What was the last gig you went to?

I want to see her but Dublin, London and Edinburgh is just so damned unfair if you live near Birmingham
We live near Chester, so will be travelling up to Edinburgh to make a short break of it. She is over here so infrequently, so figured it was worth making an effort. We saw her in Liverpool a few years ago, just amazing.

Last edited:
I see she's supporting Counting Crows in Dublin as part of Blues Fest. Shouldn't that be the other way around.

What are the ticket prices for Edinburgh? I see it's £90 not including buyers tax for Dublin. Tempted to do a weekend in either

I see she's supporting Counting Crows in Dublin as part of Blues Fest. Shouldn't that be the other way around.

What are the ticket prices for Edinburgh? I see it's £90 not including buyers tax for Dublin. Tempted to do a weekend in either
£55 direct from the venue (ATG). I've no idea what the availability is we got them weeks ago. The date is Tues Oct 30th.

I want to see her but Dublin, London and Edinburgh is just so damned unfair if you live near Birmingham
I go to London for gigs quite often, if an artist is doing one UK performance it's unlikely to be in Bristol, after all.

Souless place and those two might have been a bit livelier standing at somewhere like the Hammersmith Odeon, sorry Apollo as it now is.
Iron Maiden are so big now that they have outgrown the early days at Hammersmith and long before that the pub at Maryland Point or the Ruskin Arms
Speaking of UFO, I seem to recall IM in the very early days doing a rather decent version of Doctor, Doctor and Stray's, All In Your Mind
AC/DC were also better early on at places like the Marquee, everyone standing and hot as hell

Maiden are one of very few bands that never lost their edge, Bruce still runs about the stage climbing up on stuff and jumping off with the energy of a demented toddler :D He's not lost the voice yet either, and they still do a fantastic visual display, giant props, fire, smoke, amazing lights etc ... they are definitely better suited to big Arenas

Maiden are one of very few bands that never lost their edge, Bruce still runs about the stage climbing up on stuff and jumping off with the energy of a demented toddler :D He's not lost the voice yet either, and they still do a fantastic visual display, giant props, fire, smoke, amazing lights etc ... they are definitely better suited to big Arenas

Some arenas are just soulless though despite how good the band is, I saw Bad Company at Earls Court, great band, but sound and atmosphere was dreadful.
Where have you seen Iron Maiden play?

Some arenas are just soulless though despite how good the band is,
I have seen several gigs at the O2, Maiden, Jeff Lynne's ELO, Rush, Nickleback, even Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, all from various seating positions and never found the place to be soulless.

I have seen several gigs at the O2, Maiden, Jeff Lynne's ELO, Rush, Nickleback, even Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, all from various seating positions and never found the place to be soulless.

If you enjoyed it that's all that matters, expect the two less active members of the audience did too.
Personally preferred smaller venues like Hammersmith and the Rainbow, not keen on sitting down either

If you enjoyed it that's all that matters, expect the two less active members of the audience did too.
Personally preferred smaller venues like Hammersmith and the Rainbow, not keen on sitting down either
Seats are for waiting for the band's to come on, as soon as the band's are out, it's up on your feet. ;)

Seats are for waiting for the band's to come on, as soon as the band's are out, it's up on your feet. ;)
Depends on the gig and to some extent where you're 'seated' plus what is happening around you.

If in the stalls, where the majority are standing, then go for it.

If in the Circle or Balcony where the majority may choose to sit whilst enjoying the show, then standing is just plain rude. There are often periods where everyone will be on their feet, but many really don't want to stand for the whole gig and don't really want to all night be looking at the backsides of the people in front who choose to stand. If on the other hand, the majority are standing, then go with it. Being the only seated person in a sea of others standing is no way to enjoy the gig.

At gigs, as in many things in life, going with the flow is best IMHO. I really don't like p!ssing off others, spoils my night too. YMMV of course.

I think the last gig I went to was Paul Rodgers on the FREE spirit tour, it was fantastic but let down by the support act (Deborah Bonham). Cost an arm and a leg too.

Depends on the gig and to some extent where you're 'seated' plus what is happening around you.
I have been going to gigs since 1980 (Rainbow at Wembley Arena) been to various venues, Hammersmith Odeon, The London Palladium, Albert Hall, Wembley Stadium (old and new) the afore mentioned Wembley Arena, Milton Keynes Bowl, Hyde Park, O2 Arena, Alban Arena, Audley End House all for rock concerts and for the inside venues been on the seated floor to many positions in seats around balconies etc. and never come across anyone who expected to be seated during the concert, maybe the support acts, but certainly not the main act. There will always be first timers, but they soon get the idea. Can't vouch for what goes on for other types of music, perhaps they do like to sit.

I have been going to gigs since 1980 (Rainbow at Wembley Arena

Dreadful gig, mini riot at the end and mixing desk smashed up, complete waste of time and money.
Total opposite to the Rainbow at the Rainbow gig a few years earlier, mind you not sure what possessed me to go and see the new pop band line up.

I have been going to gigs since 1980 (Rainbow at Wembley Arena) been to various venues, Hammersmith Odeon, The London Palladium, Albert Hall, Wembley Stadium (old and new) the afore mentioned Wembley Arena, Milton Keynes Bowl, Hyde Park, O2 Arena, Alban Arena, Audley End House all for rock concerts and for the inside venues been on the seated floor to many positions in seats around balconies etc. and never come across anyone who expected to be seated during the concert, maybe the support acts, but certainly not the main act. There will always be first timers, but they soon get the idea. Can't vouch for what goes on for other types of music, perhaps they do like to sit.

