What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

wet Greenfinch

wet.jpg

Managed to grab my first Kingfisher shot today.:)

I found this site late last year and everytime I have been there I have managed to see a KF, but only flying, so today was the first opportunity to grab a couple of shots, it was landing on the other side of river, but managed these huge crops. KF must have been 100-150mtrs away?

Also managed a couple of grab shots of a Grey Wagtail, again large crops so not so much detail. Maybe I need to buy a crop camera, to give me a little bit more reach;)

1st Kingfisher shot, very large crop though. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Grey Wagtail, large crop though! by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
Congratulations on your 1st Simon :)

Thanks Gramps,

If I had been a bit quicker I could have managed a shot from <10 meteres away. I need to get up there early sometime, and try and see if I can get better photos when it's feeding etc..... Still chuffed though:D

@gramps

Couple of question for you. As you can see from below, the large crop I have done of the Kingfisher. I was using the D810 in x1.2 crop mode, with my 150-600mm slightly wound back from 600mm for sharpness, so a FF equivalent of approx 720mm. From your experience, would a DX body using the same lens with a equivalent FOV of 900mm give a better photo over the D810 in this case, or would the DX struggle more with the crop even at 900mm??

Also, is there a plugin or similar, for finding out the distance for the focus point?

DSC_7035 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

@gramps

Couple of question for you. As you can see from below, the large crop I have done of the Kingfisher. I was using the D810 in x1.2 crop mode, with my 150-600mm slightly wound back from 600mm for sharpness, so a FF equivalent of approx 720mm. From your experience, would a DX body using the same lens with a equivalent FOV of 900mm give a better photo over the D810 in this case, or would the DX struggle more with the crop even at 900mm??

Also, is there a plugin or similar, for finding out the distance for the focus point?

I think it's just too far away Simon, even with the opportunity to crop with the 24MP D7200 you will not have anything more than a record shot.
I don't know of any software that gives distance ... not that there isn't but I don't know of one. :)

@gramps

DSC_7035 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

This is in your EXIF is it the distance or is it something else?
  • Approximate Focus Distance - 75

This is in your EXIF is it the distance or is it something else?
  • Approximate Focus Distance - 75

Thanks Mike,

I can now see it in the EXIF. I had stopped looking when I saw the below.

• Subject Distance Range - Unknown

wet Greenfinch

wet.jpg
Wet but healthy, I like birds after they have had a bath, then they find somewhere to hide and in no time all fresh and nice looking. I think I mean pretentious, I had to google that word, it mean nice looking:)

Very nice to at least get a record shot of a KF, Simon (y)

I always use that Approximate Focus Distance in my exif to see how far something was. I thought it was in feet?

Thanks Wez, now to get something better.

With the distance, Flickr is showing the Grey Wagtail as 53m? and as this is taken approx half way from the KF, so as a guess, I thought it was about 100m plus. The photo is taken at the mouth where two rivers merge, so I would have thought it would be in meteres from Flickr??

Also, the lens goes to 30m, plus the camera is in 1.2 crop mode, plus the huge crop I think it must be measuring in meteres??

Hush listen.....................is that den I hear laughing (told you they weren't up to your quality den lol), best shots I could get of this fine bird :)

Cattle Egrets, if you have not seen one ....... shot taken in a farmers field just down from were we live

could not get near for obvious reasons, but the wider shots show the size of the bird

seen them for years about the same times of the year . they migrate in, (I think that they are now on their way back) ... 10 years ago there would have been 50, now maybe 10 maximum

CE_1.jpg

CE_2.jpg

CE_3.jpg

Last edited:
Visit to Slimbridge yesterday. I haven't been there for too long.................

This male ruff hasn't fully moulted out of his breeding finery. It's unbelievable just how fast their beaks move!

Ruff by Jan, on Flickr

Grren sandpiper. A bit of a long range record shot but I liked the reflection.

Green sandpiper by Jan, on Flickr

Snipe. It's not often I get to see one of these right out in the open. Another long range shot but I was chuffed just to see this one. There were several around, but the others were as usual blending into the earth an inch from cover.

Snipe by Jan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back