WBMT.....What baffled me today

Last night, in the supermarket car park, I see two guys in a mini carefully manoeuvring their vehicle into one of the covered trolley bays (very much like the one below)
trolley_bay.jpg
As I approached, I remember thinking they wouldn't be able to get the doors open while parked in there.
They seemed to be looking around in puzzlement, before reversing out.
The passenger then wound down his window and called over to me,"Excuse me... Is this a car wash?" Wut.gif

"Yes, it is. Just wait in your car for an attendant to come and see what service you want."

Last night, in the supermarket car park, I see two guys in a mini carefully manoeuvring their vehicle into one of the covered trolley bays (very much like the one below)
View attachment 306112
As I approached, I remember thinking they wouldn't be able to get the doors open while parked in there.
They seemed to be looking around in puzzlement, before reversing out.
The passenger then wound down his window and called over to me,"Excuse me... Is this a car wash?" View attachment 306113

Nooooo! :D Really???? :D

Such Fun :D

I'd have guessed they did it just to take a picture.

Well there's always the possibility it was tictoc pranksters after material...

No chance - too far North! The sitting (well, lying) tenant wouldn't bother me in the slightest (and within reason, relatives wishing to pay their occasional respects would be OK too.)

Yup.

He obviously loved the place and if there's a "presence" I doubt very much it'd mean anyone any ill will. Just the opposite maybe.

Only if you crept in in the middle of the night and installed it.

Twice this week I over took 2 different vehicles on a long straight, both were doing 40 mph in a 60.
Both sounded their horns as I passed, and both flashed their lights once I pulled back in.
a) either this is a new greeting that I am unaware of
b) I missed the updated highway code that says you must not over take dawdlers.
:thinking:

Twice this week I over took 2 different vehicles on a long straight, both were doing 40 mph in a 60.
Both sounded their horns as I passed, and both flashed their lights once I pulled back in.

Usually they're members of the flat cap appreciation society.

Were you driving a car or a van?

Were you driving a car or a van?
Not sure that makes any difference?, a small van and no they weren't flashing me back in either

Probably of the same ilk as those who have posted 20 signs (on A4 paper) and cable tied them to lamp-posts near here.

Not sure that makes any difference?, a small van and no they weren't flashing me back in either
Its just that vans are classed as commercial vehicles and are subject to 50mph limit on A roads.
your vehicle registration document should tell you it’s classification

Last edited by a moderator:
Its just that vans are classed as commercial vehicles and are subject to 50mph limit on A roads.
your vehicle registration document should tell you it’s classification.
Still doesn't make any difference as he Would still be permitted to overtake someone travelling at 40mph in a 60 zone....

Last edited:
Maybe you woke them up and they got a fright.... :LOL:

your vehicle registration document should tell you it’s classification
Having driven just about every class of vehicle allowed on the road, over the years I am fully aware of that.
I said Small van. car derived vans are governed by the same speed restriction laws as cars
and I wonder if your average Joe knows that the larger vans have restricted speeds anyway.
Not many I guess inc. the drivers ;)

Last edited:
Having driven just about every class of vehicle allowed on the road, over the years I am fully aware of that.
I said Small van. car derived vans are governed by the same speed restriction laws as cars
and I wonder if your average Joe knows that the larger vans have restricted speeds anyway.
Not many I guess inc. the drivers ;)

Thanks. I had a feeling that you would know, just that in your advancing years you might have forgotten. Anyway, I'm pleased to have helped. :)

It seems my water usage is up 20%.
I've no idea how that could be, but nonetheless my bill is up 33%
Who worked this out? Diane Abbot ?

• Haha
Reactions: Sky
Our water company (metered supply) charges for fresh water usage & then charges a different rate to treat the same volume of waste water, could that be the reason the bill went up 33% ?

As for reasons your water usage went up.... we had a leak from the fluidmaster flush valve in the toilet cistern, allowing a continuous slight dribble of water........

