WCMUT....what cheered me up today

We often have pie and custard. I make them :D We have bramble and apple pies in the freezer at the moment. The apples are bought but the brambles were picked about 200 yards away.

I watched How To Build British: Bentley on Channel 4 last night and was a little amused when the chap explaining the leather they use told us that they don't use that from female bulls as it always has lots of stretch marks.

More of a chuckle, really. Our near neighbours has just moved. It was a rented house owned by a young man from an Indian family. He came to sort out this and that and we've had chats in the past. I call our neighbours by their first names of course but not this one. After we first had contact (he lived there before renting it out)my wife asked me what I'd call him when I said 'hello'. 'There'. I said. 'Hello there' You'll appreciate why when I say his name is Luv. :)

https://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-luv-608415.htm

A couple of months' worth of hearing aid batteries coming through the post. And, even more, the same thing happening at the MiL's so we don't need to pick some up for us both from the only place locally that handles the issue for free - currently only at the audiology department at the local main hospital and I'm not over keen on going anywhere near that at the moment!

Smart battery charger from Halfords arrived. Ford put a new battery in the wife's car as the existing one was dead, free of charge, result. The dealer put us on Ford Assist foc last night, very impressed with their response (Gates. Potters Bar).

Insurance quote Down £13.00 on last year.
and that was down £20 on the previous year.
(y)

Just as we left the drive to go to town, I realised that it is Thursday today so we went a slightly different way to see if the Farmers' Market was still running. It is, so we have some tastier veggies and I have some good meat, all sourced from within 5 miles.

Ooops :D

Had a delicious roast beef dinner with all the trimmings and roast parsnip, delivered by a local pub, more then I could eat for £6.50
Nice to see some are trying to survive

I watched How To Build British: Bentley on Channel 4 last night and was a little amused when the chap explaining the leather they use told us that they don't use that from female bulls as it always has lots of stretch marks.

Female bulls?

Thanks for that. I had no idea this was on so I've just watched it on catch up :D I'll try and remember to watch the rest.

It's disappointing that they're only quit for economic reasons rather than having some sort of moral epiphany
The logical argument that overhunting destroys the resource seems a good one to me.

Comparing the meerkat market as I do for insurances, I like a lot of other people no doubt,
get emails telling me when so and so is due.
And with a suggestion that I could be paying as little as XXXX for my insurance this year.
(Usually b****x though right? )

What made me chuckle?
Their assumed quote was higher than my actual quote from my car insurance company this year, by about a tenner
As its fallen twice, on 2 consecutive years, and the premium for my car is very reasonable, I decided I wasn't even gonna bother checking this year, and I'd be
staying with them anyway (y)

WCMUT was getting out for a long distance drive this morning - almost 30 miles, round trip! Had to check up on Mrs Nod's Mum and drop a few things off that she can't get herself.

My sister came with a big box of home made scones and half a home made cake :D

Just heard that we MIGHT be allowed back out on the g**f course next week... Booked a couple of tee times in anticipation.

You just gotta love Amazon!
I ordered an item at 19:30 Sunday 3rd.
I then had a few options, sign up for prime ( I dropped it awhile ago) and get it Weds 6th,
or pay £4.99 and get it weds / Thurs 6th / 7th.

I went for the free option ( no rush) to get it Fri 8th of may.

Email today tells me it'll be here between 14:00 - 20:00.
Today, Tues 5th.
It seems the free option is that fastest option :D
( but of course there is still 6 hours for it all to go tits up :D )

I then had a few options, sign up for prime ( I dropped it awhile ago) and get it Weds 6th,

Today, Tues 5th.

I never pay for expedited delivery. 9 out of 10 times, the free option arrives within a couple of days

Reactions: Nod
I never pay for expedited delivery.
Same here. But I did have prime for awhile. And the free next day delivery was useful a couple of times,

9 out of 10 times, the free option arrives within a couple of days
I found that too, and that's bloody good, as a lot of Stuff is now coming from Amazon eu.

Today, Tues 5th.

I've been getting less that 24 hour delivery on some items from Ebay recently.

I've been getting less that 24 hour delivery on some items from Ebay recently.
And I've been getting circa 2 weeks UK to UK. but TBH I'm not convinced that some UK sellers are actually based in the UK.
Or have been ordering their stock after I place an order.
Its only ever low value items but still bloody annoying :(

I get that quite alot as well.. I've been waiting for a metal wall mounted bottle opener for about 2 weeks now, pretty sure it should have been here by now. Whereas i ordered some weed control sheet at about 9pm Sunday night and thats just dropped through the letter box.

I get that quite alot as well..
And yet I ordered from Panamoz recently. 48 hour to get to the UPS facility, it was due here the following day,
It seems there was a "problem" going on the track and trace web siteand yet I saw the UPS van go by here about the time it should have been delivered :rolleyes:
At least they delivered the following day.
So to re-cap, 48 hours From Panamoz, and 48 hours to do the final 20 miles ( from the UPS hub :D )

Oh and after it was delivered here, ( 10 days ago) it was showing dropped at the local UPS parcels collection point.
It still was a couple of days ago.

