What will be your next photography related purchase? Or what photography gear do you lust after?

Ah nice. Will work nicely on those.
Kinda tempted by the M6II and 100-400mm myself. Too bad they left out the EVF and the add on isn't cheap :-/

I had one a couple of years ago, sold it and kept the Sigma 150-600mm sport .... Instantly regretted it.

Fabulous lens on the M5 body, leaving the EVF off the M6II was madness iMO.

M5

RIAT 2018
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

I had one a couple of years ago, sold it and kept the Sigma 150-600mm sport .... Instantly regretted it.

Fabulous lens on the M5 body, leaving the EVF off the M6II was madness iMO.

M5

RIAT 2018
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

I'm glad it's going to a good home. Only reason for sale is I didn't gel with the body I attached it to and found the 5ds a little light on DR, features and build quality.

Another m/f Nikkor Ai-s 50/1.4...

I say 'another' as I thought I had one already, but it wasn't in the Peli case with all my other analogue kit when I looked, so I think I may have sold - or more likely given - it to a mate in London who was shooting weddings using m/f lenses on a Nikon Df at the time...
Annoyingly it had an original lens hood too, which alone costs between 30 and 50 quid on Ebay now, so I'll probably be getting a generic HN-3 or something similar - which is shorter, but it'll do the job - for 7 Euros.

That's only a bit of an understatement :ROFLMAO:

I compared some side by side shots from the old Nikon. In isolation it is actually ok but it's just not as clean an image. Maybe the 645z and Nikons prior to this got my spoiled but I am. I'll be more confident editing the files when I get back from my one month in Spain from the D850.

Well I finally decided to go for it and bought a mint condition Nikon F6 today. Resistance was futile. Be a week or 2 before I get it though.
Nice...You'll have to do a review on it. :pompous:

Out of interest, how much did you pay?
Just noticed Amazon.de are selling brand new F6 bodies for €800
View attachment 328640
I paid £830 + postage, so it may have been better to get the one from Amazon although as we are no longer part of the EU I imagine there will be 20% import tax added to that price so it may work out about the same.
I never thought to check on amazon.de

I switched to sony from canon around 18 months ago. Im happy with my cameras A9 A7RIV A7III but I am still looking at finalising my lens line up. My current 70-200 is the Sony f4 but really I need a f2.8. I'm trying to be patient as Im hoping the new sony f2.8 will be smaller and lighter. If it is that will be my next lens. I love my sony 35mm f1.8 but may move up to the f1.4 gm

Just been totally spoilt by hubby with the Z 70-200 f/2.8 S. I had the Tamron 150-600 G2, but it was just a bit too unwieldy for me as I have carpal tunnel el in my left arm now (already have it mild in right arm). I traded it in with mbp for a excellent condition Nikon AF-S 105mm f/2.8 VR IF ED G Macro :)

I think it’s gonna be a choice between the Z TC 1.4x or a good Nikon F5 & AF-D 50mm for my occasional retro desire and to live in my display cabinet next to my Practika manual and Canon EOS 600. Those memories eh?

…guess I had better get the big zoom paid off first or hubby will blow several gaskets I love him too much for that :)

Yeh, I am admitting to a little bit of sharing my nice new toys; but it has been 11 years since I had to sell my Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 non-VR. I am so keen to have it arrive so I can have a little time outdoors and look for butterflies, magpies, bunnies/hares etc. It’s all part of our plan to help me function with my PTSD by going outdoors with my camera, and hubby with his.

I must admit to one piece of envy is to trade up my Z5 to a mk II 6 or 7, unless there is a mkII Z5 by then (it will be early next summer before I am allowed out to play with his credit cards ;)

there I feel better just for sharing. Stay safe and have fun everyone.

Just picked up a couple of old CZJ lenses m42 Mount a 20mm F4 Flektogon and a 135mm f2.8 Sonnar Boxed fo £75
Absolutely made up with both of them

Attachments

• 9B1027EE-02FE-470E-B375-27DEEA47E95B.jpeg
    9B1027EE-02FE-470E-B375-27DEEA47E95B.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 2
An M5 (I have gear to sell to buy it and a reasonable excuse for needing it - daughters wedding) :)
But I would really like a super tele to take to the zoo and do a bit of casual wildlife and maybe sports for fun - but it's so little use I can't justify the cost. :(
So - to update this post, got the M5 and have sorta enjoyed it, used it mostly as a travel camera, but in reality I think I did that simply to justify its existence.

