Washing Your Car!

Gave my mates new Disco Sport a clean, then polished, sealed and waxed it to protect it for the New Year - flipping heck they’re big !!!
You should try hand washing a Discovery 3 or 4, it's like bathing an elephant! :(

And as for running round on those 'nancy' low profile tyres......only fit to show off in the High Street...............but heh times move on ;)
Couldn't agree more, it's like putting a rugby player in ballet shoes! ;)

Last edited:
Anyone got a recommendation for a decent machine polisher for a first time user?

I've read that rotary ones are not really for a beginner and seen a few people mention DAS6 but there seems to be a few different types/models of those.

My wife is pestering me for an idea for my birthday present so thought one of these might fit the bill.

for occasional use one of these will do the job
they do a pro version at a higher cost but for the amount of use they get for personal use i think the pro version would be overkill

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/das-6-v2-dual-action-polisher

you will need polishing pads, do some research and just buy the pads you are going to use

i came across a compound that is ideal to use with a machine polisher that covers pretty much all the bases up to a final sealant / wax finishing coat called scholl s20 - black

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/scho...H6A99bBaOJsy_orOTuurNcEKEaAkeaEALw_wcB#183=37

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrrUE5oP0fo

i bought some a few months back but not really had chance to try it out properly but everything iv'e seen / heard about it has been promising

Did neighbours car over Christmas with it again - so quick and easy to apply / buff off.

Main thing I would say, make sure you apply a thin layer and the included applicator is a breeze to use (y)

Got round to using it a few weekends ago. Paint looks shiny and feels so smooth. Really impressed.

Got round to using it a few weekends ago. Paint looks shiny and feels so smooth. Really impressed.

Excellent job :)

Beading is impressive too and does seem to last well - but then again, it’s so quick and easy to apply :)

Excellent job :)

Beading is impressive too and does seem to last well - but then again, it’s so quick and easy to apply :)

Yeah I drove in the rain after got home and the sides were dry and the back was soaked. Obviously just helped the water leave the car. It’s filthy again now :(

Quick wash for both Friday evening then interiors Sunday. Civic is due service and MOT Wednesday and the 5 is going in for custom decat manifold and centre sports cat same day.Feb Clean 01-1800x1200.jpg

@andyred

finally got round to using the autoglym UHD Wax today and here are the results

B4mX3vF.jpg

Yqp65Gc.jpg

it's not bad at all considering how easy it is to apply

I dont know if this has already been mentioned but once you get your alloys spotless, wax them. Macguires wheel wax is terrific. A bit more work but the next 5 or so washes the dirt and brake dust just rinses off.

I dont know if this has already been mentioned but once you get your alloys spotless, wax them. Macguires wheel wax is terrific. A bit more work but the next 5 or so washes the dirt and brake dust just rinses off.

Not used this, but do either wax the wheels or seal them and it does make life easier to clean :thumb:

@andyred

finally got round to using the autoglym UHD Wax today and here are the results

B4mX3vF.jpg

Yqp65Gc.jpg

it's not bad at all considering how easy it is to apply

Looking good mate, lovely depth of shine and as you say, easy to apply. I use their Aqua wax as a drying aid and it tops it nicely - just remember less is more with it :)

Gave wife’s car a clean and another application of UHD wax yesterday, easy to apply and remove - one happy wife :)

IMG_0047.JPG

Civic flew through MOT again, MX5 has a little extra rasp after custom decat manifold and centre sports cat. Too nice to ignore weather so a double wash with both finished with Megs Ultimate QD. D300, 17-55 f/2.8 cpl
FB_IMG_1551013211825.jpgFB_IMG_1551013259474.jpgFB_IMG_1551013282977.jpg

Last edited:
Just washed and polished wifey’s Leon, unfortunately I bought a white one so although it is clean it never has that deep shine you get from something with a decent colour depth. It’ll get this each weekend for two or three weeks and then the sealing wax will go on to hopefully make keeping it tidy an easier job.

Just washed and polished wifey’s Leon, unfortunately I bought a white one so although it is clean it never has that deep shine you get from something with a decent colour depth. It’ll get this each weekend for two or three weeks and then the sealing wax will go on to hopefully make keeping it tidy an easier job.

I found AG HD wax to be very good (and their new UHD wax is excellent) when I had a white motor. Got a very nice gloss to it.

Bilt Hamber DSW also gives a very nice glassy look on white...

Ta, any advice/ideas always welcome, tin I found in the dark corner my garage is turtle wax, god knows how old, solid wax in a tin like a giant shoe polish tin, hard work at the wrong temp.

Last edited:
Think it has been mentioned. I use FK1000p for this (as well as the paint) works well. Last time I did the wheels with it was probably last april and it still washes off with just the pressure washer pretty well. I do fairly low mileages admittedly.

Not only do you need to apply wheel sealant or wax, you need to keep on top of washing your wheels. I used to wash my car weekly. Wheels, when protected, usually just needed snowfoam, agitation with a brush and rinse with pressure washer. If I left it too long, the brake dust would be impossible to remove without stripping down again. Tar spots would never shift without extra work.

Never tried a ceramic coating for wheels though.

