What was the last gig you went to?

Stadiums can be awful for gigs, but unfortunately if you want to see a particular band you can only go to where they are playing.

Stadium/Arenas are not for me at all. Been lucky getting to the front a couple of times, but 3 others in the seats were just dull.

Saw a rock band called Empyre this afternoon in Northampton Market Square as part of a festival. Also a little Jazz and forced myself to endure some Grime.

I finally got chance to see TOPS play a couple of weeks ago in Leeds. £7 a ticket!
Can't believe the amount that people pay to go to these stadiums for a gig!
I try to get out to gigs a couple of times a month. Have Alvvays, Beach Fossils, Ryley Walker and Margaret Glaspy coming up over the next couple of months

Iron Maiden at the O2 a couple of weeks ago. O2 dreadful as usual (sound quality is pants) but Maiden were on top form.

It was London, saw it advertised a while back, but didn't fancy the dome at all

Just been chatting to the chiropodist whilst my plates got a service and she saw GnR last week at the Olympic stadium.
Reckoned they were good, but apparently Axl looks like he had eaten his old self and some more

She also saw Evanescence last Wednesday, apparently the second night had more acoustic stuff. My Immortal needs the band coming in late on or at least I think it does

Last edited:
It was London, saw it advertised a while back, but didn't fancy the dome at all

Just been chatting to the chiropodist whilst my plates got a service and she saw GnR last week at the Olympic stadium.
Reckoned they were good, but apparently Axl looks like he had eaten his old self and some more

She also saw Evanescence last Wednesday, apparently the second night had more acoustic stuff. My Immortal needs the band coming in late on or at least I think it does

I think so too...like the single version.

Jeff Lynne's ELO at Wembley last night was just fantastic. No Richard Tandy on keyboards though as he is ill, but should be back later on in the tour. 5th time I've seen ELO now, 2nd time at Wembley, the first time being the old Stadium in '86. Disappointed in the amount of merchandise stock though. There were about 7 or 8 different T-shirt designs to choose from, but one specifically for Wembley, which sold out fairly quickly within an hour and most other styles were in short supply too. Still a fantastic show though. :)

Micky Flanagan at Sheffield Arena last night was just fantastic. I cried laughing.
No support, no merch to tempt you away from any more of your cash, just first part, break, second part, done.
2 hours + on stage, and hilarious.
Well worth the 460 mile round trip and hotel room for the night.

MarI Wilson in an unusual venue, All Saints Church in Huntingdon last Saturday 1st July

Not really my thing, but she was very good and the wife enjoyed it, nice setting too.

Last edited:
The usual 80s. Lionel Richie. Robbie Wms . Four Top 10 yrs ago. Bob Marley 70s. Human league. That's it.

Last gig I was at was Enter Shikari about 4 or 5 years ago.

The older I get the less arsed I can be to go and see bands live.

20 year old me would be disgusted with the amount of missed gig opportunities that 38 year old me has notched up......

Keep getting updates from Eventim since I bought a ticket from them

Latest one highlighted shows from Ed Sheeran and Phil Collins, just need Coldplay and they might as well offer a free noose and gibbet

The usual 80s. Lionel Richie. Robbie Wms . Four Top 10 yrs ago. Bob Marley 70s. Human league. That's it.

I saw Robbie at Knebworth a few years ago, but you can't class him as 80's!

I'm at gigs a lot. Last was Saturday at the Cambridge Big Weekend. Before that was;
Vieux Farka Toure
Download Festival
Slamdunk Festival
CKY

Then I've got quite a few more coming this year including Texas, James, Stray from the path, Shed Seven with Cast and Five Finger Death Punch

Old is remembering the first wave of British heavy metal or FWOBHM
If that is the emergence of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, then I'm old!

Great weekend for live music. Friday I saw Walkway - http://officialwalkway.com/tour.html - for the 4th time this year. They play mainly East Anglia but occasionally Kent, Sheffield and Lancs. Great live band playing own material and lots of 70s and 80s like Queen, Quo, Aerosmith, ACDC, GnR, Def Leppard etc... Most of their gigs are in pubs so free!

Last night was Slade - my favourite band and a real highlight. Will put a clip on here later. Support band (oxford based) Kassettika were pretty good, playing 70s stuff like Thin Lizzy, T Rex, Fleetwood Mac. Tempted to now go to the Oxford Slade gig on 21st.

Saw Steely Dan a few weeks ago at the O2 in London, ably supported by The Doobie Brothers.

Excellent gig, though as Walter Becker had recently passed away, it did feel a little flat to me but was perhaps a fitting tribute. There was an unattended microphone stand on stage throughout Steely Dan's set.

Knebworth was an epic concert, RW cried when he realised just how massive the turnout was
Saw Led Zeppelin at Knebworth in '79, they put on a pretty decent show ;)
As for RW, saw him in 2000 at the MEN Arena. The whole place was just bouncing. Properly memorable gig.

The last real gig I saw was at a little 3000 person place called the Baths Hall in Scunthorpe, very good place acoustically and small enough for an intimate gig yet large enough not to be too squashed, saw The Darkness perform the 10 year anniversary gig of Permission to land, fantastic show but a bit too loud

Been to three in the last couple of months - Suzanne Vega at the Colston Hall in Bristol, "The radiophonic workshop" (a band formed of ex-BBC employees) at the British Library near St. Pancras station and Richard Thompson also at the Colston Hall - solo acoustic rather than with a band this time and mesmerizingly good.

At times during the radiophonic workshop gig, Paddy Kingsland was playing an actual Theremin - I've been to a lot of concerts of electronic music but have never seen one of them being used in live performance before. They (of course) played the most famous piece to close the concert, on synthesizers rather than the bombastic orchestral rendering the beeb use nowadays, and introduced by Delia's original recording. Amazingly, a good portion of the audience were quite a bit younger than me, some of them looked like they were barely born when the BBC shut the department down :eek: (I was expecting everyone to be a good deal older than me).

Deep Purple the Long Goodbye tour support Europe and Cats in Space. A couple of weeks ago at N.I.A. Birmingham.
Superb night.

Back on the theme of the “last gig” that would have been to see chas and Dave ,performing somewhere near Llangollen as they had homes up here must have been around 30years ago though

Last gigs where in October, Gary Numan in Manchester - usual high energy show, Kathryn Ryan - funny enough. Greg Davies - the man is hilarious and finally Oh Wonder who were excellent and they were supported by Sigrid who was really good and got a tremendous reception.

Saw Alice Cooper a month back, and will be seeing Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull( at the Bradford Cathedral on Friday

Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott, couple of weeks ago in Newport, over 2 hours of music and chat, plus 3 encores

These guys. (Yes, I paid to see buskers.) Fantastic gig and the lead singer made the whole audience curry from stuff he'd grown on his allotment.

#realmusic

Last weekend, I saw a great band from Wales called Rusty Shackle. Highly recommended.

Steve.

Back