Toothie's 52 - All the way to the end

I'm currently viewing this through my 3G connection so the images I see are a bit compressed, but I can see that it's a good shot. I would agree that a bit more of the egg needs to be in focus. If you had a purple plate and a different chocolate egg it would make a really good product shot. It's a good shot but I do prefer the one of Flickr with the top of the egg open.

I am wondering if we will actually see anything other than a Kinder Egg this week, and if we are going to keep to the eggs will we actually see the "surprise" part of the egg, or just the name ;)

Ah sod it - back to the drawing board with the surprise idea then :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I think I too would have liked it in focus a bit more too. But loving your whole set (y)

Yes it works very well...
Well done....nice surprise...chocolate...:LOL:

Nice composition, good shot. I agree a bit more depth of field would make it even better.:clap:

Like the idea and the composition - agree with others about the DOF but a fine effort (y)

Eggscellent, and agree with the others, the plate and spoon make it work really well, but a bit more DOF on the egg.

Great take on the theme and the blue plate really sets it off. Agree with the comments about DoF, but, like Kelly says, enjoying the whole set :clap::clap:

Ice/steam, hot/cold, solid/liquid

This week i have learnt:
1- I can't spin coins (long story as the guys in irc will testify)
2- Ice with food colouring does not have more definition
3- Ice take hours to freeze
4- B&W images need a lot of contrast
5- I really need to get my head round Photoshop
6- If you ask for help generally you will get it

A big thank you to Woodsy who helped me with photoshop this week :)

:clap: Very good Ruth very contrast B&W image. It fits the theme nicely, but it took me a moment to work out the steam. (y)

Surprised the glass didn't shatter :D

Great concept and a nice bit of B&W and some good lessons too :D

Pity the steam isn't a little bit more prominent but I have no idea how you could have worked that :(

Meets the theme and well shot :D!

(Is Black and White an opposite too :D)

Well you got a few opposites in there young lady...:clap:

As Dark Star said the steam part is not really working until you point it out, but how the hell do you get steam in a glass...:eek:

I love the lighting you got for this B&W....excellent...(y)

Ruth, this is excellent. I love contrasty b&w and this suits mono brilliantly. I can just picture you waiting at the door of the freezer tapping a foot, while the water froze for ice cubes. :D

I love the light coming in from the right and casting a shadow of the glass. It's very elegant, and I agree with the others, I don't know how you could have got the steam to be denser.

Learning points well made, and imo 'getting your head round Photoshop' is a lifelong commitment.

It sounds as though you are enjoying this challenge, too. :)

Jean

Thanks all

Tbh it was pot luck with the steam, i poured the water and pressed the shutter and prayed as i only have one ice tray my 2 attempts were 12 hours apart. The kettle didnt actually produce that much steam for me to use. Once its off the power source it stops boiling and steaming.

Great idea and I like the B&W treatment - as already said it would have been great to see the steam a little more but who knows how you would have managed that!

I havn't even attempted Photoshop - I'm sticking with my trusty Paint Shop Pro X2 - much simpler!

argh just thought how i could have made more steam - make the kitchen really cold, which wouldn't have been too difficult this week :bang:

Really great idea. You've composed this well, and I'm just generally impressed with your creativity. I would have liked to see a faster shutter speed for really crisp water, but that's only a minor niggle. Nice work.

I agree with the others, really nice effective shot. Dry ice to get the steam but where do you get that without getting in trouble for letting off the CO2 fire extinguisher? Well done. :clap:

Very clever, as Matt has said a faster shutter speed would have been nice and as Graulges suggests Dry Ice would make for good "steam" (although probably a bit difficult to get hold of). However, let's look at the positives the side lighting is really dramatic and picks up the lettering on the glass really well, the image is sharp and the B&W conversion spot on. I think you deserve a chufty badge for that (y)

P.S. Did you know you can buy ice in the supermarket - £1 for a 2kg bag

Great high contrast shot Ruth, although I thought it was water and ice until I read the explanation. I really like the lighting in this shot. Good capture (y)

Thanks for all the input so far, definitely helping to see how other people view your pictures.

Here is this weeks.

Having someone special in my life to hold hands with makes me very happy :)

Thanks to Martyn for helping me do this weeks, it wasn't as easy as it looks had real trouble with the lighting and then getting our hands looking natural.

Things i have learnt this week
1. You need a lot of light to get rid of shadows.
2. Not all photography projects can be done on your own.
3. Don't be to hasty to upload your pic.

Edit - while adding my sig (i forgot to change it from white last night) i also made the darks a bit darker as it looked a bit gray, as i am within the week and as its a learning point i am allowing this in my rules :)

Last edited:
:agree: a great shot, and a very clear interpretation of the theme for the week. It works really well (y)

Ruth that is a lovely shot and what great timing for Val's day tomorrow :)

Meets the brief really well and looks like a good learning experience too :D The bright white bcakground works really well too - how did you achieve that?

Ruth that is a lovely shot and what great timing for Val's day tomorrow :)

Meets the brief really well and looks like a good learning experience too :D The bright white bcakground works really well too - how did you achieve that?

Thanks John and with a lot of difficulty tbh.

ended up with my light tent behind us with the halgon work light in and flash from the front.

That's a lovely shot...
works really well for the subject and the lighting looks great...
Well done for this week...:clap:

Some very nice shots, I think i like the first one best, closely followed by the glass.

Brilliant image - subtle and very creative

Thanks one and all

Simon i really appreciate the comments on the lighting, its something i really need to improve.

It's really hard to make hands look natural and it must be a million times harder when one of them is yours. But when it does work I think it's a fabulous, symbolic image of the best in human relationships. This works on every count, Ruth. :clap::clap:

Totally perfect for Valentine's Day, too.

The background lighting is spot on and I love the composition - very strong.

If I'm being very, very picky I would have taken the bracelet off, or substitued a wider but plain bangle slightly further up your arm.

Hope you and Martyn are enjoying a romantic evening tonight. :)

Jean

thanks Jean, i preferred it with the bracelet but maybe your right a different one would have worked better :)

Back