WCMUT....what cheered me up today

A taxi driver who drove away from a pre-booked customer and their guide dog has been fined more than £1,100 under the Equality Act 2010 following an investigation by Milton Keynes Council.

On 5 October 2020, Bubakarr Jalloh pleaded guilty by post for failing to take a guide dog under Section 170(3) of the Equality Act 2010. Milton Keynes Magistrates’ fined him £315 and he was also ordered to pay costs of £770 as well as a victim surcharge of £34.

Excellent. Although, there should have been at least one more zero added to those figures.

First thing to cheer me up today was the Bobber passing its first MoT. Not a surprise but still cheered me up!
Next was getting an outside table at Swim in Lyme Regis so I could have a prawn curry (Thai style apparently - not sure how authentic it is but it is delicious!)
Then the rain stopped so we could have an ice cream for pudding in Exmouth without getting wet. (Light drizzle in Lyme Regis and we were under a brolly then rained fairly hard while we were between Lyme and Sidmouth but got lighter just before the home/Exmouth fork so risked the Exmouth detour.)

Guy in the supermarket pushing a trolley stacked above head height with multi-packs of beer and cider got told "Nope!"Nope.gif by the checkout operator (and then by the supervisor).
I guess the party's cancelled then?

I completed that online Government careers retraining quiz the other night just out of curiosity. It suggested I could become a Judge, with a starting salary of around £118,000 per year, rising to around £280,000.

So I'd like to accept the government's offer of this, as I think this job would really suit me, as I know I'd be able to sit down a lot and take weekends off. While I'm waiting to hear back from my letter of acceptance, does anyone happen to know if training is provided and, if so, how many days training they'd need me to do before I can sit in court? From the website result, they obviously think I'm very well suited to the job, and I do pick things up quite quickly, so I'd imagine probably a week or two at most?

Last edited:
I completed that online Government careers retraining quiz the other night just out of curiosity. It suggested I could become a Judge, with a starting salary of around £118,000 per year, rising to around £280,000.

So I'd like to accept the government's offer of this, as I think this job would really suit me, as I know I'd be able to sit down a lot and take weekends off. While I'm waiting to hear back from my letter of acceptance, does anyone happen to know if training is provided and, if so, how many days training they'd need me to do before I can sit in court? From the website result, they obviously think I'm very well suited to the job, and I do pick things up quite quickly, so I'd imagine probably a week or two at most?
Nah! Go the whole hog. Attorney General.

Nah! Go the whole hog. Attorney General.
Well, I did go one step down from 'strongly agreeing' when it asked about accepting a lot of responsibility at work, so I think Judge might probably be more me. Give the app it's due, it didn't suggest Attorney General, so I think it must be pretty accurate, even if it is a Beta version. :)

Having said that, I suppose we could do worse... just! :LOL:

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I changed my internet provider and was told I didn't need a fast connection so settled for a slower one,
couldn't wait for that contract to end, nothing but problems.
So last year I changed to EE, but unfortunately couldn't get fibre as with all the building work
it wasn't available
Recently Openreach have been doing loads of work round the village and I can get fibre back
Now the interesting bit, going from present 18 mb (which apparently is normally only 10mbI)will now get 72mb for an extra £5 a month,
I could go for 35mb but that would only be £2 less a month how odd is that
Oh and they do it without your landline if you don't want on for another £2 saving, sadly I have
a few people who do use it as they don't have mobile phones
Ok I know it's not superfast, which is also now available but a vast improvement
and should make updates a lot quicker

Last edited:
The Heineken Cup result. Marginally controversial end but if Racing had been given the kick-off after the final penalty, the Chiefs would probably (high probability IMO) have simply kicked into touch to finish it anyway.

A couple of the winning squad have been customers of Mrs Nod so she enjoyed watching it too!

Finally getting the landlord to get this on tap.

IMG_0901.JPG

On another forum I frequent a moderator has added an auto correct, “Cummings” becomes “Cummings (fine chap, did nothing wrong)” .....has cheered me up to see how people are wound up by it....

Just come away from a large(ish) supermarket, where a group of 8 schoolchildren all stood aside as a group, without hesitation, to let an elderly lady proceed through to the till, ahead of them. Not only that, but they took her bags from the trolley and packed her shopping for her. I'm a little shamed to say it wasn't what I expected to see, however, it was heartwarming to watch. They were all aged 11/13 and a mix of boys and girls. Well done to them, a credit to their morals and their parents and schooling.

Just come away from a large(ish) supermarket, where a group of 8 schoolchildren all stood aside as a group, without hesitation, to let an elderly lady proceed through to the till, ahead of them. Not only that, but they took her bags from the trolley and packed her shopping for her. I'm a little shamed to say it wasn't what I expected to see, however, it was heartwarming to watch. They were all aged 11/13 and a mix of boys and girls. Well done to them, a credit to their morals and their parents and schooling.
Many years ago my wife was struggling with our baby son in his buggy trying to negotiate an escalator. Lots of people simply walked past, ignoring her difficulties. Along came a young man, in ripped jeans, leathers, safety pins, chains, body piercings, tattoos and a mohican hair cut. He cheerily chirped up and offered to help her, he even waited at the top of the next escalator to help her again......

