary to root, but it definitely speeded up the phone. Vodafone don't support the hero so I doubt id get the 2.1 upgrade easily anyway as I'm on contract with them

Abduction! [Games]

The only game I've got loaded on my Hero and there's a reason why - it's so damn addictive. Unfortunately it's also quite punishing, but with regular practice you'll soon be bouncing your way to the top of the levels with ease. And believe me; you'll not get tired of practising!

Damn you...

Getting the 7 falling gorillas in the challenge section is hard.

Got a Nexus One here - love it, but the media side is nowhere near as polished as the iPhone IMO, but the screen is to die for.

Just thought I would bump this up to see if anyone has anything else to add

Juice Defender helps extend battery life. Worth a look :)

I'm surprised this App (depth of field calculator) hasnt been mentioned yet.

And for those of you that switch your phone to silent and then misplace it try SCREAM

Easy Phone Tunes (for iTunes) Sync your iTunes music

Sync to a playlist or your whole library, no limit on the number of tracks

Exflashlight inc. SOS Morse code

Not to keen on the access some of these Apps have. Or is it me that doesn't fully understand?

Last edited:
just bought Fruit Ninja, at only £0.67 it is brilliant ;D

For anyone who into rooting their android phone.

Titanium backup - The best at most versatile app for doing back ups.
Root explorer - Get rid of the apps you don't use that the manufacturers pre- install and free up some valuable storage space.
Uninstall - A nice app for uninstalling apps.
Cachemate - Clears the cache of unwanted rubbish.
Spare parts - A nice util for managing memory and closing apps not in use
Apps2SD - This is for anyone using a version of Android lower than 2.2, it allows you to move apps from the system memory onto the SD Card.
Although this feature is standard on 2.2, it depends if the software developer has implemented the feature.
I've not tried Apps2SD on 2.2 but I believe it will allow you to move apps regardless.

Rooting not required

ES File Explorer - Access directories on your computer and copy / paste data.
FolderOganizer - Rather than have umpteen home screens with widget / app shorcuts, create folders that sit on the home screen that give you shortcuts to the various apps you use.
MixZing - Probably the best music player for Android.
Rock Player - Fantastic video play that supports most file formats.
Audiomanager - A nice tool for controlling system volume etc. Create profile widgets for various situations.
ADW Launcher & Launcher Pro - Generally a lot better than the stock launchers and allow more flexibility and control.
Beautiful Widgets - It's quite often the No 1 paid for app in the market, a very nice app and widgets.
Gemini Calendar - The best calendar I have come across and better than the one I paid for.
Shake 'n' not stirred - A nice alarm clock.
Lockbot - A very nice screenlock with lots of custom feature. It's a nice app but if you use bluetooth head/earphones, the volume controls will not work with this app.

These are the ones I use and even the free ones are worth paying for in my opinion.

The best place for Android help, tips and very good developers helping to improved Android: http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Last edited:
What do you mean by converter - to convert what??

Layar is a favourite app of mine at the moment, along with voice search. There's also a droid version of Photoshop now.

What they really need is some kind of camera firmware upgrade for the hero. I know the camera's rubbish, but somebody should be able to program to expose properly at least!!!

I ment a unit converter - found 1 but tbh its a bit pants it the one iphone app i really like (i know i should be shot for saying that, but the iphone one is excellent)

I've got me a Desire, and I love it to bits, My 'must-have' apps:

Barcode Scanner,

Last.fm - Free, intelligent streaming music

rMaps - Maps application, not as featured as Gmaps but the map detail includes footpaths.

Twitter - their own app for android (not HTC's peep)

Facebook - their own app (not HTC Sense)

SportsTracker - Tracks exercise (speed, distance, altitude, maps route etc)

NetCounter - Network Data use monitoring and alerting - vital if you're a heavy mobile internet user

Financisto - cash tracking/finance application, the best I've found for keeping track of ones cash

Aldiko - eBook reader, I prefer it to Kindle (more/better free books) and if you install the Project Gutenberg custom catalogue, There's even more free books.

advance task killer - does what it says on the box
blow up lite - great fun game
crush the castle - who can resist playing with trebuchet's?
goggles - googles image search
Light studio - allows you to plot and save studio lighting set ups
retro camera - fun with your camera
photoshop express - yep adobe photoshop for your android!

a couple ive found recently-
angry birds lite - quite addictive but didnt take long at all, may buy the full game at some point
A-tilt 3d labyrinth - similar to the pre installed marble game on the desire but many more levels and quite addictive
post it desk - seems good, but due to the HTC sense software there isnt much space to place desktops on the home screen.

Has this been pulled from the market as I am having trouble finding it?

I did too, ended up downloading the APK file from a forum somewhere, throwing it on the sd card and installing from there.
Its the full android version not beta, 150 levels, not as many as the iphone but not bad for free.
Its meant to be ad supported but I haven't seen any ads at all, it might be available from android market now I dunno.

The full Angry Birds is now available from the markets.. ad supported and fiendishly addictive.

Just checked the market again and I am not finding Angry Birds By Rovio Mobile

The full Angry Birds is now available from the markets.. ad supported and fiendishly addictive.

Damn you - there's another day wasted :p:D:bonk:

Its meant to be ad supported but I haven't seen any ads at all...

ah well......so I turn off everything I'm not using with app killer, no point in having stuff running it just wastes battery life, but tonight I had occasion to use a wifi connection whilst in the middle of an angry birds session and got a shed load of ads.
So don't play angry birds whilst connected to the interwebz and it'll be ad free..:)

Back