WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Experience? :)
Only what I heard ..
The ones I come into contact with are generally too "Scabby" to even think about it :p

Women and electronic devices and not being able to stop fiddling.

Mrs WW is one of these. Whenever she wants to show me anything on her phone or tablet it's so frustrating as she just can't stop fiddling with it. Sweeping left, right, up, down or pinching in and out. Pleeeeease! Just press the button and let it play!!!!!!

I've seen other women do this. I think it's a woman thing.

Mrs WW is one of these. Whenever she wants to show me anything on her phone or tablet it's so frustrating as she just can't stop fiddling with it. Sweeping left, right, up, down or pinching in and out. Pleeeeease! Just press the button and let it play!!!!!!

My father in law is forever fiddling with his phone or tablet. Problem is he has absolutely no idea what he is doing and screws it up. My sons then have to try and work out what he has done and fix it. He is so bad with his phone, he can't even workout how to answer it. That cost him a few months back. He won a competition on itv's This Morning. They tried 3 times to phone him, but he just couldn't workout how to answer his phone. They gave up and someone else got the prize. If he'd answered his phone, he would have one a car, an iPhone an iPad and some cash all totalling around £80k. My sons still take the p out of him whenever they see him.

Heard on the news today that Prince William tested positive for Covid-19 last April and suffered breathing difficulties. I'm sorry to hear that for anyone. To date over one million people in the UK have suffered Covid ,46,853 have died. I'm not a supporter of the Institution,the so-called 'Firm' but I acknowledge that many (77% in 2018 of the over 55s) are and would want to know that Prince William had contracted the virus at the time but a Kensington Palace spokesperson said that they 'Didn't want to alarm the nation" Alarm the nation ? What arrogance...delusional even. So many alternative statements they could have made like just saying that so many are suffering and dying that it seemed inappropriate. :rolleyes:

My father in law is forever fiddling with his phone or tablet. Problem is he has absolutely no idea what he is doing and screws it up. My sons then have to try and work out what he has done and fix it. He is so bad with his phone, he can't even workout how to answer it. That cost him a few months back. He won a competition on itv's This Morning. They tried 3 times to phone him, but he just couldn't workout how to answer his phone. They gave up and someone else got the prize. If he'd answered his phone, he would have one a car, an iPhone an iPad and some cash all totalling around £80k. My sons still take the p out of him whenever they see him.

Oh dear. So sorry for him and hope he's not too upset.

WAMLF ...

Having made an appointment to have my BP checked by the nurse at 3pm I duly turned up at 2.58 and was let in and sat waiting for her to call me in. ( she was alone in her room with the door open) 2 more patients turned up and were sat socially distanced in the waiting room. We waited ... and waited ... until she came out at 3.20 and called one of the others in! :rolleyes:

When I pointed out that my appointment was for 3pm she said "You need to be seen by the doctor so I moved your appointment" No mention to me though when I arrived, having told work that I would be 10 mins. :runaway:

Now, if I had known that I would have made a doctors appointment in the first place with the doctor of my choice and not the one who was in (who I see as a last resort.) and if they had told me straight away I would have made a new appointment on a different day and gone straight back to work, rather than losing an hour. (n)

Instead I waited until 3.35 to be called in had my BP done once ( instead of the 2 or 3 times the nurse does it because she knows I get white coat syndrome about it!) and get told my BP was high (unsurprisingly!) and now have to take readings at home for a week ... which are perfectly normal as I knew it would be.

When I go back I will be making the follow up appointment with the other doctor.

Rant over!

WAMLF ...

Having made an appointment to have my BP checked by the nurse at 3pm I duly turned up at 2.58 and was let in and sat waiting for her to call me in. ( she was alone in her room with the door open) 2 more patients turned up and were sat socially distanced in the waiting room. We waited ... and waited ... until she came out at 3.20 and called one of the others in! :rolleyes:

When I pointed out that my appointment was for 3pm she said "You need to be seen by the doctor so I moved your appointment" No mention to me though when I arrived, having told work that I would be 10 mins. :runaway:

Now, if I had known that I would have made a doctors appointment in the first place with the doctor of my choice and not the one who was in (who I see as a last resort.) and if they had told me straight away I would have made a new appointment on a different day and gone straight back to work, rather than losing an hour. (n)

Instead I waited until 3.35 to be called in had my BP done once ( instead of the 2 or 3 times the nurse does it because she knows I get white coat syndrome about it!) and get told my BP was high (unsurprisingly!) and now have to take readings at home for a week ... which are perfectly normal as I knew it would be.

When I go back I will be making the follow up appointment with the other doctor.

Rant over!
Im

I don’t understand why you didn’t do your BP at home in the first place? Seems a bit odd to travel to the surgery to have a nurse take it, especially if you have white coat syndrome. No doubt there was a reason, everyone’s case is different :(.

