WBMT.....What baffled me today

You let Mrs WW have control of the remote? Weirdo!!! :p

You let Mrs WW have control of the remote? Weirdo!!! :p

I mostly don't care what's on TV.

I like to watch a film (movie) but apart from that.... who cares.

She may have control of it but she does hand it to me, when it needs new batteries.

Our M&S has always used coin operated trolleys.

I will thoroughly wipe down my trolley using the J-cloths and disinfectant spray. As someone who used to be an avid detailer, it does take me a few minutes. I like going to waitrose (for specific ingredients) and they clean the trolleys for you.
I would just carry disposable gloves and save time.

We used to have two remote controls, one each when we had a Sky HD box. Our Sky Q box (which uses bluetooth for remote control) only supports one handset (as far as I am aware) so I have relinquished control of it apart from when the 'stupid' box doesn't do what it is supposed to do.......

Something Mrs WW does has baffled me for ages.

She watches TV with the sound quite low, so low that you have to listen really intently. That's fair enough if you have very good hearing but apparently she doesn't as she keeps asking me "What did he say?" My reply should be "I don't know. Why don't you turn the sound up?" but so far I've stubbornly resisted.

Maybe she's baffled that I haven't said it yet. Maybe it's just a battle of wills now :D
Turn on the subtitles.

We were watching Danish? crime series with subtitles when I asked herself to turn up the sound, the look was enough to silence me. I just like to hear sound from the telly.

Something Mrs WW does has baffled me for ages.

She watches TV with the sound quite low, so low that you have to listen really intently. That's fair enough if you have very good hearing but apparently she doesn't as she keeps asking me "What did he say?" My reply should be "I don't know. Why don't you turn the sound up?" but so far I've stubbornly resisted.

Maybe she's baffled that I haven't said it yet. Maybe it's just a battle of wills now :D
Maybe she doesn't know which buttons control the volume and won't admit it?

Turn on the subtitles.

We were watching Danish? crime series with subtitles when I asked herself to turn up the sound, the look was enough to silence me. I just like to hear sound from the telly.

Going off topic... but I always think watching a foreign film in native language and subtitles (Das Boot comes to mind) is far better than an English version.

Certain words seem to be universal, one starts F and ends K, there are more.

£125 for a mixer bowl!!! :eek:

Dad bought mum a Kitchenaid food mixer for her birthday (£600!) but it came with a metal bowl. She rang me up asking If I could order the glass one from Amazon for her as it was the only place that had one in stock. Nearly fell off my chair when I saw the price!

Keep an eye on places like Lakeland, they sometimes have had the glass bowls in their sale - that's why we have one! IIRC, it was £60 or so a few years back (less than 8). FWIW, Mrs Nod always uses the stainless bowl and the glass one keeps getting put up on a high shelf - she's terrified of dropping it! The glass bowl is bloody heavy compared to the stainless one and the only advantage is that you can see the contents.

Keep an eye on places like Lakeland, they sometimes have had the glass bowls in their sale - that's why we have one! IIRC, it was £60 or so a few years back (less than 8). FWIW, Mrs Nod always uses the stainless bowl and the glass one keeps getting put up on a high shelf - she's terrified of dropping it! The glass bowl is bloody heavy compared to the stainless one and the only advantage is that you can see the contents.

Tried Lakeland and Argos, both £85 but currently unavailable

How patient is your Mum? !!!

She's spending your inheritance!!!

(BTW, get your sticker on the KitchenAid mixer - they're great!)

It'll still be fine in 50 years!

My local Tesco express is adjacent to a block of flats, in fact the top floor of the flats is extended over the top of Tesco.
So they are joined via an archway.
The car park for both Tesco & residents is shared but marked into bays, shoppers and residents.

I was there a little earlier today, a Tesco home delivery pulled into the car park, and took a couple of "trays" to one of the flats!

Hmmm

Could it be for someone who is housebound and has no-one to do their shopping for them ?

Could it be for someone who is in isolation ?

Hmmm

Could it be for someone who is housebound and has no-one to do their shopping for them ?

Could it be for someone who is in isolation ?
Of course all those are possibilities. The scenario just made me chuckle more than anything.

I bought a bulky item from eBay recently ...
Its been dispatched today .. ( 16 / 03 )

Economy Delivery (Other Courier 5 days)
On or before Tue. 30 Mar.
Someone can't count :D

People selling things for ridiculous prices on local FB selling groups. Someone selling 25 supermarket own brand dishwasher tablets for £5! As a comparison,Tesco 30 dishwasher tablets for £3

On another one, someone is running a home catering business offering cooked meals for collection. The description makes it sound delicious but the accompanying photo makes it look like it's already been eaten once! :puke:

People selling things for ridiculous prices on local FB selling groups.
I've just been told, by a very reliable source, that Amazon wants them to pay to return some toner cartridges. My friend ordered these based on the Amazon description, which clearly states that the cartridges fit their printer. They don't.

