Treeman's 52 Week 4 Street added

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Well thought I'd give this 52 lark a go, especially as the first weeks theme was nice and open. I had high plans for the Curves theme, as I had a model shoot lined up today, who was going to be my curve, but had to be postponed due to the snow. So, I thought I'd go from a soft human curve to a concrete one. :)

Curves52.jpg

D700 85mm 1.4

Last edited:
Great texture and the shallow depth of field really pulls you into the shot.

Nice!

Ian.

That's really interesting!
What is it? Part of a gravestone?

I love the contrast between the moss / algae stuff and the stone and the way that the light is hitting the inside of the carvings adds some great depth to it.

From a personal perspective the DOF is a bit too shallow for me. I'd prefer to see just a little more in focus, but that's really personal preference rather than anything else.

Great texture and the shallow depth of field really pulls you into the shot.

Thanks, I love shooting wide open.

What is it? Part of a gravestone?

It's actually the top ornate part of a horrible concrete wall

I love the contrast between the moss / algae stuff and the stone and the way that the light is hitting the inside of the carvings adds some great depth to it.

Glad you like it. It was the evening light on it that caught my eye, it's pretty ugly any other time of day.

From a personal perspective the DOF is a bit too shallow for me. I'd prefer to see just a little more in focus

I'm a big "wide open" fan, I think it's possibly a Marmite thing:) Point noted though, maybe next week I'll shoot at 1.8 :naughty:

A really good curve, and the textues of the moss are excellent. I'm going to agree with Sarah and say that a little more DOF, to probably take in the cut out bit would be more to my taste, but I can understand your point... it's a personal thing ;)

a little more DOF, to probably take in the cut out bit would be more to my taste

Looking at it again this morning I'm beginning to think you're right, especially in terms of getting some of the other curves in focus, for the theme.

I really like this! Nice DOF and clever take on the theme

Thanks ( I like the shallow DOF too, but don't tell the others) :)

I don't think it's work without the DOF either... It's a great shot, reminds me of a gravestone :)

Having seen the whole wall now I think it backs up my thought on the original image that it's a little too close for my liking. Not that I dislike it! I just wanted to see more :)

I agree with dlh, from the first image you can't really depict what it is, on the otherhand I do love the shallow DOF and the texture in the focused section :)

Having seen the whole wall now I think it backs up my thought on the original image that it's a little too close for my liking. Not that I dislike it! I just wanted to see more :)

I agree with dlh, from the first image you can't really depict what it is, on the otherhand I do love the shallow DOF and the texture in the focused section :)

Thanks guys (y)

I had high plans for the Curves theme, as I had a model shoot lined up today, who was going to be my curve, but had to be postponed due to the snow. So, I thought I'd go from a soft human curve to a concrete one. :)

ha ha... I had a similar idea... except I was to shy to ask anyone!!
(Make sure you do follow up on this "curves" project! :)

I like the close up perspective on your shot. For me it works better than the whole wall. I like seeing little details...

B&W version is nice, but prefer the original far more. The yellowy / greeny hues pull you right in.

Cheers, Rob

For some reason I struggled with this, and it's only week two! Just kept running out of time, so squeezed this out on Friday. I had the shot in my head but no poem to go with it, so took the shot any way and just kept googling. So here it is.

In the dark corner

The silent pipes leak

Sits a little girl 

She does not speak

A lost and lonely girl

Who sheds a single tear

Thinking she has not purpose in life

And everything to fear

Mom and dad don't really care

She doesn't value life

Never anyone there 

To help her with her strife 

Tripping over problems

All throughout the day

If only there was someone

To help her on her way

A single friend in life 

That really truly cares

But no one is found

At her fragile heart it tears

Pip_attic.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant Mark :clap::clap::clap:

Love the lighting and the lingering look on the models face. Super job!!

Cheers, Rob

I like this a lot too... though I am slightly scared by the expression on the girls face.

Oh, and why is it NSFW?

very nice shot, well composed and as already mentioned some excellent lighting control

Week 1 never would have guessed what it was, the moss really stands out. (y)

Week 2 fantastic shot, lovely lighting, great positioning of the model. Poem combines very well. :clap:

Week 1 - prefer the B&W conversion
Week 2 - Not a lot to say really - great shot

Brilliant Mark :clap::clap::clap:

Love the lighting and the lingering look on the models face. Super job!!

Cheers, Rob

A great shot there. the lighting is fantastic(y)

Thanks folks, glad you like it. This was the postponed shoot from the week before, where I was going to do something for curves.

I like this a lot too... though I am slightly scared by the expression on the girls face.

Oh, and why is it NSFW?

I think the expression is her natural disposition (lovely girl though :))

NSFW, Obviously I don't have issues with nudity, some people do. Thought I'd put it on there before someone else complains :)

very nice shot, well composed and as already mentioned some excellent lighting control

Thanks, first time out with the Elinchrom Quadra.

Week 1 never would have guessed what it was, the moss really stands out. (y)

Week 2 fantastic shot, lovely lighting, great positioning of the model. Poem combines very well. :clap:

Week 1 - prefer the B&W conversion
Week 2 - Not a lot to say really - great shot

Thanks Folks (y)

I think you've done a cracking job with the lighting.

Excellent stuff!

Ian.

Wow, the lighting you have got there has worked so well!
Really got the desired effect there!
Brilliant take on this weeks theme.
One little thing that I would have done would be to clone out the tattoo, my eye was drawn to much to it!

Stunning in EVERY WAY Mark. I love it! It has a very *real* feel to it and the words fit perfectly. Only one small thing I can see is that it may benefit from more vignetting to make your subject more isolated?

Tis indeedy the best poetry entry I have seen so far (y)

I think you've done a cracking job with the lighting.

Excellent stuff!

Ian.

Thanks Ian

Wow, the lighting you have got there has worked so well!
Really got the desired effect there!
Brilliant take on this weeks theme.
One little thing that I would have done would be to clone out the tattoo, my eye was drawn to much to it!

Was wondering about that too, I was going for a minimal PS approach :)

Stunning in EVERY WAY Mark. I love it! It has a very *real* feel to it and the words fit perfectly. Only one small thing I can see is that it may benefit from more vignetting to make your subject more isolated?

Tis indeedy the best poetry entry I have seen so far (y)

Thanks, praise indeed :) I deliberately left the top left corner to show the roof rafters to suggest she was in an attic, also the baskets too. Point taken though :)

Yep - point taken and I totally agree with your point about rafters and think that you are definitely right.
Nice one (y)

Well, here is a very desperate attempt at trying not to fail so early in my 52 year. This has been just such a busy week. My original plan was just to flunk it, and forget the whole thing, but had a last minute change of heart this morning. Probably wasn't worth it, given how rubbish this shot is, but time was short, and it was the best in the time I had.

So here it is week 3 "chopped". (though arguably it's "splitting" wood, not chopping) :)

chopped.jpg

Oooh, an action shot. Sod not liking it, that's awesome. Love it.

nice one Mark
excellent timing to catch the wood flying like that
take many attempts?

Cracking timing on that shot. Certainly nothing rubbish about it. Nice background, bits flying everywhere and imminent danger from incoming log debris. Very good (y)

Awesome action shot! Perfectly framed for motion.

Awesome Mark! (y)

Back