Even Panamoz sent me a "concerned" email thinking it was lost :D

Last edited:
And I've been getting circa 2 weeks UK to UK. but TBH I'm not convinced that some UK sellers are actually based in the UK.
Its only ever low value items but still bloody annoying :(

A lot of warehouses that supply to them, are struggling with staff levels at the moment due to self-isolating/social distancing etc. This then leads to hard decisions on which items to devote labour to sending to them and the cheaper it is, the lower the profit....

Discovered that the closest garden centre is sort of open - phone in an order and pay over the phone then collect at a prearranged time. Worked a treat with zero contact other than a 5m distant confirmation of the name. As a second cheering up, I took the opportunity to go to fill up with Diesel - 110.9p/litre. Bet it goes up PDQ once the lockdown is relaxed!

As a second cheering up, I took the opportunity to go to fill up with Diesel - 110.9p/litre. Bet it goes up PDQ once the lockdown is relaxed!

Still 108.9p/litre at my local Asda and unleaded is 102.9p/litre .... and I'm sure you are right about the speed it will increase at! :rolleyes:

10p/ltr more than that here. I looked this morning. My Defender has done 90 miles since lockdown day (23/03). Unleaded is 110.9/ltr...........

Almost worth driving down for a tankful! Used to be worth going down to Bovey Straight just to fill up back when they were trying to price match Trago Mills, not sure if it's still the case. Only managed 25 quids' worth and that was since March 1st. Mainly been using the Leaf for shopping etc. but needed the extra boot space for compost and grow bags today. HOPING that Sunday brings good news so we can get back out on courses... That will be a BIG WCMUT!

Almost worth driving down for a tankful! Used to be worth going down to Bovey Straight just to fill up back when they were trying to price match Trago Mills, not sure if it's still the case

At 30mpg going anywhere I'm not passing isn't worth it................. But even if they do relax the rules a bit I won't be going anywhere. On the NHS black list...........:(

WCMUT ?..It was a good day. Very good.

There's a large turning area in the short Close behind us so I was able to see that the houses at that end had ballons and union flags up and residents had tables/chairs out. Eventually it ended up as a street party (I had to get a two-step ladder to see over our fence..lol) and a few had BBQ's. One resident had his guitar and amp out and was singing..quite a good voice too. They were playing WW2 songs at first then moved on to 60/70's pop music. Not long ago I'd helped out a young Asian couple who live in that Close and acted as a go-between with one of our neighbours and them re fencing (their gardens back on to each other )which ended successfully and in addition to flowers my wife was given a couple of weeks ago this afternoon we got a knock on the door and they gave us home-made samosas, bajis and other 'delicacies' which I didn't know the name of but the quality was superb. We don't know if we'll eat shop/Indian restaurant-bought now having tasted theirs.This afternoon my wife sat on our front lawn chatting to neighbours (I was editing photos for here) and came in with slices of chocolate brownie cake..like I need more cake/chocolate (re lockdown) :) Later we were about to have our meal on the patio..very warm/hot even here and listening to the 60/70's pop music in the Close which was great when our neighbour shouted to me over the fence and gave me a box of Roses and Quality Street for giving him a new, unused Hozelock connector so he could pressure-hose his drive yesterday. Indian snacks- several chocolate brownie slices - two boxes of chocolates and 60/70's music...and the sun.What more could anyone ask for :) ?

So..All in all an excellent day and I have to say, when I looked over our fence into the Close and saw all those families out there, eating, drinking and chatting I thought how lovely. It must have been great for the children. I'll bet some of those residents had never spoken to each other before. In South Wales..Swansea,I think, the street turned out for a 90-odd year old war veteran (old soldier) who lived there and was asked to walk the length of the street to applause. He wore his campaign medals too.He was very moved. It was a TV news report on today's celebrations.

Still 108.9p/litre at my local Asda and unleaded is 102.9p/litre .... and I'm sure you are right about the speed it will increase at! :rolleyes:

109p/Lt here too,Heather. We'd filled our cars prior to this lockdown then saw the oil price collapse which has been reflected in pump prices so we are a bit miffed but there was a wee bit of cheer. I'll be happy in the knowledge that I will be mowing the lawns at the cheapest rate for years. A couple of days ago I filled the petrol can to the amusement of the cashier. :)

2* unleaded goes off in a vented fuel tank fairly quickly and can absorb water from the atmosphere due to the Ethanol content. To reduce the water problem, brim the tank to reduce the surface area and use one of the products sold to keep it fresh. It lasts longer in a sealed can too. AIUI, "super" unleaded doesn't suffer as much.

109p/Lt here too,Heather. We'd filled our cars prior to this lockdown then saw the oil price collapse which has been reflected in pump prices so we are a bit miffed but there was a wee bit of cheer. I'll be happy in the knowledge that I will be mowing the lawns at the cheapest rate for years. A couple of days ago I filled the petrol can to the amusement of the cashier. :)

My 108.9p/litre is for filthy diesel! :)

Back