Customer started the return procedure...
  • Good news: here's your return label.
  • Bad news: you have to send it to Slovakia, at your own expense.
  • Good news: Amazon say they'll refund up to £18 for the postage.
  • Bad news: The carrier recommended by Amazon say they won't handle toner.
  • Good news: Amazon say they'll refund whatever it costs to send it back to them.
  • Bad news: Amazon refuse to make a written commitment to refund the £60 that's the lowest offer.
The toner cost £66 delivered!

Amazon - we have more ways to p*** you off than just parking on pavements!

Amazon Prime delivery van on pavement outside school TZ70 TZ70 P1030510.JPG

Being swamped with adverts for broad band. up to six different companies so far.

I had need to contact a BT engineer for a line problem.
I never mentioned it on Facebook, Only a direct contact us via the web ...
Coincidence? its seems an odd random one if it is.

The tax man, in the mail today 6 envelopes from HMRC, one telling me I had underpaid, one informing me I had overpaid and was due a cheque, one with said cheque and three with notification of a code change, all dated within 4 days, all with the same excess information paperwork. Happy at a cheque with the probability of another after 5th April.

People selling things for ridiculous prices on local FB selling groups. Someone selling 25 supermarket own brand dishwasher tablets for £5! As a comparison,Tesco 30 dishwasher tablets for £3

On another one, someone is running a home catering business offering cooked meals for collection. The description makes it sound delicious but the accompanying photo makes it look like it's already been eaten once! :puke:

I've noticed this recently on a higher level, local buy and sell pages on FB, people trying to sell camera gear for extortionate prices. Maybe they think people are shying away from ordering outside of the country so they can charge what they like? But worse is that they never give the price on the advert, when someone asks they'll respond "Pm me for prices" - the potential buyer then comes back fuming about what they're looking for - often more than the price of the gear new ... then they wonder why they keep having to bump their ad every few months :rolleyes:

Being swamped with adverts for broad band. up to six different companies so far.

I had need to contact a BT engineer for a line problem.
I never mentioned it on Facebook, Only a direct contact us via the web ...
Coincidence? its seems an odd random one if it is.

Yes I had something similar when I changed my mobile sim only contract from EE to BT , I had lot s of random calls for a while , just didn’t answer them and kept blocking them . I guess someone passed my number round

We have two sort of iconic landmarks here, they published today, on the local "Hub"
that both will be lit up tonight in remembrance of all those people we lost over the past year
The amount of people saying that they will be there, is quite baffling TBH ....

I realised how far behind the tech curve I am this morning.

My wife came to me with her Apple SE watch in her hand and said "It's the hospital" I looked at it bemused. It was lit up. She nodded her head and thrust it towards me..I was sitting down having a cuppa.."Hello" I said, rather apprehensibly. It was a secretary who gave me an appointment date/time. Very loud, very clear. The call ended. "How do you do that ? I asked my wife. She laughed and said that if her watch was within range of her mobile it would pick up a call. At that moment we both burst into laughter as a male voice from the watch said, in an American accent.. "I'm sorry,I didn't understand that"

We were out for walk a few days ago and my wife stopped to check how far we'd gone. We ended up walking 6km that day..and I happen to catch sight of the live FTSE 100 index...red numbers. Down 62. I asked her what else it does. She reeled off a few features and I've since checked to see what else it's capable of.. Distance walked-pace of walking-heart rate -blood pressure- pulse-weather-atmospheric pressure-compass-imminent rain-altitude-music (access to 70 million Apple songs..not enough.:LOL: ) - audio books -podcasts- detect a fall and the screen reads ..looks like you had a hard fall..options..press screen tab to call emergency services or 'I'm ok' ..sleep pattern tracker-Email- nearest restaurants etc- an alert if surrounding decibels caused by whatever are too high for safety -a reminder to wash hands for 20 seconds (re Covid) :eek: It also links to an Apple Tv..and it can pair up with other Apple watches (friends/family) Maps with turn by turn directions - Siri..that American voice we heard- send money to friends..flight boarding passes-contactless payments in-store. It's waterproof to 50m depth. Excercise workouts and it even syncs with compatible gym equipment - calories burnt. It probably does other things I haven't mentioned.

Oh,yes....it shows..er..the time. :D

Have to say....I'm impressed:)

Last edited:
She laughed and said that if her watch was within range of her mobile it would pick up a call. At that moment we both burst into laughter as a male voice from the watch said, in an American accent.. "I'm sorry,I didn't understand that"
Hmm - I'm not sure that I like the idea of a watch that listens to everything that I say and reports it back to Apple (or Google, or Amazon).

