WBMT.....What baffled me today

Funny how councils always have enough tarmac to put in speed bumps, but struggle to repair the potholes.
Further to my posts about the council digging up the pavements on our road, removing the paving slabs with tarmac, they are also replacing all the kerb stones.
I am baffled by the fact that they are currently digging up perfectly good pavement and kerbing, The only damaged and uneven pavement is on our side of the road on just a short stretch where delivery van drivers keep parking on the pavement. There's other roads in the area with damaged pavements that people keep reporting, yet the council have been ignoring those. I can only assume a councillor or they have family members living down our road.

Just recieved a telephone call from the council, didn't recognise the number (they are probably working from home) so let it go to answerphone. Apparently someone has reported that we have an overflow that has been leaking for some time from the end of our property and could we get a plumber to fix it. Very odd as we live in a flat, we don't have an end wall to our property and all the flats have their overflows on the front wall. Being on the ground floor all our overflows have pipework taking any overflow straight to drains, just been out the front and there is no sign of any leaks of any sort from the flats in our block or the adjoining block next door.

They obviously haven't twinges come the morning
They are the lucky ones I assume they use voltarol when they turn in for the night ?

They are the lucky ones I assume they use voltarol when they turn in for the night ?
My autocorrect is doing some odd things of late. I haven't a clue how it has changed thought to twinge. It keeps changing vans to Van's too.

My autocorrect is doing some odd things of late. I haven't a clue how it has changed thought to twinge. It keeps changing vans to Van's too.
I get that sometimes, I'm damned sure I don't text you ducking idiot :thinking:

The only damaged and uneven pavement is on our side of the road on just a short stretch where delivery van drivers keep parking on the pavement.
It seems to me that the cure is a row of bollards along the edge of the pavement. :naughty:

It seems to me that the cure is a row of bollards along the edge of the pavement. :naughty:
There are some concrete bollards, but they are just at the ends of the pavement and on the edge of the grass next to the pavement instead of next to the road.
Half the time the van drivers don't need to pull up on the pavement, there is often room, during the day, to park on the opposite side of the road next to the kerb.

Some appointments really are baffling and here's a high profile recent one.

Rabbi Yossi Teitelbaum (Stamford Hill) has been put in charge of Covid co-ordination by the Orthodox Jewish community's main umbrella group, the Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregation..(UOHC). Why would this raise eyebrows ? Well, he's not exactly been the purveyor of messages encouraging compliance with covid rules. He produced and delivered leaflets to thousands of members encouraging them to 'invite as many guests as one likes to educational and religious gatherings and work meetings'. He wrote.."before we were in Tier 4, we assisted an event to take place with approximately 700 guests and that event was approved by the police,the council and was fully Covid compliant with all legal risk assessments, and precautions.There were no new cases arising from the event'..he said.. The event on December 7th was, technically, allowed under Tier 2 restrictions in force at that time but the Covid rules never allowed more than 30 guests to attend a wedding.

Researchers at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine have found that the strict Orthodox Jewish, or Heridi community, has an infection rate of at least 64%..nine times higher than the UK average of seven percent.

Adam Wagner, a barrister who has advised the government's committee on its human rights Covid-19 inquiry, said that Teitelbaum's appointment was 'irresponsible and that it was wrong and he should not be given a position of responsibility advising the congregation'.

Why not just say fill the damned form in or you will go to jail and your eldest child will be sold into slavery ( given a job at McD's) ?

From today on wards, residents will be invited to take part in the Census 2021.

It is compulsory to take part in the census.
Those who do not complete their census questionnaire could face prosecution, a fine (up to £1000), and a criminal record.

Why not just say fill the damned form in or you will go to jail and your eldest child will be sold into slavery ( given a job at McD's) ?

From today on wards, residents will be invited to take part in the Census 2021.

It is compulsory to take part in the census.
Those who do not complete their census questionnaire could face prosecution, a fine (up to £1000), and a criminal record.
Because we are still a polite society and how we say things matters.

When I was still working, I always gave instructions as a request. That mostly worked well and only rarely did I have to rephrase "would you please go to Despatch and help out" to "sorry, I meant: get your hairy arse down to Despatch right now and work your socks off on Line 2."

