WCMUT....what cheered me up today

I think the problem is that many people are either stupid, selfish or simply unthinking.

It was the same as usual this morning. We're near a school and there are no sloping drops for quite a way and all you need is one twit who's parked too far on the pavement and it's a real problem. Another annoyance thing is that backtracking to a sloping drop (I don't know if there's a name for these sloping drops we have for example outside our drives) doesn't always work as if someone is parked across it you have to backtrack to the next and heaving the chair down and up and down again isn't always that easy and with some chairs it may be very difficult and even unadvisable/impossible even for someone who is relatively fit, like me.

Yet another annoyance for us is that on the main road there's a dedicated lane for parking and it's unused because parents dropping their kids off and picking them up again wont use it as it means walking... less than 100m to the school. They'd rather park outside the school part on part off the pavement. It's not just a problem near our local school though, it's a widespread problem.

There are days when this is just so annoying and soul destroying and of course once I'm on the road with a wheelchair I have to then be on it for that 60/100 yards I've backtracked and for the person in the wheelchair this can be really frightening to the point that it spoils the trip if you get an aggressive idiot in a car coming along. If it's a trip out for pleasure we end up wishing we hadn't bothered and it does put us off.

I can see the problems with parking and so many places seem to be pretty anti car these days but pavement parking is a real problem for people with pushchairs, wheelchairs and the disabled and I'll be overjoyed if it stops.

Anyway. If this comes to pass and is enforced I'll be happy :D

PS.
And the next thing I'd like to see is the banning of bikes on pavements for all but very small children. It's probably illegal now but it's endemic and there's no one to do anything about it. Even if there's little to no enforcement a publicised ban might remind some of the idiots that are a real menace that this can be a very selfish stupid and dangerous thing to do.
Parking is restricted around the school gates in our area, in fact it has been restricted for quite a few years, probably more than 10 years.

There are plenty of roads in my immediate area, all with parking bays clearly marked so cars etc can park with two wheels on the pavement. A blanket ban would make this impossible and leave residents with nowhere to park their cars. If they parked fully in the road, buses, lorries and fire engines would never get through.

Parking is restricted around the school gates in our area, in fact it has been restricted for quite a few years, probably more than 10 years.

There are plenty of roads in my immediate area, all with parking bays clearly marked so cars etc can park with two wheels on the pavement. A blanket ban would make this impossible and leave residents with nowhere to park their cars. If they parked fully in the road, buses, lorries and fire engines would never get through.

Parking is restricted here too with yellow lines but it doesn't stop everyone and sadly there's precious little enforcement. Parking on residential streets could be limited to residents. That's not unheard of. Generally I think it's the few careless or stupid that spoil it for the many and make things difficult to dangerous for others.

Where I live there's just no reason at all to do this as there's a designated parking lane not 100m away that's always completely empty and unused presumably because parents are too idle to park there and walk the extra few meters.

Actually another problems here is that many people just wont put their cars in their drives and I don't know why. If the locals would get their cars off the road there'd be less of a problem with parking but we'd still get idiots blocking the pavement.

Anyway, for me and my wheelchair pushing issues this ban would help especially if it's enforced with a few revenue generating traffic wardens handing out lots of fines to anyone blocking the pavement.

Last edited:
The schools where I live have yellow lines on the roads outside them; the 'school' run motorists here park in all the side roads & residential streets up to half a mile from the schools causing major congestion. The local Church Secondary is the worst, I suspect because their catchment area is greater meaning the students have to travel further.

I would support a partial ban on pavement parking & mandate a minimum width (at least 1m?) to be kept clear at all times....... I would also make it an offence to block 'dropped' kerbs that prevent wheelchair & buggy use.

We have roads near us which aren't wide enough to get 2 cars parked in the road and have any gap whatsoever for a 3rd vehicle to pass through (think of emergency vehicles let alone other residents), so in this case a ban wouldn't work. These roads actually have the parking bays marked on the pavement and when my wife and I walk down the pavement we often bash into the parked cars as we try and avoid overhanging branches etc. I dread to think how someone less able could manage.
My dad has parking on the pavement where he lives, he uses a mobility scooter and for him it is sometimes a nightmare to navigate passed these cars, in addition it's a one-way street and people drive up the road the wrong way and park on the pavement, there's no enforcement of that let alone issuing tickets for illegal parking.
Too many cars, not enough parking spaces and poor town planning 50 years ago in not realizing the growth in car ownership per household due to "children" still living at home in their 30's and owning a car in addition to the parents owning 1 or 2 cars.

Spring has sprung (y)
My frogs have been calling for a little over a week, yesterday 2 large clumps of spawn, today 1 regular size clump as well.

Spring has sprung (y)
My frogs have been calling for a little over a week, yesterday 2 large clumps of spawn, today 1 regular size clump as well.
Ours too we’ve had spawn for over a week

I've just had a visit from my usual postie with a little package from Belarus ! :D :D :D

His words not mine - "these bloo.. new starts ".