I realised how far behind the tech curve I am this morning.

My wife came to me with her Apple SE watch in her hand and said "It's the hospital" I looked at it bemused. It was lit up. She nodded her head and thrust it towards me..I was sitting down having a cuppa.."Hello" I said, rather apprehensibly. It was a secretary who gave me an appointment date/time. Very loud, very clear. The call ended. "How do you do that ? I asked my wife. She laughed and said that if her watch was within range of her mobile it would pick up a call. At that moment we both burst into laughter as a male voice from the watch said, in an American accent.. "I'm sorry,I didn't understand that"

We were out for walk a few days ago and my wife stopped to check how far we'd gone. We ended up walking 6km that day..and I happen to catch sight of the live FTSE 100 index...red numbers. Down 62. I asked her what else it does. She reeled off a few features and I've since checked to see what else it's capable of.. Distance walked-pace of walking-heart rate -blood pressure- pulse-weather-atmospheric pressure-compass-imminent rain-altitude-music (access to 70 million Apple songs..not enough.:LOL: ) - audio books -podcasts- detect a fall and the screen reads ..looks like you had a hard fall..options..press screen tab to call emergency services or 'I'm ok' ..sleep pattern tracker-Email- nearest restaurants etc- an alert if surrounding decibels caused by whatever are too high for safety -a reminder to wash hands for 20 seconds (re Covid) :eek: It also links to an Apple Tv..and it can pair up with other Apple watches (friends/family) Maps with turn by turn directions - Siri..that American voice we heard- send money to friends..flight boarding passes-contactless payments in-store. It's waterproof to 50m depth. Excercise workouts and it even syncs with compatible gym equipment - calories burnt. It probably does other things I haven't mentioned.

Oh,yes....it shows..er..the time. :D

Have to say....I'm impressed:)

One correction, it doesn’t measure blood pressure. The series 6 does measure blood oxygen and have an ECG function, the Watch SE has neither of those features (though does measure BPM).

Hmm - I'm not sure that I like the idea of a watch that listens to everything that I say and reports it back to Apple (or Google, or Amazon).
I take it you have a mobile phone? Well... if someone 'with the right connections' so wished, couldn't they achieve the same using that, regardless of which settings you left it on? Then there's the smart TV, laptops with built in microphones and webcams, and potentially anything suitable you connect to a wired or wireless internet network. A scary thought? Well, I suppose it might be for those that bought all these wonderful and ever so useful gadgets. ;)

Last edited:

Good point. I didn't click. I'll mention that to her. RF (above) says it can be turned off.

Last edited:
But can the listener turn it back on again without the user knowing? :naughty:

Is that where we are with this technology ? I would hope not but if that's the case it's rather worrying. There was quite a long thread on this aspect a while ago, last year. I mean a device listening in rather than the listener having the abilty to switch back on a device.I recall someone taking exception to it being called 'spying' It was the device by Amazon. Siri but there was another one, the name alludes me at the moment. When challenged Apple said they can listen but for checking the technology with a view to enhancement...something like that. Just checked....Alexa

Is that where we are with this technology ? I would hope not but if that's the case it's rather worrying. There was quite a long thread on this aspect a while ago, last year. I mean a device listening in rather than the listener having the abilty to switch back on a device.I recall someone taking exception to it being called 'spying' It was the device by Amazon. Siri but there was another one, the name alludes me at the moment. When challenged Apple said they can listen but for checking the technology with a view to enhancement...something like that. Just checked....Alexa
The other question is, can the user actually turn the listening/video feature off, or does the option to disable that function just turn that feature's response off, but not the microphone or camera itself? I suppose it all boils down to how comfortable you are about unseen people or organisations potentially listening to (and/or viewing) your and your family in your living room, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, car, workplace, etc.

Far fetched? A few years ago I recall seeing a photo of the head of a computer/internet company (I can't remember who it was) sitting at a laptop in his office, and the laptop had a bit of black insulation tape stuck over the top of the built-in webcam on the screen frame. The photo appeared to be genuine, but I suppose you never know.

Last edited:
The other question is, can the user actually turn the listening/video feature off, or does the option to disable that function just turn that feature's response off, but not the listening or camera itself? I suppose it all boils down to how comfortable you are about unseen people or organisations potentially listening to (and/or viewing) your and your family in your living room, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, car, workplace, etc.

:eek: I hope so. Ricadaforce says it can be switched off. ie. on the watch. I'm sure I recall him saying, a while back,last couple of months,that he has this very model. The Apple SE.

Btw. If you pop over to 'Talk Nature'..US storms I've just posted a link..live. A TX severe storm. Loads of lightning.The chaser is sheltering in a garage..'gas station'' lol. Take a peek, you'll find it interesting, I'm sure.

fg84mtev1ha31.jpg

Back