What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

No pictures - the light's too low to catch them since they're a bit flighty... We've often had 3 or 4 Goldies on the feeders but today has seen at least 6 at the same time - possibly more. Might even pop into Wilko to get a Niger feeder since I have a feeling that's a species favourite.

5 minutes after hanging it up...

DSCF0896.jpg

Its not easy scratching a living in this weather ...
I cleared the path a couple of hours ago, put food out ... Snowing hard again ...

129A3827.jpg

The cold weather is moving a lot of birds where they wouldn't normally be. Driving home today a woodcock flew up from the front garden of a farmhouse and across the road in front of me. I know we get quite a few here, but I've only ever seen them either flighting at dusk or flushed in woodland.

I added some bread today as the some thrushes and blackbirds have discovered the feeder. They've been on the ground underneath picking up the robins leftovers.
I had a redwing on the bread feeder but there's quite skittish and it went as the camera clicked.
IMG_8006.jpg

The cold weather is moving a lot of birds where they wouldn't normally be. Driving home today a woodcock flew up from the front garden of a farmhouse and across the road in front of me. I know we get quite a few here, but I've only ever seen them either flighting at dusk or flushed in woodland.

They are really struggling here Jan (cracking woodcock image above Steve) . I did the rounds today on foot we can't get out. I saw maybe ten maybe15, woodcock (it's difficult to know if one is seeng the same bird twice with that many hedges walked.I should see 2 or 3 There are just a few places open it's desparate for them. Jan I saw what I thought was 3 partridge,it was three woodcock all feeding together,i've seen snipe multiple and know woodcock will congregate where they can feed in times of need!! But i've never seen three trying to feed in snow before. all right besides each otherThey will need a break very soon it's really concerning. Their instinct might be to move west which will be awful from here . same with snipe. One was trying to feed in a puddle on our road and alot on the wing trying to find somewhere to feed. There was no one about and they were in the air all over the place, landing trying to get their beaks in then moving on. It's hard seeing these guys struggle

I'm loving the snow but it's harsh for our birds.!!!!

stu

So now we need bird ident time please. Is this a Buzzard? I was trying to get closer but the dog came bonding up and spooked it.

IMG_8045.jpg

I'd just call these Gulls but my twitcher friend would know what they were, but I got one of each on posts :D
IMG_8054.jpg

So now we need bird ident time please. Is this a Buzzard? I was trying to get closer but the dog came bonding up and spooked it.

View attachment 121423

I'd just call these Gulls but my twitcher friend would know what they were, but I got one of each on posts :D
View attachment 121424

Black Headed Gulls (The black spot on the head is winter plumage). The one with the black head has me stumped, as BH gulls actually have brown heads. It could be a Mediterranean Gull , but that's out of my ability. Gulls are always a b***h to Id.....

Looking again, I think it is a BH gull in mating plumage. I was always led to believe BH gulls actually had dark brown heads, not black, where Med gulls der a little bigger, with a bigger bill, darker legs and very black heads.

Last edited:
Black Headed Gulls (The black spot on the head is winter plumage). The one with the black head has me stumped, as BH gulls actually have brown heads. It could be a Mediterranean Gull , but that's out of my ability. Gulls are always a b***h to Id.....

Looking again, I think it is a BH gull in mating plumage. I was always led to believe BH gulls actually had dark brown heads, not black, where Med gulls der a little bigger, with a bigger bill, darker legs and very black heads.

Little gulls and Bonaparte's gulls also have black heads but this is more likely to be a black headed gull. Black wingtips only with BHG.

I appreciate this is a rubbish picture (grabbed through the living room window) but a housey with nesting material? A bit early, especially considering the weather? 04/03/2018

DSCF5466 TP.jpg

He's been doing this for a few days now.

Early too?
Maybe not nesting then, living? Early morning they are there singing, we often get robins and blackbirds nesting in the conifers at the back, we've got sparrows in the corners of the roof.

I should also add we had 9 red kites circling Lydiard Park around 11am. I've seen the odd one or two here but not 9

I appreciate this is a rubbish picture (grabbed through the living room window) but a housey with nesting material? A bit early, especially considering the weather? 04/03/2018
He's been doing this for a few days now.

I've got Pampas grass outside the study window that I always leave for the sparrows to strip. It's 1-2 foot from the glass so 3 foot from me watching them. They've started stripping it already.

Back