Last edited:
I read a while back that water saving cistern valves, due to their design and construction, often leak constantly in a way that the old syphon valves couldn't. As a result, they actually waste more water than they were intended to save.

Our water company (metered supply) charges for fresh water usage & then charges a different rate to treat the same volume of waste water, could that be the reason the bill went up 33% ?
Metered supply here also. What I also find curious that my bill has been decreasing for the last 3 years ( when I switched to metered supply)
I guess they feel its time to recover most of the rebates I've had over the last 3 years :D

As for reasons your water usage went up.... we had a leak from the fluidmaster flush valve in the toilet cistern, allowing a continuous slight dribble of water.......
No such leaks no dripping taps
There was a few posts on my local hub page, its seems I'm not the only one that is baffled by the increase...
(Anglia Water)

I read a while back that water saving cistern valves, due to their design and construction, often leak constantly in a way that the old syphon valves couldn't. As a result, they actually waste more water than they were intended to save.
Yes I have heard that too.

Our water company was handing out small dye tablets, pop one in the cistern & wait & watch. leaks show up blue. I would imagine any water soluble food colouring would do the same trick. Replacing the fluidmaster seal is a 5 minute job.

MiL has a loo with a small "water saving" cistern. Almost always takes 2 or more flushes to clear a wee and paper (apparently) and it's built in to a cabinet that won't accept a larger cistern. Adjusted the valve to just below the overflow but still not ideal.

This often baffles me.
The prime minister comes out of No.10 to get into his limo to go to parliament.
One of the pack of facing reporters shouts “Are you going to ? Prime minister......whatever the topic of the day is.
I don’t understand why they do this. He is not going to stop and answer questions, is it just to make TV journalists look clever?
Not just the current PM. They have been doing this for years.

This often baffles me.
One of the pack of facing reporters shouts “Are you going to ? Prime minister......whatever the topic of the day is.
I don’t understand why they do this. He is not going to stop and answer questions, is it just to make TV journalists look clever?

This reminded me of my bafflement at the unnecessary TV reports from Downing Street. For example, I know who Laura Kuenssberg is and what her job is. I don't need to see her in front of number 10 to alert me to the fact she will be commentating on some political event. She and other political reporters could give their report with as much authority if they were in a studio.

Dave

It won't happen but wouldn't it be great if the PM popped across the road and said to waiting reporters, "Sorry I can't stop I'm just off to sack the Chancellor"

This often baffles me.

I thought exactly the same thing when I watched the news the other day...forget which day it was. Now and again you'll hear "Are you going to resign Prime Minister ? " I don't think they should be given access to Downing street unless a statement is going to be made. I also thought that I'd never have made a regular journalist let alone Paparazzi.

Mrs WW is an intelligent woman, educated to degree level, held a responsible job with hundreds of people under her... etc...

But I just can not understand her thinking on C19.

She was chosen at random for a study and received a home test kit which has just been collected. This lead to a conversation and I was baffled by her. I said I hope it comes back positive as if she's had it we've probably all had it and not noticed. She hopes she hasn't had it. This baffled me as my thinking is that if we've had it and not noticed that's great as it possibly means we're not going to get seriously ill or die of C19. She also had to complete and on line questionnaire and one question was would she have the vaccination if offered... and she hesitated and didn't really want to say yes but she did say yes when I said she was insane if she didn't want the jab.

I just don't understand her. I'll have the vaccination as soon as I'm offered it.

The whole ant vaccination and vaccination conspiracy world baffles me. They may be right, I may be wrong.

Mrs WW is an intelligent woman, educated to degree level, held a responsible job with hundreds of people under her... etc...

But I just can not understand her thinking on C19.

