WBMT.....What baffled me today

I had an email request from my energy suppliers
Please up date your meter readings by the 19th of Feb.

I did that today and once completed the page then said ..
We've recorded your meter readings, but won't use them to send you a bill at this stage.
We'll let you know when it's time for your next bill, and will ask you for your next meter readings then.

Baffling :rolleyes:

Depending on your tariff, the cynic in me reckons they would have bumped up your direct debit/charge if you were using more than expected. If you’re using less, you’ll be in “credit” which IIRC they can use as their money to invest/make profit, and return the owed amount to you at their convenience.

Depending on your tariff, the cynic in me reckons they would have bumped up your direct debit/charge if you were using more than expected.
Nothing has changed upwards. Nor any requests to up the payment.
and return the owed amount to you at their convenience.
Yeah I agree its a bit norty, when they only adjust downwards at yearly intervals. ( due in Oct. )

Last edited:
Did anyone else miss the notification that today is
use the wrong lane to turn left or right?
Seems I did the amount of people I saw doing it....

Unfortunately, not matter who a person is, there will be people who don't like them for some reason or other, be it jealousy, be it metal illness, be it small mindedness or whatever. Put yourself on social media and you can get a lot of attention, both good and bad, it's the price that's currently paid by those who put their heads over the parapet.

I'm not on Tw@tter, Farcebook or any of those social media 'look what I'm doing' type platforms to avoid all that mither and back-biting. The problem is that if someone becomes famous then they'll be talked about in the media, and it appears that there's currently no effective control over that where comments by anonymous individuals on social media are concerned - unlike a newspaper or TV production team who can be held accountable and sued for defamation, libel, harassment, etc. That's the reason I've never been keen to be famous, which means I can go to the supermarket in my gardening clothes without being pestered or accused of dressing like a vagrant by the press using photos some nosey prat has taken of me on their mobile phone!

Unfortunately there are always some who want to hurl abuse. No matter what the person or subject there'll always be some who'll disrupt if only for the fun of upsetting others. It's like kicking over a kids sandcastle on the beach... keying cars or any other mindless hurtful act, some just derive pleasure from hurting others.

I suppose I/we shouldn't be baffled, it is sadly just what we should expect.

Unfortunately, not matter who a person is, there will be people who don't like them for some reason or other, be it jealousy, be it metal illness, be it small mindedness or whatever. Put yourself on social media and you can get a lot of attention, both good and bad, it's the price that's currently paid by those who put their heads over the parapet.

I'm not on Tw@tter, Farcebook or any of those social media 'look what I'm doing' type platforms to avoid all that mither and back-biting. The problem is that if someone becomes famous then they'll be talked about in the media, and it appears that there's currently no effective control over that where comments by anonymous individuals on social media are concerned - unlike a newspaper or TV production team who can be held accountable and sued for defamation, libel, harassment, etc. That's the reason I've never been keen to be famous, which means I can go to the supermarket in my gardening clothes without being pestered or accused of dressing like a vagrant by the press using photos some nosey prat has taken of me on their mobile phone!
I hate social media having seen the harm it can do at a school where I worked as IT Manager . I have tried very hard to avoid using any of them but I gave up & created an account with Tw*tter just so I could get a response from a couple of big PLCs who no longer seemed to have a Customer Service email address.

I suppose nothing should surprise us these days...

Horrific trolling hidden from Sir Tom Moore.

The joys of social media.

There will always be those who have the mental ability and compassion of an ant, lacking any real abilities themselves, their only aim in life is to reduce the great, such as Sir Tom Moore, down to their own level. They are also cowardly and the so called social, actually antisocial, media provides them with a rock under which they can hide.

They are also cowardly and the so called social, actually antisocial, media provides them with a rock under which they can hide.

Exactly. This is one of the many reasons why I think social media is so anti-social and promotes far more negatives than positives in society - I hate it with a passion. Without the anonymity, these people would be castigated by their peers and in a lot of cases, get a good beating. I don't condone violence, but the fear of a punch in the mouth tends to mostly keep offensive ones shut. :punch:

Exactly. This is one of the many reasons why I think social media is so anti-social and promotes far more negatives than positives in society - I hate it with a passion. Without the anonymity, these people would be castigated by their peers and in a lot of cases, get a good beating. I don't condone violence, but the fear of a punch in the mouth tends to mostly keep offensive ones shut. :punch:

That sort of cowardly, social inadequate would just whisper it to others behind your back, not say it to your face.

Last edited:
There will always be those who have the mental ability and compassion of an ant, lacking any real abilities themselves, their only aim in life is to reduce the great, such as Sir Tom Moore, down to their own level. They are also cowardly and the so called social, actually antisocial, media provides them with a rock under which they can hide.

