WAMT....what annoyed me today!

unfortunately the union would probably raise a s*** storm.

Is he affecting your earnings/safety/etc or something like that? Maybe the union should be on your side :(

I'd love for that too happen, unfortunately the union would probably raise a s*** storm. Plus because it's a research and development facility, there are restrictions on cameras. I know for a fact he doesn't care about the job and has no pride in his work, but I can't work out if that is the reason why things break or whether he is indeed doing these things deliberately. I am leaning towards the latter more and more. The engine is covered in thermocouple to measure various temperatures and loads of pressure lines to measure boost pressure, exhaust pressures etc. As I finished resembling everything today, I noticed a plastic pressure line just hanging, I guessed it may have come out of its connector where it plugs into a boom that takes all the pressure measurements. I checked which one it was supposed to be plugged into and the connector was missing. The plastic line could have possibly come out of the connector but the connector can not possibly fall off the boom it has to be physically unplugged and I know I didn't do it and no one else would have reason to do it. So that just leaves one person.
I'll just carry on doing my bit, putting an entry in the log everytime I have to fix something that has broke. Eventually the management might just do something about him.

Over many years though I never worked (edit ~ actually there was one who had a section that I had to go into about once or twice a month) in secure section type establishments, I did have such as customers including government places (very fascinating some were too)...................as well a certain Essex based car manufacturers two locations one of which was the factory ;)

In many such places there was often overt cameras and in some I could only surmise covert.

So granted there would be union concerns but if there in indeed malicious intent that causes commercial damage shouldn't that be taken seriously by both management and unions???

Last edited:
Finding the battery on my less than 3 year old electric saw is wonky and that you can't buy any replacement batteries as the genuine ones are NLA and the replacement for that is also NLA.

Is he affecting your earnings/safety/etc or something like that? Maybe the union should be on your side :(
He will only affect others earnings when the company decide due to poor performance they won't invest any more money in our department and shut the place. I would say he is in his early 50's, so even if we did get made redundant, he is going to need another job and due to a disability from a car accident about 12yrs ago which would limit him to what he could do, I don't think anyone would employ him, if they did, I doubt he'd last even a month.
We have a two tier pay system at work, the lower pay tier was introduced to lower labour costs so that Ford UK could compete better against other Ford plants in other countries. Some people in our department are on the lower grade and it really annoys them that this bloke is on the higher tier and just stands around talking or spends most of the shift in another cell.
Because we have a half hour between shifts now instead of the 15 minute handover overlap we had precovid, I always leave him a message on Notepad on one of the PC screens so he knows exactly what is going on. I get nothing in return. Even his entries in the log, lack any real information, I have to piece together what he has done and then when I add my entries to the log, try to make it clear what he has done, which won't be much, and also email the engineer so he has a better idea what is happening, especially if the engineer is working from home.
On Monday the automated test I was running kept crashing, a problem with a connection to another PC which monitors the engine. It crashed again just before i went home, so left the engine running, but left him a note he needed to get an engineer to fix the fault. I also left the same info in the log. His first entry in the log was the engineer was in the ccell console room fixing the problem. 2nd log entry about an hour later, Resume test. (I always put where in the test it resumes from just incase any other problems crop up and makes it easier to discover which bits need repeating) His next log entry, the test has crashed again and engineer is back in the cell trying to fix the problem again.
On Tuesday Morning I am reading through the log trying to piece together what he has done, hoping for a clue as to what the problem was incase it is anything I can watch out for and fix myself should it happen again, but true to form he left no such information. But I did notice that Notepad was still open in the background on the screen, he rarely closes it down. It was a message from the engineer who had been fixing the problem saying it was now fixed and he had resumed the test. That means the lazy git wasn't even in the cell whilst the problem was being fixed. It won't get the engineer in trouble even though he shouldn't have resumed the test without my shift opposite in the room, but I did take great delight in pointing out the note to my foreman and a few engineers on my shift.

