WAMT....what annoyed me today!

More than annoyed, totally p'd off and ready to kill my shift opposite. He really is a lazy P.O.S.
He was given 3 jobs to do yesterday afternoon. 2 of which would have taken 30 minutes in total, he didn't even do one of those properly. The other job was preparation for some maintenance / service work, he didn't bother doing that and as a result didn't bother informing the maintenance that is was ready to be done. His preparation work involved removing 8 bolts, 8 bolts he had replaced the day before because the heads were rounding off. But he had replaced the bolts with cap head screws. Because of the confined space, a cut down Allen key is required. So I have just had to rush around, cutting down an allen key and remove the bolts ready for the maintenance bloke, whilst also trying to carry out the work I was supposed to be doing this morning. The maintenance foreman and the fitter are a tad annoyed too, this work could have been done 2 days ago, but wasn't, all because my shift opposite is a lazy P.O.S.
Good job I don't get to see my shift opposite, we have a half hour gap between the shifts due to covid

Last edited:
Its not just the motorway.
On the A77 dual carriageway there's a 3 mile stretch which is a 50 zone, and at the end the inside lane continues left so cars don't need to stop.
There's a roundabout for cars going straight on or turning right.
Some cars going straight on or turning right think it's ok to sit in the outside lane for 3 miles and won't move to the inside. :mad:

I know this spot well and agree [emoji35]

Booked a “returned goods” collection today via Apple. So far I have had 4 emails within 2 hours, confirming collection, from UPS but each has a different collection number which if clicked on only offers to cancel! :mad:

Second time now I have bought things on this forum and left positive feedback for the seller. Asked them to reciprocate.
No response. They can't be arsed once they've got the money.

Second time now I have bought things on this forum and left positive feedback for the seller. Asked them to reciprocate.

From my experienced I'd say I've had to chase up one in five to get reciprocal feedback. Like you, it irritates me as well. :rolleyes:

I think it's the same as 'please' and 'thank you' - I hear those said less and less as the years go by.

No instruction manuals with things these days !!

Bought a new TV last week and ok si most of it was pretty straight forward except the ThinQ remote :rolleyes:
Finally think I have it sorted because I dropped it today and all sorts of things happened, but I now realise
it will control my Sky Bix and Blueray DVD player:)

The Deliveroo driver who felt that 20 MPH through a 20 MPH zone was too slow so decided to overtake a queue of cars who were conforming to the limit. At rush hour. Ended up at the next set of lights as the car right behind him.

Today we collected our almost new car from a main dealership .It was delivered in July when they registered it and it stayed with them so we've got just short of a 3 year warranty. We'd taken it out for a decent run and with a 2.0 L engine it pulled very well on acceleration. Auto transmission too. I've heard of seat heating ,which it has but it also has windscreen heating which I've never heard of. One aspect I thought was great. Lock the car and the exterior mirrors automatically close up to the door. Brilliant. All in all, very happy,however,I can honestly say that apart from being a bit annoyed at the point of sale I was also taken aback. After the test run we sorted out the paperwork. The first question was how do we pay ? Cash or finance ? We didn't want finance. "Oh, why not ?" We don't want monthly payments going on" "You don't need to, just pay the first few months and then pay off the balance " I wondered what the point of that was and thought..commission. I think they get good commission on a finance deal. Then he said that the FCA oblige them to inform us of GAP insurance and 'these other options' "FCA.. the Financial Conduct Authority ??".."Yes". I thought that can't be right. It isn't. I'm aware of what GAP insurance is but allowed him to explain it. I thought I'd solve that problem,rather than saying no again ,by asking for a sample policy so I can read the T&Cs at home. That took him aback but he said yes. We did get that in amongst the pile of paperwork we were given. Next came the add-ons. He went through them...listed below... We said no to all of them. When we got all the paperwork at the end of the process and I went through it at home I saw that these add-ons were listed so I can reproduce them now. They were listed along with some words of encouragement to buy.

GAP Insurance Did we have insurance that would bridge the gap between a pay out in the event of a write-off and the price we paid or outstanding finance [had we taken it]

Paintwork protection- Is the condition and resale of the vehicle important to you ?

Alloy wheel insurance: Do you have any insurance that would pay for their repair if damaged ?

