WAMT....what annoyed me today!

WAMT? Running out of gas. How did I manage that? The down side of bottles is all you know for sure is that one's empty. Unless you can pick them up (no chance!) there's no way of knowing how much is left in the other. I was obviously using more than I thought. Fortunately I'd just had dinner. Did have a bit of a panic till I remembered I still had an old electric kettle hidden at the back of a cupboard...............

I was also told if you tap down the side of the tank with a spanner or something, the tone changes when you get to the bit with LPG in it.
Never tried it, so I don't know how true that is.

I was also told if you tap down the side of the tank with a spanner or something, the tone changes when you get to the bit with LPG in it.
Never tried it, so I don't know how true that is.

That probably works once you've experimented a bit. The problem I have is remembering to unlock the shed, open it up and look at the lever that indicates if the first bottle's empty. Taking the doors off might be the answer, and a monthly reminder in my phone.

A bit of a faff but could the bottles live on bathroom scales? IIRC, bottles are marked with a tare (empty) weight so you should be able to get an idea as to how much is left in each one.

@Jannyfox

Jan

A few years back I was looking at buying a house that was on bottled gas and looked into the options......one was where the two tanks had an automated changeover valve but also a sophisticated one that monitored consumption and "phoned home" to the supplier when needed replenishing. But cannot find that info again, it was expensive as I recall!!!

But googling now I did find this device that by its description gives fair warning of "change me now". https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gas-Genie-Electronic-Bottle-Monitor/dp/B002O17DBC

A bit of a faff but could the bottles live on bathroom scales? IIRC, bottles are marked with a tare (empty) weight so you should be able to get an idea as to how much is left in each one.

I can just imagine the look on the gas fairy's face when I ask him to sit the bottles on scales............
And then find scales that aren't electronic..........

@Jannyfox

Jan

A few years back I was looking at buying a house that was on bottled gas and looked into the options......one was where the two tanks had an automated changeover valve but also a sophisticated one that monitored consumption and "phoned home" to the supplier when needed replenishing. But cannot find that info again, it was expensive as I recall!!!

But googling now I did find this device that by its description gives fair warning of "change me now". https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gas-Genie-Electronic-Bottle-Monitor/dp/B002O17DBC

Doesn't get great reviews, does it........
And reads like it only works when the gas is flowing (no, I'm an engineer and I don't understand how it works either) and I'm not usually wandering around the back of the house where the gas bottles are while I'm cooking dinner or running hot water.

I think a note to self in the phone to check the changeover valve indicator every month is the only solution. I thought a bottle lasted a year but I obviously overestimated, and over the 11 years........ bottle #2 must have run out soon after I replaced bottle #1 about this time last year. Must be drinking too much tea...............!
At least it's only the hob and hot water to the taps I'm without (once I found the electric kettle)

I can just imagine the look on the gas fairy's face when I ask him to sit the bottles on scales............
And then find scales that aren't electronic..........
Mechanical bathroom scales don't last long when stored in sheds/garages/outbuildings. I know this from several people, and from personal experience. Rust is insidious.
You'll run out of gas again, and the scale will still be reading 95kg. The gas fairy will remove the bottle, and the scale will still be reading 95kg...

Flat battery on the Honda, it's only been stood since Christmas. Not only that but the charger is saying it's fully charged, so no idea if it's actually charging properly or not! (There is arcing if you disconnect it so some current is flowing at least) :rolleyes:

They do it for 4 pack cylinders as well. 4 lots of the 47kg ones.

https://www.calor.co.uk/installer/installation-process/storage-options

Are they not the same as bottles?

It's just a changeover valve. All it tells you is that one bottle, or one pair of bottles in this case, is empty. If you forget to regularly unlock the store, open the doors and check, you don't see the bottle's empty so you leave it too late to replace it, as I've done. Hence I'm wondering now whether to take the doors off the store and chain the bottles to the wall instead. Either that or paint 'Check Me!' in big letters across the doors...............

paint 'Check Me!' in big letters across the doors...............

:D

Is it possible to stick a small Calor bottle on in case of emergencies?

:D

Is it possible to stick a small Calor bottle on in case of emergencies?

Funnily enough I have a small bottle in the garage, but it's butane not propane, for the gas BBQ I used to have.
Assuming the smaller one accepted the same regulator, in theory yes, apart from having to lift it onto something quite high and the right height for the bridle to reach. And you don't really want a gas bottle sitting around unused for maybe years till you do the same thing again. I think I might have learned my lesson this time. No guarantee of that of course............;)

I bet that you only ever run out when shops are shut and gas men don't deliver!

In case of emergency, how about one of THESE?

I bet that you only ever run out when shops are shut and gas men don't deliver!

In case of emergency, how about one of THESE?

We have one like that but different brand, as I recall won it in a raffle some years back......has come in useful during the thankfully very rare power cuts.

I use mine for cooking fish - open plan means that cooking it indoors stinks the place out.

