Welding glass shots: show us what you can do ;)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
Very nice Alf, it has a look of a very nice painting with all that smoothing going on. ;)
I'm also amazed how this welding glass photography has taken off from my first posting of it.

Very nice Alf, it has a look of a very nice painting with all that smoothing going on. ;)
Thanks for the comment luckily the wind was coming straight at the camera and the clouds were really moving.

1st attempt with one. After using it I know a lot more about elastic bands & how far certain ones stretch :LOL: must have gone through 3 packets since I got it!

Untitled by Joenail, on Flickr

Mine;

6254612538_26de8d7fe3_b.jpg

Thought Id get the blue tack and glass out again after it ripped part of my finger off a few months ago.

I've had some glass for a while now but never used it as I struggled with the WB, I've recently found Lightroom and it's great for getting rid of the colour cast so the glass may be coming out to play a bit more now, Just had a quick play with it yesterday and this is what I came up with.

DSC05836-3.jpg

Some fantastic shots taken on this thread recently. I love the "mood" that the welding glass brings. Superb.(y)

Superb shots ecniv! I still never got around to trying out any shots with the welding glass that I bought! Must do that soon!

This is one of my more successful welding glass long exposures.

La Jetée - square by Owen Franssen Photography, on Flickr

I attempted a few over the last few months but had to resolve a light leak issue when using it in my Cokin P holder.

First of all, wonderful shot (y) Secondly, if you don't mind me asking, how did you resolve the light leak issue while using the Cokin holder? My WG fits perfect in my holder but there is a massive gap between the WG and the lens :shrug:

What is the best way to use welding glass? Are most peeps just holding it on with elastic bands or using cokin filter holders?

Iv just been using elastic bands though I'm considering a holder or some description or just sacrificing a cheap filter and gluing it to that as one of the bands snapped the other day and i scratched it :(

I know there cheap n all but its was still annoying. . . :-/

Elastic bands just seems so primitive, but the filters themselves are really expensive. It's a tough call.
Not sure how much the cokins holders are though. <off to google>

First of all, wonderful shot (y) Secondly, if you don't mind me asking, how did you resolve the light leak issue while using the Cokin holder? My WG fits perfect in my holder but there is a massive gap between the WG and the lens :shrug:

I didn't... I had several suggestions, mostly involving using a sleeve of some sort, ranging from neoprene to an old sock.

What I did was get a cokin adapter ring to fit my lens (67mm in my case) and superglued it to the WG allowing me to attach it to my lens like a screw on filter - no gaps.

Adele: nice shot :)

Last edited:
Owen

I do the same thing as you. Seems to work pretty well, but do have to be careful when screwing the 'Filter' on as not to disturb the focus

Bought a Cokin holder and my welding glass was too thick :(

The cokin holder leaks too much tight anyway tape the glass to the adapter that screws to the lens or superglue it to it.

This was taken with a shade 8 glass from my local welding shop. I found the glass gave a strong green tint to the image that didn't look right corrected in photoshop so converted to black and white,

Rivington Falls by JB Stills, on Flickr

How do guys manage the white balance using welding glass? All with PP or is there anything you can do in camera? (canon 7d)

How do guys manage the white balance using welding glass? All with PP or is there anything you can do in camera? (canon 7d)

After taking the fist shot go into the menu, select custom WB, then choose the previous photo (y)

I've just got mine and thanks to the great advice in this thread I managed a couple of decent shots, just. Really need to find a way of cycling with a tripod... :D

Both 30 second exposures:

Bunker, welding glass 2. by Measurez, on Flickr

Bunker, welding glass. by Measurez, on Flickr

Cheers, Harry.

Back