Oh dear. So sorry for him and hope he's not too upset.
I don't think he is too upset, not unless he is looking for sympathy everytime he mentions it to someone. He certainly hasn't got any sympathy so far, the family just laugh. I think my sons think it is just karma at having to keep fixing his phones, tablets, laptops and PC's over the years. He really shouldn't be allowed to get his hands on the stuff.

Im

I don’t understand why you didn’t do your BP at home in the first place? Seems a bit odd to travel to the surgery to have a nurse take it, especially if you have white coat syndrome. No doubt there was a reason, everyone’s case is different :(.

Because I only need it checking every 6 months and the nurse does it 2 or 3 times so it is fine. In the surgery on Friday it was 155/98 this morning at home it is 115/76. :)

I don't think he is too upset, not unless he is looking for sympathy everytime he mentions it to someone. He certainly hasn't got any sympathy so far, the family just laugh. I think my sons think it is just karma at having to keep fixing his phones, tablets, laptops and PC's over the years. He really shouldn't be allowed to get his hands on the stuff.

You need to get him this

Last edited:
Because I only need it checking every 6 months and the nurse does it 2 or 3 times so it is fine. In the surgery on Friday it was 155/98 this morning at home it is 115/76. :)
I do mine at home and submit it to the surgery online (or in hard copy), seems like you could too :).

Sorry. I was just amused by the fact that magazines “for seniors” exist. There was one on Landscape Photography for Seniors too :)

Sorry. I was just amused by the fact that magazines “for seniors” exist. There was one on Landscape Photography for Seniors too :)
No worries. If you knew my father in law, you'd soon realise that even a magazine for seniors would be a dangerous thing in his hands. :)

That's because they never read the instruction manuals......

Some 30 years ago I had just collected a new company car from the delivery driver. It was parked outside our house & later that evening my wife said could she borrow it, I said yes & offered to show her the controls, which she declined in an indignant manner. 15 minutes later she came back indoors & sheepishly asked me to show her how to turn the lights on......

Had I been in that situation myself I would have reached for the owners handbook.....

Remember this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5aEVGkkgVo

Some 30 years ago I had just collected a new company car from the delivery driver. It was parked outside our house & later that evening my wife said could she borrow it, I said yes & offered to show her the controls, which she declined in an indignant manner. 15 minutes later she came back indoors & sheepishly asked me to show her how to turn the lights on......

Had I been in that situation myself I would have reached for the owners handbook.....

I used to fix computers and wider electronics and eventually I lost all interest in much of it and now I just can't be bothered in even trying to keep anything like up to date. I therefore don't really get all this fascination with staring at mobile phones no matter where you are or who's company you are in. Mrs WW isn't as addicted as some but when she does show me things on her tablet or phone she seems incapable of just keeping her hands off the screen and just letting it play. Actually she's almost as bad when showing me stuff on Youtube on the TV.

My last GF was even worse and had a phone just about permanently glued to her. I had to stifle a laugh and feign sympathy when she dropped her brand new one in a toilet on a train. Later when taking her baby son (not mine) out in the car for the first time she was just the same and she was the most distracted driver I've ever known. She just found it impossible to put the phone down, she seemed obsessed with it. It was one of the reasons we didn't marry, she was never really present in the moment no matter who she was with or where she was.

WAMT - I've had 5 (yes,5!) of those poxy "This is an automated call from Amazon... " calls in the last hour!

I do mine at home and submit it to the surgery online (or in hard copy), seems like you could too :).

I could ... if I was inclined to buy a monitor, which I am not.

The thing that annoyed me the most was the not being told about the appointment change, just common courtesy really.

Last weekend I leant my son and gf my Tiguan for them to collect a bulky long object. It fit because as well as the rear backrests flipping down in the Tig you can also flip down the front passenger seat backrest. Before they left I showed them how to pull the lever and flip it down.

Upon return they informed me that they couldn't get the front br to flip, as they pulled all the levers and it didn't work (hint, you pull the backrest forward at the same time)
So they googled on their phone how to do it. I pointed out looking in the manual which is in the front glovebox would have been quicker. Duh. (They've both got a degree).

It's not just the older generation.

I could ... if I was inclined to buy a monitor, which I am not.

The thing that annoyed me the most was the not being told about the appointment change, just common courtesy really.
Fairly nuff. If anyone is interested I‘ve been using this one for years, reliable & cheap:

and this app:

works well on iPhone & iPad (and reliably transfers between the two), available for android.

Last weekend I leant my son and gf my Tiguan for them to collect a bulky long object. It fit because as well as the rear backrests flipping down in the Tig you can also flip down the front passenger seat backrest. Before they left I showed them how to pull the lever and flip it down.