After years of saying I'll buy a blow dryer, and never actually getting around to it, I've finally had the chance to give 1, or rather 3, a try!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XQNYvI_yZ0

Do you guys use a blow dryer? If so, are you a home detailer or a pro? And if you do, does that mean you have ditched the drying towels altogether?

Forgive me, for I have sinned. It has been 6 months since I last washed the car....

About 6 months ago I was moving house and asked for some wax to protect the car because in the new house I need to park it on the drive. Well, I got some great recommendations, bought it, put it in a drawer and....moved house.

Then, life.

Yesterday I washed my Honda for the first time in months. It's been on the drive for about 5 months in sight of the sea (lovely salt air....) and with only the local seagulls for company. I drove the London twice in the last week and noticed it was a bit dirty afterwards :)

Yesterday I spent 45 mins (all I had) getting it clean. I had a hose, warmish water, some actual Turtle Wax shampoo off of the 90s and a bottle of very dubious looking "miracle wax" that I must have bought about 10 years ago (rub on and just hose off! No need to buff!!!).

I have to say that I was amazed. Wheels came up beautifully with just water and shampoo - perhaps all that C5 wheel armour I spent a couple of hours applying really does work. As for the paint....well let's just say 10 years ago was a really good time to buy miracle wax :) Not the depth of shine I see on pictures here but it doesn't look too bad for a neglected Honda ;)

Forgive me, for I have sinned. It has been 6 months since I last washed the car....

About 6 months ago I was moving house and asked for some wax to protect the car because in the new house I need to park it on the drive. Well, I got some great recommendations, bought it, put it in a drawer and....moved house.

Then, life.

Yesterday I washed my Honda for the first time in months. It's been on the drive for about 5 months in sight of the sea (lovely salt air....) and with only the local seagulls for company. I drove the London twice in the last week and noticed it was a bit dirty afterwards :)

Yesterday I spent 45 mins (all I had) getting it clean. I had a hose, warmish water, some actual Turtle Wax shampoo off of the 90s and a bottle of very dubious looking "miracle wax" that I must have bought about 10 years ago (rub on and just hose off! No need to buff!!!).

I have to say that I was amazed. Wheels came up beautifully with just water and shampoo - perhaps all that C5 wheel armour I spent a couple of hours applying really does work. As for the paint....well let's just say 10 years ago was a really good time to buy miracle wax :) Not the depth of shine I see on pictures here but it doesn't look too bad for a neglected Honda ;)

Hmm not sure you can be forgiven that easily, especially without photos :)

Just goes to show I think, that whilst yes thinks have improved - some very significantly, there is still some life and value in older stuff / what could be maybe classed as the cheaper / lower end of stuff ?

Anyone remember ‘Hot wax’ - going back 25+ years now I think :D

Where you (if memory serves correct) mixed in with hot water, applied to clean car with a sponge and then dried off ?

I've not read the entire thread, but from what I've read, I've not seen any mention of using a flexible squeegee blade for removing the final rinse water before drying?

My general approach is to initially rinse with a hose.
Use a microfibre mop with cold water for a quick once over.
Use a separate microfibre mop and separate bucket with Meguires Gold Class shampoo and warm water.
Rinse that off gently with the hose (as someone else mentioned, so the water sheets off).
Squeegee gently to remove most of the water quickly - using something like this. This makes drying much easier.
Finally dry with a large real chamois leather.

If waxing, I'll use Meguires liquid wax. Apply it, then leave to dry for 10 minutes.
Then buff it off with a clean Terry's nappy (available from the likes of Mothercare).

Rather old pic of clean car:

P1020395 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Washed both cars on Saturday, covering of Sahara desert on both this morning.... Both need wax and polish - the 18 year old Golf's bodywork still looks remarkably good even after living within the M25 all of the time..

I've not read the entire thread, but from what I've read, I've not seen any mention of using a flexible squeegee blade for removing the final rinse water before drying?

My general approach is to initially rinse with a hose.
Use a microfibre mop with cold water for a quick once over.
Use a separate microfibre mop and separate bucket with Meguires Gold Class shampoo and warm water.
Rinse that off gently with the hose (as someone else mentioned, so the water sheets off).
Squeegee gently to remove most of the water quickly - using something like this. This makes drying much easier.
Finally dry with a large real chamois leather.

If waxing, I'll use Meguires liquid wax. Apply it, then leave to dry for 10 minutes.
Then buff it off with a clean Terry's nappy (available from the likes of Mothercare).

Rather old pic of clean car:

P1020395 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Looking good :thumb:

What machine polisher do you use if you don't mind me asking? Apologies if you've already said.

I got some Gyeon Wetcoat and Meguiar's Ceramic wax last few weeks and I am a total convert. SOOoooooooo easy to put on for really really good protection.

Thanks, how's the risk with burning through clear coat and paint? My wife's car keeps getting carpet bombed and I'm sick of spot compounding and polishing by hand. It needs a whole going over but it's thin Japanese paint.
I use white hexlogic pads and megs #205 on my 2007 Civic and 2008 mx5. Its more of a finishing compound so ideal for jap paint. If you keep polishing there may be a risk of burning through but it would take some doing with the #205. I did full polish on the Civic a few years ago and just give it a tickle every couple of years now.
There is a trick with a heat gun for bird etchings if you YouTube it and are brave enough to try.

Last edited:
Back