What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

I should also add we had 9 red kites circling Lydiard Park around 11am. I've seen the odd one or two here but not 9

We have at least 3 pairs over here in Hayes/West Drayton (near Uxbridge) at the moment, and another pair sited in Ruislip today. They are definitely moving further South from the Chilterns.

4FF80773-5496-44E6-8270-E3EBCA17F75F.jpeg
This female black cap has been terrorising everything else on my feeders for a few days. I apologise for the quality - huge crop, 135mm lens through old, dirty, rain spattered double glazing - but the best I could do.

Black cap 180304 03
by Jannyfox on Talk Photography

I had the same problem with a male Blackcap. He was chasing off everything that came near the feeders and just sat on a branch guarding them for a week or so. I ended up moving the fat balls he was feeding on down to the bottom of the garden and peace was restored to the peanut and seed feeders.

I've had black caps in the garden before and not really had the same problem. My garden is in the process of having a complete rip-everything-out-start-from-scratch makeover so all my feeders are located near a shrub in my neighbours' garden that overhangs the fence and gives the birds some cover and a good perch. The new planting is all planned around wildlife so next winter things will be very different. Unfortunately my black cap favours the sunflower hears in the covered feeder that the tits, goldies and robins use. At the moment I only have one of those feeders but I think I'll be getting another once I have somewhere to hang it.

I've had black caps in the garden before and not really had the same problem. My garden is in the process of having a complete rip-everything-out-start-from-scratch makeover so all my feeders are located near a shrub in my neighbours' garden that overhangs the fence and gives the birds some cover and a good perch. The new planting is all planned around wildlife so next winter things will be very different. Unfortunately my black cap favours the sunflower hears in the covered feeder that the tits, goldies and robins use. At the moment I only have one of those feeders but I think I'll be getting another once I have somewhere to hang it.

Last year we had a pair of Blackcaps in the garden and they chased off every bird from every feeder (we had 6 feeders up!), the only ones brave enough to stand up to them were the Goldfinches.

Put food out, put a bath out, and you never know what'll drop by ;)

129A3835.jpg

Its seems to think its a Cormorant, ..... but I'm not so sure

129A3844.jpg

(Yeah I know I cheated ,, but at least its native :D )

Can anyone identify this please - not one I think I've seen before.

Never met these guys in person but a lot of members
had the luck… it looks like a LTT… maybe juvenile or
female I don't know! … guessing :D

Nesting is definitely going on. The local pigeons are carrying twigs around, blackbirds are carrying stuff.

Was watching a group of four Water Rails yesterday.
Generally they were keeping their distance from one another but every now and then one would get to close to another, with the resultant expression of outrage ... this one charged, beak open at one transgressor.

Railing-Rail.jpg

this one charged, beak open at one transgressor

Was it squealing like a little piglet as well gramps, they do make the funniest noise :)

Was it squealing like a little piglet as well gramps, they do make the funniest noise :)
Not the usual squeal Ian, more an aggressive sound.

Is this at Slimbridge, Roger? My partner and I are going up on Sunday. Got the text yesterday - he's having a stressful week at work. It's his way of unwinding.
Yes Jan, from the Willow Hide, you would be very unfortunate not to see at least one if you are patient. :)

Cheers. I wish the face was a little sharper.
Well, I had the face, you've got the tail which is pretty distinctive. I'm amazed I get and decent photos shooting through the windows of the log cabin my home office is in.

Back