WCMUT....what cheered me up today

Seeing the Mogg on SKY NEWS this am questioned about civil servant reductions and being asked “how many advisers did you bring here this morning, looked like more than two -- possibility for some reductions there?” :LOL:

Yes, I think £1 is around the current price — I posted a link to the bbc food site that has recipes for that currently.

One factor though is what people have in their ‘store cupboard’: flour, oil, spices and so on. Another is if food needs cooking (which most cheap recipes do) then fuel costs may be a factor. I think the cheapest cooking would be by microwave (not suitable for a lot of things) but you may not have a m wave if in poverty/rented etc :(.

I do think many people don’t know basic cooking and haven’t picked it up from their parents because they too relied on convenience foods. I grew up before such things existed so even though I never had any lessons etc I knew the basics just from seeing my mother cooking..

I've just dabbled over the years but I can put a few edible meals on the table and Mrs WW does some wonderful eastern recipes. We both tend to make enough to do a least one more sitting so as there's three of us we often get six meals from a cook and even then maybe some left overs which might make another meal or more likely we'll add the leftovers to another recipe.

I've just dabbled over the years but I can put a few edible meals on the table and Mrs WW does some wonderful eastern recipes. We both tend to make enough to do a least one more sitting so as there's three of us we often get six meals from a cook and even then maybe some left overs which might make another meal or more likely we'll add the leftovers to another recipe.
And of course numbers of people you are cooking for is a factor. Cooking (and shopping!) for one is more expensive generally :(. Shopping is especially annoying — all those 3 for 2 offers for example — especially since , at least in the past, I almost never used frozen (or froze) food except peas or maybe bacon/pancetta (latter easier to chop up if frozen ;) ). And going back to poverty, you may not have a fridge or freezer.

And going back to poverty, you may not have a fridge or freezer.
This really belongs in the WAMT, but as a follow up.
Its highly unlikely for most I'd say.

Anyway, there are plenty of people around here, that go to the food hand outs at the local community center,
and yet have also mentioned their up to date iPhone, massive TV, gaming machines..
If they were truly on the poverty line, how did they afford the above?
Its all about priorities.
Some maybe genuine cases, but I'm sure the majority are not.

It's always the same. Suppose the Good Samaritan had found the body in the road was decoy for a band of robbers? :wideyed:

WCMUT or more properly yesterday.

I applied online to renew my passport and that requires you to send in your old one before they start to process the application....

Sent the old one signed for on the 24th April, received 26th April but hung as not yet in the system for about 5 days......fast forward, the tracking update of progress showed my application was progressing but based on the reports of it taking up to/over 10 weeks I thought " oh yeh!"

But it arrived yesterday, so from their receipt of the old one on the 26th April to new one delivered 12th May....I am well pleased :)

PS it one of the blue British not EU maroon passports and quite different to my old one in regard to security etc. As someone who worked in the print related trades and sold materials to many companies including the more secure types, I can see many different techniques have been used, some very novel to me (it has been a few years) and no doubt some I cannot see! A worthy device to protect my identity.

I applied online to renew my passport and that requires you to send in your old one before they start to process the application....

Sent the old one signed for on the 24th April, received 26th April but hung as not yet in the system for about 5 days......fast forward, the tracking update of progress showed my application was progressing but based on the reports of it taking up to/over 10 weeks I thought " oh yeh!"

But it arrived yesterday, so from their receipt of the old one on the 26th April to new one delivered 12th May....I am well pleased :)

PS it one of the blue British not EU maroon passports and quite different to my old one in regard to security etc. As someone who worked in the print related trades and sold materials to many companies including the more secure types, I can see many different techniques have been used, some very novel to me (it has been a few years) and no doubt some I cannot see! A worthy device to protect my identity.

My partner renewed his passport recently. His old one had expired but we have no plans to go abroad in the near future. He was expecting a 3 month wait and it was back in about 3 weeks. He was hoping the well publicised delays would stop him having to do any overseas business trips for a while..................... :(
His is blue but mine, renewed a couple of years ago is UK but still maroon.

Last year when I renewed my driving licence the instruction was to cut up the old one! Of course I didn’t and just as well since the delays meant I would have been without anything if stopped — unlikely of course but … .

I've been sat here with my lap top on my knee processing todays pictures and wondering why the laptops fan is whirring away like mad... and then I realised it isn't and the noise is coming from the fire (it's a cool day and someone else is cold.)

Reading people online arguing about the cost of preparing meals at home I did a quick tot up of some of my/our meals and some come in comfortably under £1 a serving and some probably nearer 50p. Some probably bust that sort of budget and I'm not saying that people should live on 30p meals forever but it is possible to do a tasty and filling meal for under £1 before cooking and washing up costs are added.

Anyway. That made me feel good about my cooking and budgeting :D
Yes, I think £1 is around the current price — I posted a link to the bbc food site that has recipes for that currently.

