What is the photograph you are bored rigid from seeing

Anyone want to see my pics of Durdle Door?! :p
One of our club members has the only original shot of Durdle Door that I've ever seen.
It was taken by a drone, flown out over the sea and looking back towards the land.
It's a view of the arch, from the seaward side, that I expect very few people have seen.

If anyone didn't think this thread was less than serious I reckon they must be bored with life.
Makes about as much sense as the original comment with that phrase.

Tried to be magnanimous with my responses, but my god there are some humourless people on here.
Honest answer is I couldn't care less, but thanks to those who responded in the way it was intended.

Last edited:
Tried to be magnanimous with my responses, but my god there are some humourless people on here.
The thing to remember about internattering is that the poster proposes but the reader disposes. Oh yes: that little smiley on the tool line? Using some of the little pictures gives the reader a clue as to your meaning as well...

:coat:

Bored now. Skipped through the last two forum pages.

What aren't I supposed to like?

Bored now. Skipped through the last two forum pages.

What aren't I supposed to like?
Curiously enough, some people don’t like some things and other people don’t like different things, and some people don't have strong opinions on it, who would have thought that we are all different? You’ll just have to make up your own mind :)

I don't post on here very often, I just use it as inspiration/information. I personally find photos with no story or anything going on least interesting. I like film photographs as I admire the skill in using something so complicated and getting great results. If I had to choose something I find boring is photos that took moments to take but hours in post processing to make interesting, I don't like the processed photo look. Also bird photos, I can't stand birds.

What?! Chicken feet is the best for breakfast.

otvsyrX.jpg

(I am semi-serious!)
Have just a read a good book called Chinglish which charts a Chinese girl growing up in her parents takeaway in uk during the eighties. Great read but she hates chicken feet!!!

I know this is going to be unpopular with some people, but someone has to say it!

All landscapes!

They've all been done before! If I see one more photo of a mountain reflected in a lake, rocks and heather, or flipping Glencoe I'll scream!

Yes, we've all taken them. Yes, they can look very pretty. Yes, friends and family seem to like them. Yes, some of them require photographic skill, personal effort, braving of the elements, getting up when it's still dark to set up the shot in time, etc. etc. But they've all been done before... and for that reason I'm bored stiff by them!

In that case as everything landscapes/portraits/wildlife/sports etc etc have all 'been done before' I guess we should all give up and take up cross stitch! :LOL::LOL:

maybe I’m too easy going but it doesn’t bother me what people take pictures of if I’m not interested I don’t look
If someone is happy with what they are doing then that’s all that matters

While I agree that some landscapes have been "done to death", for example the gate on Mam Tor at sunrise..
As its a view I enjoy, I'd much rather spend a few mornings going out and getting the shot myself so I could hang it on my wall, instead of buying one already done by someone else.

Replication isn't a bad thing

While I agree that some landscapes have been "done to death", for example the gate on Mam Tor at sunrise..
As its a view I enjoy, I'd much rather spend a few mornings going out and getting the shot myself so I could hang it on my wall, instead of buying one already done by someone else.

Replication isn't a bad thing

For landscapes, the challenge for me is to see a good photo, instead of wanting THAT photo, I want to go to that spot and get my OWN photo. Replication is a part of it, but also that’s part of the challenge.

I plan to take a day trip out of Tokyo next month for this 1 single photo…I am hoping I have the right lens (70-200) as it needs the compression for it to work.

unev47G.png

(Sorry, couldn't resist ;))

Last edited:
For landscapes, the challenge for me is to see a good photo, instead of wanting THAT photo, I want to go to that spot and get my OWN photo. Replication is a part of it, but also that’s part of the challenge.

I plan to take a day trip out of Tokyo next month for this 1 single photo…I am hoping I have the right lens (70-200) as it needs the compression for it to work.

unev47G.png
I think that's a good example of someone thinking and 'seeing' a great shot. How many people would have chosen a landscape shot of the mountain, or a street shot? Someone dared to be different and has something that really stands out. However, I'm not too keen of the lady in white on the crossing, it seems a bit staged to me, almost as if it's one genera too many, I'd have rather have waited for another figure or vehicle to give scale... but I may have found that didn't work as well after all. Anyway, that's just my taste though, and not a judgement. Would I seek to copy it almost exactly? No, but I'm happy to take influence from it and use it to help me 'see' my own photos. That's just me though, and others will differ, so each to their own. (y)

The overriding and prevailing sentiment here seems to be that it's all been done before. And that's true... until, of course, someone does something nobody has done before.:)

I'm reminded of this famous saying which could also be interpreted in a photographic sense: "Everything that can be invented has been invented." But it appears that quote has been done before and is in fact apocryphal...

A joke from Punch magazine 1899: In colloquy, a genius asked "isn't there a clerk who can examine patents?" A boy replied "Quite unnecessary, Sir. Everything that can be invented has been invented."

