WAMT....what annoyed me today!

It's one thing tailgating but to do it to a clearly liveried BSM car where a learner could easily have slammed on the brakes on seeing the amber light is absolute madness!
One of the main things learners have to deal with is dykheads who seem to forget that they had to learn to drive once too.
Tailgating, ridiculously risky overtaking, pulling out of junctions inappropriately so as not to get "stuck" behind a learner, hurling abuse.....I get the horror stories every day.
A liveried driving school car only seems to encourage the morons.

One of the main things learners have to deal with is dykheads who seem to forget that they had to learn to drive once too.
Tailgating, ridiculously risky overtaking, pulling out of junctions inappropriately so as not to get "stuck" behind a learner, hurling abuse.....I get the horror stories every day.

Haven't had any abuse (that I know of) but have had the others in abundance!

Learners are like horses being ridden on the road. Give them plenty of room, be patient, and be prepared for the unexpected.

Haven't had any abuse (that I know of)
Let me know when you are next out, and your route , I'll see what I can do (y)

:p

I have two things to complain about...

Firstly, bank accounts and specifically getting a current account and switch card.

I wanted to get a bank account and switch card for Mrs WW (she's Thai) to give her some independence so that she doesn't have to use my cards when she wants to buy something on line but apparently these days you can't have a current account and switch card if you don't have an income from work or benefits because of anti money laundering rules.

I retired over 10 years ago and although I'm not exactly a Ricard Branson I'm comfortable so I don't have to work and I receive no benefits. Mrs WW is the same, she's retired but her properties and the bulk of her money is in Thailand in bricks and mortar and investments. Neither of us can apparently open a new current account as neither of us has an income from work or benefits. We've had face to face meets with banks and they can't help (as it's all apparently due to anti money laundering rules.) They say "Where will she get her money from?" so I say I'll put the max protected amount in it, what's that... £75K? but that's no good as she apparently needs an income.

It seems odd that someone on a very low wage, maybe a couple of hours part time work or someone on the lowest state benefit payment can have a current account and switch card but someone who doesn't need an income and can live quite happily and comfortably can't. She could apparently open a savings account and I do that quite often as I move money about and you can get cards with some of these but they're not widely accepted, so the banks say. So we're stuck and she can't have a current account and switch card.

One solution would be for Mrs WW to take a part time job, set up a current account and then leave the job once the first wage has been paid in. That's one way around it... but Mrs WW wouldn't consider that as she's too moral and wouldn't mess an employer about. So we can't do it... How irritating.

Secondly.
We were ushered out of the way whilst walking in our local high street yesterday by a couple on bikes, he leading and ushering everyone out of the way and she following and towing a buggy with a child in it.

Since when did adults riding bikes on the pavement become the norm and how come they get to tell everyone to move over? It's not a overly busy road, just one lane both ways, and they should IMO be on it.

Oh, and I wont mention how arrogant and aggressive these a-holes on bikes on the pavement can be. Did I mention that? No? Good :D

What a pain. I remember many years ago having trouble setting up a bank account in Australia, and then we couldn’t get a credit card. We used cash all the time! Do you have any sort of pension being paid in - no need to answer publicly, but just wondering if they would count that as income... and could you pay Mrs WW an amount every month... would that count?

What a pain. I remember many years ago having trouble setting up a bank account in Australia, and then we couldn’t get a credit card. We used cash all the time! Do you have any sort of pension being paid in - no need to answer publicly, but just wondering if they would count that as income... and could you pay Mrs WW an amount every month... would that count?

I left my last job intending to volunteer for something but instead I've ended up being pretty much a full time carer. I have no income apart from the interest my money in banks gets and the odd £25 win on the premium bonds. I've been told I could claim something for the looking after I do but I haven't tried as I don't need the money as I live quite well on my savings.

I can't pay Mrs WW, I tried that argument and the nice lady at the bank said no so really the only ways for her to have a current account are for her to take a job or claim some sort of benefit and as she like me is quite moral she's not willing to do either.

So, unfortunately she'll have to carry on asking me for money. Actually she has a money box and I look in it from time to time and if it's getting down I fill it up so she doesn't have the indignity of having to ask but she still has to use my switch and credit cards for buying on line.

I will look into savings accounts with cards and see if any are widely accepted and worth having. It's a pain that we can't set up a current account for her though.

Last edited:
I left my last job intending to volunteer for something but instead I've ended up being pretty much a full time carer. I have no income apart from the interest my money in banks gets and the odd £25 win on the premium bonds. I've been told I could claim something for the looking after I do but I haven't tried as I don't need the money as I live quite well on my savings.

I can't pay Mrs WW, I tried that argument and the nice lady at the bank said no so really the only ways for her to have a current account are for her to take a job or claim some sort of benefit and as she like me is quite moral she's not willing to do either.