One factor though is what people have in their ‘store cupboard’: flour, oil, spices and so on. Another is if food needs cooking (which most cheap recipes do) then fuel costs may be a factor. I think the cheapest cooking would be by microwave (not suitable for a lot of things) but you may not have a m wave if in poverty/rented etc :(.

I do think many people don’t know basic cooking and haven’t picked it up from their parents because they too relied on convenience foods. I grew up before such things existed so even though I never had any lessons etc I knew the basics just from seeing my mother cooking..

I like to make bread, but I can't, for the life of me, make a loaf for little as they sell it in the supermarket!

I like to make bread, but I can't, for the life of me, make a loaf for little as they sell it in the supermarket!

I've just made a loaf tonight but I haven't attempted to tot up the costs. A sliced white loaf from ASDA costs 50p.

Here's mine cooling.

EjzpFPX.jpg

We'll be eating half of that in the morning, vegi bacon and brown source sandwiches. Yum Yum :D

How much do you think you can make one for?

What they sell in the supermarket is mostly not bread!

Full disclosure, I first baked bread while still at school in the 1950’s when there was a bread strike and have baked on and off ever since. I restarted doing it regularly when I married a Florentine who couldn’t stomach the bread sold then — to be fair it has improved in recent years — and have continued on and off.

I've wherever and whenever possible mostly stopped buying branded and buy mostly supermarket brands now including the odd loaf of sliced bread.

Today we went to a shop which sells unpackaged stuff, you take your own containers. I'm not sure that the prices are a big saving or if they're even a saving or not but this would cut down on packaging.

This really belongs in the WAMT, but as a follow up.
Its highly unlikely for most I'd say.

Anyway, there are plenty of people around here, that go to the food hand outs at the local community center,
and yet have also mentioned their up to date iPhone, massive TV, gaming machines..
If they were truly on the poverty line, how did they afford the above?
Its all about priorities.

We watch a recorded program earlier where the presenters save people money and one couple were spending over £900 a year on mobiles on contract. They also had 3 take aways a day. The TV prog showed them a sim only deal for £10 a month. That's still more than me and Mrs WW pay, we have PAYG.

£900 a year on mobiles on contract.
That's just crazy, but I'm sure its not uncommon unfortunately :(
Sim only here, £6 /month with BT.

That's just crazy, but I'm sure its not uncommon unfortunately :(
Sim only here, £6 /month with BT.
Ditto here £6/month giffgaff.

I've wherever and whenever possible mostly stopped buying branded and buy mostly supermarket brands now including the odd loaf of sliced bread.

Today we went to a shop which sells unpackaged stuff, you take your own containers. I'm not sure that the prices are a big saving or if they're even a saving or not but this would cut down on packaging.
One from last year:

1652482910890.jpeg

We watch a recorded program earlier where the presenters save people money and one couple were spending over £900 a year on mobiles on contract. They also had 3 take aways a day. The TV prog showed them a sim only deal for £10 a month. That's still more than me and Mrs WW pay, we have PAYG.
I watched some of those Eat More for Less programs. Assuming they are not set up the common theme was that people didn’t keep any record of what they spent and didn’t go shopping with any plan of what they needed and just plucked stuff from the shelves as the mood took them.

In regard to bread....

Look up the Chorleywood Process!

Back in the 80's I visited a bakery research site in Bucks (Sunblest I think ???) and I learned that they had improved the Chorleywood Process to increase the amount of water in bread to 40% !!! I was surprised and the lab manager said with a definite business humour "well it is cheaper to add water than any other ingredients". He was in deadly earnest saying the new recipe was due to go into production:(

In regard to bread....

Look up the Chorleywood Process!

Back in the 80's I visited a bakery research site in Bucks (Sunblest I think ???) and I learned that they had improved the Chorleywood Process to increase the amount of water in bread to 40% !!! I was surprised and the lab manager said with a definite business humour "well it is cheaper to add water than any other ingredients". He was in deadly earnest saying the new recipe was due to go into production:(
Indeed, they thought the Chorleywood Process was the best thing since sliced … umm :(.

I never understood that sliced bread thing. Back in the day ‘real bakers’ used to slice their proper bread on a bacon slicer (same sort of machine anyway) and put it in a paper bag for you if that’s what you wanted.

Indeed, they thought the Chorleywood Process was the best thing since sliced … umm :(.

I never understood that sliced bread thing. Back in the day ‘real bakers’ used to slice their proper bread on a bacon slicer (same sort of machine anyway) and put it in a paper bag for you if that’s what you wanted.

I used to buy loafs from ASDA and ask them to cut them but they used to distort the loaf, I assume either the machine wasn't sharp enough or they weren't using it properly. I can slice home made bread thinly but I prefer a medium slice.

I used to buy loafs from ASDA and ask them to cut them but they used to distort the loaf, I assume either the machine wasn't sharp enough or they weren't using it properly. I can slice home made bread thinly but I prefer a medium slice.