Cosmetic repair insurance: Do you have any insurance that would pay for cosmetic bodywork damage separate to your comprehensive insurance policy ?
There are 8 reasons why the insurance company won't pay out. I won't list all 8 but here's a couple. Damage to horizontal flat surfaces To paint colours that cannot be suitably matched. To any body panel or part of a panel that has been distorted,ripped,torn or perforated. (I assume the last three conditions apply to the interior)

Tyre Insurance: Do you have insurance cover that would specifically pay for tyre replacement or repair in the event of sudden deflation or puncture. We get ours tyres from a tyre centre we've been going to for years and they cost about £50 .. a very good price compared to the likes of Kwikfit or, perish the thought, the main dealer. On a couple of occasions I've been told that a replacement wasn't necessary and to return in 6 months. We have total trust in that company.

They also wanted to put some kind of protection spray on the upholstery which we declined. So...he said he'd go and speak with his manager. I saw him sitting in the office in deep conversation with the manager. He returned and said they'd give us a couple of the options free if we took out the GAP insurance. They clearly wanted us to have GAP insurance. I assume the commission on that is very good. I've discovered it can be bought online for as little as £60. I don't have the figure now but I'm sure I saw £350 on a piece of paper along with the cost of the other options.

Moneysaving Expert article:

We tested it out and contacted 10 dealers for a gap insurance quote for a car worth £10,000. Only three of the dealers were prepared to give us a quote and the ones we got were all more expensive than what were available online.

For example, the cheapest quotes we've got from a dealer for one year and three years' worth of cover were £325 and £375 respectively. When we searched online we've got the same cover for £54 and £120 respectively.

So, how much did all these add-ons amount to ? A staggering £1735.:eek:

Good job we declined the bodywork waxing because we got a very nice zip bag with several Auto Glym products inside and soft dusters.Maybe we'd have got them anyway. They're £20 each so quite a good gift.

Today we collected our almost new car from a main dealership .It was delivered in July when they registered it and it stayed with them so we've got just short of a 3 year warranty. We'd taken it out for a decent run and with a 2.0 L engine it pulled very well on acceleration. Auto transmission too. I've heard of seat heating ,which it has but it also has windscreen heating which I've never heard of. One aspect I thought was great. Lock the car and the exterior mirrors automatically close up to the door. Brilliant. All in all, very happy,however,I can honestly say that apart from being a bit annoyed at the point of sale I was also taken aback. After the test run we sorted out the paperwork. The first question was how do we pay ? Cash or finance ? We didn't want finance. "Oh, why not ?" We don't want monthly payments going on" "You don't need to, just pay the first few months and then pay off the balance " I wondered what the point of that was and thought..commission. I think they get good commission on a finance deal. Then he said that the FCA oblige them to inform us of GAP insurance and 'these other options' "FCA.. the Financial Conduct Authority ??".."Yes". I thought that can't be right. It isn't. I'm aware of what GAP insurance is but allowed him to explain it. I thought I'd solve that problem,rather than saying no again ,by asking for a sample policy so I can read the T&Cs at home. That took him aback but he said yes. We did get that in amongst the pile of paperwork we were given. Next came the add-ons. He went through them...listed below... We said no to all of them. When we got all the paperwork at the end of the process and I went through it at home I saw that these add-ons were listed so I can reproduce them now. They were listed along with some words of encouragement to buy.

GAP Insurance Did we have insurance that would bridge the gap between a pay out in the event of a write-off and the price we paid or outstanding finance [had we taken it]

Paintwork protection- Is the condition and resale of the vehicle important to you ?

Alloy wheel insurance: Do you have any insurance that would pay for their repair if damaged ?

Cosmetic repair insurance: Do you have any insurance that would pay for cosmetic bodywork damage separate to your comprehensive insurance policy ?
There are 8 reasons why the insurance company won't pay out. I won't list all 8 but here's a couple. Damage to horizontal flat surfaces To paint colours that cannot be suitably matched. To any body panel or part of a panel that has been distorted,ripped,torn or perforated. (I assume the last three conditions apply to the interior)

Tyre Insurance: Do you have insurance cover that would specifically pay for tyre replacement or repair in the event of sudden deflation or puncture. We get ours tyres from a tyre centre we've been going to for years and they cost about £50 .. a very good price compared to the likes of Kwikfit or, perish the thought, the main dealer. On a couple of occasions I've been told that a replacement wasn't necessary and to return in 6 months. We have total trust in that company.

