WCMUT....what cheered me up today

It won't interest anyone :D BUT..Very pleased to collect my new computer specs. at 3.30 today .Hopefully, no more typos etc on here. The strain lasts ages.

Actually processing a few images, it seems like it's been ages....

WCMUT?
By slightly altering the LBJ's seed feeder that stopped the wood pigeon, that had learned to balance on the bird feeder, and emptying the LBJ's seed feeder in less than 2 days.

Those and the feral's are a blight TBH, chasing off the various LBJ's from the feeding station.
And even trying to get at, or into the caged ground feeding station, which they can't, but still chase the smaller birds off, trying to.

Our woodies haven't figured out the balance thing and do a decent job of tidying up what the LBJs (actually, the goldfinches are the worst culprits for dropping seed) let fall. They still leave plenty for the other ground feeders (which seem to be almost exclusively dunnocks here.) The bigger problem is the starlings when they descend en masse and start squabbling over the fat blocks/balls. Luckily, they only hang around for a few minutes and the other visitors can get at everything.

WCMUT?
By slightly altering the LBJ's seed feeder that stopped the wood pigeon, that had learned to balance on the bird feeder, and emptying the LBJ's seed feeder in less than 2 days.

Those and the feral's are a blight TBH, chasing off the various LBJ's from the feeding station.
And even trying to get at, or into the caged ground feeding station, which they can't, but still chase the smaller birds off, trying to.
It’s a constant battle isn’t it? If I hang feeders from trees the squirrels empty them. I then put them on ‘clothes lines’ which the squirrels learnt to traverse. So I threaded the line through lengths of freely rotating gas tubing (or water, the yellow stuff) which sorted them. By then the feeders were well out in the open & the LBJs didn’t like it because of the Sparrowhawk :( So I attached old lily flower stalks to the feeder which a) gave a perch and b) meant the hawks didn’t get a clear line of attack. Seems to work ㋡.

and do a decent job of tidying up what the LBJs let fall.
I wouldn't mind if that's all they did!

The bigger problem is the starlings
They can descend here like a plague of locusts, at different times of the day.

t’s a constant battle isn’t it? If I hang feeders from trees the squirrels empty them
Actually I've got a squirrel, well 2 actually that visit regularly, and they eat some of the peanuts from the cage feeder.
They have never damaged it, and seem to manage quite well.
I don't mind that so much. BUT the first time they chew through the feeder that's when the traps get set..

There is a pair of Sparrowhawks here also, but they are happy to eat the feral pigeons, and not bother the LBJ's

Actually I've got a squirrel, well 2 actually that visit regularly, and they eat some of the peanuts from the cage feeder.
They have never damaged it, and seem to manage quite well.
I don't mind that so much. BUT the first time they chew through the feeder that's when the traps get set..

There is a pair of Sparrowhawks here also, but they are happy to eat the feral pigeons, and not bother the LBJ's
‘My‘ Sparrowhawks do the woodies (don’t have ferals) and blackbirds :( and exterminated the collared doves we used to have.

I don’t mind the squirrels,, there’s plenty for them and the dog likes playing with them ;).

and exterminated the collared doves we used to have.
I used to have dozens and dozens, of them it seems that they were all sitting on my roof and cooing down the chimney at daylight.
OK in the winter but bloody annoying mid summer!

I'd not seen any for a few years, I guess they were displaced by the feral's,
But just recently I've seen a couple of pairs.

I used to have dozens and dozens, of them it seems that they were all sitting on my roof and cooing down the chimney at daylight.
OK in the winter but bloody annoying mid summer!

I'd not seen any for a few years, I guess they were displaced by the feral's,
But just recently I've seen a couple of pairs.
I never had very many but they nested in a small tree in my garden. Their call is definitely annoying! :LOL:

If we're talking collared doves, for the past few years, there has been a pair nesting behind the A/C unit on the balcony outside "our" room in Crete. Last year, the 3rd brood fledged on our 2nd day and there were 2 more eggs in the nest the day before we left. Luckily, the double glazing is good and soundproof and the cicadas drown out the cooing when we're out on the balcony in the evening!

We get a couple of pairs here but not on a daily basis.

I sold my Prius last week and today I received a cheque from DVLA for the princely sum of £3.33 refunding what was left on the vel. It would have expired on June 30th and as the Prius is a hybrid I only paid £10 a year. If I didn't have a bus pass it would cost me £2 more to go to town to pay it into my bank. I'm just wondering what to spend a windfall like that on :)

Last edited:

..and a few weeks ago Jelster thought fans would tire of this sort of thing. I said maybe but not this season. When Newcastle United played West Ham away (at The Stadium) on February 19th every time Chris Wood (striker) came into contact with Kurt Zouma he 'meowed'..

Liverpool has a great reputation for humour, in general. Many of the comedians taking part in the 1970-1990's TV programme called 'The Comedians" were from Liverpool so this is typical of them. I recall being at an Everton v Liverpool game when I was a kid and an Everton player managed to get away with something..a foul,maybe....it was a very long time ago...lol.. and a Liverpool supporter behind me shouted ." Bloody 'ell ref. He's got more jam than Hartley's"

Each mornimng at 7.30 I go down the garden to a large Berberis shrub..8' (h) x (4') and put out crunched up fat balls, bird seed and crushed redskin peanuts and mealworms under it. I've put a 2' mesh around the sides and back of it as protection against a local cat that often visits looking for birds. It works well. A robin is always inside the shrub. Sometimes it comes down to the ground whilst I'm putting the food out. I keep the mealworms, which I've only just started adding, in a shallow bowl in water so they're soft and leave this bowl on the 3' high sundial two paces away on the lawn. I leave the worms to last so I'm not putting the other bits out with wet fingers so the crushed fat balls nuts don't stick to my fingers.Found out the hard way :)

The robin saw the worms this morning and when I turned to get them it was standing on the edge of the bowl helping itself :D

@JohnC6

The liverpool fan pages on FB are full of Zouma supporters crying racism, they get a little scouse humour back.

