TP 2011 Photos52 by Dubcat (Week 8 - Chaos - index in first post)

Name
Amir
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

This 52 will be nothing without the input of others. I would like to urge all readers to help me by providing critique and guidance that is honest. I have a thick skin and won't take constructive criticism in a negative way. In fact constructive criticism is a major reason for my taking part in this. I am looking for your feedback on all aspects of photography including composition, balance, colour as well as technical stuff like processing, aperture, sharpness and speed selection, etc.

Cheers,
Dubcat

Index of submissions

Week 1: Accomodation in post 3
Week 2: New in post 9
Week 3: Style in post 18
Week 4: Open in post 22
Week 5: Hard in post 28 (two photographs submitted)
Week 6: Clutter in post 35
Week 7: Delicate in post 41
Week 8: Chaos in post 47

Last edited:
Week 1: Accommodation

This week I am on a business trip to Las Vegas. Unfortunately this meant I did not have time to put something particularly creative together and so I captured a photograph of my hotel room at The Venetian. I had to take the picture with my point and shoot camera. Furthermore i had to process the picture on an iPad. All of this means the quality is less than i would normally hope to submit.

I have used an angled composition for two reasons. Firstly this helped me to get more of the room in. However, i believe this composition also draws the viewers eye from the bed to the lounge area of the room and introduces a sense of movement from the bedroom to the lounge in to the picture.

Last edited:
ERU said:
Works very well for me. You get a lovely sense of space. It also feel very clean.

Eru thanks very much for your feedback :)

Dubcat,

I like the quirky angle. Maybe you could have tried different lighting scenarios? :thinking: The bedside lamp that is on, is burnt out. It looks like there is shaded lamp in the far corner of the room, so maybe a photo with that light on and the bedside lamp turned off might have given the shot an alternative look. There seems to be a ceiling spot above the bed that would have kept the left hand side of the photo illuminated and then the far desk lamp might have given a soft illumination to the right hand side of the picture?

I agree with you about the composition and my only crit would be the uneven lighting that keeps dragging the eye back to the bed. Processing looks fine to me :)

Totally agree about the lighting. I should have turned on the lights on the right side of the room.

Week 2: New

The new season of goods are arriving in to UK stores and displacing last years items which are now on sale.

I had very little time for this weeks assignment as I did not return to the UK from Las Vegas until Friday. I then spent the next two days trying to work out if it was day or night. Still, I am quite happy with this capture. In this photograph I have shown I am in the UK and in the background you can see some new sale items along with the advert describing them as being from the new seasons collections. I specifically chose the aperture I used in order to blur the background but still leave it clear enough to comprehend. I then ramped up the ISO to give me a fast enough shutter speed to take this shot hand held. I could have cleaned up the noise further but I have run out of time to carry out further processing.

Please let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Good idea for the theme, but that white spot of fluff in the centre of the image really bugs me, and I'd have to clone it out.

I rather like the composition of this and the crispness of the flag demonstrates it's own new state together with the background is a lovely interpretation of the theme. Well done!

I hadn't noticed the fluff...but now :bang:

I like the dof and your exposure. The depth of colour and focus (y)

I so strongly agreed with the comment about the fluff that i removed it. I hope you like the new one better :) I cleaned a little of the noise too. Thanks for the great comments :)

Ah well I missed the fluff issue; nice shot, like the crisp flag. How do you get the nerve to take the shot in a shop. I've not plucked up the courage.

Ah well I missed the fluff issue; nice shot, like the crisp flag. How do you get the nerve to take the shot in a shop. I've not plucked up the courage.

I spotted loads of 'New Season' stuff and was so temted to snap away and play with the DOF to make the shot work and be interesting (just as this on is), but I too failed to pluck up the courage. It's the same when I was on the tube last week; I spotted two great shots of people in their own little worlds, but never had the courage to get the camera out!

Week 3: Style

The new Jaguar XJ, the epitome of style. Every element of this car oozes style from the shape of it's body to the smallest of design accents.

I found this weeks topic extremely challenging. I pulled this one out of the bag at the eleventh hour as the sun was setting on the last day of the week.

Last edited:
Lol no that ain't my car. I was driving home after spending 3 hours just wandering around my area trying to find something to shoot for this weeks topic and for my OCA course. It had just stopped raining and the sun was not far off from setting when I noticed a Jag dealership. I took the photo there.

Dub

Week 4: Open

In their less than eternal sleep, James and Mary Ann pushed with the memory of every last breath. With one final bone splintering effort they heaved as the seal upon their home opened. Upon this mortal coil they had returned.

Based on feedback from SamuelSlade007 and drodd I post processed the following versions.

