WCMUT....what cheered me up today

Rarer than hen’s teeth in England generally correctly placed apostrophes on t’internet ;).
I was going to ask "grey's whats" and "red's whats" but I think you've made that redundant... :naughty:

There are alleged to be some reds in Yorkshire but I haven’t seen them. Rarer than hen’s teeth in England generally correctly placed apostrophes on t’internet ;).

I was going to ask "grey's whats" and "red's whats" but I think you've made that redundant... :naughty:

If you're going to turn into the grammar police you really should correct your own posts first for grammatical and spelling mistakes.

Going for a walk along the river in the rain , my other half thought I was a bit daft but I had a cunning plan, if I could manage to find a damselfly or butterfly it wouldn’t fly off.
I did find one too a Beautiful Demoiselle perched nicely on cow parsley :)

Went down to the coast yesterday with a couple of friends, lovely sunny day
On the way back to the car one of them realised she couldn't find her mobile,
hoped she had left it in the car:thinking:
Got back to the car and there propped in the door handle was her phone :)
Nice to know that there some helpful, honest people around (y)

Went down to the coast yesterday with a couple of friends, lovely sunny day
On the way back to the car one of them realised she couldn't find her mobile,
hoped she had left it in the car:thinking:
Got back to the car and there propped in the door handle was her phone :)
Nice to know that there some helpful, honest people around (y)

Reminds me of something that happened to me which showed the helpfulness of people.

Many years ago when I was in NW Scotland I needed someone to fix a broken tumble dryer. I went to a local shop and asked if they knew anyone who could do it.

The bloke gave me a phone number and said, "Ask for Ala". I rang the number and a woman picked up so I asked if I could speak to Ala. She said, "You have the wrong number, this is a phone box,"

I apologised and was going to ring off when she said, "Who was it you wanted?" and I explained I needed to someone to fix my tumble dryer. She said she knew who I wanted but didn't know his number.

Again I was going ring off when she said, "I'll give you my sister's number, she knows Ala's number. Ask for Anne."

I rang the number she gave me and the woman's sister seemed unconcerned that a completely unknown person had been given her number, and gave me the number I needed.

I was amazed by how helpful some folks can be.

Dave

Reminds me of something that happened to me which showed the helpfulness of people.

Many years ago when I was in NW Scotland I needed someone to fix a broken tumble dryer. I went to a local shop and asked if they knew anyone who could do it.

The bloke gave me a phone number and said, "Ask for Ala". I rang the number and a woman picked up so I asked if I could speak to Ala. She said, "You have the wrong number, this is a phone box,"

I apologised and was going to ring off when she said, "Who was it you wanted?" and I explained I needed to someone to fix my tumble dryer. She said she knew who I wanted but didn't know his number.

Again I was going ring off when she said, "I'll give you my sister's number, she knows Ala's number. Ask for Anne."

I rang the number she gave me and the woman's sister seemed unconcerned that a completely unknown person had been given her number, and gave me the number I needed.

I was amazed by how helpful some folks can be.

Dave

My experience has been that there are far more helpful people than unhelpful ones. However the helpful people never get mentioned because reports of their actions do not sell newspapers, nor allow the editorial staff to use such news to push their particular political views.

TV and Radio stations do exactly the same thing, a perfect example of this is Jeremy Vine, known as Jeremy Whine to some, because nearly all of his programme content dwells on the negative aspects of life.

Just got back from a 90 minute walk in the local nature reserve. It was warm but with a nice breeze. Weather permitting, I shall try to make this a daily event.

Waking up in Crete after a long day yesterday.

For the first couple of mornings, we kept hearing a young buzzard squawking not too far from the balcony but couldn't pinpoint exactly where it was coming from. This morning though, just after I had put my contact lenses in, it appeared between the branches but mostly in the shade. Grabbed a quick shot while I could and then set up a bit better in terms of exposure and got the shot below, which cropped in camera to give me the third shot.

DSCF2010.JPG

DSCF2009.JPG

DSCF2008.JPG

Not perfect but OK for a fully racked out zoom on a 1.4x telecon!