They also wanted to put some kind of protection spray on the upholstery which we declined. So...he said he'd go and speak with his manager. I saw him sitting in the office in deep conversation with the manager. He returned and said they'd give us a couple of the options free if we took out the GAP insurance. They clearly wanted us to have GAP insurance. I assume the commission on that is very good. I've discovered it can be bought online for as little as £60. I don't have the figure now but I'm sure I saw £350 on a piece of paper along with the cost of the other options.

Moneysaving Expert article:

We tested it out and contacted 10 dealers for a gap insurance quote for a car worth £10,000. Only three of the dealers were prepared to give us a quote and the ones we got were all more expensive than what were available online.

For example, the cheapest quotes we've got from a dealer for one year and three years' worth of cover were £325 and £375 respectively. When we searched online we've got the same cover for £54 and £120 respectively.

So, how much did all these add-ons amount to ? A staggering £1735.:eek:

Good job we declined the bodywork waxing because we got a very nice zip bag with several Auto Glym products inside and soft dusters.Maybe we'd have got them anyway. They're £20 each so quite a good gift.
Heated windscreens have been around for about 40yrs, Ford owned the patent on that, but is now available to all manufacturers. It would have been the 1980's since I last had a car without one.
Every car I have had since the late 90's has had heated seats. Never used them. Heated seats weren't an option on the style of seats in my current car, so not bothered that it doesn't have them.
I took out my own GAP insurance with my current car, not all GAP insurance policy terms are the same, I went for the full return to sale price, 3yr insurance, mainly so that if my car was stolen or written off within the first few years, I could buy another new one. As the car is no longer in production, I have no intention of replacing it with a 2nd hand one, if the worst should happen.
Wheel insurance is relatively cheap, probably the cost of having one wheel refurbished, definitely worth it if heavily damaged from a pothole and requires replacement. I wish I had taken out the wheel insurance, had a few unfortunate scrapes on an uneven cracked tarmac road surface. Thankfully nothing that requires a wheel replacement as they cost £450 - £600 each depending if there is an offer on.
As far as finance is concerned, generally there can be better deals if you take the finance option. The dealer and salesman will likely get a bonus for you taking out the finance, but you can settle it at anytime without penalty. Settle it before the first payment is due and it shouldn't incur any interest.

I would assume that in terms of current climate, sales will be pushing every extra they have available to make up for the lack of people buying cars at the moment.

Enjoy your new car by the way. :)

A friend sent me this 2007 article. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2007/mar/10/motorinsurance.insurance

In 2019 the FCA were still in battle over it. (below copy/paste article). It's a very long article so I just copied the start of it.

By the way. Unbelievably, my wife was told by the salesman..after he asked her yet again if we wanted GAP insurance.. that we have to sign a form to say that he 'complied with the FCA ruling' (the one that doesn't exist) and brought our attention to GAP insurance and that we had declined it.His printer didn't work so he's putting it in the post. Talk about digging a hole for yourself. I'm livid. I understand they want to earn commision but the chap lied to us. We've already spoken to a lady at the FCA who wants us to call her again saying it's exactly the kind of feedback they want. We'll see if that form arrives and then call again as she requested whether it comes or not. I will not tolerate this kind of deception.

Re that 2007 Guardian article above( link) Not much has changed since the FCA was called the FSA until 2013.

From a 2019 article ....'Suppliers in the insurance add-ons industry have to be resilient to keep trading. The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) is baring teeth, with total fines up threefold in 2018/19.

Financial penalties rocketed from £69.9 million to £227.3m year-on-year.

During the year, the FCA evaluated the impact of its changes to the way that dealers can sell guaranteed asset protection (GAP) insurance and found “our intervention had a positive impact on the market”.
The FCA said the intervention’s significant impact was in benefiting consumers who most do not want GAP insurance as an add-on, as GAP add-on sales have dropped by 16-23%.

However, its review of general insurance earlier this year showed it remains concerned about the value of GAP insurance and small, medium area repair technology (SMART) insurance (described by the FCA as ‘scratch and dent’) for consumers and high, or potentially excessive, levels of earnings for dealers.

It found on average 71% of the net premium in a GAP sale and 54% of the new premium of a SMART insurance sale went to the dealership that sold it.

