Too many Cop Police TV shows

This could have been said anytime over the past few decades! I used to watch the odd 'cop show' but got so sick of them as they continued to mound up. Much prefer real crime docu's nowadays, if I'm channel hopping I insta-skip over all the usual Male lead/female side kick [or vice versa] detective series. They're all the same to me. There's the odd half decent one I'm sure but I'm not wasting my time checking a bunch out to sort the sheet from the shoite.

We have also been watching Mare of Eastown that was a bit different. I think I expected a bit more though.

It's the same with all genre of TV show if one has huge sucess them non stop clones.

Great British Bake Off
Great British Sewing Bee
Great British Pottery Throw down
All That Glitters
The Photogray one on Sky Arts

The all have the same format each week two "challenges" and the last person is out

Bring back Dixon of Dock Green - it was no more unrealistic than any of the current ones:)

Z-Cars!

This could have been said anytime over the past few decades! I used to watch the odd 'cop show' but got so sick of them as they continued to mound up. Much prefer real crime docu's nowadays, if I'm channel hopping I insta-skip over all the usual Male lead/female side kick [or vice versa] detective series. They're all the same to me. There's the odd half decent one I'm sure but I'm not wasting my time checking a bunch out to sort the sheet from the shoite.

I think producers of tv shows especially police detective series, try too hard and it not realistic. They always seem to have two detective of each sex, obviously to balance things, and the extra characters are always the same, just trying too hard.

I quite like Australian films, as they are just so different. Might search for one later. :)

Have you watched "Bosch" on Prime? Great series - 6 seasons. The other series I really like is Chicago PD, quite gritty in places.
I'd never heard of Bosch.
Watched a couple last night.
It's good....
Thanks for sharing.....got something new to watch now :cool:

Have you watched "Bosch" on Prime? Great series - 6 seasons. The other series I really like is Chicago PD, quite gritty in places.

I don't like American cop shows, don't really like any American TV to be honest. Although having said that, only American cop film worth watching, has to be dirty Harry.

Serpico was better. IMO!

The Wire is the best cop show you will find, hands down. Think you can watch it on Now TV.

I really dislike American cop tv shows, to be honest I don't watch anything American. Only American stuff I would ever watch, is the Dirty Harry stuff, or a good Spaghetti Western, and possibly the old B&W Si Fi films.

We watched the new TV cop series last night, Before We Die. Must admit, I found it a little boring, and same old stuff. I felt it was totally unrealistic and unbelievable.
I mean for example, the woman detective's partner, or bit on the side gets kidnapped off the street, and she goes to investigate.

She also finds a phone that the kidnapped victim dropped. Really, he dropped the phone on the street outside a shop in the morning, she then happens to find it many hours later. No when else spotted the phone then?

Hill Street Blues, what a great series that was, watched every episode when it was first screened.

Hill Street Blues, what a great series that was, watched every episode when it was first screened.

Something I have never watched, although I do recall the them tune. When the intro started, I switched the channel.

To be fair, I suppose I do have to admit, one of the best them tunes for a cop tv series, has to be police story. As to which version, that is debatable.

For something you don't really need to concentrate on, but is entertaining, you could have a look at Better Call Saul on Netflix. I didn't think i'd like it but actually really enjoyed it. It's currently 5 seasons (the 6th due to air next year).

It would be nice if the put some classy stuff on, something like Foyle's War. But it seems they want to try and compete with American stuff, and always try and have car chases and shoote em ups. :mad:

It would be nice if the put some classy stuff on, something like Foyle's War. But it seems they want to try and compete with American stuff, and always try and have car chases and shoote em ups. :mad:

Yes, a lot of shooting in the last series of Line of Duty.

Yes, a lot of shooting in the last series of Line of Duty.

Me and the missus did like line of duty, but all the car chases and shooting was rather silly, and put me and the missus off those episodes.

We don't have TV but I remember seeing some episodes of The Fall a few years ago. I quite enjoyed it, and I like Gillian Anderson.

I quite enjoyed it, and I like Gillian Anderson.
Who doesn't? (y)

And not forgetting Glynis Barber in Dempsey and Makepeace,
I seem to remember that Michael Brandon may have been in it too?
:D

Who doesn't? (y)

And not forgetting Glynis Barber in Dempsey and Makepeace,
I seem to remember that Michael Brandon may have been in it too?
:D

Shame that the rest of the production is so unwatchable that you can only see a moment or 2 of her!