So I think I’m moving on all my M and EF-S kit now to get an R6. Though who knows when I’ll get round to it.

I've not long changed from Canon to Sony (for personal work - still use canon at work) - Got a A7R III back in may - my partner picked up a A7III at the photography show yesterday - looking forward to getting them both out and seeing their true capabilities !

So - to update this post, got the M5 and have sorta enjoyed it, used it mostly as a travel camera, but in reality I think I did that simply to justify its existence.

So I think I’m moving on all my M and EF-S kit now to get an R6. Though who knows when I’ll get round to it.

You could transition more slowly to the R6 - with the EFS-RF adapter you could keep your EF mount lenses and use them adapted on the R.

I recently bought an M5 and I love it. It's a back up to my 5Div and also used when I need to travel as light as possible for wildlife. It has impressed me, with the Sigma 150-600C, I have gotten some of my best Kingfisher images. The M5 is a little gem, I can't ever see me selling it. It's certainly much better than the 7D it replaced.

Purchased a Nikon Z5 with Z24_200mm yesterday from one of our forum members
Mainly because of my massive Arsenal of lenses that can be adapted to the body.

Well, after handling the Canon R's at the Photography Show I really want one now. I'm not greedy. The RP will do just fine.

Bugger. Wishing I hadn’t watched so many GFX 100s reviews.
Sell or Save...?

Keep the 50s II, you can upgrade later. Good time to do that is when you get a new PC.

50mp killed my last one, and my present one copes fine with 100mp and 150mp files I've sampled but you need a really high end machine to work. Min 128gb ram, I have 2x EPYC 7282s and RTX4000 and nVME drives.

You don't want a weak machine with 100mp.

Keep the 50s II, you can upgrade later. Good time to do that is when you get a new PC.

50mp killed my last one, and my present one copes fine with 100mp and 150mp files I've sampled but you need a really high end machine to work. Min 128gb ram, I have 2x EPYC 7282s and RTX4000 and nVME drives.

You don't want a weak machine with 100mp.
Steve. I cancelled the 50sii. Currently eye af is important to me hence my interest in the 100s which has phase detect af. Should be better. I’m going to try before I buy. May end up keeping my Sony gear. (Which would provide the necessary) Perhaps adding original used 50s with a prime. Way too unsure to commit funds at the moment.

I don't really lust after anything else at the moment. An A7rIIIa would be nice, but not really needed. Life has been busy outside photography recently, and I'm behind curating and processing pictures I already have.

Last edited:
Steve. I cancelled the 50sii. Currently eye af is important to me hence my interest in the 100s which has phase detect af. Should be better. I’m going to try before I buy. May end up keeping my Sony gear. (Which would provide the necessary) Perhaps adding original used 50s with a prime. Way too unsure to commit funds at the moment.
If you've cancelled just get the 100s. The ultimate mirrorless camera.

Beef up your machine. 200mb RAWs aren't for budget machines, that much I can tell you.

I seriously considering GFX100s before buying the A1.
For one lenses will be very expensive and I'd need to keep a second system for long reach anyway.

As much as I'd love a MF, think FF really hits the sweet spot in terms of reach, capabilities (AF, DoF, dynamic range etc), size and price.

I seriously considering GFX100s before buying the A1.
For one lenses will be very expensive and I'd need to keep a second system for long reach anyway.

As much as I'd love a MF, think FF really hits the sweet spot in terms of reach, capabilities (AF, DoF, dynamic range etc), size and price.

Are they more expensive though? - E Infinity now selling the GFX100s for well under £5k. Lens wise - are they massively dearer than G master 2.8s. No, they're cost wise around the same. They're not as fast but for a landscape system that matters not a bit.

Agree, you need a second system for reach - and that's been the only pitfall I've found with the 645 system - and it's there with the Fuji one to a lesser extent - you can get 100-200 zoom, then 250 prime, with nothing inbetween unless you adapt EF lenses and lose AF and gain vingetting. It's probably workable but not as good as a native system. The intermediate focal lengths are well covered by the GF system, actually I'd argue with the 45-100, 32-64 and 35-70 there's probably a bit too much overlap here, and not enough at the very short end and at the long end. The 23mm prime is lovely, I imagine all the primes will be lovely.

