What will be your next photography related purchase? Or what photography gear do you lust after?

I have to admit that I'm not a prolific photographer but I like to have the gear for when the opportunity arises or the mood takes me. Over the years, I have got the kit that meets my requirements (almost) - a Canon 50D body and zoom lenses taking me from 10mm to 500mm, a decent flash and a bunch of accessories - tripod, filters, reflectors etc. and a Lumix FZ200 for when hauling the DSLR gear is not plausible.

What I would like, if I had the cash, would be a long zoom bridge camera with a decent size sensor - like the Lumix FZ1000 - for when I don't want to or can't take all my DSLR gear. The small sensor of the FZ200 has its limits.

If I had a substantial winfdall like a lottery win, I would probably also go for an up-to-date DSLR body and a really fast long prime (most of my bird photography is hampered by low light conditions). I would be very tempted by a reasonably compact and weather-resistant mirrorless system too, as a half-way between a bridge camera and a DSLR set-up.

I've just bought a Nikon 14mm 2.8D prime lens for my Nikon D780 and F4 and F6.
I didn't realise there was a 14mm lens like that until recently so when I saw one I had to have it, I love 14-16mm lens range.
Should be arriving tomorrow.

Unfortunately Yes :rolleyes:
Sold it along with the 12mm and bought the Sony 12-24G.
Although I like the 12-24, now that I have the Sony 20mm the 15mm would be a good stable mate.
Perhaps the 12-24 will be the next to go :thinking:

You're suffering what I ultimately had with the Nikon Gear, a range of lens with focal length overlap. For landscapes it's not necessary. Only reason I ended up with a mix of primes and zooms is some of the zooms weren't up to scratch with softer edges. Unless there is a problem with the 12-24 in this regard you are probably well served by it, then a 24-70 and 70-100 or 24-105 and 100-400. Two bodies, 3 zooms, it's ideal.

That's what I like re the 645z system, 28-45, 45-85, 80-160 - no real overlap and I have an FF system to take over for when the 80-160 loses sharpness (around 120mm) or if I need VR to handhold.

You're suffering what I ultimately had with the Nikon Gear, a range of lens with focal length overlap. For landscapes it's not necessary. Only reason I ended up with a mix of primes and zooms is some of the zooms weren't up to scratch with softer edges. Unless there is a problem with the 12-24 in this regard you are probably well served by it, then a 24-70 and 70-100 or 24-105 and 100-400. Two bodies, 3 zooms, it's ideal.

That's what I like re the 645z system, 28-45, 45-85, 80-160 - no real overlap and I have an FF system to take over for when the 80-160 loses sharpness (around 120mm) or if I need VR to handhold.
My a7R4a setup is 12-24, 24-105 & 70-350 (apsc lens which gives an equivalent 105-525)
My a7c setup is Tamron 17-28 & 28-200 + 100-400
The Voigtlander 15mm I had was nice and light and along with the 20mm would probably be less bulky than the 12-24.
I'm quite happy with my lot at the moment to be honest.

BTW, Kiwi Paul are mates and it's a bit of a standing joke between us that whatever Paul gets, I get :D

Last edited:
Tou
My a7R4a setup is 12-24, 24-105 & 70-350 (apsc lens which gives an equivalent 105-525)
My a7c setup is Tamron 17-28 & 28-200 + 100-400
The Voigtlander 15mm I had was nice and light and along with the 20mm would probably be less bulky than the 12-24.
I'm quite happy with my lot at the moment to be honest.

BTW, Kiwi Paul are mates and it's a bit of a standing joke between us that whatever Paul gets, I get :D

You have a lot of FL overlap there. If I were to cherry pick your gear for me, A7R4, 12-24. 24-105 and 100-400 or maybe 20 1.8, 24-105 and 100-400

Tou

You have a lot of FL overlap there. If I were to cherry pick your gear for me, A7R4, 12-24. 24-105 and 100-400 or maybe 20 1.8, 24-105 and 100-400
My setup works well for me.
Thing is the 24-105 does it all and its very rare that I have to swap lenses.
The a7c kit is used when away in the motorhome or hiking - smaller, lighter but still produces the goods.

I spotted a film era lens I fancied but I have a different make similar lens in a different mount and when I googled X v Y I found that the lens I already have is considered to be better than the one I was thinking of buying. Damn. That'll teach me. Next time I'll resist googling and just buy the lens.