Over many years though I never worked (edit ~ actually there was one who had a section that I had to go into about once or twice a month) in secure section type establishments, I did have such as customers including government places (very fascinating some were too)...................as well a certain Essex based car manufacturers two locations one of which was the factory ;)

In many such places there was often overt cameras and in some I could only surmise covert.

So granted there would be union concerns but if there in indeed malicious intent that causes commercial damage shouldn't that be taken seriously by both management and unions???

Things like clutches going is par for the course, due to the testing we do, but it's all the silly little things that break which means the instrumentation won't be getting the readings they require and the test has to be run again. The fitting that he broke yesterday and today would have meant an exhaust leak, only small about 4km diameter, but it affects turbo speed, emissions, fuel economy etc.
When I worked at Dagenham cameras were put in a few places in the factory to prevent thefts, there was an overhead tunnel that ran from the sub assembly area in the stamping plant over to the paint trim and assembly plant across the road. The car bodies would pass through there, but people would walk through as well. Most would just use it to go to the gym or the bank in that part of the factory, but some would go through there to steal radios and stuff out of the parts bins on the assembly lines. So they put cameras up.
Only other cameras that I was aware of in the stamping plant was because someone was stealing the spot welder copper tips. So they installed a camera to monitor the machine which dispensed the tips in order to catch the thief. Somehow he escaped detection and it was only because the scrap metal dealer that was buying copper from the bloke got raised by the police, that they caught the thief.
Where I work now because we do prototype work, we aren't allowed to take photos without permission and only certain people are given permission.
Even if they get hard and fast evidence of what the lazy git is doing, unfortunately the manager who could do anything about him is a wet lettuce and doesn't like dealing with anything like that. My foreman would love to do something about it but can't because he is on the wrong shift and can't tread on the toes of those in charge on the opposite shift.

@nilagin

What you describe above takes me back to my first ever job after leaving school ~ an NHS path lab at a major hospital.

My first rotation was in microbiology and the department head said, bearing in mind that we also did lone Sunday shifts, "just in case you fall under a bus on the way home, make sure you leave notes to make it obvious what your colleagues may have to pick up...". Sage advice that paid off as needed and IMO in any situation where the same approach is required, is negligent if not followed :(

Last edited:
@nilagin

What you describe above takes me back to my first ever job after leaving school ~ an NHS path lab at a major hospital.

My first rotation was in microbiology and the department head said, bearing in mind that we also did lone Sunday shifts, "just in case you fall under a bus on the way home, make sure you leave notes to make it obvious what your colleagues may have to pick up...". Sage advice that paid off as needed and IMO in any situation where the same approach is required, is negligent if not followed :(
I do the same for myself too. Especially in current times, if I get covid or get told to isolate, someone else is likely to have to cover the job instead. Same goes with the lazy git on the other shift, if he isn't in, someone else is going to have to cover for him and because my test cell has a lot of things that are unique compared to the other test cells, it can take a few days to get used to it, so notes of what is happening or is expected comes in handy.
Every week we have to do a calibration check of the Dyno as well as a safety check and record certain information, such as how many hours since certain items were last serviced or replaced. I write this information down on a sticky note as a reminder when each item needs doing and it also makes it easier to fill out the information on the computerised check sheet. Oddly my sticky notes keep disappearing.

I do the same for myself too. Especially in current times, if I get covid or get told to isolate, someone else is likely to have to cover the job instead. Same goes with the lazy git on the other shift, if he isn't in, someone else is going to have to cover for him and because my test cell has a lot of things that are unique compared to the other test cells, it can take a few days to get used to it, so notes of what is happening or is expected comes in handy.
Every week we have to do a calibration check of the Dyno as well as a safety check and record certain information, such as how many hours since certain items were last serviced or replaced. I write this information down on a sticky note as a reminder when each item needs doing and it also makes it easier to fill out the information on the computerised check sheet. Oddly my sticky notes keep disappearing.

