WBMT.....What baffled me today

I had an email from DPD yesterday telling me my Amazon order would be delivered sometime today.
Using the tracking number provided it seems that they haven't even collected the parcel yet :thinking:

I had an email from DPD yesterday telling me my Amazon order would be delivered sometime today.
Using the tracking number provided it seems that they haven't even collected the parcel yet :thinking:
I had the exact same thing with DPD, although not from Amazon. Got an email on Friday 2nd saying that they would deliver my parcel on Saturday 3rd, but tracking showed that they hadn't even received the item yet. It was delivered today (Tuesday 6th).

I also got the option to nominate a safe place, Amazon have my safe place on record, but being a 3rd party delivery I though that it might be prudent to actually remind them.
Minutes later I get a message, thank you for updating your delivery preferences for the parcel due on the 6th.
( yes its the 7th today and still no sign)

Gotta admit that did make me chuckle,
as it happens there is no rush for the item..
Just as well really :D

Although I have no love for the royals as an institution I realise Prince Philip is a significant figure and therefore we are going to have a lot of media coverage in the next few days.

However, it baffles me why the BBC have continuous coverage about him until midnight today(and beyond) on both BBC1 and BBC2!

No one can watch both channels at the same time or do the BBC consider it lacking in respect if they showed normal programmes on one of the channels, if so then shouldn't they have cancelled progs on BBC4?

Dave

Although I have no love for the royals as an institution I realise Prince Philip is a significant figure and therefore we are going to have a lot of media coverage in the next few days.

However, it baffles me why the BBC have continuous coverage about him until midnight today(and beyond) on both BBC1 and BBC2!

No one can watch both channels at the same time or do the BBC consider it lacking in respect if they showed normal programmes on one of the channels, if so then shouldn't they have cancelled progs on BBC4?

Dave
And the same thing on ALL BBC radio channels! Of course they have very little to say and are just filling by-and-large, personally I think the BBC have misjudged it but I assume they just don't want anything that could in anyway be construed as inappropriate being broadcast.

Dave

Don't forget the BBC News channel, BBC Alba and BBC Scotland as well. I half expect BBC4 to be covering it when it starts too.

Dave

Totally agree, while I am definitely a royalist, this cover bores me, they news channel is enough.

Reactions: Nod

Dave
And the same thing on ALL BBC radio channels! Of course they have very little to say and are just filling by-and-large, personally I think the BBC have misjudged it but I assume they just don't want anything that could in anyway be construed as inappropriate being broadcast.
Don't forget the BBC News channel, BBC Alba and BBC Scotland as well. I half expect BBC4 to be covering it when it starts too.
Totally agree, while I am definitely a royalist, this cover bores me, they news channel is enough.

As mark of respect to a man whose sense of duty lead to a live of public service in support of the Queen.
I mean if you take away the BBC, ITV, CHANNEL4 and 5 there really is nothing left is there.

Nobody is suggesting that the occasion went unmarked, just that blanket coverage over all the BBC channels was overkill.

Nobody is suggesting that the occasion went unmarked, just that blanket coverage over all the BBC channels was overkill.

This. It’s dominated the news so an hour or 2 hour special on one channel would be fine. It does not need election night style coverage on the major channels.

Yes we have given up putting the telly on

Yes we have given up putting the telly on
We record anything we want to watch, so this hasn't affected our viewing. It's a little wearing on the ear, so far as radio is concerned, though.

And now football matches in the EFL are postponed on Sat from the 3pm ko time - why? Makes no sense whatsoever?

I know, but so what? Am guessing shops etc will still be open. I just don’t get it?

It's so people can watch it on telly. Yes, shops will be open but people can chose to go at other times of the day. Given that fans can't go to the games anyway, what's the issue with changing kick off times?

The car that pulled straight out into the middle lane of the motorway from a standing start on the hard shoulder (without indicating), causing an artic to leave a couple of skid marks in the outside lane. (And, I suspect, a third on the driver's seat.)

It's so people can watch it on telly. Yes, shops will be open but people can chose to go at other times of the day. Given that fans can't go to the games anyway, what's the issue with changing kick off times?

But my point is that people can still watch it on tv. Just don’t see any good reason to do it to be honest.

But my point is that people can still watch it on tv. Just don’t see any good reason to do it to be honest.

Not if they want to watch the football as well. The players and staff might want to watch the funeral as well.

The football or the funeral? :p

More herding instinct.

I have mentioned in the past that my car a 2 door Coupe has very wide opening doors,
I always park ( if at all possible) away from other cars.
Yesterday was no different.

Fortunately I returned to my car just in time to watch some twatt squeeze out of his car, as he was parked far too close, drivers door to drivers door.
There were plenty of empty spaces in the car park, and 3 next too me.
and yet he chose to park so close he could barely get out of his own....

A few words in his shell like, and the situation was indeed rectified,
Had I arrived 2 mins later, I would have had to ask customer service to announce that some twatt was causing an obstruction
as there was no way I could open my door wide enough to get in ...

Baffling :rolleyes:

The worst time that happened to me the section of car park was literally empty when I parked my Boxster but when I came back to it I could only assume that the other driver got out as I got in, via the passenger door. They must have had 50 other spaces to choose from.

This little story might go someway to explain this baffling and annoying phenomena.

I had a ex GF who was once reduced to tears when she couldn't decide where to park in a supermarket car park. She parked in one space, thought about it and then moved to another and then another until she cried. I suppose a car to park next to stops all this and does just act as a magnet.