My little package was , he said, in the door pocket of the van. He's as baffled as me as to why they didn't ring the doorbell though.

All's well that ends well.

About 30 mins after that I had the phone call from the Delivery Office Manager to say that my usual Postie had checked the bag and van that had been used for the 'failed' delivery . The wee package from Belarus had been placed in the front pocket of the bag , not with the rest of the post being delivered to me !!

I was then told that my package would be delivered later today with the normal post - so it was great being able to say that it had been handed over by my normal postie . Because of the excellent service I have always been given by my postie, I asked the Manager to place on his record my gratitude for the way he has always been helpful knowing I find stairs difficult , and brings anything that needs a signature to my back door .

Last edited:
Ours too we’ve had spawn for over a week
Our neighbour has a pool for frog spawn and we have a compost bin that's been taken over by slow worms. By the end of the summer we usually have at least one frog hiding out in the garden plotting revenge on the slow worms.

Slow worms in compost bin  P1030307.JPG

Frog in flowerpot  E-PL5 P7160006.JPG

The schools where I live have yellow lines on the roads outside them; the 'school' run motorists here park in all the side roads & residential streets up to half a mile from the schools causing major congestion. The local Church Secondary is the worst, I suspect because their catchment area is greater meaning the students have to travel further.

I would support a partial ban on pavement parking & mandate a minimum width (at least 1m?) to be kept clear at all times....... I would also make it an offence to block 'dropped' kerbs that prevent wheelchair & buggy use.

Yup. That'd get my vote :D and I'd do another happy dance :D

I am so happy, I managed to buy a pack of four toilet rolls today, now on ebay at fifty pounds per roll!

What the hell is that all about?

I still don't understand it, just why do people need to stockpile loo rolls
Just how many can you actually use in 2 weeks ?
From what I've heard it's not a stomach bug anyway

I still don't understand it, just why do people need to stockpile loo rolls
Just how many can you actually use in 2 weeks ?
From what I've heard it's not a stomach bug anyway
Exactly what I thought I just don’t understand why people are panic buying loo roll

My colleague at work postulated that they go to panic buy "something" without a plan. Quickly work out that they can't carry 72 cans of beans/tomatoes/corned beef/spam and go for 72 rolls of bog roll because it's big and they feel like they have achieved something. Once they have the bog rolls now they can't carry anything else.

I applied Occam's Razor and assumed they're all a**eholes :coat:

There was a psychologist explaining this on the radio the other day.
It seems that in the cases of "emergency" humans are programmed to grab and store the largest items they can :D
I can see his point ...

That's a dumb goat...

:coat: ;)

Our neighbour has a pool for frog spawn and we have a compost bin that's been taken over by slow worms. By the end of the summer we usually have at least one frog hiding out in the garden plotting revenge on the slow worms.

View attachment 271691

View attachment 271692

Great to see good shots of a frog and especially slow worms but can't see why the frog would want revenge on the slow worms.

Dave

but can't see why the frog would want revenge on the slow worms.
Slow worms really like baby frogs. They get them just after they lose their tails and start to climb out of the water.

Slow worms really like baby frogs. They get them just after they lose their tails and start to climb out of the water.

I thought that was what you meant but asked as I couldn't find any reference online to slow worms eating froglets.

Thanks

Dave

asked as I couldn't find any reference online to slow worms eating froglets.
Nor can I but I've seen them at it twice. I really need to get a picture next time but it seems to have been opportunistic behaviour and I might not be lucky enough to be there at the right moment again.

I thought that was what you meant but asked as I couldn't find any reference online to slow worms eating froglets.

Thanks

Dave
I also get a mass starling in flux, when mine start to leave the sanctuary of the pond :(

but I've seen them at it twice.
They are only a large "worm" as far as frogs are concerned, they know nothing of taxonomy :D

Going into Sainsbury's to pick up the usual odds and ends - being presented with empty shelves where the baking yeast usually is but employing my superior height to see there was one knocked along the back of the top shelf behind the cake decorations. Small victories.

Nah, that's because they're so pished - bloody lizards!

Anything legless...

We got our water bill yesterday and when I went to file it, as I do, I spotted that I didn't have last years which baffled and annoyed me but did have the one for the year before that and it was more! How come a bill is less than one from two years ago? I thought everything just went up not down?

We do indeed live in strange and interesting times :D

Are you metered?

Ours went up last year as a result of extra use in 2018, back down for this year as last year's use was less.
We got our water bill yesterday and when I went to file it, as I do, I spotted that I didn't have last years which baffled and annoyed me but did have the one for the year before that and it was more! How come a bill is less than one from two years ago? I thought everything just went up not down?

We do indeed live in strange and interesting times :D

WCMUT

Seeing a Peacock Butterfly sunning itself on the patio :D

PS we usually see the lovely yellow Brimstone first, so seeing a Peacock is a bit of an early visitor by some weeks as far as I recall!

Back