Welding glass shots: show us what you can do ;)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
5360_146568120615_548625615_3799477_3704136_n.jpg

Nice milky water, a few tweeks can give you this:

53601465681206155486256.jpg

Think I might have to give eBay a visit...

Taken on the recent TP Lake District Meet.

This is the result of handholding the filter and pressing the zoom lens in on accident LOL!
3852949515_57a21b31c1.jpg

Steven.

I did that accidentally and got a nice ghosting effect too but I deleted mine. Neat effect though.

much better :) how did you do it?

Cheers. I used Elements; straightened the horizon, then corrected the colour cast using the "auto colour" feature [tried it manually too, but auto actually did a better job] then removed the vignette with the "correct camera distortion" filter.

Thanks all, the previous one made in to #80 in 'Explore', here is another one. This has take me ages to clone out all the rain spots on the filter. The rain spot must refract the light and this causes very bright prurple spots. As a result the rest of the Crown Princess long exposures were a bit of a 'Fail' with a capital 'F', camera shake from the wind got a few shots and spray and rain messed up most the rest. Ah well, it will be back in again and I'll be waiting with my bit of welding glass :) ps, this was a 60 second exposure.

3867461776_ab015d1cc1_o.jpg

Another great shot Rob, how is your welding though? (y)

lol, lets just say nearest I've ever got anything welding is this bit of glass, although I'm awesome with a soldering iron ;)

absoloutely amazing what can be done with a £2 piece of welding glass :eek: , hopefully there will be 4 more people on here having a go soon (y)

Sweet, my 'Three Graces' shot just made it to the front page on explore! and in at #39, welding glass for the win :) I've never had so many hits on Flickr page!

Edit; Now it's up to #8, I'm suck a geek for checking up on it ;)

Edit (again); Now it's #1 yay :)

Last edited:
Sweet, my 'Three Graces' shot just made it to the front page on explore! and in at #39, welding glass for the win :) I've never had so many hits on Flickr page!

class :clap: , what sort of exposure were you using for the shots above ?? :)

Some awesome shots everyone, can't wait to have a serious go with mine. :)

class :clap: , what sort of exposure were you using for the shots above ?? :)

For the 'Three graces' the exposure was a blend of three in Photomatix, varying between 30 and 120 seconds, and for the ship it was just over 60 seconds :)

Hawker, fantastic shots. Got mine today from Darkmutton a grade 10. Turned up all ok.

Awaiting adapter ring but had a quick go out in the back garden earlier. Will post shot later.

Paul

Excellent Hawker (y) ive had some strange purple spots on mine, couldnt work out where they were coming from

Excellent Hawker (y) ive had some strange purple spots on mine, couldnt work out where they were coming from

It's strange - the only time i've had purple spot's on mine was after an evening spent in pontefract.... :thinking: er.... or are we still talking about photo's.... :LOL:

It maybe glare or light leaking in behind the glass and reflecting off the lens front element back onto the welding glass. Shield the sun or fix the light leak ;)

It's strange - the only time i've had purple spot's on mine was after an evening spent in pontefract.... :thinking: er.... or are we still talking about photo's.... :LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

the dreaded ponte-rash!!!, ive been vaccinated so im okay to venture out :nuts:

Another HDR Cruise ship from me, I'm getting slightly bored by shooting cruise ships, same angle, same setup etc, (the only reason why I did this one is that I've never photographed this particular ship). Anyway, it's came out pretty good, the blue sky came out to play for five minutes in an otherwise gray and flat sky.

3871008932_c3bc6b1f47_o.jpg

3870830417_db42106378.jpg

Just playing around with the modelling light of my flash through a welding mask. Batteries were going in the strobe hence the broken lines. Can't seem to get a good post white balance, so what you see is in-camera.

Nikon D90
Tokina 11-16mm @ f2.8
90secs

Im really struggling to get my WB sorted for these shots.

Tried taking photos of white card, grey card, gray skies..... everything, but my shots are still coming out green.

HELP!

Im really struggling to get my WB sorted for these shots.

Tried taking photos of white card, grey card, gray skies..... everything, but my shots are still coming out green.

HELP!

I dont know about Nikon D60 but someone will

with my canon I take a shot with the welding glass in place then choose custom WB use that shot as a custom WB, job done it will be right then (y)

Last edited:
I've tried that on my Nikon but it doesn't seem to be working :bang:

Suppose i'll just keep checking in to see if anyone can help with the nikon.

You can always correct them in software afterwards if you shoot raw.

It's a thought I suppose...

Shame I have no patience for these things :bang:

It's a thought I suppose...

Shame I have no patience for these things :bang:

I lose patiences quickly too, I only use Canon and as said before it is a simple procedure, I'm sure a Nikonian will be along and explain soon ;)

Cool, i'll give it a try when i get in from running errands for SWMBO :bang: :notworthy: :razz:

I've ordered a couple pieces of welding glass, but I'm unsure about what I need to mount it. I've not got a cokin p holder, and I like the look of the adapter ring route. Can someone just confirm that this is what I need:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000JLI26E/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Looks much thicker than the one shown earlier in this thread.. I can only assume that perhaps that was the 72mm? If anything this one will be easier to tape on then right? :)

They are thicker the smaller the thread size you order, it is the correct one Matthew ;)

Back