Agree. I can't imagine what someone would find to troll Captain Sir Tom about.

I saw an interview with his daughter where the trolling was discussed. I don't know if she wanted to raise it but if not, then perhaps the BBC could have avoided giving air time to such an action.

In a much more minor way a similar thing occurs on another forum I belong to. There are 'like' and 'dislike' buttons but they are anonymous. Sometimes a thread which is simply a question gets dislikes.

Dave

perhaps the BBC could have avoided giving air time to such an action.
In my opinion, the BBC have both a right and a duty to raise such matters, if only because they introduce very important issues regarding the limits of freedom.

Free speech implies that people have the right to say what they want. On a forum: "the moderators" and on news media: "the editors" are supposed to hold the ring and define what is acceptable and what is not. Not everyone will agree with their decisions and this leads us to the ancient question: "quis custodiet ipsos custodes".

I'm not sure that anyone has ever come up with an entirely satisfactory answer to that one. :wideyed:

Last edited:
You can't prove that I am now or ever have been a member of Handforth Parish Council! :naughty:

2 mins ago,
its chucking it down out there, Yankee doodle blaring out from an ice cream van..
Are they even allowed :thinking:

Well I suppose there is that ..
now, just the other, who buys ice cream in these temps and the wetness that seems to be on going..

I'm just watching Million Pound Pawn and someone is selling an SUV Lambo, fine... someone is interested but is trying to sort the finance and this is what baffles me.

I can understand people needing a car as life can be easier with one and can be difficult without one so I get why people need a car. A Hyundai Getz is a car (other reasonably priced cars are available) and I can understand someone needing one and even borrowing £1k / £2k or so to buy one but who needs an SUV Lambo? It's no doubt a nice car but more crucially who needs an SUV Lambo so desperately they'll struggle to take out finance and go into debt to get one?

I just can not understand people who go into debt to buy a car that goes beyond what's required for practicalities. I do know that life is short and we maybe only come this way once but going into any sort of significant debt for a prestige car just baffles me. Prestige cars don't baffle me and I've had some nice cars but nothing at the level of that SUV Lambo.

Years back I used to go to a car forum and a guy on there had a Porsche Cayman and a go fast BMW on credit and then lost his job. It always seems madness to me and every car I've ever bought has been paid for with cash. I know not everyone can do that and I know that (as above...) cars can be necessary and going into debt for one can be justifiable for practical reasons but for an SUV Lambo, Porsche or go fast BMW? Madness. IMVHO.

Last edited:
Small penis compensation syndrome?

I think it's at least party a status thing. People used to say "Keeping up with the Joneses" Is that still a thing?

I can think about the reasons but I just can't see myself ever going that way and inverse snobbery is nice sometimes too :D

"Oh, you have a Lambo? It cost £200k?"
"I got my Hyundai Getz for £1,500" :D

That works for me :D

I'm just watching Million Pound Pawn and someone is selling an SUV Lambo, fine... someone is interested but is trying to sort the finance and this is what baffles me.

I can understand people needing a car as life can be easier with one and can be difficult without one so I get why people need a car. A Hyundai Getz is a car (other reasonably priced cars are available) and I can understand someone needing one and even borrowing £1k / £2k or so to buy one but who needs an SUV Lambo? It's no doubt a nice car but more crucially who needs an SUV Lambo so desperately they'll struggle to take out finance and go into debt to get one?

I just can not understand people who go into debt to buy a car that goes beyond what's required for practicalities. I do know that life is short and we maybe only come this way once but going into any sort of significant debt for a prestige car just baffles me. Prestige cars don't baffle me and I've had some nice cars but nothing at the level of that SUV Lambo.

Years back I used to go to a car forum and a guy on there had a Porsche Cayman and a go fast BMW on credit and then lost his job. It always seems madness to me and every car I've ever bought has been paid for with cash. I know not everyone can do that and I know that (as above...) cars can be necessary and going into debt for one can be justifiable for practical reasons but for an SUV Lambo, Porsche or go fast BMW? Madness. IMVHO.

Yes agree it’s mad getting into that sort of debt for a car but I guess everyone is different and maybe it’s their dream
for me though a car is a tool and wouldn’t buy something like that even if I could afford it
Motorbikes though that’s different I have several bikes even though I can only ride one at a time !

Reactions: Nod
I can see the appeal of a nice car, I like cars but luckily for me I like small British style open two seaters, like MG's, etc, and they tend to be more affordable. The most expensive car I've ever had was a Porsche Boxster but to be honest it was a disappointment as the feel and handling just weren't there, I prefer MX5's. The most enjoyable car to drive I've ever had was a Lotus Elise although that had issues which made MX5's more attractive and I have an MX5 at the mo.