Because we are still a polite society and how we say things matters.
Part of a conversation, between a relative and their Polish boss, went like this,
The trouble with you Brits is that you are too f*****g polite especially when you want something.

I have always seen his point on that ;)

Part of a conversation, between a relative and their Polish boss,
I once worked with a Lithuanian chap who was very polite and friendly, except about Poles. "Poles are very trustworthy", he told me, "You can trust a Pole to seduce your sister, steal your pigs and never, ever, pay you what he owes you".

Given that the two countries were joined in the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth for a few hundred years, it sounds very much like the relationship between the nations that share our own little island. :naughty:

Had a parcel delivered by Hermes yesterday, my neighbour took it from the driver and left it on the door mat around midday
I'd been out most of the morning so never went out again, she hadn't heard me come back
Mid afternoon she tapped the door to tell me it was there
The tracking is still showing it out for delivery !!!

I've just had an email off Mrs WW asking me to get a pack of butter out for her.

She's only upstairs. If she said "Get a pack of butter out will you" I'd hear her. Actually, why not come down and take it out herself? Ah, the wonders of women who have smartphones glued to them 24/7 :D

I've just had an email off Mrs WW asking me to get a pack of butter out for her.

She's only upstairs. If she said "Get a pack of butter out will you" I'd hear her. Actually, why not come down and take it out herself? Ah, the wonders of women who have smartphones glued to them 24/7 :D
She must have known you'd be glued to something to have got the email though. ;)

She must have known you'd be glued to something to have got the email though. ;)

Usually she emails lists of things she wants me to buy, usually concoctions made in China that'll take 3 months to arrive if at all from dubious companies and individuals. She seems to have a phobia about buying stuff online herself so just tasks me with it which is just as well as identical concoctions (strange hair soaps, colourings and facial washes and the like) can usually be sourced from more well known shops and sites, usually cheaper and usually within a week.

In her defence I think she gets these ideas off Thai social madia as ads pop up all the time while she's chatting to her family and mates.

Last edited:
On FB I have seen ads from a company offering celeb greetings, like a 2 min video clip saying happy birthday or something.

My brother in law had one from Jay Inbetweener (may have been through a friend rather than a purchase) and was brilliant... but baffled as to why some of the celebs are on there! Most are the Z listers or people I have not heard of (Duncan James, Blue or Ewan McIntosh, Office) but one was Sven the ex England maanger. Now he had many years earning millions per year, so why is he hawing out video clips at 50 a pop?

On FB I have seen ads from a company offering celeb greetings, like a 2 min video clip saying happy birthday or something.

My brother in law had one from Jay Inbetweener (may have been through a friend rather than a purchase) and was brilliant... but baffled as to why some of the celebs are on there! Most are the Z listers or people I have not heard of (Duncan James, Blue or Ewan McIntosh, Office) but one was Sven the ex England maanger. Now he had many years earning millions per year, so why is he hawing out video clips at 50 a pop?
Just as much as it puts money in his pocket, imagine the joy it brings to someone receiving a personal message. If he doesn't need the money he could just as easily be donating his earnings to charity.
Slightly different, but I follow Steve Hackett (ex Genesis guitarist) on Facebook, he obviously can't tour at the moment, but he has just hand written and signed 50 copies of lyrics to one of songs and sold them to raise money for his road crew. I am gutted, I missed out and they are all sold out, my sister is a big fan and it would have made a great present for her birthday.

There is only one supermarket locally that charges a quid in the slot to get a trolley
Obviously that's refunded when the trolley is returned.

Recently I've seen an increase of abandoned trolleys there.
Unfortunately no quids to be collected, it seems that some people have figured out a way of recovering the £1 without returning the trolley ..
The lengths some people go to be lazy, can be quite baffling.

I've seen groups of kids hanging around and swooping on abandoned trolleys; they have (home made?/stolen?) quid recovery tools to save on having to run back to the bays.
Shoppers take advantage of the quidless trolleys, but then have no incentive to take them back to the bays, so they stay scattered around the car park until the supermarket guy can be bothered to round 'em all up.

