What are you planning re haircuts

I cut what passes for my hair myself have done for decades (and it shows ;)) I'm a bit wary of barbers after seeing a sign in the window of one saying haircuts while you wait... As opposed to what exactly? leaving your hair there and picking it later....

I cut what passes for my hair myself have done for decades (and it shows ;)) I'm a bit wary of barbers after seeing a sign in the window of one saying haircuts while you wait... As opposed to what exactly? leaving your hair there and picking it later....
It worked well enough for Little Ern!

Sorry, I felt strangely compelled to channel some Eric Morecambe there!

Last edited:
I actually knew his daughter Gale years ago. shes a month older than me.
He's one of the people I'd like to have met, a man after my own heart... As my rather miserable old grandfather once said when watching him on TV whilst trying his best not to chuckle too much "He's a daft bugger, he is!".

Last edited:
I saw someone walking down the street today.
My first thought was "Gonk with a bowl cut."
Not flattering. :facepalm:

I let my wife have a go last week. Trouble is I only had a beard trimmer, not clippers, so more time was spent unclogging than cutting.

Also I learnt something that I had never contemplated before, and that is what hair length grades actually mean. I normally ask for a #1 back and sides, so I dialled in 1mm to my beard trimmer before letting my wife get to work.
As it turns out the grades relate to eighths of an inch, so a grade 3 for example would be 3/8inch, or roughly 9mm. I have spent the last week looking like a cut price peaky blinder. :LOL:

I use a 30 year old set of Wahl clippers and just go to the bone. It's 35 years since I started to go bald, had a spell of trying to look cool with a bit of Donald Trump style then one day decided to get a barber to take the rest off. Got a few funny looks and my late Mum asked me what the "F" I had done.Never been to a hairdresser since. I have small mirror to check the back and just keep going until I cut no more off.

Wife did a trim with nail scissors. Got some ‘ proper’ scissors yesterday via amazon. If I do not post on Sunday please call 999 and I leave all my belongings to my children!

Wife did a trim with nail scissors. Got some ‘ proper’ scissors yesterday via amazon. If I do not post on Sunday please call 999 and I leave all my belongings to my children!
Even if you survive, will we be able to recognise you? ;)

1588371548743_IMG-20200430-WA0015.jpg
I'm beginning to like my new look.
And yes, it is me, though some subtle editing may have taken place..

Last edited:
#1 all over the head, just like I've had it for about 20 years. Could do it myself but tend to catch the clipper attachment in a nostril so let Mrs Nod do it for me!
So was mine, many moons ago!

Usually have a #1 all over every few weeks but have sort of decided to let it grow until lockdown is over. Luckily, the fringe dangling into my eyes is rather unlikely to be a problem these days!!! Will be trimming the lip line of the moustache but letting the beard grow.

Ended up with a mixture... Couldn't face myself in the mirror with bed hed so have gone the #1 route for the top bit and am keeping the beard long for the time being. Will probably go back to #1 all over (the head, at least!!!) once the current situation is a bit more resolved.

I think I could do with another haircut / shave. I always feel so much better afterwards. Although I have not bothered too much lately, as I have been staying scruffy at home. :)

Well this is not a subject I've never expected to see on TP!
Due to a bald patch and thining hair I have a grade 2 and ex girlfriend usually cuts it for me as she is a hairdresser but due to the lockdown that's been put on hold.
A couple of people have said I should do it myself but I'm not confident enought to do it without leaving a long patch at the back,
I've started to get a fringe as it needs cutting so think I'll probably end looking like that Jesus bloke.
Barbers are going to be very busy with things return to normal.

Do it yourself, Darran! Dead easy with a set of clippers - just stick the #2 guard on them and buzz away - when you can't hear the things cutting any more, you're done. Let's face it, only your nearest and dearest will be seeing it in the near future and then you can get it done "properly" after the duration.

I shaved all mine off a couple of weeks ago.. been 15 years since i last had a shaved head. I don't hate it

I did the same and figured I'd stick with it. I've been lazy for the last few days though and it's grown back a bit.

I ordered what I thought was a [Head] hair clippers but what showed up in the post was actually a beard trimmer ... d'oh! read descriptions carefully! Regardless, I had already convinced the missus to have a go at cutting my hair so wasn't backing out. She used a not very sharp old scissors on top and did best she could with the trimmer around the sides. Biggest differences between a proper head clippers and a beard trimmer is the width, and you don't get the same combs[?] - the ones I got only went from a grade 3 down, so definitely not for anyone who likes to keep a bit of length. We ended up with a bit of a Peaky Blinder style :ROFLMAO: but it's grown back in fine. I have good healthy hair that grows pretty quick, so if I did have to hide it'd only be for a few days.

I got my first lockdown haircut today when some cordless clippers I'd ordered off amazon turned up :D

I went out into the garden to DIY but Mrs WW insisted on doing it. She refused to listen to any input and acted like she and my hair were having some sort of mad sword fight and stood back and jabbed at it. The result is patchy, a scalping in some places and not enough in others but hey-ho, I don't care :D

These clippers only have a few reviews and mostly bad but I have to say for the price, only £23.99, I can't see any problem and although they do look and feel cheap, and they are, they did the job with seemingly ruthless efficiency when given the chance :D

Here they are...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087GDC6BM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
From the reviews, the patchy cut is a feature of the clippers rather than any failure by Mrs Woof Woof.

