THE WAY WE WERE.

I found this amongst my father's DufayColor slides, as a black and white 6*9 negative. I've had to crop it, as my 7-year-old sister is clad similar to me. Northern Ireland, aged about 3, we think...

FBWH12.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PMN
here is ME when I was 16 in the Senior Scouts and taken by my MUM on DUFAYCOLOR 'Additive' System colour reversal film on my 1950's Ensign Selfix 16/20 Model II with the 75mm f3.5 Ross Xpres lens at f5.6 amd 1.60th second as the film was FAST if you got a 6 ASA batch !
DUFAYCOLOR
was a B&W emulsion with a coloured 'RESEAU' of Red Green Blue lines printed on the film base -- the light went through the coloured lines onto the film emulsion, which was reversal processed leaving Silver grains to block up certain colour areas and no silver on others which let the light through -- so for a RED post box there would be clear areas in the RED and the other lines would be blocked up with silver so only the RED colour got through.

Dufaycolor
by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Clear steely determination in that pic, Peter, and in your avatar! I found some DufayColors (made from 1938-1950-ish) last year in a box left by my father, and we have a nice thread where some folk here helped me to identify some of the locations. I had no idea the ISO might be as low as 6! I'm pretty sure all my father's would have been hand-held (on a Zeiss Ikonta that I'll get my hands on later this year), and they're mostly pretty sharp. Respect going up!

must try and find some of me ,,,,,love this thread

Last edited:
I really enjoyed looking through this thread. I have boxs of negatives and some old cameras of my parents that I have been looking for for quite sometime. This thread spurs me on to keep looking.

To benefit mankind, my ex-girlfriends and ex-wives destroyed nearly all of my earlier pictures. :D

Since you wrote "nearly", I'm afraid you're gonna have to stand and deliver, William!

Chris, goes without saying, be careful what you wish for, lol. This is scanned from a print, 1990 (I was 40) upon occasion of the IG inspection of the clinic, MCAS Iwakuni, Japan. No, we
didn't eat at Dairy Queen.:) That's me on the left, CDR W, and some guy from BuMED (Washington DC) on the right.

5903981192_d9c5648533_z.jpg

Looks like we were before our time again with this thread...

#ThrowbackThursday anyone ;)

I'll stay here, I think. This is the first ever photo taken (of me) with my first "serious" camera, a Werra 1 bought with money from my 21st. Why I let someone else get their hands on it for the first shot, I dn't know. This is what students wore in the swinging 60s, folks! Pretty sure that's a Ford Anglia in the background, which is why I didn't crop it. Somewhere at Imperial College. Bit of negative damage... I normally note the film stock in the folder title, but obviously hadn't started doing that when I scanned this.

CB67A01A.jpg

[EDIT: I thought I should put up a pic so you can recognise me if I get to the meet ;) .]

Last edited:
So we just need to keep a look out for a guy carrying a camera or two and wearing a yellow cardy?

Last edited:
... and wearing a tie, de riguere obviously!

I'm still psychologically scarred from being forced to wear yellow knitted (by my mum) stuff. She even knitted a pair of yellow woollen swimming trunks when I was about 4yo.

A couple recently discovered B&W,guess the celebration.:)

Last edited:
Yes, but whose?...... :thinking:

So, if thats you dressed as a clown I'd say it must be .... George V1 ......:D

Me taken approx. 47 years ago, I think my mum said my dad had taken it on my uncles brownie? not 100% sure,

Now we know where Simon Cowell gets his fashion advice :LOL:

I was given a Kershaw Penguin 6x9 folder by an old lady for helping her with her computer. She's given it to her late husband for his 21st birthday - she's in her 80s now.

Well, when I opened it up I found an undeveloped roll of Boots film. I got it developed today - and the images aren't bad, considering it must be 35+ years old. The backing paper has done its damage (I assume that's what the waffle imprint is on every frame) but I'm very happy with it, and I hope she will be too. Can't wait to put a roll through the camera now.

View attachment 13852

I was given a Kershaw Penguin 6x9 folder by an old lady for helping her with her computer. She's given it to her late husband for his 21st birthday - she's in her 80s now.

Well, when I opened it up I found an undeveloped roll of Boots film. I got it developed today - and the images aren't bad, considering it must be 35+ years old. The backing paper has done its damage (I assume that's what the waffle imprint is on every frame) but I'm very happy with it, and I hope she will be too. Can't wait to put a roll through the camera now.

View attachment 13852

Fabulous. I'll bet it brought a tear to her eye.

Fabulous. I'll bet it brought a tear to her eye.
I rather think it did! She was very happy.

She also told me it was probably 1972. I wonder if we'll have any luck getting photos off of 42 year old memory cards in the future . . .

23250788 Corporal Elgar P. J. Royal Army Medical Corps taken when I was 21 in Iserlohn, Germany. 1958, on my 1953 Ensign Selfix 16/20 II with 75mm f3.5 Ross Xpres lens and Agfa Isopan film I processed myself in the Military Hospital X-Ray department darkroom.
Cpl Elgar RAMC 1958 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

^^^^^^^^^^

I love that photograph and for 1958 the quality of the B&W shot would be envious of today.

Thanks -- I could use the X-Ray Dept Darkroom as it was next to the Pathology Lab where i worked-- there was an enlarger etc but the FIXER was green with the hardener, Chrome Alum and it stained any prints GREEN ! I used to make up my own film developers such as the Beutler Formula from chemicals -- we had a good supply of free chemicals !

23250788 Corporal Elgar P. J. Royal Army Medical Corps taken when I was 21 in Iserlohn, Germany. 1958, on my 1953 Ensign Selfix 16/20 II with 75mm f3.5 Ross Xpres lens and Agfa Isopan film I processed myself in the Military Hospital X-Ray department darkroom.
Cpl Elgar RAMC 1958 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
That's such a great shot, so sharp, it looks like it could have been shot last weekend at some 1940's revival meeting.

Fantastic shot Pete, those little 16-20's were and still are top class. I love mine.

Andy

Short days and long dark evenings are a good reason to bump this thread and lend ourselves to some p*** taking for a bit of fun so here's one from me.

As if you can't guess, I'm the under aged sprog holding a pint of bitter ( which used to make me sooooo poorly!) "after hours" surrounded by older cycling colleagues .......It was the anual cycling clubs Christmas ride out on the IOM .....8 miles to the pub, lock in, half plastered ride back home. All over the road we were yet never was there an incident. By the time I left the island, this event had been knocked on the head due to being considered "dangerous" although tbh i think the real reason was the pub landlord becoming increasingly concerned about his licence:beer::p:D

Darren Friar Richard Fletcher  Gary Hinds The Hawthorn Pub  Greeba IOM 1980s.jpg

Good idea Asha, I shall root out some of me with hair. :D

I'm thinking about 1968/69
Us-about-1968 by Andy, on Flickr

Dad, Me and my little bro Ian, Edinburgh in 1973 I think.
Dad-me-and-Ian-Edbro-1973 by Andy, on Flickr

Me, and my cousins Rob and Sue, with Yogurt (Steve really) peaking in from the left. My 18th birthday in 1979.
Me-18th by Andy, on Flickr

Surely this thread deserves a revival... any more ancient pics of F&C folk to share?

(Mine were destroyed by Photoblackmail, fixed them up with uploads I hope.)

Back