Heated windscreens have been around for about 40yrs, Ford owned the patent on that, but is now available to all manufacturers. It would have been the 1980's since I last had a car without one.
Every car I have had since the late 90's has had heated seats. Never used them. Heated seats weren't an option on the style of seats in my current car, so not bothered that it doesn't have them.
I took out my own GAP insurance with my current car, not all GAP insurance policy terms are the same, I went for the full return to sale price, 3yr insurance, mainly so that if my car was stolen or written off within the first few years, I could buy another new one. As the car is no longer in production, I have no intention of replacing it with a 2nd hand one, if the worst should happen.
Wheel insurance is relatively cheap, probably the cost of having one wheel refurbished, definitely worth it if heavily damaged from a pothole and requires replacement. I wish I had taken out the wheel insurance, had a few unfortunate scrapes on an uneven cracked tarmac road surface. Thankfully nothing that requires a wheel replacement as they cost £450 - £600 each depending if there is an offer on.
As far as finance is concerned, generally there can be better deals if you take the finance option. The dealer and salesman will likely get a bonus for you taking out the finance, but you can settle it at anytime without penalty. Settle it before the first payment is due and it shouldn't incur any interest.

I would assume that in terms of current climate, sales will be pushing every extra they have available to make up for the lack of people buying cars at the moment.

Enjoy your new car by the way. :)

So, heated windscreens have been around for 40 years ? You'd think I'd have heard of them then :rolleyes: I've only ever had a heater blower on whilst I shivered in the car on a frosty morning...lol. I was aware of heated seats but this is the first experience of a car with a heated windscreen. I can see the orange heater wires in the rear window/screen but not the front so I'll Google to see how that works.

A few years ago we were (kindly) taken out for a meal in Cornwall by the people who own the cottages we stay in and the lady has a Range Rover with white leather heated seats. At first,being unaware they were heated, I wondered if I'd had a bladder accident...lol.

Re the insurances. I did read that gap insurance can be useful and you've pointed out the benefits of the wheel insurance. I read this article.

GAP insurance is probably not suitable if…
GAP insurance only pays out if your normal car insurance company says the car is written off (total loss) or unrecoverable.

Your car is less than 12 months old and you’re the first registered owner
Most fully comprehensive car insurance policies offer brand new car replacement during the first 12 months of ownership.

However, be careful to read the terms and conditions of your policy for any restrictions or exclusions.

Some policies will not offer new-for-old where the car:

• has been stolen, or
  • is subject to an accident where the insured is at fault.

That's true re the current economic climate, probably why we got a good deal along with end of month numbers maybe.. Thing is, as highlighted in my first post, these insurance policies can be bought for much less in the open market, as you've mentioned. As the GAP insurance was £350 then that left £1385 to cover the other options I listed so they must have been expensive. He had an A4 with the costs but as we didn't take up any of them he's obviously binned it.

Re finance. I did hear it's possible to get a better deal if finance is taken up rather than pay cash but we'd been out for a test run and whilst doing that they'd looked over my wife's car and when we returned we said we'd buy the new one and he gave us a price for my wife's car which we happily accepted. A very fair price. Only then did he ask how we'd pay. There was no haggling which we don't like anyway. We want to own the car now rather than have a hire purchase company own it until we've paid. Also, there would be filling out application forms, credit checks, no doubt a charge for ending the agreement. Too much hassle,really.

Regarding my latest post. We intend to keep this car until just before the warranty runs out but after this experience I'm minded to say to a salesman that we accept your offer for our car and we'll pay you cash right now. To save your time we don't want GAP insurance nor any other add on. OR..maybe let him give us the same baloney re the FCA. I recall when we bought my wife's car we had the same. We declined those add-ons offered by the 'financial manager' we were handed on to by the salesman. We were about to leave and needed to know how to switch something on and had to go back in and ask the saleman who came to the car and showed us and just walked away..in a hough. He'd been pleasant until then.I actually feel quite atagonistic to them so it remains to be seen what happens in round two in mid-2023.

This morning a forum friend of my wife's was telling the others that yesterday she and her husband asked a salesman for a new Audi A1 in a particular colour. The saleman had it brought to the dealership as he didn't have one in that colour. The test drive wasn't a comfortable ride so the lady said they wouldn't be buying that model to which the salesman replied. "What do you want..colour or comfort ?". She won't be going back to that dealership.