Last edited:
good take on the theme, but not sure about the slight tilt to the 'tomb' ... have you tried it in B&W just to enhance the subject? (y)

H Sam, the tomb was tilted like that in real life. I had the camera horizontal. Do you think it might be worth correcting the tombs natural tilt? My original intention was to black and white but no matter how I processed it the tomb just seemed to mix in with the background. I will give it another shot when i get a chance as i think it may be the way to go if i can just get the processing right.
Thanks a lot for posting :)
Dub

Hiya Dubcat,

First of all my apologies for not seeing your project sooner. It has been a madhouse trying to keep up with everyone as there are so many of us taking part in this Photo52. But now that I will have you tagged, I won't miss your future posts.

So a quick catch up from me:

Week 1: I think you have captured the take on the theme very well considering you had to use your p&s to take this photo. What camera did you use, because it is quite a good quality picture. I think the angle you have used works well, but agree with the others about the lighting. That looks like some swish accommodation you were staying in.

Week 2: Another great take on the theme and a well composed image too. I especially love the contract in the flag, the colours are so vibrant and give a very New appeal to it. Also like the DOF to blur the background and I can just make out the 'New Season' although it makes me feel a bit fuzzy when I look at it. But a great shot :clap:

Week 3: Indeed the XJ is a very stylish car indeed, as is the Jag XF. Nice DOF you have there and the way you captured the raindrops adds to a nice touch to the image. Although I am concious of reflections, I think it doesn't deter too much in this image. How did you light this one? The silver looks slightly overexposed in places, but again doesn't detract from the image too much. Another brill photo.

Week 4: Once again a good interpretation of the theme. Even though the tomb has a natural tilt, I agree with above. I think what makes the tilt more prominent is due to the vertical lines in the background. Perhaps if you cropped the top of the image to just above the tomb lid and a very slight straighten would correct that. I would also suggest a bit of a boost on the contrast and sharpen. I enjoyed the read of the story you added to this, very well composed and fits the image well.

I have enjoyed looking through your photos for this project and look forward to watching your progress.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thanks for the suggestions Samuel and Dawn. I love getting feedback that helps me to improved. I have straightened the pic and posted it as an alternative view right next to the original week 4 posting. Let me know what you think :)

Hiya Dubcat,
Week 1: I think you have captured the take on the theme very well considering you had to use your p&s to take this photo. What camera did you use, because it is quite a good quality picture. I think the angle you have used works well, but agree with the others about the lighting. That looks like some swish accommodation you were staying in.

Thanks Dawn :) I used a Panasonic LX5. I am very happy with the quality of this camera and considering I edited the photo on an ipad with a relatively low res screen i feel it came out ok. Totally agree about the lighting. If I had turned on the lights in the other part of the room that would have maybe helped.

Week 2: Another great take on the theme and a well composed image too. I especially love the contract in the flag, the colours are so vibrant and give a very New appeal to it. Also like the DOF to blur the background and I can just make out the 'New Season' although it makes me feel a bit fuzzy when I look at it. But a great shot :clap:

Yes I think it might have worked better if i had used an aperture one stop smaller, enough to keep the wording out of focus but not enough to make you dizzy :)

Week 3: Indeed the XJ is a very stylish car indeed, as is the Jag XF. Nice DOF you have there and the way you captured the raindrops adds to a nice touch to the image. Although I am concious of reflections, I think it doesn't deter too much in this image. How did you light this one? The silver looks slightly overexposed in places, but again doesn't detract from the image too much. Another brill photo.

To be honest I was running out of time to get the shot in. I was driving past a Jag garage and shot this hand held outside the showroom. Overexposure is probably due to my very naff post processing capabilities /sigh.

Week 4: Once again a good interpretation of the theme. Even though the tomb has a natural tilt, I agree with above. I think what makes the tilt more prominent is due to the vertical lines in the background. Perhaps if you cropped the top of the image to just above the tomb lid and a very slight straighten would correct that. I would also suggest a bit of a boost on the contrast and sharpen. I enjoyed the read of the story you added to this, very well composed and fits the image well.

The photo was taken hand held in very dim conditions. The sky was complete overcast and there were trees forming a canopy overhead too. The lack of sharpness is mostly likely because I shot at f/2.8. I was abusing large aperture a lot that day lol. It was freezing and I was short of time so I snapped this one out - but I do hope to go back when the weather is better and do it more justice.

Really appreciate your feedback.

Hiya dubcat,

Yes, I think the crop and straighten is better, although it make the image look very tight now, I think if you got the opportunity to shoot this image again, it would be better to stand a few paces back, if possible, go get a bit more foreground in and perhaps a stronger DOF. That way you would also have more scope to play with in post processing, if you need to.

I think this is a great subject with much potential for processing, if you wanted create something artistic and creative. Just and idea, it would be interesting to see what this would look like if you tried to do an HDR shot.

The b&w conversion works too, but I think a very slight darken and/or applying a tiny bit of vignette could give it a more misterious appeal.

Well done and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Cheers

Week 5: Hard

Children, work and hobbies. It's hard to fit them all in. When time is short and sacrifices need to be made it is the hobbies that end up at the bottom of the pile.