If possible, I try to park against a kerb so I can be reasonably sure of being able to squeeze my(ample!)self back in. Did once get blocked from the driver's door of Mrs Nod's old MX-5 but could get at the passenger door so just dropped the roof and stepped over. Not sure how the offending car's mirror got adjusted so far...

I suppose a car to park next to stops all this and does just act as a magnet.
I seen that in the past too ...
If they can't park, they should avoid car parks ;)

If possible, I try to park against a kerb
That'd be my choice too, but again, not always possible. And being so many other spaces I just didn't think that the local twatt was shopping that day.

Not sure how the offending car's mirror got adjusted so far...
(y)

The worst time that happened to me the section of car park was literally empty when I parked my Boxster but when I came back to it I could only assume that the other driver got out as I got in, via the passenger door. They must have had 50 other spaces to choose from.

This little story might go someway to explain this baffling and annoying phenomena.

I had a ex GF who was once reduced to tears when she couldn't decide where to park in a supermarket car park. She parked in one space, thought about it and then moved to another and then another until she cried. I suppose a car to park next to stops all this and does just act as a magnet.
we
This concerns parking, but not in a car park, which perfectly demonstrated this herd instinct.

Back in the late 1970's I lived in Taunton for a couple of years and sometimes we, the then wife and our two boys, would drive up to the Quantocks to walk, picnic, fly a kite or whatever. One day we left early and were the first car to park on an open piece of ground, we watched as the next car to arrive parked within four or five feet of ours.

Over the next two hours all the cars that arrived parked at one end or other of the line that formed until it was about thirty cars long. After that the next arrivals parked about 15 feet behind the first line, forming a second line. This happened in an area of at least five acres, all of which was available for parking.

That'd be my choice too, but again, not always possible. And being so many other spaces I just didn't think that the local twatt was shopping that day.

When I had my Landy 90, a woman parked beside me and her spawn opened its door straight into the side of my car. It learned some new words. I was very tempted to do the same to her car but somehow managed to resist the temptation. Thinking back, I could have pushed her car over the edge of the car park but that might have been a bit extreme!

and her spawn opened its door straight into the side of my car.
They just don't care these days do they? Usually using their foot to open the car door :(

I do hope that she was an Ex immeadiately after this incident

We have it at work, we have pallets of compost in the car park and we place pallets to block cars from the area where we are operating forklift/pallet trucks. People park next to the pallets when they have the entire car park to choose from. The last place im parking my car is where a 3 tonne forklft will be driving into a pallet

Last edited:
This subject of cars entering a near-empty car park and then parking alongside a car that has no other car anywhere near it has been brought up on here before. It's a strange thing to do. My wife likes to park away from other vehicles yet she often returns to find one alongside despite 90% of the car park being empty. Herd instinct has been mentioned on a few threads, including here when I looked in an attempt to find the answer. There is no definitive answer, probably because it's about people and as they say in Yorkshire, 'there's nowt as queer as folk'. It would be interesting for a 'researcher' to ask those who enter a near-empty car park why they parked next to a car 'on it's own'. I'd imagine they have more interesting and more beneficial activities to research,though.Maybe some drivers think think they'll let their car keep that 'lonely one company :D

I suppose some people do it just to cause annoyance..which it generally does.

I was browsing for some home ware type stuff, and like all good citizens I hit the reject all when confronted with the cookies
This was the reply I got on the web site :D

We detect that you are in one of the member countries of the UK/EU/EEA, which is now subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Unfortunately, a tracking-free version of our full website is currently unavailable in these countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to this market

• Haha
Reactions: Sky
Bought a pair of shoes to help with a foot problem that now seems to have sorted itself
Ordered then 3 weeks ago, took a week to get noticification that had been "shipped" to be
delivered by Royal Mail tracked and the number. 2 weeks later on Tuesday RM finally received them at their DC in Bristol
Yesterday afternoon the arrived at Gatwick, and delivered to me today
Finally found out why they took so long, they were shipped from USA
Now the baffling bit, the label showed the valued as 5.74GBP, I paid a lot more then that, should I get them to refund the difference as the site said free postage ?

Virgin Active gym and their occupancy feature on their app. It’s meant to be like a live feature so you can go when it’s less busy.

At 5PM today it was near max capacity. At 6PM (when it shuts down as Bank Hol hours), it was still half full. Just checked it now and it’s still a third full.

Not much point in a feature if it’s not accurate.

WBMT is why a non-member state of the G7 was invited to send delegates from a country which is having among the worst outbreaks of covid to a country which is supposedly stopping all entries from the badly affected state.

WBMT is why a non-member state of the G7 was invited to send delegates from a country which is having among the worst outbreaks of covid to a country which is supposedly stopping all entries from the badly affected state.

Because Johnson was supposed to go there for trade talks but that was scuppered at the last minute, then he added India to the red list (late as usual) so now he's invited them over to try and butter them up to give us a favourable deal (lets see how that work's out), so much for their covid secure talks and even now anyone who's anyone that has come into contact doesn't need to isolate as they've been tested don't you know. Led by donkey's clown's more like.

I'm not sure of your point, yes the Indian delegation will continue virtually but like Priti Patel or anyone that has already mixed with them it's business as usual. As for covid secure they were supposed to have been tested before meetings started to ensure no one was infected.

Last edited:
Back