This doesn't need to turn into a p!ssing contest over who has been to the most gigs etc. FWIW I too have been going to all sorts of gigs for years (1975 was the first), including Knebworth in '79 for Led Zeppelin where unless you were down the front, standing was not a good idea. We tried it and got pelted with bottles and cans from behind. Sometimes it's cool to stand, sometimes it isn't. Even if standing is your preference, it's not always appropriate IMHO.

So as I say, depends on the gig, depends on what the majority are doing.

Some arenas are just soulless though despite how good the band is, I saw Bad Company at Earls Court, great band, but sound and atmosphere was dreadful.
Where have you seen Iron Maiden play?

Both O2s, Dublin and London, standing for the Dublin gif and seated for the London but nobody stayed sitting

Dreadful gig, mini riot at the end and mixing desk smashed up, complete waste of time and money.
You obviously went the wrong night. Nothing like that happened the night I went. Richie Blackmores Guitar solo had the framework in the roof resonating.

This doesn't need to turn into a p!ssing contest over who has been to the most gigs etc.
Who's making it a p***ing contest over who has been to the most gigs? I never even mentioned how many gigs i have been to, I simply pointed out from the first gig I attended in 1980 through to gigs this year in various venues from football stadiums and arenas to old cinemas/theatres, the vast majority of people have stood up.

Who's making it a p***ing contest over who has been to the most gigs? I never even mentioned how many gigs i have been to, I simply pointed out from the first gig I attended in 1980 through to gigs this year in various venues from football stadiums and arenas to old cinemas/theatres, the vast majority of people have stood up.
And I was merely pointing out that based on my own experiences of gigs in various venues some of which have been arenas or festivals, standing throughout the gig has not been universal and was/is not always appropriate. Different experiences, different views.

Taylor Swift at Wembley.

0KwQoLj.jpg

Sorry but I just don't see the point of going to see and hear a favorite artist in a setting like that.
I kind of agree, but sometimes, even often, that's the only opportunity you get to see an artist you like play live. For me, this sort of gig is more about the event than the artist per ce. It's also pretty impressive to see an artist performing to a very large audience. Takes a lot of confidence, especially a solo performer.

Sorry but I just don't see the point of going to see and hear a favorite artist in a setting like that.

Even more daft is paying out then watching the gig on a phone screen.,
Most of these teeny bopper artists are miming anyway so just buy the dvd

I used to enjoy Reading over the August bank holiday, about the right size crowd in my opinion

Last edited:
Saw Pink Floyd there thirty years ago and they were excellent, and to be honest unless an artist is prepared to do a fortnight of gigs in a smaller venue, it's either stadiums or a lot of disappointed people.

Saw Pink Floyd there thirty years ago and they were excellent, and to be honest unless an artist is prepared to do a fortnight of gigs in a smaller venue, it's either stadiums or a lot of disappointed people.
I too saw Pink Floyd at Wembley Stadium and then a couple of years later at London Arena Docklands (what became of that place ? It only seemed to exist for a few years) The performance, experience and atmosphere at both venues was fantastic.

TBH as a musician, in many ways bigger events are easier because of the lack of intimacy. The largest number of people I've ever played for as part of a band was around 1000-1200, and with that many people it's just a sea of faces. 20-50 people makes one much more self-conscious because they'll hear and see everything.

I too saw Pink Floyd at Wembley Stadium and then a couple of years later at London Arena Docklands (what became of that place ? It only seemed to exist for a few years) The performance, experience and atmosphere at both venues was fantastic.

Never got to see Pink Floyd unfortunately. One of a number that got away....

TBH as a musician, in many ways bigger events are easier because of the lack of intimacy. The largest number of people I've ever played for as part of a band was around 1000-1200, and with that many people it's just a sea of faces. 20-50 people makes one much more self-conscious because they'll hear and see everything.

I've done presentations to 1000+, but the biggest audiences we had as a band were around 300-400. I'd agree that performing to small groups presents pressure, but playing to 100,000+ on a big stage must be pretty daunting.

Last edited:
My sons are both a tad jealous of me having seen Pink Floyd and Queen.
Queen, Shear Heart Attack Tour (supported by Hustler) was my first gig, in Oxford. I thought it was '75, but just looked it up and it was November '74.

I prefer it the other way round. I much prefer playing to a small group in a pub to larger venues.

Steve.

My sons are both a tad jealous of me having seen Pink Floyd and Queen.
Queen (free) at Hyde Park and Pink Floyd at The Empire Pool Wembley. Then hundreds of other gigs and sets of sizes varying between 250,000 and 200.

Oops, sorry, I shouldn’t be dribbling pee :exit:

The last one I remember was Andy Fairweather Low last month. Excellent.

One of my favourite live bands was The SAHB, stadium would have ruined their act

I’ve not been to a single concert this year. Soon to change though as I just won tickets to go see Soft Cell!

I prefer it the other way round. I much prefer playing to a small group in a pub to larger venues.

Steve.
I asked Brian Johnson which he found most nerve racking, singing to a packed stadium or motor racing in front of maybe a few thousand. His answer was first time round Paddock Hill Bend at Brands Hatch, it was we, the car swapped ends and he went down backwards. Same as when he was on Top Gear, he reckoned his backside was twitching like a rabbits nose. :)

Seen Natalie Merchant then Deacon Blue a few weeks ago. Got Nathan Bell, Christy Moore and Deacon Blue coming up later this year. Seen Suzanne Vega and Smokie earlier this year.

Seen Natalie Merchant then Deacon Blue a few weeks ago. Got Nathan Bell, Christy Moore and Deacon Blue coming up later this year. Seen Suzanne Vega and Smokie earlier this year.

Christy Moore that man is pure class, saw him at Barrowland Glasgow a few years ago, a great gig in a brilliant venue.

He's not, deaf as a post and other health issues, mind you he is seventy now.
Sharp as a tack at the gig I saw, and thoroughly enjoying himself. Lots of banter with the crowd.

Back