Morse. A series I'd completely forgotten about, but watched donkey's years ago. The one with John Thaw, not the prequel or sequel.

Finished watching the short police series, Before We Die. Missus enjoyed it, but I thought it was silly and totally unbelievable.

We await the next short tv series, most probably another police related theme.

Morse. A series I'd completely forgotten about, but watched donkey's years ago. The one with John Thaw, not the prequel or sequel.

Actually Morse was pretty good, and the prequel, about him coming through the ranks in Oxford, was also a good watch. The hints to the Jaguar, and a couple of other things that came trough were well written in. Wasn't so impressed with the sequel though.

As has been said before just don't watch them. At least there's less of them than the seemingly non ending series of inane games shows that seem cropping up. I suppose that compared with just about anything else there're cheap to make.

I'd never heard of Bosch.
Watched a couple last night.
It's good....
Thanks for sharing.....got something new to watch now :cool:
Bosch is based on the series of books by Michael Connelly, which are generally very good. I've never seen the TV series (only have normal TV, and not really interested in paying another subscription) but I've got the first series on DVD which I'll watch during the next lockdown, probably.

As has been said before just don't watch them. At least there's less of them than the seemingly non ending series of inane games shows that seem cropping up. I suppose that compared with just about anything else there're cheap to make.

yes exactly those game shows are awful I’ve had to sit through them in the past while visiting family
at least the cop shows seem to be decent I can’t think of a bad one , line of duty was excellent

yes exactly those game shows are awful I’ve had to sit through them in the past while visiting family
at least the cop shows seem to be decent I can’t think of a bad one , line of duty was excellent

I do like a good police program, but I like anything that is good. Did really like line of duty, but in parts it became a little far fetched and not believable.

those game shows are awful I’ve had to sit through them in the past while visiting family
Its the reality show's the get me :(
Baking off while dancing on ice in the jungle or some such.
If I have people over the TV goes off, with one exception, my granddaughter gets to see the kids channel,
it stops her from re-modeling the house.

Its the reality show's the get me :(
Baking off while dancing on ice in the jungle or some such.
If I have people over the TV goes off, with one exception, my granddaughter gets to see the kids channel,
it stops her from re-modeling the house.

Why do they "get" you? It's the same as any other TV show, if you don't like it, don't watch it. I don't like Strictly or I'm a celebrity so I don't watch them but I know people who do watch and enjoy them. I watch bake off and masterchef because I enjoy cooking.

And ys, I don't have the tv on when people are over because that would just be plain rude.*

*Unless of course, there's a sporting event on that all parties are interested in.

Why do they "get" you?
To me it seems that that its a downward spiral., the programmers trying to find out exactly what people will put up with.
if you don't like it, don't watch it.
I don't watch them I watch very little TV TBH, And that was mainly because of the increasing number of reality programs at peak times,
but when I do, they insist on putting trailers in for these type's of programme.
The latest appears to be the masked dancer ... Masked Singer I can see the logic trying to decipher the voice ( if it is) of a well known singer.
If you are into that
But foot work ? Surely that is the bottom of the barrel? But no doubt I'll be proved wrong in the near future....

Last edited:
To me it seems that that its a downward spiral., the programmers trying to find out exactly what people will put up with.

surely if people are enjoying it, they're not just putting up with it.

I don't watch them I watch very little TV TBH, but when I do, they insist on putting trailers in for these type's of programme.
The latest appears to be the masked dancer ... Masked Singer I can see the logic trying to decipher the voice ( if it is) of a well known singer.
If you are into that
But foot work ? Surely that is the bottom of the barrel? But no doubt I'll be proved wrong in the near future....

I just had a look at the coming week's TV listings and yes, when II spotted The Masked Dancer, I did have a WTF moment but it quickly turned into "meh, if people want to watch it, why should I care".

At the end of the day, I have the shows I want to watch in the planner and I watch them whenever I want. If it's on a non BBC channel, I just press the button on the side of the remote and say "skip 4 minutes" whenever there's a commercial break.

remote.jpg

Back