The robin saw the worms this morning and when I turned to get them it was standing on the edge of the bowl helping itself
I do something similar to you, plus hanging seed feeders and a ground feeder under a cage.
I get 2 robins here I think they must be a pair, no squabbling, but they are very flighty, I only have to open the back door some 30 odd feet away, and they are gone.

I do something similar to you, plus hanging seed feeders and a ground feeder under a cage.
I get 2 robins here I think they must be a pair, no squabbling, but they are very flighty, I only have to open the back door some 30 odd feet away, and they are gone.

This robin had a mate but I haven't seen it for quite a while.

We used to have an 8' wooden pole sunk into concrete with feeders on. I drilled holes in it and pushed in long dowels at different heights and opposite sides but it was difficult keeping up with the cleaning of the concrete. I used hot soapy water and a hard -bristle yard brush. It was a hygiene hazard and looked awful,too. We had a Retriever and, as you know, they a great sniffers.

I put the feed on the ground (hard soil) under the Berberis because sparrow hawks can't get into it and the with a few beats of the wings the birds are deep inside. It's very thorny. I've watched a couple of SH's trying to get at the birds (used to have a dozen or so sparrows in there) with wings outspread but the branches are thin/thorny and very dense. I'm surprised that some of the sparrows, that used to spend days inside, didn't have a heart attack through fear. Not peep out of them until it had gone then a chorus of relief..I assume.

This robin had a mate but I haven't seen it for quite a while.
Sitting on eggs?

We used to have an 8' wooden pole sunk into concrete with feeders on.
I have a thick 8-foot bamboo pole sunk and packed with stones for drainage,
crossbars made from thinner bamboo,

The ground cage is visible, but that and the pole are in quite a dense fern patch.
The bird bath is there also.
And a 6 odd feet Laurel hedging to one side, creeping ivy to the back, although that is still establishing.
No concrete and low maintenance.

Sitting on eggs?

I have a thick 8-foot bamboo pole sunk and packed with stones for drainage,
crossbars made from thinner bamboo,

The ground cage is visible, but that and the pole are in quite a dense fern patch.
The bird bath is there also.
And a 6 odd feet Laurel hedging to one side, creeping ivy to the back, although that is still establishing.
No concrete and low maintenance.

Hadn't thought of that..re nesting.That would be nice, then, if it were the case.

Sounds like plenty of cover there. They'd feel safe (y)

WCMUT was getting around the course today with the same ball I started with last Thursday! MOST unusual for a ball to last more than 1 round (much more likely to lose 2 or 3 but find 3 or 4 while looking for the lost ones!)

Now THIS is a photograph to melt your heart amongst all the doom and gloom.
View: https://BANNED/itsallymcmental/status/1501580586061910027?t=uXic8oAESpNG2zRL8cg4Cg&s=19

Last edited:
WCMUT?
Actually it's a case of what made me crack up today, well since yesterday.
From my local FB community :-
A person bought a bangle from a certain jewelry store ( name cropped out of image ).
It was over £300. It seems it worked itself loose, twisted and dug into the persons arm :thinking: ( Its alive its alive!)
She took it back to have it fixed, or refunded, and they refused to accept that it was a fault with the product ..
There are dozens of posts later trying to decide if they called the customer bent and twisted..

They need to look closer as they also called her a mf ho, I do find it interesting that mf ho's have their own customer service :LOL:

275805766_10228211597219504_440741798078256896_n.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like Ratner's kwolity speling...

WCMUT was getting a pair of quality tyres for Mrs Nod's MX-5 at a great price because they weren't "in the system". All above board so I could pay with my CC. Done in time for me to pick her up after her lunchtime class as a surprise so she can have more of a day off tomorrow - table booked for lunch!

WCMUT was getting a pair of quality tyres for Mrs Nod's MX-5 at a great price because they weren't "in the system". All above board so I could pay with my CC. Done in time for me to pick her up after her lunchtime class as a surprise so she can have more of a day off tomorrow - table booked for lunch!
Sunny days ahead, let's hope she's out there topless :oops: :$ :ROFLMAO:

She would have been topless today but it was just a town trip so didn't bother. A bit sluggish to start as well - been a few weeks since the last outing and I didn't plug the battery conditioner in. 60 mile round trip tomorrow so should top it up nicely. Forecast is topless time all the way and it's a nice road for it.

WWCMUT! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (What Will Cheer Me Up Tomorrow)

Another thing wot cheered me up today (after annoying me earlier!) was tracking down my (annoyingly) lost hat. Played at a different course last Friday and had left it there. On Saturday, I went down with a nasty bug (NOT covid!) and didn't miss the hat until today. Turns out that the pro at the strange club (who used to be one of the pros at the club where I usually play) had given it to the organiser of the event. Just need to meet up with him to collect it!

Well, the Lambretta has been gathering patina for 2 and a half years in the garden so thought it's time to sort it out and sell!
So far I've stripped and cleaned and replaced needle and jets in carb, removed, cleaned and refitted the petrol tank, replaced the knackered battery, stripped and rebuilt the front hydraulic brake caliper with new seals, pads and pistons, replaced the actual disc with a new one, got the electrics working. Just need some fresh 2 stroke tomorrow and see if it will fire up!!!

IMG_0378 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Back