THE WAY WE WERE.

Here are a selection from the archive...

1972, shortly after my brother was born on holiday in Cornwall (with my Dad and Sister) :

8509939285_f3ee3c89fb_c.jpg

This was me, at about the same time, and my sis Kate (she was my 2nd Birthday present) ... those that watch BBC News may know her now: Kate Russell ... I love this picture!
8511058606_1d07f36a67_c.jpg

Me and my new bike a few years later in Crowthorne:
8511054072_66498b73b5_c.jpg

And now me, at Uni in Coventry in 1985:
8511062474_90fefebcf6_c.jpg

The last picture was taken by my PentaxME Super that I had saved up for with paper round money before going off to Uni.

Finally me last year at Cropredy, taken by my 11 year old daughter with my Nikon D5100 ... I've lost 3 stone since then but am seldom to be seen on the right side of the lens to be snapped!

8509986525_3c1fe94930.jpg

Great idea and keep em coming.

I like this post. This is why I take so many photos of my family. To have memories like these from different stages of their lives is something I hope they will value.

Love this thread :)

Now to raid the large box of photos that have been buried in the cupboard for years. (y)

Here are a selection from the archive...

1972, shortly after my brother was born on holiday in Cornwall (with my Dad and Sister) :

8509939285_f3ee3c89fb_c.jpg

This was me, at about the same time, and my sis Kate (she was my 2nd Birthday present) ... those that watch BBC News may know her now: Kate Russell ... I love this picture!
8511058606_1d07f36a67_c.jpg

Me and my new bike a few years later in Crowthorne:
8511054072_66498b73b5_c.jpg

And now me, at Uni in Coventry in 1985:
8511062474_90fefebcf6_c.jpg

The last picture was taken by my PentaxME Super that I had saved up for with paper round money before going off to Uni.

Finally me last year at Cropredy, taken by my 11 year old daughter with my Nikon D5100 ... I've lost 3 stone since then but am seldom to be seen on the right side of the lens to be snapped!

8509986525_3c1fe94930.jpg

Great idea and keep em coming.

I agree - a cracking thread.

And if I am not mistaken, that is a poster of David Bowie on your wall

Spooks

Somewhere on another HDD I think I've got some photos of me as a wee 'un. If not, I might have the 2 1/4" slides. Beware, may contain noods!

A couple of me with my brother. Probably around 1970.

Knitting%20Pattern.jpg

Steve%20and%20Paul%20at%20Puckpool.jpg

And me with my dad around 1967 or 1968.

Me%20and%20Dad.jpg

All three from Kodachrome slides. The first two taken with my father's Nikon and the third with my mother's Instamatic.

Steve.

Last edited:
I've been working away at the big box of old photo's again, and spotted this one...

Sharlston Wheelers by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Photo of Sharlston Wheelers, probably taken by my Dad, only person that I actually recognise being my Uncle Arthur who was afaik the "Road Captain" of this Motley Crew...

Taken back in the day, where pretty much every little village had its own little cycle touring club. "The Wheelers" used to be out and about every weekend - and I know they managed to get as far afield as the north of Scotland and over to Ireland.

I'm pretty sure that the shot was taken in Malham - Looks awfully like Gordale Scar in the background...

Nice thread :)

I think this was taken in 1982/3, as we were on our way up Ben Nevis. That's me and my brothers, with me in the middle in orange. Ian, on the left, always was a show off; that's one of the very first Goretex jackets seen in the UK! Mine was rubberised nylon :( !

Taken with an Olympus XA as far as I remember, probably with Kodak Gold film.

Scan 7 by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

I'm not sure that's the photography changing, more the fashion. And yes, I agree not necessarily for the better!

(Serious note; if I could wind the clock back 25 years and have today's photography applied to my wedding, I would. Wedding photography back then was all about getting groups to pose, not capturing the day. The amateur snap shots we have are better!)

i've made a poiint of avoiding ANYTHING to do with wedding photography for the best part of 20 years (since I stopped being 2nd shooter/assitant) at it - at least until 2 years ago, where I had to step into the breach and shoot half a dozen - and I'll freely admit, it was a damned sight easier, and more enjoyable now than it was when you had 2 rolls of 220 (one B&W, one C41) and a Hassy to contend with.

But, as I hate shooting any pictures with people in, for me, it's probably the difference between Root Canal Work and just Having a Boil Lanced...

I am getting married next month and haven't bothered with an official photographer. There will be lots of cameras there so hopefully a pooling of the best shots from everyone will capture the day (unless of course you are offering to dust off the Hasselbald Mark?).

I do think there's a big difference between pooling the best amateur shots and a pro tog though Mark (Threeracers Mark that is, there are too many of us!).

For my brother's wedding in 2011, we did both; he had a pro tog, who delivered an exceptionally good set, and we also left cards on every seat, asking people to email me their photos from the day. We then made a photo book out of them as part of their wedding gift.

They wouldn't be without either set, as they capture quite different views of the day.

Some of the amateurs are decent photographers so we should be ok (famous last words....)

For a bit of fun I have also hired one of those photobooths - a bit like a passport photobooth but you can fit more people in - and we get a copy of all of the output in a photobook.

Sounds brilliant!

Thats me on the right with my little sister in 1969.

8512226663_6308df6fb8_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

jLB6q3P.jpg

hi i'm new here! :cool:

May 12th 1989 outside the Tower of London with my brothers. That's me with the camera at the back. Absolutely no idea what it was taken on as my dad had a lot of cameras.