Got a proper camping hob in the loft, gas bottle (probably also empty) in the garage. I should be able to get a delivery on Tuesday, but eating out tonight, with a friend tomorrow (both of which were planned before this), a roast in the oven planned for Monday - I'm sorted. It's just the washing in cold water, especially this morning when it was about -5 outside, but hey - I'm tough. I stopped panicking as soon as I found the old electric kettle, something I really would have had a problem buying at 2030 on a Friday night - got to get your priorities right :)

Shaving in cold water is no fun either #1stworldproblems :D

Glad to hear it Jan (y)

Easy answer to the shaving - JanuHairy!!!

Glad to hear here too.
(During the fortnight it took to have a kitchen fitted, we used it as an excuse to explore local eateries!)

Last edited:
Flat battery on the Honda, it's only been stood since Christmas. Not only that but the charger is saying it's fully charged, so no idea if it's actually charging properly or not! (There is arcing if you disconnect it so some current is flowing at least) :rolleyes:
Not a Civic mk8 by any chance?.

Cleaning somebody else p155 off toilet floor in a cafe, just so that the person using it directly after me didn't think it was actually me that was a dirty b******

:mad:

Cleaning somebody else p155 off toilet floor in a cafe, just so that the person using it directly after me didn't think it was actually me that was a dirty b******

You and me too, John. WTF is wrong with people.

Peeing all over the floor is akin to those who don't lift the seat and pee all over it.

I want to ask them, "Do you think you are going get some life threatening condition by raising a toilet seat?" I mean you are going to wash your hands afterwards, aren't you? Oh well perhaps you aren't.

Dave

I mean you are going to wash your hands afterwards, aren't you? Oh well perhaps you aren't.
It seems to be the increasing fashion NOT to wash your hands these days :(
The amount of people I see coming out of stalls, ( No I'm not a voyeur :p I'm having a leak) these days and going straight out the door!
And of course I'm going to wash my hands, but then have to touch the handle the same one that they just touched to get out of an inward opening door :(

You and me too, John. WTF is wrong with people.

Peeing all over the floor is akin to those who don't lift the seat and pee all over it.

I want to ask them, "Do you think you are going get some life threatening condition by raising a toilet seat?" I mean you are going to wash your hands afterwards, aren't you? Oh well perhaps you aren't.

Dave
u

Think yourself lucky it is just pee, I have come across far worse and a lot more times than you would imagine too.

The amount of people I see coming out of stalls, ( No I'm not a voyeur :p I'm having a leak) these days and going straight out the door!
And of course I'm going to wash my hands, but then have to touch the handle the same one that they just touched to get out of an inward opening door :(

The cursory splash that some think qualifies as washing their hands...they may as well not bother either.

My daughter carries hand sanitizer in her bag for this sort of situation...

Yes I see people doing that too dirty buggers

My daughter carries hand sanitizer in her bag for this sort of situation...
I can see why, but then taking it a bit further, if she needs to use it, because her hands are "dirty" she touches the bottle with dirty hands,
cleans her hands and touches the dirty bottle again, putting it back in her bag / pocket.

Its a bit of a never ending circle ...

I can see why, but then taking it a bit further, if she needs to use it, because her hands are "dirty" she touches the bottle with dirty hands,
cleans her hands and touches the dirty bottle again, putting it back in her bag / pocket.

The sanitiser on her hands will sanitise the bottle.

Impatient a******e of a DPD driver. I opened the window and told him I was on the way down. When I opened the door, he was driving off and had left an extremely heavy parcel on the doorstep, no way was I able to bring it inside! :mad:

Letterboxing drivers this morning. You know the ones - they scrape a few square inches of frost off their windscreens and head off hoping that they can see enough. Twunts.

A holes who refuse to drive at an adequate speed on a slip road that leads onto a dual carriageway. The biggest a hole was the last one. Having just left the M25, I slowed on the slip road for the roundabout at the end, nothing coming on the roundabout so carried on and taking my exit, accelerated down a lengthy slip road to see a car halfway down the slip road obviously not travelling fast enough ready to merge. So I held back watching gap after gap go passed on the road beside us and realising this particular a hole was actually slowing down. At the point where I stopped to give myself some room to accelerate before entering the dual carriageway, we were now down to 30mph the a hole had run out of slip road so pulled straight out into the dual carriageway in front of a Luton van travelling at around 50mph. How he managed not to rear end the a hole, I don't know, the a hole didn't even accelerate above 40mph once on the dual carriageway, as passed him a little a little way up the road after waiting to leave a short remaining length of slip road.

Hmm, my hairdresser is like that.
Hairdressers will talk about any old 5h1te, she was telling me how she'd got some jumpers to drop off at a charity shop because they were "used" ??
"Used" I said, yes she say's, the elbows are dirty ??
Apparently, she can't use a public toilet unless its an emergency, and in such cases she uses here elbows only to operate all handles, taps and locks in public conveniences, after which...her clothing is ruined.

I'm gonna start shaving my head, life is just too short for hair cuts.

Hmm, my hairdresser is like that.
Hairdressers will talk about any old 5h1te, she was telling me how she'd got some jumpers to drop off at a charity shop because they were "used" ??
"Used" I said, yes she say's, the elbows are dirty ??
Apparently, she can't use a public toilet unless its an emergency, and in such cases she uses here elbows only to operate all handles, taps and locks in public conveniences, after which...her clothing is ruined.

I'm gonna start shaving my head, life is just too short for hair cuts.

That sounds like an obsessive compulsive disorder.

Back