Welding glass shots: show us what you can do ;)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
1,000 second exposure and that would have been absolutely epic.

Gary.

That 300 second exposure took.... hmmm.... about 20 minutes to process on the Sony :crying:

I have taken your advice and bought an ND filter, now all I seem to be doing it long exposure shots. You *******... look at what you've started. 1:30am was the time I got in this morning because of long exposure shots. I have to be in work for 9am!

That 300 second exposure took.... hmmm.... about 20 minutes to process on the Sony :crying:

I have taken your advice and bought an ND filter, now all I seem to be doing it long exposure shots. You *******... look at what you've started. 1:30am was the time I got in this morning because of long exposure shots. I have to be in work for 9am!

Welcome to my world :D A healthy balance is vital. How did they turn out?

Gary.

Welcome to my world :D A healthy balance is vital. How did they turn out?

Gary.

The one real keeper from last night:

3791719874_7fd3dd99d2.jpg

We got carried away with some Portrait shots through the sunset hours so missed most of that time.

It is only an ND4 for now, I will purchase another once I'm confident and screw that to the other filter?

The one real keeper from last night:

3791719874_7fd3dd99d2.jpg

We got carried away with some Portrait shots through the sunset hours so missed most of that time.

It is only an ND4 for now, I will purchase another once I'm confident and screw that to the other filter?

I like it, the moon is a pita though.

Gary.

Shouldn't that be the PITS
Pain in the Sky :D

Very good shots BTW ;)

I wonder how many lenses have been sold since I started the original £1 10 stop filter thread?

I imagine a hell of a lot Alby, because it won't just be those who said they were getting one, there will be many lurkers to :D

Think of it as supporting the welding equipment manufacturers :LOL:

Can I just ask whereabouts you can get welding glass? I'd love to try this kinda photography, the results are stunning

Just ordered my glass from fleabay... Can't wait to try it out.

I'll post my novice shots once I get my "filter" and we can all have a laugh together.

P.s any good tips for a beginner using the glass would be appreciated.

Lee

Keep reflection off the front and try to ensure no light is leaking in behind the glass. Set long exposure noise reduction too, oh and shoot in raw so you can adjust the wb. Have fun and looking forward to seeing what you come up with ;)

Well spent the afternoon at crosby beach and i thought ill give this welding glass malarky a go and im impress to say the least, best £1.50 ever spent.
So heres my 30sec expo result taken midday on a very bright sunny day(y)

crosby.jpg

Ozzy, that is stunning Mate and worth the real cost of a B&W 10 stopper at the very least. (y)

Well spent the afternoon at crosby beach and i thought ill give this welding glass malarky a go and im impress to say the least, best £1.50 ever spent.

crosby.jpg

F88ing happy days, that is one sweet shot!!

Here is my first proper effort with the welding glass. Dust spots check, no moving clouds check, you get the idea though!

copy.jpg

Amazing DOF you have achieved there Bruce, glad to see another one is working fine, Great shot Mate ;)

crosby.jpg

This one has got to be the best so far, it certainly drew my attention!!.

Been reading this thread (and it's sister thread) and, apart from laughing hysterically at the developments, I am really amazed at the results! Ozzy's one has me returning to it over and over - stunning shot. Now, if only I knew about long exposures and 10 stops and welding glass, then I could join in :LOL: Hopefully getting my DSLR tomorrow or Thursday so watch out boys!

Been reading this thread (and it's sister thread) and, apart from laughing hysterically at the developments, I am really amazed at the results! Ozzy's one has me returning to it over and over - stunning shot. Now, if only I knew about long exposures and 10 stops and welding glass, then I could join in :LOL: Hopefully getting my DSLR tomorrow or Thursday so watch out boys!

No hurry, CC ;)! You need a bit of patience for these kind of shots anyway, so waiting for your 450D to turn up should be good practise for you :D.

Here are a few I took today, first lot out and about, I need to tweak a few things but at least I now know what needs adapting. Great fun trying to get the killer shot though and a way to go yet.

3815668184_58988246be.jpg

3814866033_509ef20d37.jpg

3815681634_e071360105_o.jpg

3815669770_d6b07e5b31_o.jpg

3815669134_0ba582e55e_o.jpg

This is my effort, it's just part of a series of test shots I did as I wanted to see just how many stops it actually is, turns out it's closer to 12 stops. I'll admit that I've added the blue gradent on the sky as it was a bit washed out as I didn't have any grads to even it out (although I think it's too blue, but as it's a test I can't be bothered to change it). Still not bad for a test, and I've got a few good ideas for shots (although it looks like I've been beaten to the iron men at Crosby ;) )

3800538268_51c148fca8_o.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my 1st effort from watergate bay in cornwall......

3563253-2-watergate-bay.jpg

More to come (y)

Back