WCMUT....what cheered me up today

Said a few naughty words and when I went to bed stuck it in my Back Porch [ where I normally have to put my kitchen wall clock after I've changed it's battery , so it can link to the Radio Control thingy in Germany or wherever]

Forgot to check it this morning when I came downstairs but suddenly remembered about 11am - and ..................

OH JOY - IT'S ALIVE AGAIN :D :D :D :D
Many of these were solar powered, so leaving it in a light place will recharge it. I bought a watch for spares or repair that "needs a battery" that had been "sat in a drawer for ages" as I needed a similar strap. It turned out that the strap was the wrong width for my watch anyway but after leaving it on my windowsill it came back to life as yours did. It's still going after three years (Citizen solar).

@nilagin

Bet he goes sick ... ;)
Depending on when the work instructions were dropped off, he may not know what he had in store until he got to work this morning. As he is known as Downtime Dave, I am fully expecting him to have raised a fake maintenance request, just so he can get out of doing any work at least for a few hours. We can book half day holidays, so there is a good chance he may only run two of the tests. I would be very surprised if he has completed them all. He has a reputation for running automated tests that aren't required, just because he doesn't want to run the test required.
There is a woman on his shift that also doesn't like doing certain stuff and she has been there almost 30yrs. She always used to get other dyno cell operators to do any mechanical work for her. If she knows there is some work coming up she doesn't like, she will take a few days holiday.
We have 2 new test cells being built and another 8 on the way, we get to apply to transfer to those cells and the management will select who they want out of the applicants. The rest will end up working in an area doing alot more manual and mundane work. These two people and several others don't stand a chance of getting one of the new cells and karma is really going to bite them on the arse over the next few months. :)

Many of these were solar powered, so leaving it in a light place will recharge it. I bought a watch for spares or repair that "needs a battery" that had been "sat in a drawer for ages" as I needed a similar strap. It turned out that the strap was the wrong width for my watch anyway but after leaving it on my windowsill it came back to life as yours did. It's still going after three years (Citizen solar).

I have a few (oops!!!) Eco-Drive watches which live on a windowsill. Since 3 or 4 of them are also radio controlled, they sit on a small block of wood so they have as good a view towards the current transmitter as possible. Got a wave-ceptor solar Casio too - supposed to be 100m waterproof but gets steamed up. That went blank a couple of years ago but recovered after a while in the sunshine.

I have a few (oops!!!) Eco-Drive watches which live on a windowsill. Since 3 or 4 of them are also radio controlled, they sit on a small block of wood so they have as good a view towards the current transmitter as possible. Got a wave-ceptor solar Casio too - supposed to be 100m waterproof but gets steamed up. That went blank a couple of years ago but recovered after a while in the sunshine.

I just hope mine continues to behave nicely - though I could do with a couple of links out of the bracelet , it has served me well and I'd like it to last for the rest of my life

Ordered a T-shirt and a couple of bobble hats/beanies from Guy Martin's merchandise shop, total spend inc. P&P, 55 quid. Just arrived with 24 quid of freebies.
Your inner chimp must be delighted.

Depending on when the work instructions were dropped off, he may not know what he had in store until he got to work this morning. As he is known as Downtime Dave, I am fully expecting him to have raised a fake maintenance request, just so he can get out of doing any work at least for a few hours. We can book half day holidays, so there is a good chance he may only run two of the tests. I would be very surprised if he has completed them all. He has a reputation for running automated tests that aren't required, just because he doesn't want to run the test required.
There is a woman on his shift that also doesn't like doing certain stuff and she has been there almost 30yrs. She always used to get other dyno cell operators to do any mechanical work for her. If she knows there is some work coming up she doesn't like, she will take a few days holiday.
We have 2 new test cells being built and another 8 on the way, we get to apply to transfer to those cells and the management will select who they want out of the applicants. The rest will end up working in an area doing alot more manual and mundane work. These two people and several others don't stand a chance of getting one of the new cells and karma is really going to bite them on the arse over the next few months. :)
I hope when normality returns and all is well at work you will always always wave at these two daily and greet them them with a happy "got much on today?"

I hope when normality returns and all is well at work you will always always wave at these two daily and greet them them with a happy "got much on today?"

This is one part of normality I don't want to resume. Not seen them in a year and quite happy to keep it that way. If I am lucky enough to transfer to one of the new cells, I probably won't have to see them again.

