Tree at dawn

Edit My Images
No
When I posted a few photos taken during an early morning walk in Richmond Park a few weeks back I left this one out, but looking back at them I've grown to like this one more than the ones I ended up posting! :bonk:

Was trying to capture a simple, solitary tree photo. All opinions welcome! :)

p168321853-4.jpg

I like it. I think you've captured exactly what you wanted to. :D

What's it like with a very subtle vignette and a bit of extra contrast?

Hi James, just played with it in Curves very quickly and added a vignette (albeit way too much) but just to get an idea. Not sure about the vignette but I do think it does benefit from a bit more contrast. I will look at it properly and see if I can retain a bit more detail in the grass at the bottom.

p105334517-4.jpg

I really like this one, a bit of an eerie effect. I'd like to see a bit of cropping to make the tree more central but other than that I really like it :)

i agree but with decentralisation..:geek:
unless you mean central horizon in which case less sky would benefit the mood of the land

I think that shot is one where the rule of thirds would make a big improvement. If the tree was about one third in from the LHS then the sweep of the clouds would draw the eye nicely across the picture.
Apart from that the lighting and misty effect is nicely captured.

Wow! I love this :D I've been hoping to get one of those solitary tree shots for long enough but with no success.

The mist totally makes it! Really well captured. I quite like your edit too although it's maybe just a bit too dark.

p168321853-4.jpg

My initial reaction was...Argh, tree slap bang central.

But I like it, I think it really works.

D in W

p168321853-4.jpg

My initial reaction was...Argh, tree slap bang central.

But I like it, I think it really works.

D in W

:thinking:

yes sort of iconic as you might find on an advert...reminds me of vodka ad

Hi lovely shot :) but I have a question as im still learning.

why has this picture worked? there have been no negative comments, the tree is right in the middle of the frame, when ever I have done this intentionally I get shot down with people talking about the "rule of thirds" and how it being in the middle is poorly composed etc etc.

now is there a reason for this or is it just like art in the way you are a good know photography on here so no one questions it. compared to a noobie tog.
Like a well know painter who splashes some paint onto a canvas and its "art" if i did the same id get laughed at lol

Thanks (y)

Many thanks to everyone for their feedback and critique! It is really useful! :)

why has this picture worked? there have been no negative comments, the tree is right in the middle of the frame, when ever I have done this intentionally I get shot down with people talking about the "rule of thirds" and how it being in the middle is poorly composed etc etc.

Hi Liam, I don't think people should be shot down for not using the rule of thirds. Sometimes when I compose a shot I have it in mind...

p282269541-2.jpg

But I don't think people should be tied to it. I guess it's a matter of taste in the end and what you think might work for the photo that you want to take.

hi thanks for the reply, I also think you should not be shout down,
just trying to figure when I can use it

Hi lovely shot :) but I have a question as im still learning.

now is there a reason for this or is it just like art in the way you are a good know photography on here so no one questions it. compared to a noobie tog.
Like a well know painter who splashes some paint onto a canvas and its "art" if i did the same id get laughed at lol

Thanks (y)

the rule of thirds is a benchmark for compositions
when going outside this 'rule' you are using your eye and feelings to migrate the subject to a point where either symmetry is called for or a tension
any shot which follows the rule cant be wrong on compositional critique
one which doesnt and is succesful probably has that certain something to merit its composition
you will be able to tell when a shot not to 'thirds' is wrong..it will not hang right , read right, and feel to the viewer 'unbalanced'
its no use having elementary rules to help composition and being hide bound by them purely for their edification
the photo taker is the author and is bound by his own perceptions
the new person to photography may find rules are good guides until they develop a style which they can defend and is easily seen to be good...ON A SHOT TO SHOT BASIS..:)
i use thirds mostly, diagonals and reading left to right
that is fine structurally and then the onus falls on the actual subject matter of the shot and the correct use of light
when a shot is ready to show...do some trials just to see if it will stand going outside these rules...some do admirably...as we have seen
cheers
geof

Hi Geoff thank you very good advise :)
will just have to see how it goes i find that when i like it and think it works other people think it is rubbish lol.

Hi Geoff thank you very good advise :)
will just have to see how it goes i find that when i like it and think it works other people think it is rubbish lol.

its a fact..one mans shot is another mans sh-t

I know everyone bangs on about rule of thirds as though there is no other way. I do agree with it on many occassions but sometimes I think it's right to do something "different" no matter how abhorrent to some of the purists.

The more I look at this, the more I think you should crop it square and put the tree bang in the middle. It would still retain enough of the interest that exists in the sky as well as the ethereal look that the morning mist brings.

Back