Or the bread was too soft, no ‘structure’ :(.

Or the bread was too soft, no ‘structure’ :(.

The multi bladed reciprocating knives slicers are quite good but on the odd occasion (pre COVID ~ the Sainsbury's have gotten rid of all their service counters:( ) I was told the bread was still too warm, fresh out of the oven, to cut i.e. it firms up once cooled and they never cut the bread in the warm state.

I always leave my bread overnight or at least morning until mid afternoon time before cutting.

I think the problem with the ASDA bread was either the machine or the users technique as once I got it home I had had no problem cutting it.

I always leave my bread overnight or at least morning until mid afternoon time before cutting.

I think the problem with the ASDA bread was either the machine or the users technique as once I got it home I had had no problem cutting it.
Yes, I never eat bread the same day apart from tasting it.

It’s interesting that nowadays whenever I’ve seen articles etc about bread making they nearly always say “you can’t beat bread fresh from the oven. It used to be that people said new-baked bread was “indigestible”, though I have no idea of the truth of that!

Warm, fresh bread makes me fart! Mind you, so does still water!!!

My wife is still in shock at the thought of veggie bacon! It may be veggie something but if it from a pig it aint Bacon, ever.

My wife is still in shock at the thought of veggie bacon! It may be veggie something but if it from a pig it aint Bacon, ever.
I believe they call it faken?

I just knew there'd be a comment or two as they always is when I mention this :D I know you posted in good humour but it gets tiring when people don't.

I've been vegi for decades now and the imitation meat things are a relatively new thing but we eat imitation mince, burgers, sausage and bacon and occasionally have fishless fingers too although I think they're much less successful. Mrs WW has been experimenting with meatless burgers and steaks too and I think they're actually better than the ones we buy. There's room for all it's just that me and mine choose not to eat meat but I've never lectured or ridiculed those who do as it's a personal decision and anyone butting in should really butt out.

Last edited:
I'm happy to eat meatless curries and I'm all for others to abstain from meat in other dishes, more meat for me:D!,we just need to find acceptable terms for them, saves any mistakes, I image the Italians not being happy at the thought of meatless 'Parma Ham" Room for all of us in the restaurant.

I believe they call it faken?
Often made from seitan (pronounced the same as the norty guy.)

I'm with Martin, as is Mrs Nod (long time veggie) - why eat fake meat when there are so many delicious ways to prepare vegetables without trying to fake the taste and texture of meat? At home, cooking is usually veggie (I CBA to cook single portions of a meaty dish for myself so batch cook chilli, curry etc.) but when we're out, I enjoy a more omnivorous diet.

Hearing that planning permission for a McDonalds is being denied by the local council
It was planned for a new industrial estate on the outskirts so would still mean most would drive to it causing chaos on the main route out , there is already one a few miles away and that is a nightmare at times

I just knew there'd be a comment or two as they always is when I mention this :D I know you posted in good humour but it gets tiring when people don't.

I've been vegi for decades now and the imitation meat things are a relatively new thing but we eat imitation mince, burgers, sausage and bacon and occasionally have fishless fingers too although I think they're much less successful. Mrs WW has been experimenting with meatless burgers and steaks too and I think they're actually better than the ones we buy. There's room for all it's just that me and mine choose not to eat meat but I've never lectured or ridiculed those who do as it's a personal decision and anyone butting in should really butt out.
Agree with you there we are veges too and also try not to lecture people it’s up to the individual :) , the burgers and sausages can be really nice we have tried vege bacon though and it’s always horrible to be honest
Although I’m not strictly a vegetarian as I do still eat fish and didn’t find it hard to give up meat

Vegetarian meals are great with burgers :LOL:

On a serious note, we tend to have veggie meals at least twice a week, plus another of fish, so our meat intake isn't that high these days.

Vegetarian meals are great with burgers :LOL:
:LOL:

To be fair friends of my Ex's were veggies, and we had some really nice dinner parties / BBQ's around there.

Car Insurance !

Elder daughter visiting me at end of month for 3 days. Wanted to put her on my Insurance so I could get a break from driving. She reckoned it would COST me much - she's a Transport Manager in a bus company - has full car and bus licences [ both manual ones ] since she was 17 and 21 !! Apparently motor insurance companies usually shudder at considering her because of her job !

She's been added to my Insurance for the 3 days at NO cost !!

Car Insurance !

Elder daughter visiting me at end of month for 3 days. Wanted to put her on my Insurance so I could get a break from driving. She reckoned it would COST me much - she's a Transport Manager in a bus company - has full car and bus licences [ both manual ones ] since she was 17 and 21 !! Apparently motor insurance companies usually shudder at considering her because of her job !

She's been added to my Insurance for the 3 days at NO cost !!
I had a similar experience putting a younger (than me) relative on my insurance, cost me an extra £5 (or around) mid year and my renewal price was substantially lower.

Back