I vaguely remember that story from about 4/5 years ago.

Worth seeing again then :D

3 years ago. I think, according to youtube. I'd never seen it before.

Last edited:
Depending on when the work instructions were dropped off, he may not know what he had in store until he got to work this morning. As he is known as Downtime Dave, I am fully expecting him to have raised a fake maintenance request, just so he can get out of doing any work at least for a few hours.
Well he didn't disappoint, he put in a maintenance request at the start of the shift for one of the emissions prices of equipment that measures particulates. He doesn't mention what was wrong with it, but I suspect it was just a couple of filters that had got waterlogged and he hadn't changed them. So for the first 4.5hrs he did nothing apart from raise the maintenance request. So he only managed to run 3 of the 8 tests that were remaining. I am training a workmate at the moment and he has already run 4, including an extra one that was added today.
Little does the lazy lump on the opposite shift realise we have the exact same tests to run tomorrow, but on different grade petrol. :)

I just hope mine continues to behave nicely - though I could do with a couple of links out of the bracelet , it has served me well and I'd like it to last for the rest of my life
I bought one of these which worked well for the push in/out links. (They push out from the split end of the link-others have a screw thread although jeweller only charged me a fiver to alter one of mine) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264726637839

That tool frightens me - I can't see me using that :( It'll just have to do the way it is

I took my Citizen, Radio Controlled, Eco-Drive watch (which has been fantastic) to my local branch of Timpson's to have a link removed when I bought it, ISTR the on-line watch company I bought it from (can't remember their name now!) suggested their customers went there (along with a few other places) to have their watch straps shortened and even offered to refund the cost of this if you sent a copy of the receipt back to them. I didn't bother with that, as it was cheap enough at the time and too much faffing about, plus I'd saved 25% on the RRP of the watch buying from them anyway. Fair play to the lady in Timpson's, she made a nice job of my watch while I did some shopping in the town for half an hour. So perhaps ask your local branch for a quote once lockdown lifts?

Last edited:
I took my Citizen, Radio Controlled, Eco-Drive watch (which has been fantastic) to my local branch of Timpson's to have a link removed when I bought it, ISTR the on-line watch company I bought it from (can't remember their name now!) suggested their customers went there (along with a few other places) to have their watch straps shortened and even offered to refund the cost of this if you sent a copy of the receipt back to them. I didn't bother with that, as it was cheap enough at the time and too much faffing about, plus I'd saved 25% on the RRP of the watch buying from them anyway. Fair play to the lady in Timpson's, she made a nice job of my watch while I did some shopping in the town for half an hour. So perhaps ask your local branch for a quote once lockdown lifts?

That's a brilliant idea - thanks. Roll on lockdown being over :D

Well he didn't disappoint, he put in a maintenance request at the start of the shift for one of the emissions prices of equipment that measures particulates. He doesn't mention what was wrong with it, but I suspect it was just a couple of filters that had got waterlogged and he hadn't changed them. So for the first 4.5hrs he did nothing apart from raise the maintenance request. So he only managed to run 3 of the 8 tests that were remaining. I am training a workmate at the moment and he has already run 4, including an extra one that was added today.
Little does the lazy lump on the opposite shift realise we have the exact same tests to run tomorrow, but on different grade petrol. :)
Well it all went tits up today, although the lazy lump was at work this morning, he was recieving training for clutch testing rig. So someone else ran the cell this morning and they managed 6 tests. Only problem is they need to be re-run as the engineer wants the spark retarded as far as possible. So there is hope yet, that the lazy lump will still have to run some of the tests.

Well, yesterday!

Went to pick up our usual Wagamama supper/tea/dinner (delete according to geographical location/dialect!) and they gave us a copy of their recipe book as a thank you for our support through the lockdown(s). Not the first freebie by a long shot either. I'd like to say that the only reason we get a take away every week is to support the place but the truth is that it saves me cooking, saves me washing up and the place is only 100 yards or so from Mrs Nod's studio so I pick it up when I collect her after her late class so it's basically laziness that "forces" me into getting it!