Upon return they informed me that they couldn't get the front br to flip, as they pulled all the levers and it didn't work (hint, you pull the backrest forward at the same time)
So they googled on their phone how to do it. I pointed out looking in the manual which is in the front glovebox would have been quicker. Duh. (They've both got a degree).

It's not just the older generation.
I expect they got the manual out but it wouldn’t open because it wouldn’t recognise their fingerprints or faces :)

Trying to contact Microsoft in UK really is the limit! Even worse than Hermes couriers!

They have telephone numbers but that only leads to a recorded voice, press button 1 or 2 or more, ad infinitum, to speak about whatever you are trying get an answer to. The result is you are sent around in the proverbial circle to start were you came in. They have an E mail option with 3 or 4 steps to follow (or hoops to jump through) Then you get to a button for the E mail and it doesn't work. Has anyone got a workable telephone for speaking to a human at Microsoft. I mean an actual living person and not a computer relying on artificial intelligence to work. Or perhaps they are one and the same.

My home insurance premium renewal is up by 17%. The average for Q3 is 3.16%. Last year it was up by 11% so in two years a 28% increase. I'm about to ask why and then change provider because I can't see them coming down much. On the occasions I've challnged a renewal cost only once has a company dropped the price.The last claim was when a central heating pipe burst in the back bedroom because the builders didn't cut a channel in a joist so it could sit in it .Maybe it was a Friday, late afternoon. Over time the stress caused the pipe to split. It was so long ago I can't recall how many years and not with this company either. We are very low risk indeed. I've checked our local crime numbers and burglary is really low and has been all year. The only transgression up is anti-social behaviour but we never see any of that. They sometimes give that as the reason. The rise in insurance tax was another reason one year. I pointed that it amounted to £6. When I went to get my haircut..very short..lol..yesterday to get me over this looming lockdown and mentioned it to the barber. Been going there for years ..and he said his had gone up a lot too and with the same company.

Btw. Next year the FCA will instruct insurance companies to offer the same premium cost to existing customers as they do to tempt new ones.I'm sure I've said it before on here that I look on the financial sector ,especially, as 'the enemy'.

We just have to hope this comes about and in any event never allow auto-renewal. On my car insurance for 2018,2019 and 2020 and 2019 for home insurance despite telling the customer care operative (a misnomer if ever there was one) that I didn;t want auto-renewal when I got the paperwork on the back of the policy was written.. "As you have chosen to agree to 'continous payment' premiums etc.. They didn't call it auto-renewal. So..I called the company and asked the CC person what was written on the screen re my renewal and each time was told that I'd asked for manual renewal. Infact the last time the lady was really apologetic and said she'd take it up with her line manager because I said it's obviously someone further up the chain who writes up the policies and ignores my (and no doubt all others' ) option and at best it looks incompetent, at worst, sharp practice. She asked if I'd like written confirmation so I said yes and and got a letter 'This is to confirm that your policy is on manual renewal' No apology.

Bank "tellers" They are worse than Dr's receptionist IMO.
It should take 2 minutes to "pay in" especially when you also present the bank card,
but no 10 mins later and I was starting to get irritated.

Why the hell when you pay money in do they start digging around your account(s)?
"I see you have a savings account with us, I'll get one of our advisors to call you
to help you make the best from your money".
You mean, me to help you get the most from my money!

Don't be so damned nosy, finish the transaction, leave my account alone!
And don't bother with the phone call either.

Hermes. Item was supposed to be delivered today, between 2 and 6 pm. Not arrived yet but there was time. Except I received an email to say they couldn’t deliver as I wasn’t in. Except I was. All day. Nothing on the camera to suggest they were anywhere near my house either. Bar stewards.

Bloody Hermes again. :mad:

I've been waiting in all day for them again, only to get an email a few minutes ago saying they tried to deliver at 1110 this morning - lying barstewards. I'd even opened the front door an hour earlier so they could leave it in the porch rather than wait for me to get to the door. :banghead:

WAMT. I just put my hand in the packet of Doritos we were sharing and it went straight to the bottom of the now empty packet.......

Company wins appeal to build 140 acre employment site on the site of historic Roman ruins in Milton Keynes
A huge new employment site that was refused planning permission by the council has been given the go-ahead after an appeal.

Nick Crank, senior archaeological officer at Milton Keynes Council, said the development would lead to the total loss of "significant buried archaeological remains of probable national significance"
This, he says includes a Roman street and buildings forming part of the Roman town of Magiovinium.

Source

That's nothing compared to what the church has built on in the past! Exeter cathedral is built over a Roman temple complex as are a fair few others, trying to supress the older religions.

B..... Fireworks
In the front garden of the corner house across the road for me - they have a very large back garden they could have used

Noisy flashy things

Back