What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Juvenile? …ok, that could be it! :)
Yes, at this site there have recently been a couple of adults and three juveniles ... I've not photographed juveniles before only adults e.g. ...

Little Ringed Plover
by Roger, on Flickr

Ringed Plovers are slightly larger and do not have the yellow eye-ring but this one is definitely a Little Ringed Plover :)

A trip down Rivelin Valley, near Sheffield today. An enjoyable day out with the camera.

GSC_8111 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

GSC_8174 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

GSC_8366-Edit by Gilbo B, on Flickr

GSC_8217 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

I think the last one is a tree creeper? First time I've seen one, was really thrilled to see something new!!

Correct with the Treecreeper. Great little birds, aren't they? :)

Really nice patterning on their wings. I saw something land on the other side of a tree, and thought initially it was a nuthatch, but once I was able to see it, realised it was something different. Such a small bird, and didn't seem too aware of me - too busy feeding on little insects on the bark of the tree I think. Hopefully I'll spot one again in the future!! Nothing beats seeing something new. Getting a picture of it is like getting that little collectable to add to your goodie bag!!

Last edited:
It's difficult to gauge the size of the bird, but to me, the markings look like a juvenile Dunlin.

It's difficult to gauge the size of the bird, but to me, the markings look like a juvenile Dunlin.

Cheers Steve, my first thought was Dunlin but the legs seemed a little long?

There had been a Knot seen an hour earlier at the pool, it wasn't there when we arrived but this dropped in about 10 minutes later .......Dunlin are fairly common at the pool but there was just something about this looked a little different

Cheers Steve, my first thought was Dunlin but the legs seemed a little long?

There had been a Knot seen an hour earlier at the pool, it wasn't there when we arrived but this dropped in about 10 minutes later .......Dunlin are fairly common at the pool but there was just something about this looked a little different
The bill looks different on a Knot and has Grey / Green legs, unless its been walking in mud ;) That's why I thought it was a Dunlin.

I would go for juvenile Chiffchaff - then again, I have changed my mind and just looked at my books. The bill looks more Willow now.

Last edited:
Heavy crop but I have this down as a Knot, confirmation on ID appreciated, cheers

Certainly a possible, bill is indicative of Knot or Sanderling, colours not truly representative of either but there is such variation ... inland or coastal?

Certainly a possible, bill is indicative of Knot or Sanderling, colours not truly representative of either but there is such variation ... inland or coastal?
Wrong colour and bill for a Sanderling, in my opinion - just had another look in my Collins book.

Keep posting Shirley, we like to see all bird photos here :)
It looked alright on Facebook but here they were both far too large and blurred. One of them I was about 5ft when taking the photo so the crop wasn't tight. The photo's on this thread look stunning, clear and sharp but mine look crap.

It looked alright on Facebook but here they were both far too large and blurred. One of them I was about 5ft when taking the photo so the crop wasn't tight. The photo's on this thread look stunning, clear and sharp but mine look crap.

If you feel your photos aren't as good as you would like post a few in a main thread and ask for help and advice rather than crit and be sure to include all exif and as much information about the circumstances around the taking of the photo ... there are plenty on here who will try to help you :)

Wrong colour and bill for a Sanderling, in my opinion - just had another look in my Collins book.
Possibly ... the bill is 'similar' in my view but colours are so variable it's difficult to say.

@gramps @kentbirder

Thanks chaps, it was taken at Thornwick Pool, Flamboro'. If there hadn't been a Knot reported earlier I would've thought Dunlin.

I think either me or Lynn took some shots of a Dunlin in a very similar area from the main hide, I'll dig one out, might help with size comparison ect, cheers

I have a passion for Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers and it is very hard to tell the juv apart. But, they are breeding in my back field and more for id I'll put up the juv Chiffchaffs, they feet are black as with the legs, their bodies are much paler with a tint of green on the side of the body where as the WW have yellow feet and pale yellow bodies, the beaks vary so much.
Chiffchaff 10th 2017.jpg

Willow Warbler 22nd July 2017.jpg This is re-sized much smaller, I didn't do a heavy crop with it, it could have been too close to me at I took its photo, didn't know I was watching it.

@Shirleyr Two good shots for helping with ID Shirley (y) You've caught the Chiffchaff in a great pose :)

Question from someone who's pretty new to birding:

Is it normal to see lots of birds with bald heads at this time of year? I was on holiday in Devon for the first 2 weeks of July and saw 2 bald robins, then I saw a bald wagtail on Saturday, and a bald great tit yesterday.

Or is it just coincidence? Or am I just noticing because I'm looking at birds more than I used to?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76999116@N05/

Last edited:
Jon, the Robin and Pied Wagtail look as though they are busy feeding, I expect a 2nd brood. The other bird looks like a sick Great Tit, has it got nasty growths round its eye. BTO has reported that Chaffinches are suffering from something similar.

Question from someone who's pretty new to birding:

Is it normal to see lots of birds with bald heads at this time of year? I was on holiday in Devon for the first 2 weeks of July and saw 2 bald robins, then I saw a bald wagtail on Saturday, and a bald great tit yesterday.

Or is it just coincidence? Or am I just noticing because I'm looking at birds more than I used to?

Yes, it's normal. They're going through the moult :)

I have a passion for Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers and it is very hard to tell the juv apart. But, they are breeding in my back field and more for id I'll put up the juv Chiffchaffs, they feet are black as with the legs, their bodies are much paler with a tint of green on the side of the body where as the WW have yellow feet and pale yellow bodies, the beaks vary so much.
View attachment 106889

View attachment 106890 This is re-sized much smaller, I didn't do a heavy crop with it, it could have been too close to me at I took its photo, didn't know I was watching it.

Not much wrong with that 1st one Shirley ... if you were really close to the 2nd then it could be that it was just too close for the lens to focus properly. :)

Back