Thanks. I know we'll enjoy using it. Next decent trip..hopefully re Covid.. is a week in the holiday cottage in Cornwall next month that we regularly go to .The radio is DAB so this time I'm looking forward to listening to it without losing the signal as we enter Devon on the M5 which always happens.We live near supermarkets so we've decided to use my trusty old 1.5 Prius to do the short journeys so we haven't been out in the new one yet..lol. The Prius runs on the hybrid Synergy battery up to 28mp at which point the petrol engine kicks in. Btw..the new one is petrol too. I saw there were loads of diesels for sale when we were looking. With the Prius I wish it had been 30mph before the petrol engine kicked in because I can't be doing 27/28 mph (in a 30) holding up other motorists. So, up to now we've just looked at the new one on the drive, sat in it with the manual getting used to what is called the information and infotainment...lol..screen. Infotainment ?? Is that a proper word ??? :)

So, heated windscreens have been around for 40 years ? You'd think I'd have heard of them then :rolleyes: I've only ever had a heater blower on whilst I shivered in the car on a frosty morning...lol. I was aware of heated seats but this is the first experience of a car with a heated windscreen. I can see the orange heater wires in the rear window/screen but not the front so I'll Google to see how that works.

A few years ago we were (kindly) taken out for a meal in Cornwall by the people who own the cottages we stay in and the lady has a Range Rover with white leather heated seats. At first,being unaware they were heated, I wondered if I'd had a bladder accident...lol.

Re the insurances. I did read that gap insurance can be useful and you've pointed out the benefits of the wheel insurance. I read this article.

GAP insurance is probably not suitable if…
GAP insurance only pays out if your normal car insurance company says the car is written off (total loss) or unrecoverable.

Your car is less than 12 months old and you’re the first registered owner
Most fully comprehensive car insurance policies offer brand new car replacement during the first 12 months of ownership.

However, be careful to read the terms and conditions of your policy for any restrictions or exclusions.

Some policies will not offer new-for-old where the car:

• has been stolen, or
  • is subject to an accident where the insured is at fault.

That's true re the current economic climate, probably why we got a good deal along with end of month numbers maybe.. Thing is, as highlighted in my first post, these insurance policies can be bought for much less in the open market, as you've mentioned. As the GAP insurance was £350 then that left £1385 to cover the other options I listed so they must have been expensive. He had an A4 with the costs but as we didn't take up any of them he's obviously binned it.

Re finance. I did hear it's possible to get a better deal if finance is taken up rather than pay cash but we'd been out for a test run and whilst doing that they'd looked over my wife's car and when we returned we said we'd buy the new one and he gave us a price for my wife's car which we happily accepted. A very fair price. Only then did he ask how we'd pay. There was no haggling which we don't like anyway. We want to own the car now rather than have a hire purchase company own it until we've paid. Also, there would be filling out application forms, credit checks, no doubt a charge for ending the agreement. Too much hassle,really.

Regarding my latest post. We intend to keep this car until just before the warranty runs out but after this experience I'm minded to say to a salesman that we accept your offer for our car and we'll pay you cash right now. To save your time we don't want GAP insurance nor any other add on. OR..maybe let him give us the same baloney re the FCA. I recall when we bought my wife's car we had the same. We declined those add-ons offered by the 'financial manager' we were handed on to by the salesman. We were about to leave and needed to know how to switch something on and had to go back in and ask the saleman who came to the car and showed us and just walked away..in a hough. He'd been pleasant until then.I actually feel quite atagonistic to them so it remains to be seen what happens in round two in mid-2023.

This morning a forum friend of my wife's was telling the others that yesterday she and her husband asked a salesman for a new Audi A1 in a particular colour. The saleman had it brought to the dealership as he didn't have one in that colour. The test drive wasn't a comfortable ride so the lady said they wouldn't be buying that model to which the salesman replied. "What do you want..colour or comfort ?". She won't be going back to that dealership.