And then when someone actually does something different, it's generally decried. Remember Rhein II by Andreas Gursky?
https://expertphotography.com/the-worlds-most-expensive-photo-what-makes-it-so-great/

Reactions: Sky

(Sorry, couldn't resist ;))
Part of this is the accessibility. If a Landscape in "on your doorstep" then getting out when the conditions are right (season, time of day, weather aspects) then it is easier to capture an original image of it.

Example: Milau Viaduct when the columns are shrouded in fog showing only the road platform seemingly eerily floating on the "cloud" . This only will happen when its cold in the valley and the atmospheric conditions are right. So more likely in the shoulder months and in particular the transition from autumn to winter. And even then its luck of the draw on the day as to whether it happens. So unless you're located within 30 or so miles of it its not likely you'll be able to nip out to get the shot.

Somewhat less of a rare occurrence with the Golden Gate Bridge as the foggy conditions occur more often but still if you're "holidaying" in the BAy Area and want to get the shot you're still a bit hit and miss as to getting a day with the right "look". Far easier for a local photographer to capture.

The response to photos like this that makes me smile is "I could have done that" or "Anyone could have done that"
We can all do most things..... the secret is thinking of them in the first place

We can all do most things..... the secret is thinking of them in the first place

Thinking - that's been done before as well, hasn't it? No point in repeating it. :)

Surprised no one has mentioned images of females lit with a single (Godox?) Octa at 45/45 and an underexposed background. Every second post on IG seems to be one of these.

Regards...

Surprised no one has mentioned images of females lit with a single (Godox?) Octa at 45/45 and an underexposed background. Every second post on IG seems to be one of these.

Regards...

It depends what accounts you follow :p

I think that's a good example of someone thinking and 'seeing' a great shot. How many people would have chosen a landscape shot of the mountain, or a street shot? Someone dared to be different and has something that really stands out. However, I'm not too keen of the lady in white on the crossing, it seems a bit staged to me, almost as if it's one genera too many, I'd have rather have waited for another figure or vehicle to give scale... but I may have found that didn't work as well after all. Anyway, that's just my taste though, and not a judgement. Would I seek to copy it almost exactly? No, but I'm happy to take influence from it and use it to help me 'see' my own photos. That's just me though, and others will differ, so each to their own. (y)

Yes and no to that female in the shot, she certainly draws the eye and being a single person instead of a group it is more mysterious and you can paint your own story more as opposed to say a bunch of kids in uniform.

As for recreating it 100% the same, that is never my goal, my goal is to go to that location and get a photo i am most happy with. Also, that photo with where the sun is suggests it is a morning shot. With partial snow on Mt Fuji it's from Autumn to early Spring time. I would figure early 7am, hence there is a lack of traffic and people in the photo.

I will not be able to get there for that hour as I am not going to be staying overnight in the area so I am hoping for a sunset shot, but the sun will be more behind Mr Fuji, slight to the right. And it will have a lot more people. It will look completely different.

It depends what accounts you follow :p

Yes and no to that female in the shot, she certainly draws the eye and being a single person instead of a group it is more mysterious and you can paint your own story more as opposed to say a bunch of kids in uniform.

As for recreating it 100% the same, that is never my goal, my goal is to go to that location and get a photo i am most happy with. Also, that photo with where the sun is suggests it is a morning shot. With partial snow on Mt Fuji it's from Autumn to early Spring time. I would figure early 7am, hence there is a lack of traffic and people in the photo.

I will not be able to get there for that hour as I am not going to be staying overnight in the area so I am hoping for a sunset shot, but the sun will be more behind Mr Fuji, slight to the right. And it will have a lot more people. It will look completely different.
Glad to hear that (not that my opinion really matters much to anyone but me!), I wish you a safe journey, best of luck and don't forget to share the results with us. (y)

Glad to hear that (not that my opinion really matters much to anyone but me!), I wish you a safe journey, best of luck and don't forget to share the results with us. (y)

I better to clean my sensor, F16 is going to show every dust bunny!

I mean I would rather it be more empty and less people (hence distractions) in the shot but I will work with what I have.

Last edited:
I know this is going to be unpopular with some people, but someone has to say it!

All landscapes!

They've all been done before! If I see one more photo of a mountain reflected in a lake, rocks and heather, or flipping Glencoe I'll scream!

Yes, we've all taken them. Yes, they can look very pretty. Yes, friends and family seem to like them. Yes, some of them require photographic skill, personal effort, braving of the elements, getting up when it's still dark to set up the shot in time, etc. etc. But they've all been done before... and for that reason I'm bored stiff by them!

If you come to my area they certainly haven’t all been done before. Though I’ve done most of the nice wide views so am struggling for originality! The thing is, from the popular locations there are often other shots available (usually more intimate views or telephoto) but so many photographers are blind to that because they must capture the one everyone else takes. People can be very much like sheep rather than attempting to use their own imaginations.

Well, you will buy those things without a mirror to keep the cr*p off the sensor when you're changing lenses! ;)
My DSLR sensor attracts much more dust than the Olympus MFT. I think having a mirror flapping around actually stirs up the dust

Back