It just goes to show you should never judge people by their appearance.

I hope they followed social distancing recommendations, and they've not given the poor old dear Covid during their act of kindness? ;) Also, unless they were from the same family, shouldn't there have been no more than 6 of them in that group too? :thinking:

Last edited:
More of a chuckle really, I've been periodically tracking "My" Yodel driver awaiting a package.
The guy has taken a really weird route around my area, and now it seems he's actually driving across the golf course !
:D

Maybe he left the keys in while making a delivery, and you're tracking a joy rider?
Its OK he's off the 19th Tee and heading in the right direction :D

More of a chuckle really, I've been periodically tracking "My" Yodel driver awaiting a package.
The guy has taken a really weird route around my area, and now it seems he's actually driving across the golf course !
:D

Couple of months ago, the local McDs started delivering via Uber Eats so we thought we'd give it a go and ordered some breakfast. It showed that the delivery guy was on a bicycle and I thought, it's gonna be luke warm at best by the time it gets here,

Anyway, I followed him on the map and he went a bizarre route until he eventually turned up.....

.......in a Toyota Prius! :LOL:

Amazingly, the food was still warm!

Couple of months ago, the local McDs started delivering via Uber Eats so we thought we'd give it a go and ordered some breakfast. It showed that the delivery guy was on a bicycle and I thought, it's gonna be luke warm at best by the time it gets here,

Anyway, I followed him on the map and he went a bizarre route until he eventually turned up.....

.......in a Toyota Prius! :LOL:

Amazingly, the food was still warm!

We had exactly the same thing the first time we ordered Taco Bell from Uber eats :ROFLMAO:

Not really a cheer-me-up more a..surprise.

I don't like coriander in my food. A few weeks ago I was given a salad whilst visiting my sister and spent a few minutes picking out the darned bits of chopped corriander I tasted after the first mouthfull. It tastes like soap..awful. She apologised and said she realised after making the salad that it wasn't a good idea adding something like that but too late to take it out..too picky. She wasn't aware of my reaction to it. I just thought I'd google it as my wife doesn't taste it like that, no-one else does that I know, either . She loves Thai food but has to get it for herself only as I don't like the scent/perfume taste of it. Turns out that many Thai dishes, soup included, contain coriander so now I know why those meals taste like soap.

Here's the answer.

I love the smell of Napalm new sumptuous carpet in the morning (y)

I would have thought sniffing the kids would be frowned upon. ;)
:D I was IT network manager, they would quite often be sent to me to sort their passwords out & they often got a bit too close. The worst ones were those who lived in households where more money was spent on cooking oil for chips than detergent for washing :rolleyes:

"Flinglish" for lunch. Complete with fried bread. Last chance for a month so it had to be done!

Evan Vuccci's photo of the old Fart.

More of a chuckle really, the people opposite carrying large work tops through the front door, flat.
There are banisters a little way inside, watching them shunt back and forth to maneuver, them inside.
I'm tempted to go over and suggest they carry them in on their edge.

But no, I'll just sit here and enjoy the show (y)

More of a chuckle really, the people opposite carrying large work tops through the front door, flat.
There are banisters a little way inside, watching them shunt back and forth to maneuver, them inside.
I'm tempted to go over and suggest they carry them in on their edge.

But no, I'll just sit here and enjoy the show (y)
To me, to me... to you, to you! It's the return of the Chuckle Brothers! :giggle:

My Gosh! How did that happen?

It isn't 23 years past its sell by date is it? :D

I bought Mrs Nod one a few years back - marked "Faffer"! It's still in the fridge, I think.

Fish and Chips.

One of our local fish and chip shops shut down during the first lockdown. Actually it wasn't just f&c as they did just about everything you could possibly imagine including burgers and pizza. Amazingly for these times of dying high streets someone bought it and there were signs up saying it was going to reopen in August but it did open last Friday and we had some today :D £21.50 for "regular" f&c with scraps x3. They don't sell anything else, just f&c and the usual bottles of pop.

The good news is that when I got the home the batter hadn't quite melted and fused the fish to the chips. It had started to melt but they were still seporable. This is a problem we've had for years with all the local f&c shops, the batter looks lovely but quickly melts so I googled it a few years ago and the explanation I got was that the batter melts because it's cheap ready made rubbish the f&c shops buy in packets rather than make their own. I don't know if that's true.

What are your experiences? Does the batter melt by the time you get home? In our case it's just a 2 or 3 minute drive. Usually fish batter is spiky whereas this latest stuff was smooth with no spikes at all so it's definitely different.

I don't know if this new shop will survive as there were four people working there. The last owner ran it by herself during the week and at the weekend another woman ran it.

PS.
I've just remembered that years ago I used to make my own batter and I used to drip it in the pan to make scraps too. I can't remember how I made it but I do remember making it :D

Last edited:
Seeing Rasputin is leaving No10 by Christmas.
His picture is next to that of the gladly departed Peter Sutcliffe
What a right win double that is

Back