From the reviews, the patchy cut is a feature of the clippers rather than any failure by Mrs Woof Woof.

They're just clippers. They didn't cut patchy by themselves, someone was wielding them. It's just the first time Mrs WW has used anything like that.

It is possible the people leaving bad reviews have blunt ones as anything is possible including the clippers being perfectly fine and the users not using a good technique, or any technique.

They are just cheap clippers and they in no way feel professional grade but having said that they feel as well made as the Braun electric shaver I have that cost a lot more years ago. I doubt they'd stand up to salon use but for cutting hair at home every few months they're perfectly fine. I'll give them 5 stars as at the price I really couldn't ask for more.

PS.
I put them on charge last night and they're hardly warm. I don't know if I expected them to actually melt or burn the house down but I'm a little more impressed that they didn't :D

Last edited:
Well this is not a subject I've never expected to see on TP!
Due to a bald patch and thining hair I have a grade 2 and ex girlfriend usually cuts it for me as she is a hairdresser but due to the lockdown that's been put on hold.
A couple of people have said I should do it myself but I'm not confident enought to do it without leaving a long patch at the back,
I've started to get a fringe as it needs cutting so think I'll probably end looking like that Jesus bloke.
Barbers are going to be very busy with things return to normal.
A grade 2 is quite short so if you got some clippers you could start with a 4 or 3 first. I cut my husbands and he wanted it shorter so just did it himself. I did it again the other day for him with a No. 3. I think you might struggle to get a nice edge at the back, but you'd get away with not doing the edge until after lockdown.

I prefer my hair tidy/trimmed, but I don't like it cropped short, so I'll just wait until my barber reopens. Doesn't matter if it gets a bit long in the meantime.

Mine is about 15mm long now and it's doing my nut in!

Somehow I have my clippers but the charger has vamoosed!

Shopping online reveals a massive price hike on hair clippers and none in stock. You used to be able to pick a set up with all the bits and bobs for £20 in any big supermarket.

We ordered what looks like an ok set last week - for twice that price - and when it arrived it was a small hair detailer with 1,2 and 3mm guides. So that's gone back :(

Mine is about 15mm long now and it's doing my nut in!

Somehow I have my clippers but the charger has vamoosed!

Shopping online reveals a massive price hike on hair clippers and none in stock. You used to be able to pick a set up with all the bits and bobs for £20 in any big supermarket.

We ordered what looks like an ok set last week - for twice that price - and when it arrived it was a small hair detailer with 1,2 and 3mm guides. So that's gone back :(

You might be able to buy a charger. I managed to replace a lost one for a window cleaner gadget via Amazon, which then turned up within days [emoji849]

A second set of clippers arrived yesterday. These are the original "in stock" ones I ordered weeks ago but the confirmation email quoted delivery by the end of May to mid June so I ordered another set which came quickly but these first ones arrived earlier than expected, so I now have two sets and this last set to arrive was even cheap then the other set :D

I did think about sending these back unopened but they were so cheap I'll probably just hang onto them in case the other set conk. I'm impressed with these cheap clippers. They'll pay for themselves very quickly.

Also, I dug my Braun shaver out just to look at the feel and build and these cheap clippers look and feel easily as well made as the big name shaver that cost a lot more years ago. If they'll last is another question but at the price I'm happy.

Trouble with cheap trimmers is what happens if they fail half way through the haircut? :)

It's a good idea to have a spare set if you only buy cheap ones. (y)

Twice I have been caught out with breakdowns mid-cut, but since I started using a good set of Wahl clippers I've not had a problem.

Just thought about this. If things go on for months would you trust your Mrs with a pair of clippers on your head? Will there be a shortage on Amazon? Singletons, are you happy with a potential full on Jesus look?
My Wife has cut mine ever since we married, just using normal scissors but even if she hadn't lockdown would be good time for practice :)
If your assistant is not as artistic as my wife & makes a mess of things it can always be cut to one fingers width from the scalp - which looks quite presentable.
Before meeting her I once trimmed my own hair (awkward but not impossible) & I've now twice removed a full grown beard. My Avatar shows me before the first time at a point when my hair was also longer than usual..

Last edited:
Trouble with cheap trimmers is what happens if they fail half way through the haircut? :)

I'd get the spare :D

These Made In China by people we've never heard of ones are cheap but time will tell if they're any worse than the branded ones costing much more.

The fit and finish and the way the various accessories fit and remove without play do make that first one I used feel like a good enough product and the fact that it was hardly warm after charging was a relief too. Time will tell but as the branded ones were all out of stock cheap and cheerful or nothing was the choice.

That's ok for you but what about if you've only 1?

Wear a hat when you go out!

That's ok for you but what about if you've only 1?

Worried about them conking?

I learned long ago that price and quality often don't directly relate and at £20 or so they'll pay for themselves after one or two hair cuts, depending on how much you pay. That won't necessarily help you if they fail mid cut and you don't have a spare but who's to say the branded ones which are possibly made in the same factory are guaranteed be any better.

Back