Hoping to get around to recreating this shot one day, maybe i'll upload it here.

Welcome to the best bit of the forum and I think recreating old photos is a cracking idea.

I'm slowly making my way through the massive hold all of photographs we found in my late grandfather's flat after he passed on Monday. Some good stuff and good memories in there:

Me, my Papu and my brother in 1998 at my brother's 21st. I'm on the left:

us
by rednorters, on Flickr

And two photo booths of the man himself. Separated by about sixty years;

papu
by rednorters, on Flickr

Cheers.

Great to see Norters, amazing to see the two photo booth shots. My Dad died earlier this year and I've yet to go through all the photos yet but I'll get round to it some time, it may be a job for long winter evenings.

Norters, As Nick says, great to see two taken in the same way so far apart and sorry to here of your families loss.

On a side issue, I bet you are glad to be the Brother on the left. :)

What a fabulous thread - tears of laughter rolling down cheeks - triggered great memories.
And great accompanying banter.

I will find some prints ..... then I'll buy a scanner.

Im guessing my first day at school sometime in the mid 70s

and my great great grand dad. Pre and post photoshop. Would be interesting to try and find out what regiment he was in.

Last edited:
Nice family photo,s there, the crossed rifles on the LH sleeve denotes Marksman, this was first introduced in the ranks I think in the 1870,s, which would mean depending on your age, he would be your Grandfather or Great grandfather, I not sure he could be Great Great, but not 100%.

The insignia has been available to the Army and RAF, but I would date your photo some way prior to 1900 so Army and more precise Infantry, unfortunately the RH sleeve would show rank if any and that cannot be brought back even with content aware fill. :).

When you look close at the stick presented under the LH arm, it would be a swagger stick, but ,it looks metallic possible silver and if so may mean that the rank was Sergeant Major and at the time was a warrant officers position, but, all ranks at the time could and would have carried a swagger stick when in dress uniform. The white webbing belt is different and the Royal Marines springs to mind.

Last edited:
blimey, thanks for that :) yeah i was thinking about it earlier, its my dads grand dad so just the one Great i think!

Sadly my father in law died a few weeks ago. While sorting his possessions came across loads of old family photographs. Really wish he had shared them while he was alive, as we have no idea who the majority of people are.

So am now starting to scan them, and thought I'd share a couple:

9673579500_3b3e0cf625_b.jpg

9670352851_4b1e64ebb6_b.jpg

I like these as they are typical of the period they were taken. But for the one below I am mystified as to what is going on. Funny hats, big bottles of beer. Maybe a stag party from the 1930s (did such a thing even exist then?). Comedy photo from a daytrip to Blackpool?

9670353407_63b441a4f1_b.jpg

Excellent thread

Rachel-2.jpg

Dodgy Boots film I think, taken with a Canon AE1, around 1990
My daughter aged about 3 in a paddling pool in Mablethorpe.
She`s 26 now
Where does the time go?

I think this one was in 1963. My mum managed to talk the school into accepting me early, I had just turned four.
I'm the one catching flies, first left, front row on your screen. Poor kid next to me already had a combover. What a bonny bunch we were.

the top hats and comedy large bottles weren't an uncommon prop apparently...

Bikes and Bottles by The Big Yin, on Flickr

(Actually, just checked the photo - and on the back it says "Stag Do, Blackpool" - and looking at the background, it could well have been the same studio, judging from the clothing, probably a good few years earlier mind...)

the top hats and comedy large bottles weren't an uncommon prop apparently...

Bikes and Bottles by The Big Yin, on Flickr

(Actually, just checked the photo - and on the back it says "Stag Do, Blackpool" - and looking at the background, it could well have been the same studio, judging from the clothing, probably a good few years earlier mind...)

Thanks for posting this Mark.....great to see another photo that helps with mine.

Yes...props the same and background similar, so could well be the same studio. My wife's grandad is one of the guys in the picture. and he got married in 1931, so may be his stag party.

Ok my turn now, there have been some great pictures on here, I only hope in 100 years time my children's descendants will be looking at my digital images - I wonder??

Milbeach_3_6_63_small_mod.jpg

Me (little fat thing on left) at 7 1/2 months old. This was taken in a caravan at "Millbeach" it says on the picture. Year - 1963

David

So I gotta do some square scans for a montage.
Preferably with me in them cos they're rare, like hens teeth rare, I'm usually the other side of the camera.
Anyway they gotta have snoopy 1 and snoopy 2 in them too, we had to let snoopy 2 go a couple of weeks ago....:crying:
They're scratched and full of dust but so emotionally charged for me right now, I don't wanna change them in any way...:shrug:

View attachment 2373

View attachment 2374

View attachment 2375

View attachment 2376

snoopy 2 liked ladies stockings...its the way we were.

Great thread

Here's some of me.

These would have been taken by my dad using a Kodak camera with a flappy down bellows front. I still have it and also loads of negs.

I was born in Nov 71 so I'm guessing these were the summer of 72

10846548204_86eed54a12_c.jpg

10846739933_00f7054c14_c.jpg

These are me aged 1 or 2

On my horse
10846478626_6594dab34c_c.jpg

On holiday in Wales. Me on the right plus older brother and sister
10846505656_8e0c9ebabe_c.jpg

and with my mum
10846769033_6ba0856ee6_c.jpg

Back