I have been reading about analysing photographs and have been shocked at the hidden messages that the photographer often tries to convey. In this photograph I have stacked the literature that I read in my living room in order of priority. My kids come first. They are followed by my work. If there is any time left it goes to my hobbies. I wonder whether people would take that from the photograph without this explanation though.

Week 5: Hard - part two!

Feeding my twins is hard! When all else fails we resort to hard boiled eggs and their favourite tv programme.

This week I couldn't choose between the photographs above. Consequently I have submitted both! :) C&C appreciated.

Last edited:
For me the 2nd of the 2 is fantastic. Love how subtley the theme is included and the candid nature of the photograph. I could've told you they were watching TV with the focussed stare of the twin nearest the camera. I think the cuteness of the 2 of them also swayed my opinion somewhat! I'm also not a massive fan of "set up" photos so to me the 2nd shot wins hands down.

Hiya dubcat,

Congrats on producing two fab pics for this theme of HARD.

I like both photos equally because they show different aspects of the theme.

Wow your house looks really neat and tidy in the first image, considering you have twins running around :D The image is very warm and inviting and makes me want to sit by the fire and read the Five Ducks :LOL:, I think the CISSP book would be hard for me and but would be interested in the Photography file.

Also like the way you have incorporated many other aspects of 'hard' into this photo, ie., the hard back books and hard cover file all positioned on a hard table top. I like the DOF, especially with the fire in the background and the lighting. Top job (y)

The second image is great to, and your twins look so cute .... it almost looks like they are finding it hard to eat the hard boiled eggs, even though enjoying them. The b&w conversion looks good too.

Both very good images for this theme.

I look forward to seeing what you produce for week 6.

Cheers

Oooh I like them.
I prefer the first shot, tbh, but then I'm a bigger fan of still lifes then portraits...
To be honest, i thought the books were stacked like that for neatness (also, 2 out of the 3 looked a little hard for me!) and I echo the sentiment about the fireplace...
looks soo cozy and warm... all you need is a snifter of brandy and then, heaven!
can't wait to see the clutter

Mentalblock said:
I like the DOF in the second, but how mean to have one twin OOF !
I like the Jag picture too.

With 2 young children I bet many parts of your house are like mine and you'll have no shortage of things to photo for 'Clutter'!!

Haha yah it's always a dilemma with regards to whose turn it is to be oof, followed by major guilt pangs and special treats and extra hugs for the oof one lol. In this case though twin 2 had a brilliant expression that I had to capture. Also, I knew twin was preparing to throw her egg across the kitchen and I didn't fancy getting my camera anywhere near here :)

drodd said:
Hiya dubcat,

Also like the way you have incorporated many other aspects of 'hard' into this photo, ie., the hard back books and hard cover file all positioned on a hard table top. I like the DOF, especially with the fire in the background and the lighting. Top job (y)

So glad you spotted this! My original photo had paperback books on a cushion! Then I realised I was missing a trick. I put the cozy fire and soft oof flames in to the background to contrast with the hard table and books.

Week 6: Clutter

Decorative cushions cluttering up the bed.

I tried to capture something that was actually orderly, evenly spaced, and in its position on purpose - but which still caused a clutter (in my opinion at least).

Last edited:
Hey buddy, enjoying your thread, especially the pictures at the start.

My only critique with last weeks entry is that I don't 'get' the theme immediately from the image alone. I see where you're going with it in the explanation but not from the image. Sorry to put a downer on it.

Like I said though, enjoying the others. Keep it up.

David: Why not check out my Project52 attempt, or even my Flickr?

Hiya Dubcat,

I like your image ..... i.e., a clutter of cushions and agree with your thought process. Why do people clutter up the bed with cusions? Hey I hold my hands up to doing the same, perhaps it is because it makes the bed more comfy looking. Needless to say they always land up thrown on the floor and don't really serve any purpose. Which I think is what clutter is ..... things that are not really required or having a necessary purpose.

Cheers

Just when I thought I'd seen all the 52s another one pops up...:)

Few quick comments from me:

#1, "business trip to Las Vegas", get you...;) I'm not sure about the composition, feels a bit uncomfortable and it's a bit soft.
#2, now I like this one and you made a great decision to get in close. Great detail and for some reason I like that I can make out 'new season' on the book.
#3, "the epitome of style", totally agree. You've done well with the exposure but the rain (?) is a bit distracting
#4, I prefer the b&w but feel it's a bit close or the composition doesn't quite work
#5, thought is said 'crisp'. I can relate to the second one and I only have one young kid!
#6, as I slowly scrolled down I thought it was a hairy bum with shorts on...:wacky: Doesn't say clutter to me though.

So, #2 for me...

Cheers.

Hi dubcat,
Just seen your "hard" shots and definatly prefer the second image. I see hard concentration in the eyes. Wise choice to go mono, gives a harder feel all round. On your clutter shot I see what you see as clutter, but I don't see it cos in my house that would be order.
Nice well shot images throughout your 52, good work

Martin

Folks, i really appreciate all of the feedback! Thanks. It makes it all more worthwhile :)

Back