FF is a great all rounder, but MF for certain things like landscape and studio/posed portraits is a good bit better in my experience.

Are they more expensive though? - E Infinity now selling the GFX100s for well under £5k. Lens wise - are they massively dearer than G master 2.8s. No, they're cost wise around the same. They're not as fast but for a landscape system that matters not a bit.

Agree, you need a second system for reach - and that's been the only pitfall I've found with the 645 system - and it's there with the Fuji one to a lesser extent - you can get 100-200 zoom, then 250 prime, with nothing inbetween unless you adapt EF lenses and lose AF and gain vingetting. It's probably workable but not as good as a native system. The intermediate focal lengths are well covered by the GF system, actually I'd argue with the 45-100, 32-64 and 35-70 there's probably a bit too much overlap here, and not enough at the very short end and at the long end. The 23mm prime is lovely, I imagine all the primes will be lovely.

FF is a great all rounder, but MF for certain things like landscape and studio/posed portraits is a good bit better in my experience.
Even for portraits I like my 85mm f1.4 lens. fuji has a 110mm f2 which costs nearly 3.5 times what I paid for the Sigma 85mm ART.
Then there is my 35mm f1.4 (Sony GM) which is probably my favourite, its flawless even for nighttime photography, almost no coma even wide open.
The Sony 20mm f1.8 G is one of the best astro lenses if not the best.

Replacing these three on GFX will be pretty hard, not to mention I can use a lightweight star tracker with 20mm and 35mm because the lenses and body are light.
Then there is hiking....

If I win a lottery I'll hire a caddy and buy the GFX, till such time FF will have to do :ROFLMAO:

Even for portraits I like my 85mm f1.4 lens. fuji has a 110mm f2 which costs nearly 3.5 times what I paid for the Sigma 85mm ART.
Then there is my 35mm f1.4 (Sony GM) which is probably my favourite, its flawless even for nighttime photography, almost no coma even wide open.
The Sony 20mm f1.8 G is one of the best astro lenses if not the best.

Replacing these three on GFX will be pretty hard, not to mention I can use a lightweight star tracker with 20mm and 35mm because the lenses and body are light.
Then there is hiking....

If I win a lottery I'll hire a caddy and buy the GFX, till such time FF will have to do :ROFLMAO:

Hiking wise I doubt a GFX100S will be that bad, size wise it's roughly DSLR sized and as the glass isn't fast I doubt they're that heavy. They'll fit in all the bags you have and your present tripods will be fine.

The 645z and 28-45 are fine on a 190, it's the longer stuff that demands the bigger support. A GFX and 23mm or 30 will be miniscule compared to that.

You do have different demands to me though. I just do landscapes so a series of sharp all over the frame zooms is all I need and comparing GF to Sony GM prices it's not terrible

My next purchase will be 30 rolls of 120 Ilford Pan F Plus and some ID-11. For 35mm black and white, I'm finally going to thaw out my 150 foot roll of Kodak Technical Pan. Not sure which developer to use, so will first load a few 8 or 10 exposure rolls for testing. There's not much else I want or need.

I'm determined to streamline my collection of film gear that I never use or display. Everything was bought with the intention of using it but GAS got the better of me and I ended up with a fine accumulation of dusty storage boxes and silica gel packets. :coat:

I've been out of touch with developments over the last few years but since I've been picking it up again I've begun to have a hankering for a Fuji X-S10. Looks great and I'm already invested in the system as I bought an XP1 way back when. Unless I can find a reasonable X-T4. Or maybe an X-H1, with some budget to spare for another lens ... or there's the GFX range, I do enjoy shooting medium-format film ... or perhaps ... er ...

Nurse! Fetch the screens, it's happening again!

Well I've only just started out. Not sure what, if anything I should or need to buy next. I've got a camera, a few lenses, flash, tripod and bag.

I only have one memory card, so there, I can grab some memory cards lol.

Going forwards I would buy a FF camera with one macro lens, one lens for portraits and perhaps a general purpose one, but that's some way off.

Well, after finally using my Lowepro ProTactic 350AW for a few outings, I’m nearly, almost quite sure that I don’t like it…maybe, so yet another new bag may be on the horizon, dammit!

Back