Thanks. I know we'll enjoy using it. Next decent trip..hopefully re Covid.. is a week in the holiday cottage in Cornwall next month that we regularly go to .The radio is DAB so this time I'm looking forward to listening to it without losing the signal as we enter Devon on the M5 which always happens.We live near supermarkets so we've decided to use my trusty old 1.5 Prius to do the short journeys so we haven't been out in the new one yet..lol. The Prius runs on the hybrid Synergy battery up to 28mp at which point the petrol engine kicks in. Btw..the new one is petrol too. I saw there were loads of diesels for sale when we were looking. With the Prius I wish it had been 30mph before the petrol engine kicked in because I can't be doing 27/28 mph (in a 30) holding up other motorists. So, up to now we've just looked at the new one on the drive, sat in it with the manual getting used to what is called the information and infotainment...lol..screen. Infotainment ?? Is that a proper word ??? :)
Ford heated front screens are very fine wires that are between the 2 pieces of glass. Not sure if other car manufacturers are the same. Some people complain about them as they say they find them distracting, but I think it is just a case of looking through the screen and focus on the road ahead rather than the windscreen, just like you would when you want to take a photo through a wire fence. You may even find the front and rear screens will automatically switch on below a certain temperature. On Ford cars, this is 4°C and lower. The first time I encountered this was a 2007 Mondeo, I thought I was losing my mind and thought I had forgotten I had switched them on and saw the switches were lit up when I went to press them. :)

Car dealer experiences do tend to differ, sometimes it is the dealership pushing their sales team to push stuff, whilst others will mention the extras and their virtues, but not come across as pushy.
Some just appear to have a dodgy second hand dealer sales approach and I hate the whole having to consult the sales manager approach during the haggling.
A few years ago there was a series of programmes on TV based in a local 2and hand car lot. It was around the time my eldest son was looking for his first car and this particular place had quite a lot of stock with several suitable cars. Their sales technique shown on TV was cringeworthy, I refused to even bother going to look at the cars they had on their website. Surprisingly they are still in business ten or more years later, but I wouldn't have thought the TV programs would have done them many favours.

Fireworks..very loud too . Seems they're for Halloween. At least no trick or treat. So, Covid-19 has put paid to that.

Fireworks..very loud too . Seems they're for Halloween. At least no trick or treat. So, Covid-19 has put paid to that.
We have none here so far, luckily I seem to have cured my dog of her firework terror — we had a few on Thursday and all she did was woof each time. They are going off in some part of Sheffield though.

We have none here so far, luckily I seem to have cured my dog of her firework terror — we had a few on Thursday and all she did was woof each time. They are going off in some part of Sheffield though.

My wife and I were in the kitchen when one of the very loud ones went off very close by and we both jumped. I just don't think they should be allowed other than at an official event away from houses. There are peoples' dogs (as you mention,Richard),cats, wildlife, babies, the elderly, the timid. There are fireworks that dont' have explosive content..just the visual. At least they'd be an improvement on what we currently have. Not long to the next event on November 5th. That's a Thursday so we'll get them on Thursday,Friday and probably the Saturday and people who like them will see it as a distraction and a cheer-us-up from the lockdown.

This article was only from last year https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/04/half-million-people-sign-petition-ban-fireworks-11037754/

I expect Covid and Brexit has pushed it down the agenda but I assume it will have to be debated sometime as the petition exceeded the 100,000 threshold.

(Off to watch Spitting Image :) )

Last edited:
My wife and I were in the kitchen when one of the very loud ones went off very close by and we both jumped. I just don't think they should be allowed other than at an official event away from houses. There are peoples' dogs (as you mention,Richard),cats, wildlife, babies, the elderly, the timid. There are fireworks that dont' have explosive content..just the visual. At least they'd be an improvement on what we currently have. Not long to the next event on November 5th. That's a Thursday so we'll get them on Thursday,Friday and probably the Saturday and people who like them will see it as a distraction and a cheer-us-up from the lockdown.

This article was only from last year https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/04/half-million-people-sign-petition-ban-fireworks-11037754/

I expect Covid and Brexit has pushed it down the agenda but I assume it will have to be debated sometime as the petition exceeded the 100,000 threshold.

(Off to watch Spitting Image :) )
In my case it’s the fumes as the sulphur content gets me. Leeds is particularly bad at holding the smoke of fireworks -- I made the mistake of driving through on November 5th years ago and nearly didn’t survive :(.

We have had three solid hours of them both last night and tonight, and we are on the edge of a middle-sized town...

In my case it’s the fumes as the sulphur content gets me. Leeds is particularly bad at holding the smoke of fireworks -- I made the mistake of driving through on November 5th years ago and nearly didn’t survive :(.

The smoke/fumes can be bad..I'd forgotten about them. Bad for asthmatics. I see from the link I nattached re the petition they are not wanting them banned for No.5th,Christmas and Dawali. Fine but just do without the 'bang'.