To improve things even further, we headed up into the mountains that form the spine of Crete for a cup of coffee at a café where we've seen what I'm told are Griffon Vultures (or Gypas as they're called here) and were lucky enough to see them again and grab a couple of acceptable snaps - not (IMO!) good enough for the birds section but fine for holiday snaps. Not forking out the £££ for a better birding lens - haven't got the skill or patience to put it to proper use or to be bothered carrying it around!

DSCF2006.JPGDSCF2007.JPG

Both are hefty crops - the blighters were close to a kilometre away. The Buzzard was about 50 metres away (and still is - yet to fly the nest, I'd guess, although it has been flapping a bit. We were lucky enough to see one fledge from a nest in the tree next to this nest about 5 years ago.

A few years ago my favourite café back in my old stomping ground closed and IMVHO they produced some of the best cakes I have ever tasted and I've tasted a few. What cheered me up is I have now learnt that although they closed their own café and garden centre they are suppling cakes to another café in the area and we are heading that way in a few weeks.

WCMUT? A trip to Salisbury to see the Peregrines at the cathedral. Even managed to catch a food pass, and then two juveniles playing "tug of war" with it in the air.

Magnificent birds....

WCMUT? A trip to Salisbury to see the Peregrines at the cathedral. Even managed to catch a food pass, and then two juveniles playing "tug of war" with it in the air.

Magnificent birds....
I'll look forward to seeing the evidence:)

Let me tell you, from where we could stand to where they were roosting is about 60 or 70 metres. 560mm on a crop sensor with heat haze means you ain't going to get anything sharp!!!!
A pity.......

Certainly a privilege and wonderful sight to see.

Whenever I/we see nature in action it a wondrous thing :)

Rarely has a modern invention discovery cheered me up more than scheriproct. Especially glad I had a tube in the bathroom this evening.

Rarely has a modern invention discovery cheered me up more than scheriproct. Especially glad I had a tube in the bathroom this evening.
I was going to put a laughing smiley but that seemed inappropriate.

An email this morning confirming timings for tomorrow nights Eagle's gig at Murrayfield and reminding me to print the tickets off, they were done as soon as the email with the link arrived last week, guess what music wife has the hifi at the moment?;)

I have just received a handwritten postcard wishing me a Happy 70th Birthday, sent by the owners of a German campsite on the Rhine that we have used as a stopover while touring in our motorhome. We have visited the site most years since 2002 (apart from the last two years due to COVID). We are hoping to go there again next year on our way further south.

It's been a good week for me;

Yesterday we saw the 'resident' black browed Albatross at RSPB Bempton Cliffs near Bridlington, he was resting on a ledge out of our field of view when we got there but later in the afternoon we were fortunate enough to see it gliding back and forward below us amongst the Gannets. A wonderful sight.

Also, the trip computer on my recently acquired car (Honda Jazz Hybrid) said we had averaged 73.7 MPG on the round trip of just over 200 miles..... not bad since it just has 700 miles 'on the clock'.

Not been online for a few days - internet is often frustratingly slow here!

What has been cheering me up over the past few days was the juvenile Buzzard fledging (unexpected so didn't have a camera ready - it was breakfast time) and having flying lessons. One could have ended in disaster when the youngster landed on the driveway down to the back of the hotel and the landlady's dog took an interest... Luckily, the dog is about Corgi sized and isn't as brave as her bark so no harm to either!!!

WCMUT was an extra good lunch with a gorgeous view - always a good thing!

Baby birds... Tits, Sparrows, Goldfinches, Starlings, all on our feeders, plus a mother & 4 baby Blackbirds on the ground. Looks like it's been a good year for for garden birds down here...

Edit: And the baby Robins....

I got a letter today from my company pension saying they're upping it £330 per year, which is nice.

I didn't expect this as they offered me 2 options, a stated constant amount each month or a variable amount which increased over a period of time. I forget the details but the cross over point when the variable one paid more was after 16 years so I just went for the constant amount. I therefore didn't expect any rises.

So that's nice.

I left paid employment 12 years ago so it's nice to be getting an income.

Last edited:
Back