Hmmm! about time 'they' introduced a more structured handover system with checks and balances to show that A reported action 1 required for B to finsh...then that A can positively confirm that B completed it when A is next back on shift.

Maybe a Kanban board or similar.

Not beyond the wit of the more senior folks to implement, is it?

I worked in the coal mining industry, that kind of behaviour from a shift colleague would have earned him a’friendly’ talking to, after that it would escalate up the chain to the chief engineer if required, I worked with one whom we called “feart to” he would report that we, well, I needed to keep an eye on plant X because something was wrong but he was feart to touch it in case it broke. He eventually got given enough s***ty jobs that he left.

I worked in the coal mining industry, that kind of behaviour from a shift colleague would have earned him a’friendly’ talking to, after that it would escalate up the chain to the chief engineer if required, I worked with one whom we called “feart to” he would report that we, well, I needed to keep an eye on plant X because something was wrong but he was feart to touch it in case it broke. He eventually got given enough s***ty jobs that he left.
When I first started working opposite him, he took me by surprise. He's always had the lazy and couldn't care less reputation, but things were actually getting done, including the dyno calibration checks. Then before we went into the initial lockdown and we were furloughed whilst the working environment could be made safe, a half hour gap was imposed between the shifts so that we couldn't mix in work at least to minimise cross contamination. So far it's worked, a few people have got covid outside of work, but it hasn't been passed onto others inside work.
But not long after the half hour gap was imposed, then his laziness reappeared and it appears to be reaching new levels.
He has been pulled up on his lack of information when he writes his log entries, they improve ever so slightly for a week or so, then slip back to his usual standard. Several other people have worked opposite him and all complain about his lack of information and work.
I don't know who it was, but a manager did reprimand him, back in October, for his lack of effort. I don't know if he he just doesn't care or he is that stupid to realise that his log entries actually highlight that he doesn't do much work. I highlight every problem I encounter during my shifts to cover what I have done and it seems to be highlighting his lack of effort even more. I suspect the odd things that I can't explain, may well be his attempts to sabotage the work I am doing, I just don't have any concrete proof.
Hopefully the work we are doing now, is indeed the last of the work for that cell and it will close. No one has permanently replaced me on my shift in my old cell, so if there is still work in there, I can return to that. He will be spare labour, which at least means he won't be able to sabotage other peoples work. We do have a couple of new cells being built which should be commissioned within the next few months plus two more by the end of the year, we will be given the opportunity to transfer to one of those cells and hopefully the management won't be allowing him to transfer. The remaining old cells will be used to just start the engines after they have just been built or modified, to make sure they are ok before mounting in a test cell. That would likely become a different department and not likely to get any overtime either, something that he does like alot of.

Being pretty sure* I've a decent velbon super 8 monopod somewhere in my house but I can't find the bloomin' thing!

I'm now trying to decide if I buy another or it turns up...

*almost certain I didn't sell it when I sold all my other gear but not positive!

Got up about 30 minutes ago, thought I would check out the front to see if we have had any of the snow they had promised would start this weekend. Although it was dark I could see lighter patches, as if it was patches of snow, but couldn't work out why I didn't have a clear view of my wifes car parked across the road. Moved the next curtains to be confronted by this on the grass outside our block of flats.

20210207_064932.jpg

Never seen the two cars before. They weren't there at around 11pm, I was awake until around 1 am, our lobby door is noisy to open and close and I didn't hear anything, so not even a clue as to where the owners have gone. There is also what looks to be a thin white stick leaning against the side of the Mercedes.

@nilagin I'd be reporting that to the police on 101 or online. My first thought would be if cars aren't local, they're either dealing or if you have nice cars in your area potential car thefts using the stick to get keys through letterboxes.

