THE WAY WE WERE.

Surely this thread deserves a revival... any more ancient pics of F&C folk to share?

(Mine were destroyed by Photoblackmail, fixed them up with uploads I hope.)
go on then-
me and my mum and dad, on holiday in matching paca-macs! approx. 42 yrs ago
dads holding his zenith that he recently gave to me and I just got scans of 1st film back!

img589 copy.jpg

I'd edit my posts but I'm not sure what I posted way back then

Me and my 2 sisters on a Honda clonk

3004s2q.jpg

me and my sister in what looks like oblivious abject poverty...lol

ne87eg.jpg

this might be the dodgy wallpaper one I dunno, such is the scale of wrongness going on in this picture, the wallpaper seems a minor detail.

2z8nomv.jpg

Wakefield Express pic 1977.....mebbe, I know virtually everyone in the crowd

5dseg7.jpg

From my Mother and Fathers wedding with my Gparents, so before I was born
These are slides shot professionally obviously, they're absolutely stunningly beautiful things in the hand.

5anrib.jpg

Wonderful exposure. Look at the detail in Mums Wedding dress.

Wonderful exposure. Look at the detail in Mums Wedding dress.

They are all like that, scans don't do them justice, I've lost detail in the whites just trying to maintain something in the blacks.
They're amazing, massive respect to the pros, they really knew what they were doing with slide back in the day, wish I knew what the film was.

33ok7iu.jpg

Bryan, me and Derek, Northampton 1977ish.
by Raglansurf, on Flickr

Bryan, me and Derek, taken in St Gile's Terrace, Northampton some time 1977ish. Punk obviously hadn't hit Northampton by then, hence the enormous flairs:LOL: Jacket from Burton's I think, (we weren't exactly spoilt for choice in terms of clothes shops in Northampton) and Falmers baggy jeans. Probably taken on a Zenith E, not sure of the film stock as this was scanned from a print but probably something hideous like a Tudor freeby.

Thats an epic pic the mrs came to see what I was laughing at. :)

Thats an epic pic the mrs came to see what I was laughing at. :)
I really don't see any cause for hilarity, that's what all the hip kids were wearing in 1976 :bat:

1962 - Criccieth Castle - Oh the days of matching wooly jumpers knitted by Mum for the summer holidays. I'm the one my Dad is not letting go of. Looking at the state of the walls and the big arrow slit next to me I don't blame him. I had a habit of falling in, over or through things. Kodachrome slide by older brother on his Agfa camera.

cricceth.JPG

I'm the one in a horizontal position. Towards the end of June 1967, Exaka Varex IIB, probably Domiplan 50mm lens, self timer, camera resting on desk in the classroom. Hemsworth Grammar School, West Riding of Yorkshire.

crop0003.jpg

I'm from Crofton - the next village to you I think... I put the HGS tag in with you in mind :)

Painted the outside of that dentists in Crofton......30 years ago....lol

Mrs Nicholson....had a fetish for microporus paint...:cautious:

They are all like that, scans don't do them justice, I've lost detail in the whites just trying to maintain something in the blacks.
They're amazing, massive respect to the pros, they really knew what they were doing with slide back in the day, wish I knew what the film was.

33ok7iu.jpg
Kodachrome 64 probably looking at the rendition of the reds and the detail. Plus K64 was archival quality.

Last edited:
1962 - Criccieth Castle - Oh the days of matching wooly jumpers knitted by Mum for the summer holidays. I'm the one my Dad is not letting go of. Looking at the state of the walls and the big arrow slit next to me I don't blame him. I had a habit of falling in, over or through things. Kodachrome slide by older brother on his Agfa camera.

View attachment 120084
People in the 60s didn't have feet :)

Mrs Nicholson....had a fetish for microporus paint...:cautious:

Did I need to know that? I can remember when Crofton didn't have a doctor's surgery (next village again if you needed to visit) chemist or dentist. It did have two butchers and a dairy. Times change - always for the worse :(.

Three more from 1967, this time from Wakefield.

First up: Wakefield Museum in Wood Street. The plinth is occupied by a bust of Vespasian. I spent many hours going round the museum, and have several photos of the interior. It's in a new building now of course...

crop0007.jpg

Next, a couple from the chemists in Kirkgate who supplied my film, paper and chemicals. Not to mention my first enlarger. In those days it was Heaton's; now the same building is the Kingfisher Pharmacy. Those who know the area might be more interested in the view of Kirkgate outside which was very different in those days before the mass demolitions.

crop0034.jpg crop0035.jpg

Last edited:
This is my Mum and sister celebrating the new year in Spain 1999 Approx.

Back