I do think that some people buy cars not for practicality or the driving experience but for the badge and kudos.

I guess it depends on the car and some people want to own some cars even for just a short while. If the Lambo is selling for well below book price, it could be that he can buy the car have the pleasure of owning it for a year, then sell it on for a profit. Even if the finance means it ultimately costs him money, it isn't always about the money, it is about the enjoyment the vehicle brings.
On a car forum I frequent, there is a bloke who currently has 3 Ford RS cars, a Sierra Cosworth, a Focus RS500 and his most recent a Focus RS Heritage, plus a 2018 Bullitt Ford Mustang he bought all 4 cars new.
In 2017 Ford unveiled the Ford GT supercar. Not everyone can buy one and all applications to buy one are vetted and there is certain things looked at before the allocation is even offered. His enthusiasm for Ford cars and ownership of his 4 performance Fords meant he has been offered a car. A car which costs £400k+ and money he would need to finance.
There is a clause in the sale that you can't sell the car within 2yrs, if you have to sell it within 2yrs, you can only sell it back to Ford. But because their is a list of people hoping for the opportunity to buy the car, they sell for at least double their original selling price.
So sometimes it can be worthwhile, especially if you want something that badly and prepared to work at it to make it a reality.

Looked at like that it's maybe not so bad. I've never bought a car and been tempted to sell it for profit but I do know that my Elise and Boxster were worth more than I paid for them for a while as I got my orders in early.

I am just baffled by people taking on debt for things that aren't necessarily necessary.... If talking enjoyment rather than practicality and needs it's open two seater cars that interest me most and I do tend to ignore the badge and IMO as a lifelong car and driving fan price doesn't necessarily relate well to the driving experience. It can relate to speed as cheap cars are maybe not capable of 200mph + whilst expensive ones may be :D but for a driving experience I'd take an Elise or even an MX5 or other MG type car over a Porsche level car or even a super car every single time as they're fun at road legal speeds in the UK when the more expensive Porsches and maybe even supercars too are arguably relatively... arguably... boring or even maybe actually tedious :D

Some people regard car ownership as a hobby, for others its a necessary evil & part of life, especially in areas that are not well served by public transport. I suspect I am somewhere in between.

I change my car regularly and have no particular brand loyalty. I spend what I can afford to, sometimes paying cash, on occasion finance/bank loan depending upon interest rates. My current car is on a PCP, I am not sure if I will buy it at the end of the lease or change again when the lease reaches term.

As my annual mileage has dropped off a cliff since retiring I would struggle to justify owning the sort of cars I used to have, such as Volvo estates, BMW SUVs & family sized convertibles. I have a 2.0 Mini Cooper S convertible at present because it is small, great fun to drive & is reasonably comfortable and allows me to indulge in sunshine motoring. Before I got the Mini I had considered a Fiat Spyder, MX5 & Boxter but the Mini gave me the means to take our granddaughter out in it with the roof down, something I could not do with the other candidates.

I did 2,200 miles between MoT's, 2k in my Hyundai Getz which gets used for necessities and only 200 in my MX5 which gets used for fun. I don't know how far I walked, quite a long way I'd guess :D

I don't want to appear a killjoy or funsucker or to appear to say that prestige cars are only for those who can afford them. I do enjoy cars and driving but I'm not going to be in a situation in which I'm "trying" to arrange finance as that sounds like it's a bit on or past the limit of the potential buyer, a bit of a stretch. For a practical car, yes, I'm lucky enough not to have to take on finance for a car that I need or want and I'd agree that others may need to get a car they need on finance but for something that looks to be more of a prestige purchase rather than a necessity purchase? No, that's not for me.