@nilagin I'd be reporting that to the police on 101 or online. My first thought would be if cars aren't local, they're either dealing or if you have nice cars in your area potential car thefts using the stick to get keys through letterboxes.
Cars have now been moved. Turns out they were something to do with the woman who lives on the top floor of our block. They had to get a tow truck to drag them off the wet grass with a winch. I have no idea what the bloke hooked up to on the cars, but he opened the boot of each, rather than fitting towing eyes or hooking up to a rear subframe under the cars. The woman who lives upstairs oversaw it all. Who ever her visitors are didn't even come down to attend to their cars. The tow truck driver, has parked the cars somewhere else now. In the light of day the stick looked to be closer to the thickness of a broom handle.20210207_072622.jpg
Seconds before the tow truck arrived.

20210207_075924.jpg
Made a nice mess of the grass and didn't even bother to remove whatever they had been using to try and give their tyres some traction.

Cars have now been moved. Turns out they were something to do with the woman who lives on the top floor of our block. They had to get a tow truck to drag them off the wet grass with a winch. I have no idea what the bloke hooked up to on the cars, but he opened the boot of each, rather than fitting towing eyes or hooking up to a rear subframe under the cars. The woman who lives upstairs oversaw it all. Who ever her visitors are didn't even come down to attend to their cars. The tow truck driver, has parked the cars somewhere else now. In the light of day the stick looked to be closer to the thickness of a broom handle.View attachment 307832

View attachment 307833
Made a nice mess of the grass and didn't even bother to remove whatever they had been using to try and give their tyres some traction.

Is this by any chance the same person who used to leave things around?

Is this by any chance the same person who used to leave things around?
Yes the exact same person. Still getting stuff left outside too. A couple of weeks ago there was a couple of large zip up bags left in the gap next to the stairs opposite our front door. There was a note on them to say someone would pick them up on the Friday. Don't know why they had to be put out so early though. On the Thursday, when I got home from work, there was a small SUV, that I didn't recognise, parked across the road. It isn't unusual for unfamiliar cars to turn up during the day even though under lockdown, no one should be getting visitors. The SUV was still there when I left for work in the morning, but gone by the time I had got home, as were the two bags. In there place was a stack of packs of 0.75L bottles of water. We also had muddy tyre Mark's on the grass and muddy footprints in the lobby which had been cleaned just 2 days previously. My wife had seen the SUV parked on the grass. Other than the regular delivery of this water, we have still never seen any furniture or anything going in but there is still the steady flow of furniture coming out for the council to take away. I suspect there must be some sort of one way portal from another dimension in their flat.

Cars have now been moved. Turns out they were something to do with the woman who lives on the top floor of our block. They had to get a tow truck to drag them off the wet grass with a winch. I have no idea what the bloke hooked up to on the cars, but he opened the boot of each, rather than fitting towing eyes or hooking up to a rear subframe under the cars. The woman who lives upstairs oversaw it all. Who ever her visitors are didn't even come down to attend to their cars. The tow truck driver, has parked the cars somewhere else now. In the light of day the stick looked to be closer to the thickness of a broom handle.View attachment 307832

View attachment 307833
The cars turned up at 1:30 in the morning according to someone on our Facebook group. Someone tagged a local councillor in on the post and they have sent an email to the council. They were at a loss as to the car registrations, so I supplied my photo.
Hopefully the culprits will be fined for the repair, the tracks are a couple of inches deep, so it's going to take more than a bit of grass seed.

I bought a tub of Galaxy hot chocolate. Around the top there's a pink ring with 15% more written on it but when you open the tub the powder doesn't even reach the pink band.

So 15% more what? Packaging?

I bought a tub of Galaxy hot chocolate. Around the top there's a pink ring with 15% more written on it but when you open the tub the powder doesn't even reach the pink band.

So 15% more what? Packaging?