That's a brilliant idea - thanks. Roll on lockdown being over :D
As usual with shopping anywhere you've not tried before, look for feedback reviews for your local branch to make sure it's got some staff who know what they're doing (bearing in mind people are probably more likely to leave bad feedback if they're not happy than leave good feedback for an everyday type service that's gone as expected), and ask for a price before asking them to do the work to make sure they're not going to be extortionate - I think I paid less than £9 to get mine done, but can't remember the exact price as it was a few years ago. (y)

Last edited:

I've had to adjust all my Citizens (and others). Pulling the pins and replacing is a bit fiddly but not difficult. The links are marked (with an arrow) to show which direction to push the pin out and (in best Haynes manual tradition) reassembly is the reverse of dismantling. I've always adjusted the catch adjuster to be as loose as possible before doing the link removal and then done the fine adjustment once the links are slightly loose on the wrist.

FWIW, I have a pin pusher tool (screw type) but use a small cross head precision type screwdriver to push the pins out, only using the "proper" tool as a base with a hole in when I'm pushing the pins out.

A couple of things CMUT (so far!) Firstly, I seem to have managed to get my temperature back down to normal after an unexplained high fever over the weekend (and no, I wasn't expected to pay Mrs Nod's Mum a visit for mothering Sunday!) Temperature rose sharply on Friday so booked a test for Saturday which came back negative yesterday. No symptoms of anything other than a high (39°C) temperature and feeling "odd". Secondly, I've had a haircut - lost about a stone and a half!

A couple of things CMUT (so far!) Firstly, I seem to have managed to get my temperature back down to normal after an unexplained high fever over the weekend (and no, I wasn't expected to pay Mrs Nod's Mum a visit for mothering Sunday!) Temperature rose sharply on Friday so booked a test for Saturday which came back negative yesterday. No symptoms of anything other than a high (39°C) temperature and feeling "odd". Secondly, I've had a haircut - lost about a stone and a half!
Obviously your thatch was insulating you too well :).

Reactions: Nod
Well, the thatch has a large opening facing skyward so offers little insulation and the beard is remaining untrimmed until normality (or a new version of it) returns.

I've been annoyed lately by people just walking past not even a couple of feet away from me (let alone 2 metres) when shopping at my local supermarket. Today I found the answer to that; just walk along with the shopping trolley partially sideways in front of you at an angle of around 30 degrees. This physically stops anyone approaching from the opposite direction getting too close, and if anyone says anything you can blame it on the trolley! Simples! :D

Last edited:
I've been annoyed lately by people just walking past not even a couple of feet away from me (let alone 2 metres) when shopping at my local supermarket. Today I found the answer to that; just walk along with the shopping trolley partially sideways in front of you at an angle of around 30 degrees. This physically stops anyone approaching from the opposite direction getting too close, and if anyone says anything you can blame it on the trolley! Simples! :D
Just start coughing....they'll soon give you a wide berth... :LOL:

A clove of raw garlic under the tongue, coupled with a pair of thoroughly disreputable army surplus boots and an argument with the voices inside your head keeps most people well away.

• Haha
Reactions: Sky
A clove of raw garlic under the tongue, coupled with a pair of thoroughly disreputable army surplus boots and an argument with the voices inside your head keeps most people well away.

Have you been watching me? :giggle:

From a distance... :cool:

Well, yesterday!

Went to pick up our usual Wagamama supper/tea/dinner (delete according to geographical location/dialect!) and they gave us a copy of their recipe book as a thank you for our support through the lockdown(s). Not the first freebie by a long shot either. I'd like to say that the only reason we get a take away every week is to support the place but the truth is that it saves me cooking, saves me washing up and the place is only 100 yards or so from Mrs Nod's studio so I pick it up when I collect her after her late class so it's basically laziness that "forces" me into getting it!

Love Wagamama..so much so I bought their recipe book for my wife at Christmas...and also a couple by the Hairy Bikers which we enjoy watching.:)

Last edited:
VERY nearly bought the book as a self gift. Don't need to now! Did buy the Comptoir Libanais one a couple of years ago.

For the noodles themselves or the assorted miso soups that accompany the ramen? No to the noodles, yes to the soups!

I was working in the garden earlier and 2 red kites circling about 40 feet above me.
Sorry guys I forgot to feed you today. Soon remedied.

Watched through the window for ages. No takes. turn my back for a few mins to do something, and woosh .. and the food has gone...

I was working in the garden earlier and 2 red kites circling about 40 feet above me.
Sorry guys I forgot to feed you today. Soon remedied.

Watched through the window for ages. No takes. turn my back for a few mins to do something, and woosh .. and the food has gone...

Do you buy in specially for them or just feed them meat scraps?

Pretty much just slow cooked stocks, some with a dash of miso paste.

Back