What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

That's a beauty! :clap:

Thank you Gramps. I've had my eye on this Kestrel for a week or so and was very lucky to spend a good 30 mins photographing it last night. Could of stayed longer, and should of for nicer light, but I didn't want to stress it or stop any feeding that might happen before dark.

It was feeding on bugs in the long grass which I tried to photography but don't think I got a good shot of that. Great character and hopefully I'll be able to watching him into adulthood.

Last edited:
Thanks to Dan @drooke , who spotted a couple of Little Owls and a fledgling and took me to the location the other evening, I've managed to get a few of my first Little Owl shots this afternoon :)

Little Owl
by Phil D, on Flickr

Little Owl by Phil D, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great shots. I'd love to photo a little owl.

Thanks :), I've been after one for a while, luckily my Long-eared Owling buddy spotted these and was happy to share their location, I think I owe him a :beer: :D

Reactions: WWA
Male Black Cap

more around now that the berries are out

long big crop ......... and slightly missed the focus, (annoying)

black_cap.jpg

Last edited:
Male Black Cap

more around now that the berries are out

long big crop ......... and slightly missed the focus

Nice capture with the berry in its beak, can't help thinking it's over-exposed though, affecting the detail more than the missed focus :)

black_cap.jpg

Nice capture with the berry in its beak, can't help thinking it's over-exposed though, affecting the detail more than the missed focus :)

View attachment 70113

thanks Roger - I was at +0,3 ... will have another look ...... although it is hanging about outside as I type so maybe will get a better shot

not blisteringly hot today and overcastish . so better for images

not much better - too far away and for some reason the D810 is showing a lot of noise today

but at least the female joined her mate to have a go at the elderberries

they look like young, this years birds

600mm f4 + 1,4TC

and he flicked his head, to show off
black_cap_2.jpg

black_cap_3.jpg

OK she is looking right, but I wanted the berries
black_cap_4.jpg

Redstart has a go
black_cap_5.jpg

Great Tit watches

black_cap_6.jpg

Greenfinch looks on

black_cap_7.jpg

Last edited:
Like the mid-air catches :)

Our elderberries are just coming out too, but all I see eating them are the Woodpigeons!

And if you see anything else they are covered in stains around there beak :D

Liked this wood pigeon ruffling it's feathers, there had been a little skirmish with another wood pigeon, unfortunately I couldn't catch them both in the frame on my old workshop roof.

DSC_6714 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
Liked this wood pigeon ruffling it's feathers

You got the right shots but
is it its correct name?

…or are there many called "Wood pigeons"?

Last edited:

You got the right shots but
is it its correct name?

…or are there many called "Wood pigeons"?

Wood pigeons are the most common pigeons in the UK.

After looking a little closer, it seems as if the spelling is one word by some and the two words by others.:eek:.....But looking at the RSPB website it's one word, so I should use that I suppose, but, I have always spelt it as two words.:D

You learn something new everyday.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=pKObV8TTA9PW8gfphYrICw

Last edited:
Last edited:
A cluster of juveniles in my back field, its what happens where the strimmer dies in Spring, the grass and weeds grow. The birds are having a ball amongst the undergrowth. All juveniles to-day. Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Blue Tit, Chiffchaff and a charm of Goldfinches.
Charming juv Goldfinches.jpg Juv Blue Tit 2016.jpg Juv Chiffchaff 29th July 2016.jpg Juvenile Whitethroat 2016.jpg Willow Warbler 29th July 2016.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Barn Owl with kill from this evening, quick laptop edit sat in mi campervan, will have another look if it needs it when I'm back home :)

Barn Owl - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Black Headed and Lesser Black Backed Gulls and a swallow

Juvenile Black Headed Gull by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Lesser Black Backed Gull 3 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Lesser Black Backed Gull 2 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Lesser Black Backed Gull by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

swallow by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Oh and amagpie decided to get a look in too :)

Lesser Black Backed Gull 4 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr
These birds are massive, standing next to a BHG only shows how big. Saw both the LBB and the GBBG the other day, talk about stand out from the crowd.

Lovely weather but i blew it,sometimes i shoot jpeg and the settings where for the 45-175,i had read the 100-400 handled colour and contrast differently so it was all my fault.

P1040821.jpg

P1040788.jpg

Only ever seen a cuckoo through beanos before and then it was just a dot! So was happy to watch this one for an hour on Saturday over at Flamborough :)

Still quite a distance away, meaning heavy crops were only ever going to be record shots but still it was good to watch it feeding on caterpillars, a juvenile apparently.

Might add one or two more later :)

Juv Cuckoo.jpg

Last edited:
Only ever seen a cuckoo through beanos before and then it was just a dot! So was happy to watch this one for an hour on Saturday over at Flamborough :)

Still quite a distance away, meaning heavy crops were only ever going to be record shots but still it was good to watch it feeding on caterpillars, a juvenile apparently.

View attachment 70436
Super shot.

not much better - too far away and for some reason the D810 is showing a lot of noise today

but at least the female joined her mate to have a go at the elderberries

they look like young, this years birds

600mm f4 + 1,4TC

and he flicked his head, to show off
black_cap_2.jpg

black_cap_3.jpg

OK she is looking right, but I wanted the berries
black_cap_4.jpg

Redstart has a go
black_cap_5.jpg

Great Tit watches

black_cap_6.jpg

Greenfinch looks on

black_cap_7.jpg
I have just seen this post and I'm green with jealousy, a Redstart and a female Blackcap but just love the Redstart. First class photos.

Its my first wing dip,having PP problems though,if i edit in Camera Raw then move it to photo shop there is noise in it that i got rid of in Camera Raw.

P1040861.jpg

View attachment 70436

stopped hearing them this year ......... not seen one for years ...... although I hear them every year

well done Phil

Back