The23rdman's 52 for 2010- Week 24 - METAL

This is fast becoming one of my favourite threads to follow and I think I'm becoming a fan of your strobist work. This week's image is awesome and very creative and although scary at first sight (the image, not your face :D), has a fun element to it at the same time.
Well done!

If those are banisters, that makes it a double stare / stair this week - so you couldn't get any closer to the theme.

I'm still totally baffled by all this strobist speak, but keep it up because you're getting great results (y)
You've managed to get some really interesting shadows across your face and I love the way that you're looking slightly upwards at the camera.

I don't think I can offer anything any more constructive than that sorry - this is way out of my comfort zone.
Another great week for you though :clap:

Cracking shot, love the green :cool: me think it's time you changed your Avatar :D

Yep like that Dean, had a similar idea for mine but with natural light.

The green works really well, I'd be tempted to shift the Hue slider in PS and see what the other colours do for the image.

Spot on theme

Nice shot Dean - the large one works much better.

Can't say a lot more than that I'm afraid. The lighting works for me considering the effect you were after. Well done.

Ian.

Great stare picture with fantastic lighting effects not sure how you achieve such good results might get to your level one day well done.(y)

very clever, and an excellent take on theme... I'm also beginning to understand what the hell it is you're talking about when you start talking about the lighting...

Thanks for all the comments, peeps. Just got through the door after a lovely week away. I managed a shot for the theme whilst I was away so will hopefully have it processed tomorrow.

A bit late due to holiday fun, but here's my week 17 - peace - shot.

This was taken at Binham Priory in Norfolk. Clickable as always.

Love the thinking behind this one Dean. It's bang on theme, and spot on in terms of lighting and composition. Wish I wasn't looking at it on a dodgy laptop screen because it looks lovely and sharp!

Two very minor distractions for me:
- There's a "Pew-end" right next to your model's head on the left edge of the shot.
- The noticeboard is a minor distraction on the fiull size version. Don't notice it on this small .jpg.

These are tiny niggles though. All in all, bang on theme and a top shot!

Ian.

Love the thinking behind this one Dean. It's bang on theme, and spot on in terms of lighting and composition. Wish I wasn't looking at it on a dodgy laptop screen because it looks lovely and sharp!

Two very minor distractions for me:
- There's a "Pew-end" right next to your model's head on the left edge of the shot.
- The noticeboard is a minor distraction on the fiull size version. Don't notice it on this small .jpg.

These are tiny niggles though. All in all, bang on theme and a top shot!

Ian.

Thanks mate. Thought I'd go non-strobist for a change so peeps don't get bored!

I don't think the pew end is a problem as it's not exactly growing out of Ali's head. Yeah, I agree about the notice board though. Processed this at 6.30am this morn, so was a bit lazy. Might zap it later.

Another stunner Dean.
Beautiful natural lighting and great tones. It's almost got that sepia tinted feel to it, but in colour if you know what I mean.
I like the way that chandelier in the background leads your eye down the frame to where Ali is knelt and there is some gorgeous grain and texture in the wood.

Strange thing about the composition in this one . . . In the small version I really feel like Ali is too close to the edge of the frame and I want to see more space on the left - but the larger version feels perfectly balanced just as it is :thinking:

Regarding the other niggles.
I hadn't even noticed the notice board until Ian mentioned it . . . but now I've seen it, it does keep jumping out at me :bang:
I'm with you on the pew end though. I think it's fine as it is.

Thanks Sarah. Top notch crit as always.

Well spotted on the processing. I actually gave it a very subtle cross-process as I felt it fitted the shot pretty well. That notice board will defo go though!

Great idea Dean, my only concern is the carving on top of the end is quite large and imposing and seems to keep my focus.

It seems to have a weird perspective, possibly because of the arches in the background, not a problem though as it makes the picture more intriguing trying to figure out if its the building or my eyes, probably my eyes though as i've been behind a screen a lot of late. I love the detail in the foreground.

Great idea Dean, my only concern is the carving on top of the end is quite large and imposing and seems to keep my focus.

That's not by accident, mate. I wanted Ali to be almost something you have to look for in the shot rather than glaringly obvious. It was in doing this I wanted to give the impression she's being quiet and unobtrusive in her prayers.

It seems to have a weird perspective, possibly because of the arches in the background, not a problem though as it makes the picture more intriguing trying to figure out if its the building or my eyes, probably my eyes though as i've been behind a screen a lot of late. I love the detail in the foreground.

That'll probably be shooting with the UWA. :)

Weeek 18. Another really difficult week with my mum's 60th birthday to plan so I've had to cop out a little and use Briony's close theme.

This is what happens when you get too close with a 10-22mm lens!
Clickable.

Stunning shot Dean. Looks like you were indulging in a bit of boasting... What with the big head and all :)

Brilliant take on the theme, and a superb expression. Inspired use of the 10-20... What more can I say. I think it's ace :)

:clap:

Ian.

Thanks peeps. :D Might post an indulgent shot too if I get the chance.

And here's my little indulgence. A sunset shot I really wanted to get and one I felt indulged my love of my 10-22mm lens.

Clickable

Loving the indulgence theme beautiful lighting very serene and peaceful, I just love these types of shots.(y)

Close, these I find eerie in a strange sort of way but no way would I attempt one of these shot just might break the camera :LOL:

A great pair of shots Dean... the close has provided some weird distortion, and it's worked very well... interesting wrinkles you've managed to acquire ;)...

Lovely indulgence that...

I'm skipping indulgence as I haven't done mine yet....

Peace is lovely - excellent lighting and tones that really convey the atmosphere. As Sarah says the composition works much better in the larger size. :thinking: It is beautifully sharp and you have really captured the texture of those old oak pewsI won't mention the notice board.

(y)

The sunset is stunning.

Foreground interest, lines of the posts and shoreline leading you into the frame and superb detail in the sky. Ticks all the boxes (y)

Andy

(y) Two more great shots Dean.

Close : Fun, quirky and interesting.
The PP's worked well with the lens to give the finished product some good textures . . . strangely I'm finding the background almost as interesting as the min portrait.

Indulgence : A bit of a crowbar perhaps, but absolutely beautiful, stunning shot. Not a thing I'd want to change about it.

Dean,

Close is :clap::clap::clap::clap::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Can I be really cheeky and ask you to send me a bigger size (RAW???) file........ I have realyl got into this Dragan thing and that is a prime candidate!!!

Where did you get that sunset??????? It's great

Ooops - I'm way behind again, Dean. :)

Stare: That's an excellent shot. I love the lighting and the, well .... greeness of it. (y)

Peace: A lovely shot and the composition works well - and absolutely must be viewed large to get the impact of the carving on the post. I didn't notice the notice board either until I went to the large version. :)

Close: Excellent - made me smile and definitely works weel for your avatar. Strong composition again, Dean, and definitely good in b&w. (y)

Indulgence: An unusual sunset shot, both in composition and lighting. The wide angle lens also gives a different take on it. I like this - very much. :)

Jean

Back