So, unfortunately she'll have to carry on asking me for money. Actually she has a money box and I look in it from time to time and if it's getting down I fill it up so she doesn't have the indignity of having to ask but she still has to use my switch and credit cards for buying on line.

I will look into savings accounts with cards and see if any are widely accepted and worth having. It's a pain that we can't set up a current account for her though.
yes what a pain. I have a feeling my children had a savings account at the Halifax that gave them a card - so they were able to make online payments.

It's a pain that we can't set up a current account for her though.
What a nightmare & I do sympathise, You wouldn't believe the trouble ( although you probably do) we had setting up a bank account of any sort,
for my lad, just as he was about to start work, so they could pay his wages in.
We dragged him along of course, to several on the high street and we were happy to pay in £100 (iirc) to open the account for him.
Somehow or another, that was was also seen as money laundering! WTF!

yes what a pain. I have a feeling my children had a savings account at the Halifax that gave them a card - so they were able to make online payments.
What a nightmare & I do sympathise, You wouldn't believe the trouble ( although you probably do) we had setting up a bank account of any sort,
for my lad, just as he was about to start work, so they could pay his wages in.
We dragged him along of course, to several on the high street and we were happy to pay in £100 (iirc) to open the account for him.
Somehow or another, that was was also seen as money laundering! WTF!

The biggest disappointment for me is that Mrs WW can't at the moment have the independence that a bank account and card give and can't do simple things like buy me a birthday present or herself a pair of shoes online without involving me and me seeing what she's spent. This would still be a problem with a joint account as I'd have access to it and I'd see her transactions when I'm checking my own.

It's not that I care how much she spends as that isn't a problem but I do care about her feelings as she has to involve me in her spending and that to me is a loss of independence. Maybe I worry about this more than her. I hope so.

I'll have another think in case I've missed something and I'll look at savings accounts with cards too.

The biggest disappointment for me is that Mrs WW can't at the moment have the independence that a bank account and card give and can't do simple things like buy me a birthday present or herself a pair of shoes online without involving me and me seeing what she's spent. This would still be a problem with a joint account as I'd have access to it and I'd see her transactions when I'm checking my own.

It's not that I care how much she spends as that isn't a problem but I do care about her feelings as she has to involve me in her spending and that to me is a loss of independence. Maybe I worry about this more than her. I hope so.

I'll have another think in case I've missed something and I'll look at savings accounts with cards too.

I believe there are accounts which issue a card these days, I know a girl in work whose son is still in school but he has a card he can use at cashpoints and for payments online he just doesn't have an overdraft

Have you thought about something like a revolut card? You pay £10 to set it up and get the card delivered but can use it just like a debit card (think it might be app based so depends on how your both are with smartphones etc). We have one which we use for food shopping what we put money on at start of month.

Not sure if it's worth a look?

I actively avoid smartphones but whilst Mrs WW doesn't spend every waking hour with a phone in her hand sometimes it seems like she does so I'm sure she'll cope :D

I'll look into these suggestions :D

Dry here at the moment. Finish work at 12:30, bound to start around then.

Again? You mean it stopped?
Missed that. :(
Yep still lashing down here also :(

My money is on a hose pipe ban by the end of July, latest :D

The same thing that annoys me a lot of the time when I turn the TV on and

(a) as a programme starts I'm told what I'm going to see later in the programme, or
(b) as a programme ends I'm told a bit of what is going to happen in the next episode.

Dave

Is it near enough to the shore to make retrieval (memory card may be salvageable) at low tide an option, or did it happen out by the deep bit?

Dave, sorry to hear that, is it not covered on insurance?

That was the only camera not insured, as was always careful with them all. Even my X-T3 that was on my PD Slide and round my head and shoulders hit the ground as I fell over, but the lens hood helped the 90mm.

Is it near enough to the shore to make retrieval (memory card may be salvageable) at low tide an option, or did it happen out by the deep bit?

The deep bit, as I was about half way on the pier. It could of been far far worse though as had just ordered a new lens from Jessops, thank god it was not in store.

I guess there's always the possibility it eventually washes up on the shore. If the card survives, there may be one of those "Found Photos" theads popping up in a few months?

Took two cameras out today and came back with one, some stupid fool run in to me on the pier and my X100F flew out of my hands and over the side in to the water. Stupid idiot did not even say sorry.

Ouch!! Bugger

some stupid fool run in to me on the pier and my X100F flew out of my hands and over the side in to the water. Stupid idiot did not even say sorry.
What a twatt!
Sorry to hear that Dave :(

People who advertise items for sale on tp then dont answer questions evdn though theyve logged in.

but good news is my Home insurance will cover the loss as long as I can prove I owned it
Result Dave (y)

People who advertise items for sale on tp then dont answer questions evdn though theyve logged in.
Or leave feedback when you've bought things from them. :mad:
Or not marking sold when sold, causing people to RTM the fact they have read through X number of pages and it was sold, when they got to the end.

Back