She was chosen at random for a study and received a home test kit which has just been collected. This lead to a conversation and I was baffled by her. I said I hope it comes back positive as if she's had it we've probably all had it and not noticed. She hopes she hasn't had it. This baffled me as my thinking is that if we've had it and not noticed that's great as it possibly means we're not going to get seriously ill or die of C19. She also had to complete and on line questionnaire and one question was would she have the vaccination if offered... and she hesitated and didn't really want to say yes but she did say yes when I said she was insane if she didn't want the jab.

I just don't understand her. I'll have the vaccination as soon as I'm offered it.

The whole ant vaccination and vaccination conspiracy world baffles me. They may be right, I may be wrong.
The daughter of a foreman at work had covid, possibly back in March, she didn't know it until, just before Christmas, she was having trouble sleeping and tiredness during the day, which she assumed was down to the shift work she does in a hospital. One of the doctors noticed she was looking tired and had slight trouble walking. They found her oxygen levels were low and admitted her immediately. She now has long covid with scarring on her lungs, she was in hospital all over Christmas and although her oxygen level is improved, she is still having trouble breathing.

As for the antivax brigade, my sister in law does like to post links to newspaper stories on Facebook, yesterday's was that 143 people have died in the UK since having the vaccine. I don't know if there is any truth to it, but the article does go on to say that all of them were old or had other illnesses and would have probably died anyway, it's thought there is no connection to the vaccine.
My sister in law will probably be thinking there is a connection.
I would have thought my sister in law would be pro vaccine as her youngest daughter has to shield due to a condition she was born with and required an operation at just a few months old.
Today's item she posted on Facebook was about councils knocking on peoples doors to ask if someone has declined to have the vaccine and if so, what was the reason?
My father in laws response was, What can they do to do if your not a council tenant?
If it is true it is only a survey, but I think he has it in his head councils will be evicting tenants or something.
My father in law has never been the sharpest tool in the shed, but even this is a howler by his normal standard.

At no point during my dreams (&nightmares) over the last year have I any recollection of having 'worn' or dreamt I saw anyone wearing a mask.......or worried about social distancing.

During my waking hours when I am out & about masks & social distancing are at the forefront of my thoughts & actions......

Curious?

At no point during my dreams (&nightmares) over the last year have I any recollection of having 'worn' or dreamt I saw anyone wearing a mask.......or worried about social distancing.

During my waking hours when I am out & about masks & social distancing are at the forefront of my thoughts & actions......

Curious?

That's an odd and very interesting point.

I haven't been sleeping well recently but have had some very vivid dreams and the pandemic is nowhere in sight.

How odd. You'd think that pandemic thoughts would be in there somewhere and come out in our dreams.

As for the antivax brigade, my sister in law does like to post links to newspaper stories on Facebook, yesterday's was that 143 people have died in the UK since having the vaccine. I don't know if there is any truth to it, but the article does go on to say that all of them were old or had other illnesses and would have probably died anyway, it's thought there is no connection to the vaccine.

There was something in the media within the last few days claiming x million vaccinated in the UK and zero deaths. I'd believe that although one spokesman did talk about people who've suffered serious anaphylactic shock at some time and the implications for vaccination but as that's not me or anyone I now I didn't listen too closely and can't remember what he said.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to log on for two days. After a few tries..capital first letter then lower case.. still no access and I was eventually locked out. I've Just tried again and still no joy so had to get a new password. Normally, I just click on the auto log-in..ie 'password with this name' option. This happened after my usual iMac clean 'clear history' which on an iMac also clears cookies which I wanted to do as well. Anyone any idea why this happened ?

I haven't been able to log on for two days. After a few tries..capital first letter then lower case.. still no access and I was eventually locked out. I've Just tried again and still no joy so had to get a new password. Normally, I just click on the auto log-in..ie 'password with this name' option. This happened after my usual iMac clean 'clear history' which on an iMac also clears cookies which I wanted to do as well. Anyone any idea why this happened ?
You didn't miss much, the whole form was down.

See here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/managed-to-login.721497/

Back