What will you for for? R5, R6, A7RIV, GFX50s, 50sII or 100s, or will you go for the 645z and run some form of FF system still?
Nobody knows yet. Not even myself

Come on it's not hard when there is only two correct answers ;)
GFX100s or A7RIV :D
Part of me is hoping there will be a V soon. But to be fair this one is going to be almost exclusively for client work and I'm not convinced they need 60MP / 100MP files nor I need the inconvenience of prepping and storing them. In other terms perhaps I'm just waiting for end of year special offers if that is even realistic.

It's probably going to be the newly announced Fujifilm Instax Link Wide printer. 86x106mm of ISO800 goodness paired with my favourite 35mm F-mount lenses on a D810. It's gonna be better than butter on toasted crumpets.

No idea what my next purchase will be but I lust for an A1, 35mm f1.4 GM, 50mm f1.2 GM, and to a lesser extend the 70-200mm f2.8 GM2.

I spent two weeks before Christmas telling myself that I had enough lenses. 12mm f/2.8, 16-35mm f/4, 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 58mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4. All my foreseeable needs covered. And then about a week ago I remembered I'd promised myself a 24-70mm f/2.8. I'm going to Hell.

I'm looking for a nice EF portrait lens. Then I look at my bank account. Two days later I repeat. Eventually step three will happen...

Just bought a Rollei Traveller 1 tripod that I can carry around with me when I do my London Night walk/shoots, and now will also go in my suitcase when I go to Turkey later this year :cool:

I 'think*' that my current gear is more than enough to serve me in almost any situation I find myself. It's certainly more capable than I am.

A recent purchase of a Compact (Canon G5 X - review and pics here) has almost rendered my 80D and all the EF-S lenses null and void. I certainly rarely pick it up these days, if I want small and transportable, the G5 comes with me, if I want a decent sensor then I have a 5D3.

*know

I spent two weeks before Christmas telling myself that I had enough lenses. 12mm f/2.8, 16-35mm f/4, 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 58mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4. All my foreseeable needs covered. And then about a week ago I remembered I'd promised myself a 24-70mm f/2.8. I'm going to Hell.
There isn't such a thing as enough lenses, I've told myself that sooooo many times, resistance is futile, GAS always wins in the end :LOL:

Just bought a Rollei Traveller 1 tripod that I can carry around with me when I do my London Night walk/shoots, and now will also go in my suitcase when I go to Turkey later this year :cool:
What were you planning on putting on it? I’d not seen them mentioned before and I’d been looking at a 3legged thing Ray, as I’d like to slip it onto a bag while in London, but it certainly looks interesting!

Just looking at simplifying my kit really. Shooting less landscapes and more family stuff, the X100F has gone, 50-140mm has gone, X-T2 is going. Just looking for some primes to go with my Xpro2 now! Smaller the better :)

Still doesn't stop me lusting after a Leica Q2 or M11!

What were you planning on putting on it? I’d not seen them mentioned before and I’d been looking at a 3legged thing Ray, as I’d like to slip it onto a bag while in London, but it certainly looks interesting!
A Sony A7R3 and 24-105 f4…with L bracket. The weight of all that combined is a smidge under 2kg, and the tripod is rated at 5kg, so should be fine. The tripod itself seems ok quality wise. This won’t be used for anything but travel and walks, which is why I didn’t want to spend too much. I went for the Aluminium version which was around £60 on Amazon.

I received the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Lens today, quick delivery considering I only pressed "Buy Now" about 11:30am yesterday and it arrived before midday today!!
Certainly looks to be in excellent condition and all my tests so far have been fine. It came without the tripod collar, lens hood and front lens cap but there was a tripod collar on E bay I have ordered and Bristol cameras have the Nikon lens hood and lens cap so ordered that too. I knew it didn't have them when I bought it but the price was reduced allowing for that so a good deal.
Now to take it out... but the sun has just gone after 5 days of glorious sunshine, typical:rolleyes:

A Sony A7R3 and 24-105 f4…with L bracket. The weight of all that combined is a smidge under 2kg, and the tripod is rated at 5kg, so should be fine. The tripod itself seems ok quality wise. This won’t be used for anything but travel and walks, which is why I didn’t want to spend too much. I went for the Aluminium version which was around £60 on Amazon.
Sounds good, I am looking for something similar for a Canon R6 and 24-105mm, sounds ideal!

I only shoot wildlife and recently had a total knee replacement.........so I have just bought this Land Rover 90, that will save me a lot of walking to remote woodland locations.

It can also double up as a mobile hide. ;)

IMG_2155 by Glynn Hobbs, on Flick

It's just a camo net away from a hide ;)

Back