The smaller package also has space up top? I know that when we buy Cadbury's hot choc, once you peel away the foil there's always a gap down to where the powder starts, possibly to let the powder 'breathe' as it can clump up if it gets moist/humid

Last edited:
I know all that. Don't spoil the moment :D

It's just generally annoying that when you open something it's never full. These tubs are nowhere near.

It's just generally annoying that when you open something it's never full. These tubs are nowhere near.

I'd be much more concerned if they did this with beers! :ROFLMAO: Imagine opening a can of lager and it's only 3/4 full! :eek:

Last edited:

If they WERE full to the brim, you can bet that some people would moan that some powder puffed out when they opened the tub! :p

Most of the snow we had in our area is now gone, just patchy on grass or near some kerbs. That is not what I am annoyed about, it is the people who haven't used their cars until today and haven't cleared the snow off their cars properly. Just seen several on the 10 minute journey to work. The worst was an old fart crawling along at 15-20mph because he couldn't see properly. At least 2" of snow on his bonnet, 3-4" of snow on the bottom of his windscreen covering his wipers, rear window completely covered, but going by the lines it looks like he was trying to melt it off and front door windows barely legal with the amount of clear glass he had to look through.

Most of the snow we had in our area is now gone, just patchy on grass or near some kerbs. That is not what I am annoyed about, it is the people who haven't used their cars until today and haven't cleared the snow off their cars properly. Just seen several on the 10 minute journey to work. The worst was an old fart crawling along at 15-20mph because he couldn't see properly. At least 2" of snow on his bonnet, 3-4" of snow on the bottom of his windscreen covering his wipers, rear window completely covered, but going by the lines it looks like he was trying to melt it off and front door windows barely legal with the amount of clear glass he had to look through.

8C4F6C02-D355-4B7E-A217-0643E8CF01B1.jpeg

The worst was an old fart crawling along
...and before you know it, you'll be the "old fart", hearing a younger generation referring to you with contempt. As our American cousins say: "what goes around, comes around". :wideyed: :naughty:

My shift opposite managed to do both anoy and cheer today.
He managed to get away with doing nothing again this morning after raising a maintenance request to have our dyno recalibrated. Don't know why the maintenance didn't look at it this morning, but it was left for the lads on my shift this afternoon. First thing I noticed was that the sensor that measures the torque load on the dyno was outside of it's operating temperature, so I had to warm that up.
Then i noticed that a cable had been left running across the test cell about 3" off the floor, a nice trip hazard right next to the engines exhaust.
So I cheered myself up and grassed the bloke up to the foreman. :)

...and before you know it, you'll be the "old fart", hearing a younger generation referring to you with contempt. As our American cousins say: "what goes around, comes around". :wideyed: :naughty:
There's no excuse for not keeping and using your car in a safe condition. There could be less of a younger generation if the old fart had mounted the pavement or hit a kid crossing the road.
It's not funny and downright dangerous.

I changed over to a new Virgin SIM yesterday from PAYG. Today I cannot get into my Virgin account despite using the email account where they have sent me details of the SIM. Then a few moments ago I tried to get into my Flickr account and it is telling me it is an incorrect email account (the same one as I use for Virgin Mobile). I know it isn't as when I set up these accounts I keep a note of them.

3 calls in as many hours, "this is a call from Amazon". No point in trying to block the number as it's Different every time! :mad:

3 calls in as many hours, "this is a call from Amazon". No point in trying to block the number as it's Different every time! :mad:

Now that was spooky...........................just reading this and the phone rang......................not Amazon but......recorded(electronically generated?) message........."there is suspicious activity on your network, press 1 to talk to an executive to sort it out..."

Now that was spooky...........................just reading this and the phone rang......................not Amazon but......recorded(electronically generated?) message........."there is suspicious activity on your network, press 1 to talk to an executive to sort it out..."

The "Amazon" one is the only automated one I get but I do get people telling me they're from BT or that there's a problem with my computer.

My phone call blocker allows me to block 'area codes' which deals with some of these types of calls.

Back