Trade Canvas Print - Our community, photos, offers & more

Hello

I have a question on laminating your canvases: I've seen other companies laminate their cheaper range of canvases, and use varnish on their archival ranges. Do you choose to laminate as you find it does the job and is good value - ie cheaper to apply than several layers of varnish? (and to be clear, I've no complaints if that is the case - I believe your range offers very good value) - or are their other reasons?

Thanks

Hello

I have a question on laminating your canvases: I've seen other companies laminate their cheaper range of canvases, and use varnish on their archival ranges. Do you choose to laminate as you find it does the job and is good value - ie cheaper to apply than several layers of varnish? (and to be clear, I've no complaints if that is the case - I believe your range offers very good value) - or are their other reasons?

Thanks

Hi, thanks for your question, laminate is without question the best form of protection and do not assume all laminates are the same, as they are not, they can be different thicknesses and some offer better protection than others. (We only use the very best on the market) I've not noticed companies using laminate on there cheaper ranges, if a company is producing a cheaper range normally there is no protection on the canvases however they will still be marketed as 'water resistant' etc as the inks do have some resistance to water but these canvases simply won't last, in fact most companies using laminates normally charge an extra fee I've seen £5 to laminate over no extra for varnish. There is a reason why varnished canvases cost more in general, it's simply the time it takes for the canvas to dry, then re-apply another coat.... Dry and so on until the desired varnish thickness or number of coats has been achieved. Drying time can be a few hours to 24 hours. The varnish is cheap to buy, and in most cases is even watered down for an easier application, the application can be done with a simple foam roller like a radiator roller and paint try, so the cost of roller, paint try and varnish is really next to nothing especially if diluted. (However again not all varnishes are the same, some are expensive and better quality) So summing it up the drying time slows production of the finished canvas and therefore the product/canvas costs more. So with laminate you can buy cheaper or buy quality also different size thicknesses (for better protection against UV, total water resistance, totally scratch proof etc) and roll sizes widths etc. these rolls can cost more than 30 times the cost of the liquid varnish, also application is done in a vacuum press, these presses vary on size etc plus a few different makes on the market with costs for small machines starting at around £3000 larger ones up to £6500, plus electric to heat and run them, so a huge difference in costs to the humble roller and paint tray. However this is where the laminate comes into its own..... From a raw print to a sealed canvas can take as little as 4 minutes, and you can fit multiple canvases in one press at a time so in 4 minutes you could have between 5 and 10 canvases ready to stretch up, we speed this process up further by having 2 of the larger vacuum presses so therefore getting more volume from our Laminate and allowing us to produce more canvases daily in a shorter turn round time and because the laminate is a film we can guarantee consistency over a varnish. So our main reasons for using laminate over varnish is speed, consistency and better protection. Our turn round on most orders is same day despatch or next day at worst so varnish is simply not an option for us.

I hope this helps and answers your question, please do ask further questions if you need more information and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Thanks Ben

Just a quick bit of information, we are experiencing email issues today, (We have a server issue) so we are not receiving or being able to send emails out. It should be sorted by later this afternoon. Also we are letting the 15% Discount continue in this weekend coming. So remember to enter TPF15 at checkout for the discount.... as a few of you have forgotten to enter your code.

Thanks Ben

I've placed an order, but it's to a BFPO address. I did send you a message via FB about prices so please let me know if there are any issues. Many thanks.

Morning Marsha,

Replied via e mail, shouldn't be a problem at all and will get posted out today : )

Also just to let everyone know the server issue with problems with emailing is now resolved.

Thanks Ben

Many thanks for that Ben, I haven't had an email yet though?

One question, how do I change my home address on your website? There's no access for accounts so it still comes up with my old address. I've added myself as a customer and got around it that way!

Maybe there needs to be an account edit/ view feature?

Many thanks for that Ben, I haven't had an email yet though?

One question, how do I change my home address on your website? There's no access for accounts so it still comes up with my old address. I've added myself as a customer and got around it that way!

Maybe there needs to be an account edit/ view feature?

Hi Marsha,

Sent the email at one minute past eight this morning... was only saying postage to BFPO wasn't a problem, maybe check spam. Yes totally agree with you regarding an account button, this is actually in progress behind the scenes along with some extra updates but as with everything website based it takes a while to get it right and to make it live.

Hi Marsha,

Sent the email at one minute past eight this morning... was only saying postage to BFPO wasn't a problem, maybe check spam. Yes totally agree with you regarding an account button, this is actually in progress behind the scenes along with some extra updates but as with everything website based it takes a while to get it right and to make it live.

Bizarre, I checked the spam mail folder this morning and nothing. Just checked it now and 20 emails that weren't junk suddenly arrived!