There is only one supermarket locally that charges a quid in the slot to get a trolley

Recently I've seen an increase of abandoned trolleys there.
Unfortunately no quids to be collected, it seems that some people have figured out a way of recovering the £1 without returning the trolley ..
The lengths some people go to be lazy, can be quite baffling.
You'd be surprised at the number of people who forget to retrieve the £1 and just drive off leaving the trolley anywhere in the car park. Quite often find a trolley not clipped into the next, so no coin or token required.

Quite often find a trolley not clipped into the next, so no coin or token required.
These are just scattered around, in the trolley station they are all linked.

We have had problems in the past where supermarket trolleys have been dropped from bridges onto cars passing below....... Years ago I had a brick dropped on my car from a bridge, it landed on the bonnet, rolled up the windscreen and off the side of the roof. A couple of seconds later and it would have gone through the windscreen which was toughened, not laminated as they tend to be nowadays.

Fortunately didn't cost me anything to repair as it was a company car. I am very wary now when passing under any bridge where I see people standing there.

I am very wary now when passing under any bridge where I see people standing there.

It was in the mid-seventies when I saw this happen for the first time (not to me thankfully), but ever since I have always changed lanes if I see anyone standing on a bridge. :shifty:

Annoyingly, my local Tescos have started using trolleys with pound coin slots. I don’t carry cash including coins on me and in this current pandemic surely you’d want to minimise transmission/cash use?

I’ve always returned trolleys to the storage areas. It’s an extra 10 seconds of my time but just common courtesy for everyone.

Annoyingly, my local Tescos have started using trolleys with pound coin slots. I don’t carry cash including coins on me and in this current pandemic surely you’d want to minimise transmission/cash use?

I’ve always returned trolleys to the storage areas. It’s an extra 10 seconds of my time but just common courtesy for everyone.
If you need a trolley and have no change they can give you a plastic disc which works in place of a pound coin.
Just ask at the customer service desk.

Same here - really annoys me. Often dont have £1.

The M&S I go to has not used the mechanism since Covid, mind you, when they did I just used the Asda trolleys which were less than a 10 second walk and had no mechanism!

I just use a shopping trolley token. I have two that came with the key fobs for my previous car, another two with the current car, plus loads more from goody bags dished out at BTCC race meetings. It's not uncommon to find metal or plastic tokens in or around the trolley parking areas in the car park, sometimes you can even find a £1 coin. I always keep a small bottle of hand sanitiser in my pocket, which I apply liberally to my hands before touching the trolley, plus they provide more sanitiser and wipes as you enter the store and again just inside the store.

Fair point (y) My Tesco has never charged all the years its been there, though

Me also, its just plain courtesy. There are even multiple trolley "parks" ( its a big place) although there is a guy at Tesco collecting trolley's,
I guess the lazy ones think they are keeping him employed?
Just ask at the customer service desk.
That's take an hour at mine most times, massive queues and the people behind the counter nattering :rolleyes:
I just I keep an old £1 ( I forgot to spend it :D ) in a "slot" in my car, solely for the purpose.

One does not frequent such places now.

One has a man from the said purveyors of groceries to deliver one's comestibles.

Dave

Did you reply by email, or just shout back “Do it yourself”?

Last edited:
The M&S I go to has not used the mechanism since
Our M&S has always used coin operated trolleys.

I always keep a small bottle of hand sanitiser in my pocket, which I apply liberally to my hands before touching the trolley, plus they provide more sanitiser and wipes as you enter the store and again just inside the store.
I will thoroughly wipe down my trolley using the J-cloths and disinfectant spray. As someone who used to be an avid detailer, it does take me a few minutes. I like going to waitrose (for specific ingredients) and they clean the trolleys for you.

Something Mrs WW does has baffled me for ages.

She watches TV with the sound quite low, so low that you have to listen really intently. That's fair enough if you have very good hearing but apparently she doesn't as she keeps asking me "What did he say?" My reply should be "I don't know. Why don't you turn the sound up?" but so far I've stubbornly resisted.

Maybe she's baffled that I haven't said it yet. Maybe it's just a battle of wills now :D

Back