We have had three solid hours of them both last night and tonight, and we are on the edge of a middle-sized town...

That's a long time.:( They were going off here at midnight 20 this morning which is against the law not to mention consideration of residents most of whom would be in bed.

The law..UK copy/paste. (Not my bold text)

Fireworks must not be let off between 11pm and 7am, except on Chinese New Year, Diwali and New Year's Eve, when the period is extended until 1am, and on Guy Fawkes Night, when the period is extended until midnight. It is illegal to set off fireworks (including sparklers) in the street or public place.

That's a long time.:( They were going off here at midnight 20 this morning which is against the law not to mention consideration of residents most of whom would be in bed.

The law..UK copy/paste. (Not my bold text)

Fireworks must not be let off between 11pm and 7am, except on Chinese New Year, Diwali and New Year's Eve, when the period is extended until 1am, and on Guy Fawkes Night, when the period is extended until midnight. It is illegal to set off fireworks (including sparklers) in the street or public place.
I’m inclined to think light shows are the way forward. Bonfires are OK :(

The smoke/fumes can be bad..I'd forgotten about them. Bad for asthmatics. I see from the link I nattached re the petition they are not wanting them banned for No.5th,Christmas and Dawali. Fine but just do without the 'bang'.
I am technically an asthmatic but I grew out of it :). I have a particular sensitivity to sulphur dioxide, I know some (many?) others do, that causes the same symptoms as asthma, maybe that’s what my asthma was since it was before the Clean Air Act stopped most coal burning in houses.

Unless of course a hedgehog has crawled in there while it was being built to hibernate .....
Roast hedgehog, mmm :)

Roast hedgehog, mmm :)
Apparently it has to be wrapped in clay first to
1) stop it burning
2) ease of spine removal..

According to someone I know that has eaten it, anyway..

Unless of course a hedgehog has crawled in there while it was being built to hibernate .....

Yes. True. I just wish there were more warnings about that. I do hear some but nowhere near enough.. Great little creatures.

You'll like this..Maybe you're aware of the new regs. Yet another online petition achieved this.. A good example of the positive side of the internet..for a change.

..and this partnership. https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/bhps-announces-partnership-with-bovis-homes-to-help-hedgehogs/

These should be in WCMUT. :)

You'll like this..Maybe you're aware of the new regs. Yet another online petition achieved this..
I wasn't aware no, but (y)

And I bet you can't guess what it ( allegedly ) tastes like .......
:D

No. but I've just googled it and the answer was..a bit like pork but stronger and chewy.

I recall seeing one of those documentaries on Travellers..who don't actually travel ..and a chap had two youngsters with him and he carried a large stick and was scouring the hedgerow for hedgehogs. I was very pleased that they didn't find any.

I've just googled it and the answer was..a bit like pork but stronger and chewy.
I was guessing chicken TBH :D

Travellers..who don't actually travel ..and a chap had two youngsters with him and he carried a large stick
Apparently they are very popular among them. Along with other foraged items ..

Yes. True. I just wish there were more warnings about that. I do hear some but nowhere near enough.. Great little creatures.

You'll like this..Maybe you're aware of the new regs. Yet another online petition achieved this.. A good example of the positive side of the internet..for a change.

..and this partnership. https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/bhps-announces-partnership-with-bovis-homes-to-help-hedgehogs/

These should be in WCMUT. :)
Helpful for rats too :).

Finding a screw in the rear tyre, can be repaired but some age related cracks and possibly some damage driving home I might as well change both rears. Not to bad if I hadn't just put 4 Goodyear eagle f1s on the NC.

I've heard that the builders have considered that and have put up 'Rats-No access' notices. They say that rats are very smart so maybe they can read english :LOL:
It’s bitter experience on my part. I may have already said, but when I fenced my garden 30 years ago, I left it clear of the ground for hedgehogs to come & go. My then dogs didn’t bother with them (only interested in squirrels). But then I got a Fell Terrier and he killed probably nearly every hedgehog that came into the garden before midnight :(.

It’s bitter experience on my part. I may have already said, but when I fenced my garden 30 years ago, I left it clear of the ground for hedgehogs to come & go. My then dogs didn’t bother with them (only interested in squirrels). But then I got a Fell Terrier and he killed probably nearly every hedgehog that came into the garden before midnight :(.

Oh dear. Not a good ending, then. :(

Back