Ordered my 2nd Canvas print ever and though it would be rude not to use the 15% discount code above.
Came with in days and had a confirmed delivery email too!

Brilliant service Ben, thank you for the fast email reply's and help!

Hi All, thought I'd mention a few new things nothing ground breaking but well worth a mention, firstly we've changed our packaging slightly, in the light of all this bad wet weather we've had we have had a think and decided to add some extra protection to the white packaging/presentation boxes as they were getting rather dirty and in some cases wet/damp, so we now ship all canvases up to size 36" x 26" in the same white packaging/presentation boxes and added a water proof sealed bag over it. The shipping label is added to the bag so now the box arrives dry, in clean condition with no shipping label attached so can be passed direct to your clients straight out of the bag. See the photo below.

View attachment 8753

We are also currently trying out FedEx as a courier service, feedback has so far been good with a 100% next day delivery success so far! We've noticed a few print suppliers postage rates have increased (For example Loxely) and we have had notice of increases too however by shopping around we are confident of our postage rates remaining the same, although we are updating options to include a Royal Mail 1st class signed for option on prints and single canvas orders up to size 16" x 12" or 400mm x 300mm x 70mm which will cost in the region of £4.99.

On another note we have also introduced a new canvas side option of 'Mirrored Blur'. This is like the normal mirror border when we duplicate the last 2" of your photo and flip it around the edge of the frame (A very popular option) however on close up portraits you can have extra eyes, ears etc duplicated onto the edges which can look distracting so we have added a blur option on it. It means the colours continue around the edge to give continuity but with the blurred edging the duplicated parts are less noticeable and it has worked well when we've used it. See photos below.

View attachment 8755 View attachment 8756 View attachment 8757

As always any questions are welcomed.

Thanks Ben

Last edited:
Just placed another order! Got to say this is the best service for canvases on the interweb. And Ben is bonkers enough to reply to my emails at stupid-o-clock. Great service all round :woot:

I'm having trouble registering on the site. Did it yesterday. No confirmation email. Tried again - still nothing. Also sent an email, but no reply.

I'm having trouble registering on the site. Did it yesterday. No confirmation email. Tried again - still nothing. Also sent an email, but no reply.

Hi Patrick,

Sorry to hear of the problem with the confirmation email not getting to you, I did email you Friday about this, the email should of sent but hasn't for some reason.... however you actually do not need the email to be sent to you for you to be able to log back on..... so you will be able to go onto the site and log on.... I'll pass on the email not sending issue to Damon our tech guy tomorrow for you so he may be in touch with you. As Marsha above says we normally reply extremely quickly to issues however please do remember you may not get an email reply on a weekend as we are closed. (So you wouldn't have had a reply yesterday) I have had a look on the database and it does show you have registered twice so logging on should be fine.

Thanks Ben

Hi Patrick,

Sorry to hear of the problem with the confirmation email not getting to you, I did email you Friday about this, the email should of sent but hasn't for some reason.... however you actually do not need the email to be sent to you for you to be able to log back on..... so you will be able to go onto the site and log on.... I'll pass on the email not sending issue to Damon our tech guy tomorrow for you so he may be in touch with you. As Marsha above says we normally reply extremely quickly to issues however please do remember you may not get an email reply on a weekend as we are closed. (So you wouldn't have had a reply yesterday) I have had a look on the database and it does show you have registered twice so logging on should be fine.

Thanks Ben

Thanks Ben, just checked and my login is working fine now.

Hi All,

We've had a few orders from forum members over the Bank Holiday weekend and some forgot to apply the forum members permanent discount.

Remember at checkout to enter the code TPF10 for 10% off any orders you place with us : )

Thanks Ben

Hi Ben,
What are the current delivery charges for highlands and islands for canvas?

Hi Marie,

We're desperately trying to keep them at £7.95 but our lowest quotes from the various couriers (APC, FedEx, Parcel Force, DPD, interlink, TNT etc etc) is £12.95 however we can send up to a 16" x 12" canvas via Royal Mail for £5.50 but that is on single orders only and only to highlands and islands, where as the courier rates are per consignment so you can order as many as you like and any size.

Thanks Ben

Hi Ben, I've recommended some friends to shop from you, but your web site doesn't show the knew mirrored blur. Is that being updated?

Hi, thanks for recommending us, there are no examples of edges on our site simply type whatever edge type you'd like in the text/message box which is on the order page as you upload each image. However we are working on updates to show edge types to help the order process as well as a whole host of new updates.... Hope this helps,

Thanks Ben

A canvas-textured photographic print is an abomination. A sub-cultural delusion. A refusal to engage with reality. Something for misguided poseurs. Do you think it's harmless? Get real. It's about hollow effect. Nothing genuine in it.

Back