Last edited:
When I started my current job with Ford 7.5yrs ago, we were shown a picture of the mk3 Focus RS. There's been a few RS Fords I would have liked to have owned over the years but never had the money. As soon as I saw that picture I knew it was the car for me, but wouldn't be available for at least 2.5yrs. In 2014, about 8 months after I started my new role, I bought a year old Focus ST.
A couple of years later the Focus RS was available to order, but on cars like that, Ford don't offer employee discount initially, so I just waited and I waited, cars were being sold at full list price with no discount to anyone, dealers had a demonstrator, but they couldn't order a showroom display model, even if they did get one, there would be a queue of people desperate to buy one and not have to wait up to 6 months if they ordered one from the factory. Just over a year later, because of the UK demand for the car, they took another countries build allocations and soon dealers were able to have cars in stock. In September 2017, the dealership had a few Focus RS that they had for in stock for 2-3 months and with more coming in they wanted to move these cars on, so they offered £1k discount. I had already been pricing up exactly what colour and spec I wanted, but with still no sign of employee discount being introduced and knowing production would be ending the following year because the mk4 Focus would be in production, I decided to go into the dealership to see what they had in stock or possibly order my own to be built.
They had 7 cars in stock they wanted to clear, but only 2 in black, which is the colour I wanted. One was a basic spec car, no extras, but the other, which happened to be the one on display in the showroom, was fully loaded with all possible options fitted. I wasn't going to order a sunroof or heated steering wheel, which were the only two items over my chosen spec. If I ordered my spec, I would have had to pay full price and I would have been paying more than the price of the car in front of me. Plus as production was ending the following year and limited production models that they were committed to build in that time, there was no guarantee that they would be able to fulfill my order. So I took the plunge and bought the showroom model.
Having had the Focus ST which was bright red, other than the colour change and front looking different plus different seats, my wife thought I was mad for paying out an extra £24k on what to her was an identical car. But to me the differences are night and day. 3.5 years later, the car still puts a smile on my face, a month after buying the car, Ford employee discount finally started and I could have saved about £4k but the value in the enjoyment I had already had in that month far outweighed the money I could have saved. The car is just as happy being used as a tool like any other car, but it has the ability to be so much more than being just that.
For me it's just money well spent. Even if I had needed to borrow money to buy it, it would still have been worthwhile.
Roll on for lockdown to be lifted and I can go for a longer drive in it and the smile can grow even bigger.
If a car is a status symbol, it's not the car for me. I would love an Aston Martin, not because it is a status symbol, but because of how they look and what they can do.

I did 2,200 miles between MoT's, 2k in my Hyundai Getz which gets used for necessities and only 200 in my MX5 which gets used for fun. I don't know how far I walked, quite a long way I'd guess :D
You say the MX5 gets used for fun, but at just 200 miles between MOT's that just looks like you don't get much fun. Many people won't get why you bother having the MX5, but for you, you know it's there when you can have some fun. It's not really any different to people who own supercar, highly unlikely it will be their only car, but it's there when they want to have fun. As I said earlier I love driving my car, it puts a smile on my face everytime, even just sitting in the car. Yet there are people with the same car as me but older and they haven't even put 2k miles on their cars in 5yrs and I thought mine was low mileage at less than 22k miles in 3.5yrs. It's a great drivers car, so I can't understand why they wouldn't want to drive it as often as possible, especially as it is a good all rounder and can be used as an everyday family hatchback, or go out and have a bit of fun in it.

The council have put signs out advising people that the pavement opposite us will be dug up tomorrow and there will be no parking there. We have a parking area at the back of us which had a few empty spaces, so my wife moved her car from the road to ensure she would have a space. Yet other neighbours have been out today, come back and parked in the road again even though there was still a couple of empty spaces at the back of us. They obviously haven't twinges come the morning when they have to move their cars, they aren't likely to have anywhere to park.

You say the MX5 gets used for fun, but at just 200 miles between MOT's that just looks like you don't get much fun. Many people won't get why you bother having the MX5, but for you, you know it's there when you can have some fun. It's not really any different to people who own supercar, highly unlikely it will be their only car, but it's there when they want to have fun. As I said earlier I love driving my car, it puts a smile on my face everytime, even just sitting in the car. Yet there are people with the same car as me but older and they haven't even put 2k miles on their cars in 5yrs and I thought mine was low mileage at less than 22k miles in 3.5yrs. It's a great drivers car, so I can't understand why they wouldn't want to drive it as often as possible, especially as it is a good all rounder and can be used as an everyday family hatchback, or go out and have a bit of fun in it.

Although it may not look like it as I'm on here a lot I'm quite busy and tied to the house a lot so I don't get much time to go out in a car for pleasure. Often a drive to the seaside for an hour or so every now and again is all I can manage and those now and again trips are what's racked up the 200 miles. Of course going out in an MX5 in the rain is pretty pointless so 200 miles in a year is actually a fair percentage of the northern sunny days on which I have the time to get out for a bit in a car considering the seaside is only 6 to 9 miles drive away depending on where I head for.

My bafflement isn't at people buying nice cars or even people going into debt because they need a car it's at people trying to get finance to buy a £200k used Lambo SUV. If I fancied a really nice car I'd go for a used Range Rover or similar or a Jag or an Aston or even a new Jag, Porsche or Merc at a fraction of the price of that £200k Lambo. Each to their own but going into any significant debt for a car just isn't on my radar :D

If road maintenance continues at its current level, wheeled transport will have to be replaced by hovercraft anyway... :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Sky
Back